Oilers

6 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

We can assume in almost all cases it's mutual...

Speaking of walking away, how much longer do we think McDavid has there?    Surely people are placing bets on this

Both players have arb rights, so I can understand the reluctance to qualify them.

But seriously, what difference does that make?

They might sign their QO; at worst they are a trade asset.

If they go to arbitration, you ca walk away.

Neither player was treated like crap there, though I would question what went on with JJ after the KO from Ritchie.

Kahun was given a royal treatment and gifted minutes.

Although Kahun has the Oiler stink, he only spent a year there.

Another buy low option.

I guess at second look, this is the Oilers just looking to deal with them as UFA's.  

Or just completely have no interest.

Seems odd.

Well if Keith was brought in for leadership this being in the news isn't a glowing endorsement of the group he was once part of.

Former Blackhawks player describes alleged sexual assault in new court filing - TSN.ca

“In the years following the abuse of plaintiff, John Doe, by Aldrich, Plaintiff was subjected to humiliating trash talking by his teammates during scrimmages where coaches were present,” the court documents say. “The Blackhawks… permitted its players to repeatedly harass plaintiff by calling him a ‘f****t,’ and asking him if he couldn’t focus because he ‘wanted to suck someone off,’ among other similar harassing statements.”

Personally when the Keith rumors' started and all Western Canada teams were mentioned as his preferred destination.  I didn't want based on his clear decline, but deep down I had feelings this story was only going to get worse for everyone involved in the organization, and I felt it could be a distraction.  Not good, I would hope the league after making great statements in support of Luke Prokop would actually treat this as a serious issue worth investigating instead of pretending it didn't exist and basking in the glory of a dynasty which helped bring the league back to relevance in the states.

• Angry 1

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I guess the Lucic trade was the only real win for him.

Player starting to decline.  Oops, Neal is worse.

Player had NMC.  Oops, he waived it.

Player had high actual dollars owing.  Oops, he traded after major bonus paid, now owed less than Neal.

Only cost a 3rd rounder if Neal was able to score 21.  Oops, league prorated it.

His reputation still has some fooled that he is the right choice.

Some are catching on that he may be a quack.

Don't you remember that when they buy-out Neal's contract it means the Oilers won the trade? 

As expected, some fishy news out of EDM.

Klefbom will be on LTIR to start the season.

That's not a surprise.

What Holland said was that they need to be cap compliant on day 1.

In other words, Klefbom is going to be back sooner than later.

The (Oiler hacks) media had been trying to sell the idea that Klefbom was done.  Holland suggested the same.  No way was he coming back.  As such, a dumb choice for Seattle.  Now, he is basically just going to be on LTIR for a little while.  Fishy.  I don't think there's anything wrong with being coy, but it seems they were doing everything they could to imply he was done.    

Oiler faithful trying to convince themselves that Neal's buyout is a good thing.

$2.6m dead cap (combined with Lucic retained salary) for 2 years

$1.9m dead cap for an additional 2 years.

Getting rid of the NMC that would have resulted in them having to expose Kassian or Archibald.

Out goes Neal at age 33, in comes Hyman for ages 29 - 36.

4 of those years Hyman could be a 20 goal guy. 

I liked the Oilers trade of Foegele for Bear. Gives them a solid 3rd line winger so they don't need to rush Holloway into the lineup. Bear is a good player, but was never able to earn the trust of that coaching staff.

I have no idea what they are doing with their defence. Nurse is a stud and a legit #1 D, but aside from that, yikes.

Nurse-Barrie

Keith-Ceci

Russell-Bouchard

Lagesson

I see a group that is going to have a lot of troubles in their own end. That Ceci deal really surprised me, I can see that being one they end up regretting in 2 seasons. 

Not to mention they are going back to Koskinen/Smith again. 

I think the Oilers will be a playoff team thanks to 97 and 29, but I still don't love the rest of that team. They'll need to dip into LTIR just to get Yamamoto and Foegele done. Yamamoto is in that 2-2.5 range and Foegele has arb rights, he will earn a raise from his 2.1. 

This was the first offseason in a long time that the Oilers finally had cap space and to be honest, I don't think they are better. 

Hyman will fit in well, but the top 6 in EDM was never the issue. 

The defence could be a mess. I don't trust anyone they will be trotting out there aside from Nurse.

They are just asking for regression from their goaltending. Smith at age 39 won't be posting his best season since 2012 again.

^^^^^

Bear had the trust but had a down year.

I'm sure there is a bit of blame from the playoffs too.

Too bad, since I thought he was prett solid.

Maybe not $2m solid, but something like a good Kulak.

Smith is an injury waiting to happen and they didn't solve the backup/starter position.

Skinner is "the goalie of the future" yet he almost lost a blowout in Ottawa, where the Oilers needed 8 to be sure to win.

Hyman and Foegele are good adds.

Ryan gives them a RHS C, better than what McLeod provided but I think he is starting to fade.

Did they solve the depth issue at F, which is what they were supposed to do?

Lost Khaira and most likely Kahun.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

^^^^^

Bear had the trust but had a down year.

I'm sure there is a bit of blame from the playoffs too.

Too bad, since I thought he was prett solid.

Maybe not $2m solid, but something like a good Kulak.

Smith is an injury waiting to happen and they didn't solve the backup/starter position.

Skinner is "the goalie of the future" yet he almost lost a blowout in Ottawa, where the Oilers needed 8 to be sure to win.

Hyman and Foegele are good adds.

Ryan gives them a RHS C, better than what McLeod provided but I think he is starting to fade.

Did they solve the depth issue at F, which is what they were supposed to do?

Lost Khaira and most likely Kahun.

It looks to me like they will be similar or worse.    Now if they get the wrong injury in net, that's tough to handle.

I still can't believe McDavid hasn't requested a trade yet.

Yet

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I love how EDM fans think they got a far superior player over what he get in Coleman.

Somehow $5.5 x 7 is a steal and $4.9 x 6 is taken to the cleaners.

I heard Ceci's recently achieved the nickname of "Pylon", which I can only assume is endeering.

McDavid's only a 4 hour drive from a real NHL team should he choose to make the leap.

11 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I heard Ceci's recently achieved the nickname of "Pylon", which I can only assume is endeering.

McDavid's only a 4 hour drive from a real NHL team should he choose to make the leap.

4 hours - what?  Is he stopping at the donut shop in Red Deer?

Here is some of the general feelings about the team:

Koskinen - just trade him to ARI with a 1st for Kuemper, but no worries Smith is elite.  Can just buy him out though most don't understand buy out windows.

Nuge - 60 point average per season, elite player, term is a little long

Neal - still won the trade because we could buy him out

Barrie - a steal at $4.5 x 3, have other shutdown guys to make up for the lack of defense

Keith - elite, but concerned about overpaying salary

Ceci - had a few bad seasons, but became really good in PITTS, great shutdown D

Hyman - see comments above

Foegele - most don't even know who he is, but he can middle 6 with Kassian and Ryan and restores the depth

Ryan - elite RHS faceoff guy, top PK er

About Holland.  Most feel he did a great job.  Not many seem to be worried he is over the cap with 2 RFA's needing to be signed.  Trading a young D for middle 6 help, then signing Ceci was brilliant.  Bear had a bad year, and Ceci and Barrie gets them as a top playoff team with the cup window wide open.  It's good to be positive about your team, but they have put themselves back in cap jail.  Puljujarvi and Nurse needing deals next season, and the only major piece coming off is Koskinen.  In other words, they still don't have a starter.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

4 hours - what?  Is he stopping at the donut shop in Red Deer?

Here is some of the general feelings about the team:

Koskinen - just trade him to ARI with a 1st for Kuemper, but no worries Smith is elite.  Can just buy him out though most don't understand buy out windows.

Nuge - 60 point average per season, elite player, term is a little long

Neal - still won the trade because we could buy him out

Barrie - a steal at $4.5 x 3, have other shutdown guys to make up for the lack of defense

Keith - elite, but concerned about overpaying salary

Ceci - had a few bad seasons, but became really good in PITTS, great shutdown D

Hyman - see comments above

Foegele - most don't even know who he is, but he can middle 6 with Kassian and Ryan and restores the depth

Ryan - elite RHS faceoff guy, top PK er

About Holland.  Most feel he did a great job.  Not many seem to be worried he is over the cap with 2 RFA's needing to be signed.  Trading a young D for middle 6 help, then signing Ceci was brilliant.  Bear had a bad year, and Ceci and Barrie gets them as a top playoff team with the cup window wide open.  It's good to be positive about your team, but they have put themselves back in cap jail.  Puljujarvi and Nurse needing deals next season, and the only major piece coming off is Koskinen.  In other words, they still don't have a starter.

The Oilers are already so loaded up at D they'll never need Bear anyway.   Not that they need D when they've done so well with their goaltender situation.

When your main objective is driving the Oilers forward, you can expect driving to be on the slower side.

25 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

The Oilers are already so loaded up at D they'll never need Bear anyway.   Not that they need D when they've done so well with their goaltender situation.

When your main objective is driving the Oilers forward, you can expect driving to be on the slower side.

Most feel that Skinner is the goalie of the future.  Maybe they are right, but he had a rough outing against Ottawa in a 8-5 win.

Didn't want a goalie, opted for another scoring forward from the Q.

Yes, Bear was an extra.  They have Bouchard who many think will win the Calder with his NHL ready frame.

Keith and Ceci and Barrie add to the already lethal Nurse.

Expect some real barn burners.

When they play a team with a good goalie and D, they will probably be shut out 4-0.

They have lots of prospects that have looked good in junior or the AHL, but few translate to the NHL.  Holland has set up the team to be in cap jail for years to come.  And yet they have no elite D or G.  Nurse is good, at time really good, but he is too focused on offense and acting tough.

While it's easy to look at two of the best players in the league and project success, they are headed for a decline.  Too much salary to too few players.

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Most feel that Skinner is the goalie of the future.  Maybe they are right, but he had a rough outing against Ottawa in a 8-5 win.

Didn't want a goalie, opted for another scoring forward from the Q.

Yes, Bear was an extra.  They have Bouchard who many think will win the Calder with his NHL ready frame.

Keith and Ceci and Barrie add to the already lethal Nurse.

Expect some real barn burners.

When they play a team with a good goalie and D, they will probably be shut out 4-0.

They have lots of prospects that have looked good in junior or the AHL, but few translate to the NHL.  Holland has set up the team to be in cap jail for years to come.  And yet they have no elite D or G.  Nurse is good, at time really good, but he is too focused on offense and acting tough.

While it's easy to look at two of the best players in the league and project success, they are headed for a decline.  Too much salary to too few players.

Well I mean, it's not like you need a goalie when you have 39 year old Mike Smith taking you on a straight path to the cup.

The more high scoring guys from the Q the better, quite honestly I think if the Oilers moved to the QMJHL, they would do...ok.  in that league.   Food for thought.

Wait, they have two NHL-ready players?  Who's the second?

On 7/28/2021 at 11:26 PM, travel_dude said:

I love how EDM fans think they got a far superior player over what he get in Coleman.

Somehow $5.5 x 7 is a steal and $4.9 x 6 is taken to the cleaners.

Firstly, both teams are going to regret this signing in about 4 years.  It's just too much money for too long for a 29-year-old mid-tier player.

That said, Coleman has never enjoyed the luxury of playing with an Auston Matthews level of Center and still put up very similar numbers to Hyman who did.  Luckily for Hyman, he will get a chance to play with McDavid and/or Draisaitl so Hyman's numbers could be further ballooned for a few more years.  That doesn't mean he's better by any stretch.  Coleman and Hyman are pretty similar so for the Flames to get Coleman for $600k cheaper and 1-year less of a nightmare, I think the Flames win here.

Lastly, I like both players.  Just don't like the cap hit.  These are the type of cap hits you must avoid and the Flames have fallen into a Fear Of Missing Out and so panic signed Coleman.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Firstly, both teams are going to regret this signing in about 4 years.  It's just too much money for too long for a 29-year-old mid-tier player.

That said, Coleman has never enjoyed the luxury of playing with an Auston Matthews level of Center and still put up very similar numbers to Hyman who did.  Luckily for Hyman, he will get a chance to play with McDavid and/or Draisaitl so Hyman's numbers could be further ballooned for a few more years.  That doesn't mean he's better by any stretch.  Coleman and Hyman are pretty similar so for the Flames to get Coleman for $600k cheaper and 1-year less of a nightmare, I think the Flames win here.

Lastly, I like both players.  Just don't like the cap hit.  These are the type of cap hits you must avoid and the Flames have fallen into a Fear Of Missing Out and so panic signed Coleman.

Yeah, I'm not applauding the cap hit or term at all.  It's less than Neal or Lucic and he will be gone in 2.

Today's cap it's big.

In three years, not so much.

Really, I was just saying that it's not anywhere near as bad as a lot of UFA deals.

It's not like we are paying 4.9 for a 3rd line player.

ANd we aren't paying for a guy that already played with stars.

It sometimes comes down to what you don't do.

We didn't overpay for a 3rd pairing D.

We didn't pay big bucks for a 25 game backup.

We didn't trade a top 4 D for a forward.

https://oilersnation.com/2021/07/30/dfo-rundown-cost-for-joonas-korpisalo-might-be-mikko-koskinen-dmitri-samorukov-and-a-first-round-pick/

Oiler fans better hope this doesn't materialize. 

Korpisalo has been extremely inconsistent as an NHLer.

2015/16- .920

2016/17- .905

2017/18- .897

2018/19- .897

2019/20- .911

2020/21- .894

Not the type of tender I'd want to spend a 1st and Samorukov on. 

Koskinen as an Oiler 

2018/19- .906

2019/20- .917

2020/21- .899

Sure the Oilers free up cap room in this deal, but there's an argument to be made that Koskinen has been better than Korpisalo in recent years. 

16 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I agree with this.

I must emphasize though, that even the Flames' worst moves are nearly always surpassed by an order of magnitude by the dumb things the Oilers do.

A case in point here.

21 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-need-to-be-careful-to-avoid-a-karlsson-doughty-situation-with-darnell-nurse-nhl-insider-warns

What?  the Oilers have a cap issue?

Impossible!

Good thing they have the option of under-paying their only NHL defenceman.  that'll solve it.

$64m next year committed to 8 forwards, excluding Yamamoto's current deal and Puljujarvi's next deal.

5D signed, not including Nurse.

Smith as the only NHL goalie signed.

That sounds like a trainwreck.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

$64m next year committed to 8 forwards, excluding Yamamoto's current deal and Puljujarvi's next deal.

5D signed, not including Nurse.

Smith as the only NHL goalie signed.

That sounds like a trainwreck.

Smith is still an NHL goalie?