Blockbuster: Hamilton Ferland Fox for Hanifin Lindholm

The_People1

2 minutes ago, manu11 said:

I think it's fair to say that Lindholm is a better player then Ferland and that Hamilton is a good chunk better then Hanifin right now. Now if Hanifin can become a top pairing guy in the next few years the value might even out. But why in the hell did we have to add a high potential RD on top of that. At the very least I would have expected a couple of 2nd's or a 1st to come back to our side to make this deal somewhat even. 

Exactly, I checked the trade to see if there were draft picks like a few 2nds or something and when it had nothing I was like we just got poochhed...though potentially better in the long run....this is a huge gamble that has every chance of not working out this stings a bit more cause Hamilton cost us a first kinda of a lateral move or backwards move BT said he didn’t want to do no?  Wonder if there is more behind the scenes here with Hamilton 

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel that this was a decent trade.

Ferland is going to be UFA in a year.

Fox was a signing risk.

Hamilton was rumoured to be a bad fit in the dressing room.

Lingholm is the Top 6 RW we've needed for a few years.

I've always liked Hanifin, he has improved every season.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Am I the only one okay with this trade?

Hamilton is the best player in this deal... Right now.  But Hanifin is trending into Norris material.  Much younger, tougher, meaner, etc.  

This also means Giordano - Brodie reunited for top pair.

Rumours were, Fox will be tough to sign because he's going to play 4 years in college.  Definitely a flight risk given he's going to be highly sought after.

Ferland, makes sense to trade him rather than drop him back to 3rd line.  He's at his peak trade value.  If the plan is Lindholm top line RW, then Ferland could go.  We've got Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Bennett on the left side so... Thanks for the memories Ferland!!  You rocked the Canucks in the best series ever!

To me, Lindholm can score 30 goals if he gets first line minutes all year long.  We've got our right shot top 6.

Given where they’re at now, it’s all could be. Every expert I’ve heard on radio about Hanifin is he’s not worth it. He’s not worth what the Canes were asking. Judging what we gave up, we overpaid.

Lindholm isn’t that right now. Sure you pay for some potential but he hasn’t been trending into a 30 goal guy and has been trending more bust for his draft position.

I agree they sold high on ferland. I think Ferland is a decent bottlom 6 guy who is a hit away from his career ehong over. That isn't a big deal for me. I also don't think he is the power forward people think, he's abondened that style due to injuries. 

Flames will be ok if Hanifin becomes a top paring gig and Lindholm can be a 20-25 goal scorer. Both of those CAN happen and the flames would be better but I'm not sure both will. Which is why I'm not happy with this deal. 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

Yup!

didnt need it to be both Ferland and Fox if they needed to add.

i think we should have done them in separate deals. At least gain a few picks out of it.

I am sure Treliving would have if he could. Say what you want about him, but he does his homework and he generally gets value in trades. 

Keep in mind both of these are top 5 picks living up to their potential. Lindholm was picked the spot before Monahan and Hanafin was drafted a few seasons ago. They clearly had more value then some here assumed. 

Ferland is a bottom 6 player that benefited from his line mates. Fox is a flight risk. These guys likely didn't have a huge amount of value and neither are terrible losses. 

Just now, The_People1 said:

Not to say Hanifin is that mean.  Just that Dougie is Jaybo version 2.0.  Wished Dougie would've been more nasty and have more Chris Pronger in him.  

Hanifin will be more punishing.  More steady.

100% agree that’s what I didn’t like about Hamilton and Jbow..they are good no2 D but lack the tough to be legit no1 D...if Hanifin can fill that void it’s a plus for the team it’s needed here 

4 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Why do you dislike it? Hamilton performed well in terms of scoring, but he is brutal using his size. Who knows what is going on with Fox? Ferland was a good guy to lose because of the concussion issue. He is also sporadic in terms of showing up. We got two young promising players who ranked high in their draft years and may well break out soon. It is a risky move for sure, but at least we didn't trade Hamilton for Stajan, Mayers, White, and Hagland. This trade addresses holes in the organization albeit at a significant cost. I will take a wait and see approach for now.

This trade I think shows who BP liked from his time with Carolina.

I also think we lost the trade from the basis of whoever gets the best player from trades perspective.

Hamilton is clearly the best player and has not reached his full potential yet. However:

• We are getting 2 first rounders back.. which is not a total loss.
  • Ferland seemed to disappear for half the season.
  • Fox had not played a game in NHL to show how good he might be.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Not to say Hanifin is that mean.  Just that Dougie is Jaybo version 2.0.  Wished Dougie would've been more nasty and have more Chris Pronger in him.  

Hanifin will be more punishing.  More steady.

I think that every defenceman who plays with Gio looks better than they are. I highly suspect that Hamilton's numbers may drop next year. What is the point of being big if you play small? Watch Brodie's numbers increase next year.

There was risk in keeping Fox given there seemed to be problems signing him. It is an unknown at the moment unless someone here has inside knowledge. Hamilton is no Pronger. He is JBO 2.0, and those attributes can be obtained from smaller players.

Ferland was at peak trade value, so well done there. Too streaky IMO.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Hanifin is only 21 years old and just put 32 points, I think there is a lot more upside there. He is 6'3" and can skate like the wind.

The fact that Hamilton was available by another team by the time he was 25, tells me a lot about him off the ice, and probably brought his value down.

We did get much younger.

Hamilton currently is better than Hanifin, but I think Hanifin will close the gap. Lindholm is significantly better than Ferland. Fox wasn't going to sign is way over rated anyways.

I agree with most of this. Not sure Fox is overrated, but if he wasn't going to sign then that is moot. 

Just now, Heartbreaker said:

Giordano - Hamilton > Giordano - Brodie

Love. 

True and they were one of the best pair in Luge till Hamilton came along...honey the chemistry is not lost...but I’m hopeful Gio gets traded soon too...age thing with him and after the raw deal with Iggy, 35 and older guys should be moved out while there is value for them...hate saying that I remember BTCing about him not being signed and going to Russia that one year...he has been a huge fav of mine for years but Father Time waits for not man so business is business and he’s an asset right now 

I have never been a huge Hamilton fan, so I am not really all that sad to see him go. I don't think he had that internal drive to get him or the team to the next level. He is very talented and did have 17 goals, but only 44 total points this year. Hanifin isn't far off of those totals and is 4 years younger.

Just now, JTech780 said:

I have never been a huge Hamilton fan, so I am not really all that sad to see him go. I don't think he had that internal drive to get him or the team to the next level. He is very talented and did have 17 goals, but only 44 total points this year. Hanifin isn't far off of those totals and is 4 years younger.

It seems to me that Gio is seriously underrated by our fans. He is the guy who is driving the defence. No matter who he is paired with, they prosper.

3 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I agree with most of this. Not sure Fox is overrated, but if he wasn't going to sign then that is moot. 

Even if Fox is a bit overrated, there is still buzz around him. Add to that he is a right handed offensive d-man who are generally sought after guys. And it's not like he's a UFA in August so I feel he shouldn't be just a throw in and has some decent value

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Hamilton doesn't have a brain, remember?

There's talk he's not a great locker room guy (but I think he's just a quiet anti-social person).  

Archived