Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

Just now, travel_dude said:

Considering his skating is slow, I don;t know that he'll be able to play with McDavid.

The coach is saying that Kassian earned the spot to start the season, and figures he will use Neal with Nuge.

That would be akin to playing with Backlund without Tkachuk.

Good luck with that.

But Neal should be able to score a few on the PP.

Top unit that is.

That unit will score whether h's there or not.

Oh Neal will not be able to keep up 5-on-5.  He will have to make his hay on the PP.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was Neal who showed up out of shape, dogged it for the first month and by all accounts didn’t exactly go out of his way to fit in

zero fault to Peters here. Especially when you consider the other reason that Neal played down the lineup is there was just better options and players outplaying him. 

18 hours ago, rickross said:

You have to wonder, if Neal returns to form this year and lots 20+....how much falls on Peters for potentially mismanaging Neal’s playtime/line mates and how responsibility falls on Neal? 

I'm watching 2 things this year.. not only how many does Neal score but how many less does Chiasson score because if Neal gets his 20 and Chiasson drops to less than 10 then that's a direct benefit of his linemates 

I suspect he will slot in with RNH, as he like many is too slow to play with McDavid consistently

Edmonton has the advantage with Neal as they have a 2nd line that is not a checking line 

Neal could have played with Backlund for offense , but he can't shutdown.

Jankowski is a shooter , he needs a set up guy.

It was pretty much top line or bust and lindholm owned that slot 

3 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm watching 2 things this year.. not only how many does Neal score but how many less does Chiasson score because if Neal gets his 20 and Chiasson drops to less than 10 then that's a direct benefit of his linemates 

I suspect he will slot in with RNH, as he like many is too slow to play with McDavid consistently

Edmonton has the advantage with Neal as they have a 2nd line that is not a checking line 

If they use Nuge as something other than a checking line, who is going to stop other teams top players?

Spoiler Alert - nobody

Granlund is the closest they have to a defensive C.

He's anything but a top shutdown player.

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

You touched on a thought I have had with respect to Jankowski and maybe we have had an answer staring us in the face. What about Jankowski with Tkachuk ? Tkachuk is as much a playmaker as he is at the other parts of his game and Jankowski definitely knows how to finish. Why not try Tkachuk, Jankowski, Bennett ?

27 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

You touched on a thought I have had with respect to Jankowski and maybe we have had an answer staring us in the face. What about Jankowski with Tkachuk ? Tkachuk is as much a playmaker as he is at the other parts of his game and Jankowski definitely knows how to finish. Why not try Tkachuk, Jankowski, Bennett ?

Because Jankowski couldn’t cut it as a 3rd line center. Why should he be given more ice time?

in that scenario you are either decreasing minutes for Tkachuk(not good) or your increasing them for Jankowski(also not good). Not a good scenario either way 

33 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Because Jankowski couldn’t cut it as a 3rd line center. Why should he be given more ice time?

in that scenario you are either decreasing minutes for Tkachuk(not good) or your increasing them for Jankowski(also not good). Not a good scenario either way 

If we fail to get a legit top 6 RW then trying Jankowski on 2nd line RW is worth a try.  Not to say he deserves it but he seems to be a better fit as a winger.  But if someone is going to have to switch over to RW, then everybody should get a try.  Bennett, Mangiapane, Jankowski, etc.  We should audition all 3 to see if there's chemistry there.

58 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Do you actually not recognize what a disaster that 3rd line was for everyone on it. You need to wake up and give some players more credit about the talents they possess than simply looking at last year's results and saying that is all the player is capable of now. Have you ever heard of personal growth ? You will pardon me if I disagree with you.

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If we fail to get a legit top 6 RW then trying Jankowski on 2nd line RW is worth a try.  Not to say he deserves it but he seems to be a better fit as a winger.  But if someone is going to have to switch over to RW, then everybody should get a try.  Bennett, Mangiapane, Jankowski, etc.  We should audition all 3 to see if there's chemistry there.

We need to park this deserve "crap" and get players into positions to succeed.

33 minutes ago, GM_3300 said:

Do you actually not recognize what a disaster that 3rd line was for everyone on it. You need to wake up and give some players more credit about the talents they possess than simply looking at last year's results and saying that is all the player is capable of now. Have you ever heard of personal growth ? You will pardon me if I disagree with you.

ahh the typical repose from you. Personal attacks and insults with no substance to them. Good value add

Jankowski has back to back year's now struggling at center. This isn't a recent opinion. 

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

ahh the typical repose from you. Personal attacks and insults with no substance to them. Good value add

Jankowski has back to back year's now struggling at center. This isn't a recent opinion. 

You need to recognize when a player is actually getting better not worse. No it isn't a recent opinion you have made it more than once. Typical of you.

On 8/9/2019 at 10:53 AM, cross16 said:

Jankowski scored 4 goals the one game he was given opportunity on an elite scoring line.  People can dismiss that game all they want but no other Flame has even come close to that performance, though Bennett did score 4 once.  Jankowski was given a defensive/PK role last season and he nearly/did lead the NHL in SH goals while doing an excellent PK job.  When in college he lead his team to the National championship and outplayed Eichel, who many seem to think is pretty good.  Personally I believe Jankowski has adapted and done what has been asked of him and we shouldn’t mistake that for his true ceiling.  I’d bet anything he’s in the same position as Lindholm was with Carolina, and given a different role would surprise.

50 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Jankowski scored 4 goals the one game he was given opportunity on an elite scoring line.  People can dismiss that game all they want but no other Flame has even come close to that performance, though Bennett did score 4 once.  Jankowski was given a defensive/PK role last season and he nearly/did lead the NHL in SH goals while doing an excellent PK job.  When in college he lead his team to the National championship and outplayed Eichel, who many seem to think is pretty good.  Personally I believe Jankowski has adapted and done what has been asked of him and we shouldn’t mistake that for his true ceiling.  I’d bet anything he’s in the same position as Lindholm was with Carolina, and given a different role would surprise.

Jankowski has a great shot and great finish but shouldn't play Center.  Give him a try at Wing and let him focus on breaking out the zone early and using his shot.  I think he can surprise offensively.  

55 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

IIRC, the reason why Providence won was because the other goalie dropped the puck in his own net to set up the tie.

That's neither here nor there.

What is important is that he had a down year instead of progressing.

HIs faceoff stats on the whole wasn;t bad.

On the PK it was less than 48% overall.

9 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Can’t mistake being on the 3rd line for him playing in a defensive role. Jankowski’s line was probably the most sheltered line last year and was not deployed in a defensive capacity. Has the lowest d zone start rate on the team. 

On 8/10/2019 at 1:15 PM, cccsberg said:

I don't know that Jankowski is the answer for/with Tkachuk but I wouldn't mind seeing a 3rd line of Mangiapane, Jankowski, Czarnik. I know they won't do it but the player they should be thinking of trading IMO is Ryan. I know Peters values his game but so would a number of other teams and just maybe we can get a decent RW for him, more of a need. Dube can play 4th line C or Quine.

• 2 months later...

It’s early. Flames fan’s favourite phrase round these parts lol. Anyway, I don’t feel as though there’s any fluidity to this teams play. They seem almost robotic like so far, their play has been predictable to a point. I feel as though they are struggling to create on the fly, it’s like too many X’s and O’s instead of the instinct of the athletes is getting in the way? When things haven’t gone their way they’ve really struggled to settled down and get back into the game. Gameplan falls apart early and the team becomes unhinged and the penalty show begins. It is early, we do this every year but can Peters get this team to perform above last year?

This group is extremely inconsistent so far and I’m not sure it’s totally on the coach. I’ll have to wait and see how the group is when its a game against the Oilers, Habs or Leafs, the games where the crowd is amped up. What we thought that killed Gulutzan was his inability to get his guys up for the big games, but if it happens again this season it’s not on Peters nor was it on GG, it’s on the group and at that point it’s time to make a trade to alter the core

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Not sure if posted before.  Mike Commodore's take on Babcock,

wow.  Not sure what to think but I learned a lot more about Commodore in that video than I did about Babcock.

Ripped a number of his team members, everything was someone else's fault, was given some games and did poorly in them, not his fault.

If I was the coach and I was aware that a player had an attitude like that, I'd sit them out too.  Of course I have no idea what really happened.

44 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This group is extremely inconsistent so far and I’m not sure it’s totally on the coach. I’ll have to wait and see how the group is when its a game against the Oilers, Habs or Leafs, the games where the crowd is amped up. What we thought that killed Gulutzan was his inability to get his guys up for the big games, but if it happens again this season it’s not on Peters nor was it on GG, it’s on the group and at that point it’s time to make a trade to alter the core

100% this is not the first time this has happened, this is players not coaching. As I mentioned in another thread this is a common theme on this club, and it starts with the lack of leadership or core issues they have to be removed. The poison is still apparent in that room and Trevling better deal with it quick before it gets out of control. It as to be something or someone that has been around for awhile, Gio, Backs, Fro or Brodie they are the only ones that have been around through all of this. 

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

100% this is not the first time this has happened, this is players not coaching. As I mentioned in another thread this is a common theme on this club, and it starts with the lack of leadership or core issues they have to be removed. The poison is still apparent in that room and Trevling better deal with it quick before it gets out of control. It as to be something or someone that has been around for awhile, Gio, Backs, Fro or Brodie they are the only ones that have been around through all of this. 

I thought Hamilton was the poison? 

I always thought it was a lack of getting up for games. It’s like procrastination, waiting for the last minute to get going. But in this case sometimes it gets to that point and it is too late. Not able to come back. 

I still think there is a lack of energy on the team, guys who can skate and hit. I get it isn’t the end all in hockey anymore but hitting shows you’re engaged and tends to drag others to that point.

Plus with the talent being played on one line we are and have been, essentially the Avs, and it really thins out depth throughout.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I thought Hamilton was the poison? 

I always thought it was a lack of getting up for games. It’s like procrastination, waiting for the last minute to get going. But in this case sometimes it gets to that point and it is too late. Not able to come back. 

I still think there is a lack of energy on the team, guys who can skate and hit. I get it isn’t the end all in hockey anymore but hitting shows you’re engaged and tends to drag others to that point.

Plus with the talent being played on one line we are and have been, essentially the Avs, and it really thins out depth throughout.

Call it lack of getting up for games, late starting or whatever.

The team has a problem in the 1st minutes of games.

Scored on or taking penalties in the opening minutes.

Once that happens, they start chasing.

What gave them wins last year was the belief they could apply pressure and take back control.

This year they lose momentum when they start with the special teams.

The PP isn;t working, drains their momentum and kills the regular lines for 2-3 shifts after.

The PK is being used too much and does the same.

Once they get down a goal they start doing things they don't normally do.

The bottom six is a mess.

A given line only plays good for one period.

They can;t seem to form a cohesive unit.

Last year we have Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway, who developed chemistry.

This year, the 3rd and 4th lines can;t seem to play good for a whole game.

Archived