Travis Hamonic

Carty

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Apparantly hamonic was playing with a broken hand last year.

He was.

Great move by BT. We now have a D =/> than 2009.

For this trade & the selection of Valimaki I'd like to buy BT a beer or 12. :)

Welcome aboard Travis. You are officially 1 of this Flame fan's favorites on the team. :D

36 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think most people overrate the Flames prospect pool. It's  good but it's not great. If I had more faith in their ability to find undrafted free agents and recoup those picks I'd be more understanding but the flames have not been successful in this area. I think you also overrate how easy it is to get top 60 picks back. Unless the Flames want to deal a core member I don't think you will see those picks come back. 

I think Treliving is pushing his chips in too quickly here and I don't like that he is pushing chips in anyway. I don't believe you win a cup or contend for a long time dealing away this many picks. 

The West will be more competitive going forward with McDavid up North so I see it as more important to build our defense now. Hamonic is a top defenseman like Brodie signed at a good price for the next 3 seasons. Prospects and picks are important but not as important as getting a proven experienced player that betters your main team at an important time of development.

I like the player. I love the contract. The Flames have one of the best top 4 in the league for 21 million. That's tough to do. It's accomplished by having guys like Brodie and Hamonic on budget deals. 

The picks are tough to lose. But Treliving brought on Hamilton and Hamonic for nothing but picks. That's a win. 

We are on the verge of contending. It's going to cost a bit to get us over the edge. Given our depth on D in the system and how young our top forwards are we can afford the picks. At least for now. 

56 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Just Seems this Year the price is high For decent Players if you want a Good Goalie or Player it will cost you

Maybe this is the effect of having another team enter the league. You have the same pool of players, but now 31 teams looking for their services. Supply and demand dictates the price must go up.

12 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I like the player. I love the contract.

Another 3 seasons at $3.857.143...   and that has to be taken into consideration when looking at the acquisition cost...

Less of a cap hit than the Oil have for Kris Russell...   If I had to choose between the two players, I'll take Hamonic...

Hamonic is a great asset to acquire, he's cheaper and better than what we would have signed and got out of Stone. Losing those picks will be costly, unless we offload a top prospect or 2 I don't see us recouping those picks anytime soon. It's the cost of doing business but no denying we are a better team now because of it. We can still sign or acquire a top 6 forward by next weekend, overall at face value I'd give this trade a B+

I am not a fan of blowing picks. I think everyone agrees with that sentiment. We can look at this and the Smith deal as being costly. At the same time, Treliving had us well covered for the expansion draft. Nobody here is seriously upset that we lost Engelland. Some teams got fleeced (i.e. Nashville). They lost a solid player that is a proven commodity. I don't think that we can look at any deal on its own at face value. Hockey is the quintessential example of a fluid, interconnected game in all respects. So, while this deal makes me a little nervous, we now have a solid defence and I think a solid goalie (who can help mentor Gillies and Parsons, maybe Rittich). If GG can get the offence to score a bit more, get more out of Benny, and get Brouwer to, I dunno, carry sticks to games and do some laundry for a few million, we should be in good shape.

Okay, I do expect Brouwer to turn it around this year. He will be a pleasant surprise IMO.

2 minutes ago, Carty said:

Another 3 seasons at $3.857.143...   and that has to be taken into consideration when looking at the acquisition cost...

Less of a cap hit than the Oil have for Kris Russell...   If I had to choose between the two players, I'll take Hamonic...

Any day and twice on Sunday. Too bad we cannot keep Stone as well because that would make for a really tough defence to knock around the Oil and the Quacks.

4 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

With the departure of Wideman, losing Engelland to Vegas and Smid coming off the books gives us a lot of extra cap space to work with.

I gave you a like for that post because you said Wideman and departure in the same sentence. Departure feels airportish or space station gone. :D

I would have given you two likes if you had said "transported" and Wideman in the same sentence. 

3 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Any day and twice on Sunday. Too bad we cannot keep Stone as well because that would make for a really tough defence to knock around the Oil and the Quacks.

We can keep Stone. We have the cap space. In fact it sounds like both camps are still interested. 

I hope they keep stone or get someone like Franson. Depth is important as injuries will happen. 

I for one, I love this trade.

We're also forgetting that he's a right hand shot.

Top4D RHS at 3.whatever a season, and just entering his prime for a 1st and a couple of 2nds...that's another home run.

Like someone else said, this puts us very near to contendership.

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

We can keep Stone. We have the cap space. In fact it sounds like both camps are still interested. 

I hope they keep stone or get someone like Franson. Depth is important as injuries will happen. 

Huh. From the interview with Treliving, it sounds as though you might be correct. Wow. 

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

I'm not the biggest Stone fan, but if the salary is $2m, it's not as bad.  Too bad he wasn't a lefty.  Reason I say that is that I would prefer to bring in Andersson on 3rd pair RD and play him with someone other than Bart.  Okay, so Stone and ANdersson would be good I guess.  Keep Kulak as the #7.  Waive Bart, as he was signed as expansion fodder, like McCollum.    

Well as far as picks in next yr Draft if all goes well we should be picking in the high 20's so no biggy but now my question is where do our drafts from previous season go obviously they will not be playing in the near future unless they play as a 7th D and Brartowski has that spot right now. Kinda of good but very disappointing for our kids in the Prospect pool. I hate losing picks as well but in this case if Ham can paly with any of the top for and get a good connection with that line mate we will not lose any momentum on the D side it took Hamilton over a yr to really connect hope it is a smooth transition for Hamonic.  

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not the biggest Stone fan, but if the salary is $2m, it's not as bad.  Too bad he wasn't a lefty.  Reason I say that is that I would prefer to bring in Andersson on 3rd pair RD and play him with someone other than Bart.  Okay, so Stone and ANdersson would be good I guess.  Keep Kulak as the #7.  Waive Bart, as he was signed as expansion fodder, like McCollum.    

So you don't think much of Bart I take it If we can waive and either lose him or move him up and down that would help the prospects get some NHL time. I really would like to see the kids coming up and getting some chances they need that exposure to the bigs.

Just now, zima said:

So you don't think much of Bart I take it. If we can waive and either lose him or move him up and down that would help the prospects get some NHL time I really would like to see the kids coming up andgetting some chaces they need that exposureto the bigs.

Pretty sure Bartkowski is on a two way contract which allows a good time sharing situation. I think Andersson would need to really show up at camp to break with the team but he is first in line as our RHSD depth. I see BT bringing back Stone.

It looks like we got some extra toughness back with Travis he will drop the gloves and he will show up great news.:) I should also menttion with these type of D depth it might be harder to convince Fox to sign in CGY he knows it will even be harder to break the depth chart we have now. But great trade bait but who knows by then Gio might need to retire and in comes Fox and the new kid on the block Vali. No matter you look at it now our D is chocker block full.

11 minutes ago, zima said:

So you don't think much of Bart I take it If we can waive and either lose him or move him up and down that would help the prospects get some NHL time. I really would like to see the kids coming up and getting some chances they need that exposure to the bigs.

I didn;t like a lot of what I saw from him.  At times he was good to just ok.  Others just ok to really bad.  

He was brought in to expose in the draft.  May be a depth option for the Flames, but we are developing players that need NHL time more than he does.  I would rather see Kulak get the shot he deserves.  He didn;t get called up due to the injury, but I think he is at least a marginal NHL player.  Andersson does need to prove he is ready for the NHL.  I think he's really close.  It really depends on his summer.  He has to work on his speed.  

5 minutes ago, zima said:

It looks like we got some extra toughness back with Travis he will drop the gloves and he will show up great news.:) I should also menttion with these type of D depth it might be harder to convince Fox to sign in CGY he knows it will even be harder to break the depth chart we have now. But great trade bait but who knows by then Gio might need to retire and in comes Fox and the new kid on the block Vali. No matter you look at it now our D is chocker block full.

Don't overthink things.  Fox is starting his 2nd year in college at a ripe age of 19.  Still can play one more time in the WJC.  Besides, he's a lefty.   

Archived