Oilers

2 hours ago, medatswhoP said:

No surprise to me at all, Oilers are just a dumping ground for black eyed players and now management for  all types of scandals (Perry, Kane, and now Bowman).  Classless organization, if I were an Oiler fan I would be very disappointed.

Oilers =  Get out of jail free card team. 

when you have the best player in the world you get (presidential) immunity as an organization. Break all the rules until you're not the best anymore. 

18 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Studies in contrast...

Bowman: remained silent.

Oilers fans: refusing to remain silent.

Fans don't seem to gaf about a great season anymore.

How tone-deaf does your ownership and mgmt groups have to be?

I guess we're finding out. Unbelievable.

I missed that.  Are the fans upset?  I haven't checked in with them because they are still butthurt.

Bridesmaids again.

Some can't even listen to the Scorpions because of who beat them.

Jeepers glad I am not an Oil fan.

Fanbase seems pretty PO'd.  Wonder how the players/captain feel about this?

Optics look really bad.   Perhaps the Oilers need to change their name?

Suggestions?

2 hours ago, Mike_Oxlong said:

Yeah, apparently many Oilers fans aren't the d-bags we thought them to be. Lots of vocal opposition to this hiring.

im actually quite surprised at the reaction. I thought you’d see alot of mental gymnastics by fans and media and your are actually seeing a lot questioning the Oilers. 

I could see this going really wrong for them especially because anything short of them winning a cup, which I personally think it’s probable, is going to be considered a fail 

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I am so excited for Bowman to trade Draisaitl for Saad.

maybe for Kane. The end of career. He has some ability left, but maybe it'll be a guy like that who is a shell, albeit, a good shell of their former self.

15 hours ago, robrob74 said:

maybe for Kane. The end of career. He has some ability left, but maybe it'll be a guy like that who is a shell, albeit, a good shell of their former self.

Bowman traded Panarin for Saad, then traded Saad for beans, then traded for Saad.

I read an Oiler blog and they mentioned his connection to Beech in every sentence they talked about Bowman.  I don't read many fan opinions, so I wasn't sure how the base felt.  The local fanboy media is doing the gymnastics to say he is a great hire and he never actually did anything.  That's kind of the point n'est pas?  

Anyway, he will do like Holland and make a really bad trade and a good trade.  Will be remembered for the good ones.

On 7/24/2024 at 3:58 PM, sak22 said:

The bold move at the time was to dump Hossa after a Cup win to keep Byfuglien, Versteeg, Bolland, and Brouwer.  The workhorses.  But no.  All the muscles left.  Keeping Byfuglien alone would have been worth it.  And then Hossa developed an allergy to hockey equipment.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The bold move at the time was to dump Hossa after a Cup win to keep Byfuglien, Versteeg, Bolland, and Brouwer.  The workhorses.  But no.  All the muscles left.  Keeping Byfuglien alone would have been worth it.  And then Hossa developed an allergy to hockey equipment.

ya, it was baffling at the time why they'd trade Byfuglien. He was dominant that he'd have been a no brainer. Young too. Maybe not as prolific as he was in the 'Peg, but he was definitely trending up. 

I love how he came to play D, he was like, you mean I can be lazy yet still dominate, ok I'm in! Not quite like that, but I think the less skating thing was the deal for him. Yet D usually have to skate in most other parts of the game. 

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Hossa finished year 1 of a 12 year deal and had a NMC.  They won 2 cups after trading all those guys.  Even moving Hossa you don’t keep all of them as his cap hit wasn’t that bad.  

On 7/26/2024 at 11:22 AM, rocketdoctor said:

Jeepers glad I am not an Oil fan.

Fanbase seems pretty PO'd.  Wonder how the players/captain feel about this?

Optics look really bad.   Perhaps the Oilers need to change their name?

Suggestions?

Quite surprisingly, Predators is already taken

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2024 at 10:07 PM, The_People1 said:

You kinda have to understand Byfuglien though.

He billeted in Prince Albert with a buddy of mine's fam. He needed a tracking collar. lol

My buddy's parents were constantly trying to fetch him for hockey schedule.

Hunting and fishing, and he does not gaf about anything else. My buddy is amazed that he got to the NHL.

He's now considered a professional fisherman, so I'm guessing he's pretty darned happy.

I'm zero surprised by the mutual contract termination with the Jets.

The Satoshi Nakamoto my buddy was telling me about him in jr just blew me away.

Imagine being that guy. Raking in millions, yet you just don't gaf.

Pretty wild. One-of-a-kind for sure. Who gets away with that attitude? Nobody. Just him.

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestion on how to get rid of the LTIR complaints, how punishing the teams for playing them hurt.  I don't doubt that Mike Smith had issues preventing him from playing, but I don't think those suddenly occurred in the offseason or that it was a direct result of the elimination goal.  Kane was well known to be injured much of the playoffs and still played and was even a game time decision for the last few games of the finals, if he is a game time decision for the last game of the previous season he shouldn't provide relief for the next season.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

Suggestion on how to get rid of the LTIR complaints, how punishing the teams for playing them hurt.  I don't doubt that Mike Smith had issues preventing him from playing, but I don't think those suddenly occurred in the offseason or that it was a direct result of the elimination goal.  Kane was well known to be injured much of the playoffs and still played and was even a game time decision for the last few games of the finals, if he is a game time decision for the last game of the previous season he shouldn't provide relief for the next season.  

The only saving grace for this being remotely fair is that they can't just claim LTIR on the day before the season starts.  They have $300k of cap and have to sign two RFA's.  I suppose they could sign both for cheap deals (less than $1.2M) and park them in the AHL until Kane goes on LTIR.  I guess they miss out on camp.  

The downside to the LTIR is they bank no cap space using it.  So, when Kane comes back, they still need to make a move.

Likely Ceci is a goner if Kane is header for LTIR.  If not, they are both traded.

I think the NHL needs to look at LTIR for the TDL to playoffs. I think it's being abused there for sure. 

As a concept I don't think LTIR is nearly as bad as most fans make it out to be. There's risks and downsides to it, it isn't the "loophole" it's billed as by some. 

I think you make a great point of why is the team benefiting when they likely pushed the player. Player safety is a great question and one i'm shocked to this day the PA just never seems to want to address. I guess at the end of the day players get their money so they don't speak up but that is what is broken to me in the system but I think that's on the union to figure out why they seem to not actually care that their players/members are safer. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sak22 said:

I fully agree. a work around though could be they say he injured himself training. But you're right, maybe if they're on the score sheet and complete the last game, maybe they have to count toward cap to start the next season.

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think the NHL needs to look at LTIR for the TDL to playoffs. I think it's being abused there for sure. 

As a concept I don't think LTIR is nearly as bad as most fans make it out to be. There's risks and downsides to it, it isn't the "loophole" it's billed as by some. 

I think you make a great point of why is the team benefiting when they likely pushed the player. Player safety is a great question and one i'm shocked to this day the PA just never seems to want to address. I guess at the end of the day players get their money so they don't speak up but that is what is broken to me in the system but I think that's on the union to figure out why they seem to not actually care that their players/members are safer. 

I agree, but I think players won't agree because some are willing to play through injuries. It is too bad. I don't know if it is an expected thing, the idea that hockey players are tough, or the idea a team isn't deep enough to compete without the injured player...

16 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Not sure why this doesn’t happen more.

The Blues are trying to get younger, while remaining competitive. This does that for them. Also likely cheaper than acquiring both via trade.

Agreed. I'm sure some will spin this as the Blue are being unfair but I totally disagree. it's a tool in the CBA and any good GM should be exhausting all tools to make their club better. 

Don't want this to happen, manage your cap better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Agreed. I'm sure some will spin this as the Blue are being unfair but I totally disagree. it's a tool in the CBA and any good GM should be exhausting all tools to make their club better. 

Don't want this to happen, manage your cap better.

I don’t think the Blues have to worry about retaliation in the near future because Edmonton won’t be in a position as far as the cap goes for the foreseeable future.

Armstrong is one of the better GM’s in hockey right now. He isn’t afraid to make the bold moves if they help his hockey team.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Drama.....

I don't think I would match that sheet to Broberg if I was the Oilers. That's rich for him. 

The offer for Broberg is likely as much a wake up call to the Oilers that you can't just go and sign everyone you want without managing the cap.  The Blues probably rolled their eyes when they heard that Kane might require surgery.  It's odd that it's August and they are "thinking" about surgery.  So, the Blues say put up or shut up.  

The total of the two offers is funny.  More than what Ceci and Kulak make.  More than what Ekholm makes.  More than the LTIR savings of Kane.  Interesting to see the details of the deals.

Of the two, Holloway is the likely keeper, since they can't afford Broberg at that rate.  They get a 2nd for Broberg in this OS.  

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I don’t think the Blues have to worry about retaliation in the near future because Edmonton won’t be in a position as far as the cap goes for the foreseeable future.

Armstrong is one of the better GM’s in hockey right now. He isn’t afraid to make the bold moves if they help his hockey team.

Agreed, it's smart all around from the Blues.  Just be nice to get to the point where a move like this doesn't require retaliation because it really shouldn't. If GMs don't like it then get rid of it in the next CBA but as long as it's a tool it should be used. 

• Like 1

I'm with Cross, it's more on managers not managing the cap than those that tender offer sheets. It's why I'd love it if Calgary start using the cap more prudently. I get a lot of teams are up against the cap, but if the Flames concentrate on drafting, then this doesn't have to happen. Leave the money for the core bordering elite players. 

Edmonton has done a bad job filling the roster, spending to the cap, just as Calgary had in the past. So hoping we change that philosophy.