Oilers

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I actually get it. I like O Reilly and think he’s underrated. Essentially your saying you feel he’s better than a late first next year. Reasonable imo. 

as much as some may suggest they should use that pick for help now, if your pitching to McDavid/Draisaitl I think they pitch needs to be based on how they are going to continue to build a winner not just next year. Oilers will be good next year it’s after that that becomes questionable and that’s where O Reilly can start factoring in.  Just moving the development curve up. 

we tend to think in the now too often, and it's good to do that but also think of the future...

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

we tend to think in the now too often, and it's good to do that but also think of the future...

There is some risk with a future pick.

It's top 12 protected, but missing the playoffs is still a good pick.

So it's a little interesting:

If it's top 12, Philly gets an unprotected 2026 1st.

If they trade the 2026 pick, they have to give up a 2025 unprotected 1st.

The Campbell deal was a bad one, the moment they signed it. Was a big gamble on a tandem goalie, at best.

The final year of Draisaitl at 8.5 and they've got 6.5m in dead cap. 

12.9m to sign eight players.

Only three picks in the 2025 draft. Full compliment of picks in 2026. Having to use a 1st, a year out for a rental isn't ideal.

35 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Campbell deal was a bad one, the moment they signed it. Was a big gamble on a tandem goalie, at best.

The final year of Draisaitl at 8.5 and they've got 6.5m in dead cap. 

12.9m to sign eight players.

Only three picks in the 2025 draft. Full compliment of picks in 2026. Having to use a 1st, a year out for a rental isn't ideal.

it’s what makes the Oilers hilarious. Not everything is going to go your way when putting a team together and you take risks that don’t pan out. But there big mistakes (Lucic, Campbell and Nurse) were all ones that were just bad ideas. Did them anyway and now it’s holding them back from where they really should Be 

Just now, cross16 said:

it’s what makes the Oilers hilarious. Not everything is going to go your way when putting a team together and you take risks that don’t pan out. But there big mistakes (Lucic, Campbell and Nurse) were all ones that were just bad ideas. Did them anyway and now it’s holding them back from where they really should Be 

Because of the Nurse contract, I've got a hard time seeing Bouchard signing for less than 10. I think he puts up 90-100pts next season.

I've seen a lot of Oiler fans thinking 12.5x8 for Draisaitl. I think he has a chance to reset the market. For a guy that's been underpaid for 8 seasons, he should be looking at 14x8. What's sneakily underrated though, he's 30 when that eight year deal kicks in.

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Because of the Nurse contract, I've got a hard time seeing Bouchard signing for less than 10. I think he puts up 90-100pts next season.

I've seen a lot of Oiler fans thinking 12.5x8 for Draisaitl. I think he has a chance to reset the market. For a guy that's been underpaid for 8 seasons, he should be looking at 14x8. What's sneakily underrated though, he's 30 when that eight year deal kicks in.

I know that some analysts have looked at it, but how much does he score without McDavid on the ice.  The Florida series seemed to be the reconing for them.  McD injured and Drai's scoring drais up.  No goals in the series.  I know he has shown he can fly alone but unless he has a top winger with him, not so much.

I'm not saying this is true, just what seems to be the case in games I have watched.  I would at least suggest that 90% of his PP goals relate directly to McD being there.  Toronto has the same kind of issue.  Marner, Matthews, Nylander and Tavares.  Take away one of them and are the C's as impressive.  And vice versa.

The idea of having more than one guy making max % against the cap is dangerous unless they are standalone guys.  I'm not sure EDM or TOR are in that situation.

13 minutes ago, Addicted said:

Was Holland's time with the Oilers done even if they had won the cup?

I think it was done when the hired Jeff Jackson. Was rumored at the time that Holland wasn’t happy about that as he felt he was hired to be the guy in hockey ops. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think it was done when the hired Jeff Jackson. Was rumored at the time that Holland wasn’t happy about that as he felt he was hired to be the guy in hockey ops. 

That would have been unprecedented I would think....win the cup, lose your job as the GM.  Even weird when they got the game 7.  NOt saying he's done a stellar job, but that usually isn't the path that's taken.

1 minute ago, Addicted said:

That would have been unprecedented I would think....win the cup, lose your job as the GM.  Even weird when they got the game 7.  NOt saying he's done a stellar job, but that usually isn't the path that's taken.

for sure. But it’s also pretty unprecedented that a team gets to the SCC in-spite of their GM

but your not wrong 

• Like 1

Edmonton is sneakily an old team.

Four forwards under the age of 30. Three D under the age of 30, soon to be two, Nurse turns thirty this season.

Their window may not be open as long as they'd hope. When a team drafts as poorly as the Oilers, they have to hit UFA hard. Not a recipe for building a sustainable contender.

Oilers getting Arvidsson and Skinner today and bringing back Janmark and Perry is all well and good, but their defense is objectively worse today than last year by bringing in Brown and Stecher.

it doesn’t seem to matter who is in management they keep repeating the same mistakes.

Just now, JTech780 said:

So when are we offer sheeting Holloway? 

Too funny.  Predatory moves against our nearest ugly cousin.

An offer that spans this and next year would put them in a nind.

Draisaitl re-signing and Campbell's $2.3.

This year dead cap is $3M

Bouchard needs a deal and he can go to arbitration if they don't pay him over 7.

I mean he will be POd and want to go.

I'm not sure Holloway is worth that much but to kill them mentally or cap, off $4x3

I too am surprised at the approach on D. It sounds strange given the lost the final game only 2-1 but I didn't want the playoffs thinking "oh if only the Oilers had a few more top 6 forwards.  Surprised that they come out of that and targeting their forwards as the place they wanted to add. 

Part of that is opportunity and they were smart to get Arvidsson and Skinner for what they did. Feels like they are reading too much into the Broberg sample size. Good 2 games and suddenly they seem to forget how bad he has been for his career. 

And to give them "depth" they signed a guy who has one of the worst analytic profiles over the last few years. 

Skinner and Arvidsson make sense. Hyman isn't likely to score 50 again. That regression is somewhat offset by Skinner/Arvidsson.

I think they realize that this is an important year. This is the best their forward group has looked on paper.'

The blueline though

Ekholm-Bouchard

Nurse-Ceci

Broberg-Kulak

It took 96% on the penalty kill for the Oilers to get to the final. That's not really repeatable. 

I'd like to see them play Vancouver again. This time with Demko though.