Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, cross16 said:

And Dave King is also a pretty good coach, certainly was here in Calgary. Columbus was an expansion team. Not suggesting every coach who works with hockey Canada is great, but they seem to get it right more than they get it wrong but there is always good and bad with everything. 

We had a stacked line up when he was here and he should have made it past the first round. He failed, because anything less than the cup those days was going to be a failure. He had great regular seasons. Great...

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

We had a stacked line up when he was here and he should have made it past the first round. He failed, because anything less than the cup those days was going to be a failure. He had great regular seasons. Great...

ahh the good old days .. when making the playoffs was a foregone conclusion , how far you got was the issue .

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Sounds like the vast majority of coaches. I think Babock has been out of the first round once since Lindstrom retired, does that make him a bad coach now? Is it always the  coaches fault a team never gets out of the first round? I'm by no means saying Dave King was great but he certainly wan't a bad coach, at least not IMO. Do you think Bruce Bourdeau is a good or bad coach because he seems incapable of getting his team's deep too.  Also for some context, the first 2 season King and the Flames lost in the first round they were beat by the team that would wind up representing the West in the Finals. 

However you feel about King is a bit of a side issue anyways. Just because I like the that fact the Peters is well respected in Hockey Canada circles doesn't mean much nor did I present it that way, I just like it as it tells me he clearly is good at something if he is that respected by Hockey Canada. It seems to me people are trying to find something that they can use to predict whether or not Peters is going to be successful here but IMO that is not how coaching works. Coaching and it's impact is very much a crap shoot. All types of backgrounds have success and all types of background fail, it's a fool's game to try and predict whether or not a coach will work with a team IMO. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Sounds like the vast majority of coaches. I think Babock has been out of the first round once since Lindstrom retired, does that make him a bad coach now? Is it always the  coaches fault a team never gets out of the first round? I'm by no means saying Dave King was great but he certainly wan't a bad coach, at least not IMO. Do you think Bruce Bourdeau is a good or bad coach because he seems incapable of getting his team's deep too.  Also for some context, the first 2 season King and the Flames lost in the first round they were beat by the team that would wind up representing the West in the Finals. 

However you feel about King is a bit of a side issue anyways. Just because I like the that fact the Peters is well respected in Hockey Canada circles doesn't mean much nor did I present it that way, I just like it as it tells me he clearly is good at something if he is that respected by Hockey Canada. It seems to me people are trying to find something that they can use to predict whether or not Peters is going to be successful here but IMO that is not how coaching works. Coaching and it's impact is very much a crap shoot. All types of backgrounds have success and all types of background fail, it's a fool's game to try and predict whether or not a coach will work with a team IMO. 

Just trying to read between the lines and my take is BT wasn't totally unhappy with the job GG accomplished and wants to stay with the same style of play. For whatever reason GG didn't raise the intensity meter with this group in his 2nd year and it cost him his job. Like someone just said, if Peters was his 1st choice and is now available BT is going to jump on it. I agree with you that nobody can predict how any coach is going to do with any group of players beforehand.

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I am just disgruntled, and not giving a fair shake. It looks fairly similar, so it’s hard to get past it. He is seemingly the next coach so it’s time to get over it and hope for the best...

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I am just disgruntled, and not giving a fair shake. It looks fairly similar, so it’s hard to get past it. He is seemingly the next coach so it’s time to get over it and hope for the best...

I look at it this way .. If GG had held players accountable, been better at recognizing how to play a player to their strengths , and didnt default to playing vets over putting kids in more important situations when things weren't working well.. he'd probably still be here 

Thats what I feel we are getting with Peters .. all the good of GG and a history of being better at what GG was poor at .

1 minute ago, Cowtownguy said:

I think so too, but I hope you don't get angry with me if I give you a hard time should he announce a different person. I am only talking like a year or so here. 

LOL.. i think a swerve would be awesome ...  like BP and Darryl or something we didn't see coming 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

LOL.. i think a swerve would be awesome ...  like BP and Darryl or something we didn't see coming 

Treliving: "We wanted to hire someone with a solid work ethic, long time NHL experience, and someone who identified with this province. I would like to proudly announce the new Calgary Flames' head coach, Craig MacTavish." :o:o:blink::wacko::unsure:

[sound of robrob74's head exploding in the background]

1 minute ago, Cowtownguy said:

Treliving: "We wanted to hire someone with a solid work ethic, long time NHL experience, and someone who identified with this province. I would like to proudly announce the new Calgary Flames' head coach, Craig MacTavish." :o:o:blink::wacko::unsure:

see my comment in the other thread about Voynov,,lol.. I'd be buying my Vegas jersey before the week is over LOL

14 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

If it weren't for the sheer awkwardness it could make , and it being a bonfire when done in the past (see Playfair).. I wouldn't be opposed to him turning around and hiring GG as an assistant .  you get a Good cop/ bad cop and 2 coaches on the same page ...

It's great to see we have a new coach in short order, but I just don't feel the excitement for this coach. I'm rooting for him to turn this team around but he's got some convincing to do! So just how long do we give this coach? Another 2 years ? If he fails to take this team to the playoffs in his first year...what then?

4 minutes ago, rickross said:

It's great to see we have a new coach in short order, but I just don't feel the excitement for this coach. I'm rooting for him to turn this team around but he's got some convincing to do! So just how long do we give this coach? Another 2 years ? If he fails to take this team to the playoffs in his first year...what then?

See I am the opposite, I think I am more excited about this hire than I have been for any of the other coaching hires for Calgary in recent memory. 

The last time I was this excited about a coaching hire it was Darryl Sutter. 

which speaks to not only that I do think highly of Peters, but it also speaks to who the Flames have hired in recent memory. Bit of a double edged sword there. 

After Reading Darren Hayne's article.. its pretty clear , 

BT wanted Bill Peters Then.. he had no contract with Carolina but all indications were that he was going to re- sign

I do remember reading he Asked Carolina for permission then ,and I believe he was declined 

When he failed to get Bill Peters, he went looking for who he felt was the closest thing to Bill Peters 

It actually speaks volumes to GG that people feel this is a sideways hire . but reality is , GG still needs to learn the pluses that BP brings and we didn't have the luxury of waiting it out 

It also speaks volumes that BT has not wavered from his vision of what this team can be , and how it should play

It seems fast and rushed, because Bill Peters has been his guy from the beginning . and if it couldn't be him , it would be somebody like him 

I'm optimistic ..

Peters on Gio/Hamilton:

"Elite. Elite. Elite in many areas and still scratching the surface on what they can do offensively, especially on the PP".

Hard not to love that quote. 

Edit: for those who care about these types of thing. Peters made specific mention to Brodie having success on the right side a couple years ago. 

55 minutes ago, rickross said:

I am trying to be optimistic. I am just a little skeptical given his Carolina record. I will try to keep an open mind.

37 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Like what I heard.

Optimistic.

From what I have read on forums and blogs I think it is a solid hire and preferable to a Sutter, AV, Tippet or Trotz type hire.

Does he bring his own assitants in?  Many coaches seem to like having their men?

I hope so.

He can't bring Brind'amour as he'll be the next coach in Carolina but I'd sure like him to steal Kevin McCarthy off the Preds.

IMO Peters is a good hire. I'm 1 that would have liked Sutter back, really like Trotz but Peters is a good coach. (Should Trotz get axed in Washington I wonder if he'd acceot an assistent job to run the D)

If BP is same type Coach as GG whats the point Im sure after what happened this yr Im sure GG would have changed his way of dealing with players and line movement. Change just for change doesn't really help this team I don't think was hoping for and upgrade not a push. Now who would an upgrade be with my knowledge I can't say for sure but with everyone say that BP is a GG clone and with little upgrade due to his lack of getting Hurricanes any further than GG doesn't make sense to me. Colour me confussed?

One thing I am curious about is going to be how the offense is going to be under Peters. I think given the lack of game breaking skill in Carolina up front and the fact that he has had some of the worst goaltending in the league, he has had to focus an lot on defense and making sure he was limiting shots to cover up for a major weakness. Next year he should be getting at least league average goaltending and he has more skill up front.

After listening to the press conference and a few other videos, I am really impressed with the way he communicates. My favorite quote from the press conference was "why can't we be demanding without being demeaning..." IMO that is such a great approach.

Archived