Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

Peters did not have the team ready last game. You had to know the other team was motivated and would come out flying. He put 2 inexperienced rookies on the same pairing which is not beneficial for confidence reasons when the team is under fire. These are not helpful decisions. It speaks to more than just coaching ability, but rather poor decision making. Player allocation is extremely important and Peters needs to be better. While I’m not judging his coaching abilities, I feel the last game was on him and not the players. He just wasn’t prepared. I’m sure he’ll learn from this.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, 7wit said:

Peters did not have the team ready last game. You had to know the other team was motivated and would come out flying. He put 2 inexperienced rookies on the same pairing which is not beneficial for confidence reasons when the team is under fire. These are not helpful decisions. It speaks to more than just coaching ability, but rather poor decision making. Player allocation is extremely important and Peters needs to be better. While I’m not judging his coaching abilities, I feel the last game was on him and not the players. He just wasn’t prepared. I’m sure he’ll learn from this.

Peters is in game four of operating a new team with new players.. If you can't give him twenty games at least to implement his systems and see what he has for players. you're wasting your breath on here

57 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

Peters is in game four of operating a new team with new players.. If you can't give him twenty games at least to implement his systems and see what he has for players. you're wasting your breath on here

That’s a fairly harsh retort. You haven’t noticed they start slowly? That’s why I mentioned he will learn from this.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You are judging the coach on the team starting slowly?

Scored first goal in every game but this one and the season opener.

Not so much the goals, but the motivation, and I’m not judging the coach-it’s just what I’ve noticed. They seem to play better as the game goes on, but start the game somewhat slowly. It’s not necessarily a bad thing as it’s good they get better as the game moves forward. In the game against St. Louis the Blues were all over the Flames in the first few minutes even though the Flames scored first. Same as tonight. Even JH said he was confused in the postgame interview when asked about the start to the game.  I will give credit where credit is due and the timeout tonight was well done. Good decision and a chance to regroup. I’m not saying he’s a bad coach, but it was his decisions that cost us the game against St. Louis. Obviously, he learned as the 2 rookies were not paired together on the blue line and Peluso was not in the lineup as he doesn’t necessarily help your team win. We have better player’s. No one’s perfect and again it’s just an observation. Peters is a good coach and is recognizing that some players need to be rewarded unlike GG who wouldn’t budge even when it was obvious.

It is too early to make any definitive conclusions about Bill Peters, and we have changed a significant part of our roster. Nevertheless, I sure would like to know what happened to us last year. We look so much better now, even when we lose. Last year, we often looked average even when we won. I wonder if the players just didn't buy into GG's system or if it was more about injuries to Smith and Monahan. It appears, using a limited sample, that Treliving understands what happened and has addressed the problem. Sure would like to know his honest take on the team.

8 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

It is too early to make any definitive conclusions about Bill Peters, and we have changed a significant part of our roster. Nevertheless, I sure would like to know what happened to us last year. We look so much better now, even when we lose. Last year, we often looked average even when we won. I wonder if the players just didn't buy into GG's system or if it was more about injuries to Smith and Monahan. It appears, using a limited sample, that Treliving understands what happened and has addressed the problem. Sure would like to know his honest take on the team.

One very clear difference that I believe has great impact is player accountability.  GG never held his players accountable, trying to be their friend, whereas BP is just the opposite.  With BP, you screw up or play lackadaisically, you sit.  It is refreshing to see and I bet the players love it.  Now just need to build consistency.

Nothing against the coaches, but for me I don't think they do look better 5on 5.  PP looks significantly better but a lot of what they are doing 5on5 is an extention of last year. I think the talent and speed upgrades made to the lineup are what make it look better. 

It does help to have more of an in game manager as well but depth helps there too. 

9 hours ago, 7wit said:

Not so much the goals, but the motivation, and I’m not judging the coach-it’s just what I’ve noticed. They seem to play better as the game goes on, but start the game somewhat slowly. It’s not necessarily a bad thing as it’s good they get better as the game moves forward. In the game against St. Louis the Blues were all over the Flames in the first few minutes even though the Flames scored first. Same as tonight. Even JH said he was confused in the postgame interview when asked about the start to the game.  I will give credit where credit is due and the timeout tonight was well done. Good decision and a chance to regroup. I’m not saying he’s a bad coach, but it was his decisions that cost us the game against St. Louis. Obviously, he learned as the 2 rookies were not paired together on the blue line and Peluso was not in the lineup as he doesn’t necessarily help your team win. We have better player’s. No one’s perfect and again it’s just an observation. Peters is a good coach and is recognizing that some players need to be rewarded unlike GG who wouldn’t budge even when it was obvious.

St Louis has a huge, physical team.  When we weren’t skating like the wind they dominated us.  

Based on what I have witnessed, coaching has not been the issue. Peter's is willing to give what you give type of coach. For me this club as Peters puts it never shows up on time. I see it getting better as we progress. He has no issue sitting players based on play and not pay check. With the turnover of players and coaching staff, I see that we have adapted faster with BP than with GG system's. Tonight's game could be a turning point where they get the larger picture, play this way and you can beat most teams.

The roster changes have made the most immediate impact so far. Linholm has been the key difference maker 5 games in. Overall they think and play faster but it's going to take time before we truly know who the Flames are. 

Flames did did not play a confident game under GG, they'd often give up that 1st goal and spend the rest of the game trying to tie. There's better depth and we've seen more balanced scoring already. It was encouraging to see Rittich play well, not to mention the team actually responding to Peters after the timeout. GG seemed lifeless behind the bench and you could tell players struggled to buy in most of the time. 

Still too small a sample size to crown or clown BP yet...but I'd say I do have more faith in this teams potential than in years past. 

From numerous players' accounts early on they all say the same thing: "practices are very fast and up tempo", "Peters is a demanding coach", "Peters is a coach that will push you to be better"....those comments, particularly the players from last year who mentioned how fast the practices are, are essentially alluding the fact that that's not how practices were last year.  Nor did it seem Gully held players accountable, or pushed them.  It seemed - and I don't know for sure - that he cared more about being a nice guy than a good coach.  I love that our practices are fast, and the players need to work in practice.  That is already translating to a faster, harder working team this year. 

Another thing that drove me nuts about Gully - and something he flat out admitted - is that he didn't change things up depending on who they were playing or how players were playing.  He was so unadaptable.  He had his systems, and his game plan, and if the game went sideways he was unable to adapt mid game.  Peters seems more than wiling to adapt and at least try out different line combinations, or to try and ice the right players for whoever the opposing coach throws out there.

One more thing: I like how Peters 1) holds players accountable, and 2) rewards players.  Making Frolik a healthy scratch because Peters see's he's clearly not engaged to where he can be, that's a slap in the face to Frolik, and he's gotta be better when he comes back.  Peters saying he needs to find Bennett more ice time, and then actually acting on it and giving Bennett more ice time.  Peter's going right back to his young D (Valimaki and Andersson) after a brutal game by them against St. Louis, but he uses it as a learning platform, and instead of sheltering them and limiting ice time in the next game, he had Andersson playing the final minute of a tied game!  He seems to reward his players when they deserve it, he has faith in his players and shows it, and he holds players accountable when they are not up to the standard he knows they can be.

Those are all things Gully either refused to do or was unable to do.  The sample size is real small, but so far I like Peters. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

I am concerned with BP's comment after the Anaheim loss.

"For what it’s worth, Peters said he thought goaltender Mike Smith had a good game."

So, Smith stopped 21/24 shots.

Not like the PITTS game for sure.

The one thing I will say is that BP doesn;t review game tape the night of.

The other thing is that various parts of the game are more obvious, such as blown coverage and missed wide open nets.

The game was winnable in spite of Smith.

I will focus more negatively on the decisons he made prior to the start.

Peluso was not the right choice for a call up.

Starting him was also wrong.

If BP had a say in what type of player to bring up to replace Dube, then he was wrong.

We saw what Peluso was in the 4 minutes played.  A minus 1 player that can;t even play against a big team like the Ducks.

The other curious choice was giving the net to Smith.  It sets up Smith playing 2/3 in Cali.

Now that he played bad against a bad team, how can you play him right away?

Against LA?  Okay, probably the only possible chance for him to win.

Against the Sharks, assuming Rittich gets the start in LA?  No way.  

46 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, Smith stopped 21/24 shots.

Not like the PITTS game for sure.

The one thing I will say is that BP doesn;t review game tape the night of.

The other thing is that various parts of the game are more obvious, such as blown coverage and missed wide open nets.

The game was winnable in spite of Smith.

I will focus more negatively on the decisons he made prior to the start.

Peluso was not the right choice for a call up.

Starting him was also wrong.

If BP had a say in what type of player to bring up to replace Dube, then he was wrong.

We saw what Peluso was in the 4 minutes played.  A minus 1 player that can;t even play against a big team like the Ducks.

The other curious choice was giving the net to Smith.  It sets up Smith playing 2/3 in Cali.

Now that he played bad against a bad team, how can you play him right away?

Against LA?  Okay, probably the only possible chance for him to win.

Against the Sharks, assuming Rittich gets the start in LA?  No way.  

I see where you were coming from a bit.

Calling out the goalie is kind of like calling out the GM at this point. We don't have anyone else to fill the position so, best to not call out now. What it got him in Carolina was a poor working relationship with his boss.... He's buddies with BT.

1 hour ago, rickross said:

So...is Bill Peters looking like he's the right man for the job?...or should we be starting a Joel Quenneville thread?

Then 3 months after that we can start a "why we should fire Quenville" thread. That would be how things work around here. 

To answer the questions seriously I think it's pretty clear he's doing a good job. I just think the fact the questions is being asked right now is pretty silly. I don't think most fans are every going to be satisfied with a coach unless that coach win them a cup. 

21 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think the fact that Peters has this team battling for top spot in the division with the league's worst goaltender, tells you everything you need to know about the job he is doing.

Here, here....

He doesn't know the team well enough yet to get the most out of them.  And yet they have managed to win when losing after 2.  One loss when leading after 2.  All this with league worst goaltending for the majority of games. 

56 minutes ago, rickross said:

So...is Bill Peters looking like he's the right man for the job?...or should we be starting a Joel Quenneville thread?

Overall, I'm ok with our X's and O's.  Team effort is good.  Morale is good.  Players are talking positive (pending Uber videos), and I think we've been let down by subpar goaltending.

The pre-season expectation is that we would make the playoffs in that 6,7,8 seed and we are right there so, we are not disappointing.  Yet, not overachieving either.  So it's a fair passing grade on Peters.

2 hours ago, rickross said:

I think Peters has done a good job thus far, there's obviously still room for improvement but I feel better about BP than I ever did about GG. It has been frustrating watching them outwork teams and still take the loss...largely due to Smittys struggles. It will be interesting to see how this team evolves throughout the season, hoping BP is able to unearth another gear to this team as opposed to stalling out as the season comes to a close. Goaltending, secondary scoring and finishing on opportunities seem to still plague this team but overall they have been playing a better team game than years past. 

28 minutes ago, rickross said:

I think Peters has done a good job thus far, there's obviously still room for improvement but I feel better about BP than I ever did about GG. It has been frustrating watching them outwork teams and still take the loss...largely due to Smittys struggles. It will be interesting to see how this team evolves throughout the season, hoping BP is able to unearth another gear to this team as opposed to stalling out as the season comes to a close. Goaltending, secondary scoring and finishing on opportunities seem to still plague this team but overall they have been playing a better team game than years past. 

What kind of loser quotes himself?;):ph34r:

I think Peters is doing okay. Love the use of rookies, putting Brodie back on the right, rewarding players playing well.

Don't like the Ryan overuse, Backs-Frolik not being the #1 PK, and the 2 PP in general.

1 hour ago, rickross said:

For me, I didn’t feel like the GG team’s had a handle on the systems. They struggled for most of two years trying to implement them. Then when they did, they couldn’t score but still had poor D.

Now I see a bit more progress. But lately as the season enters then 2nd quarter, teams are tightening up and they’re starting to feel that - resulting in less offence.

Archived