Travis Hamonic

Carty

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I didn;t like a lot of what I saw from him.  At times he was good to just ok.  Others just ok to really bad.  

He was brought in to expose in the draft.  May be a depth option for the Flames, but we are developing players that need NHL time more than he does.  I would rather see Kulak get the shot he deserves.  He didn;t get called up due to the injury, but I think he is at least a marginal NHL player.  Andersson does need to prove he is ready for the NHL.  I think he's really close.  It really depends on his summer.  He has to work on his speed.  

What do you think of Kyl im not sure of his Defensive qaulities yet but thought he was much better this yr and he is still putting up points?

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, zima said:

What do you think of Kyl im not sure of his Defensive qaulities yet but thought he was much better this yr and he is still putting up points?

Kylington is still pretty raw.  They will take more time with him.  Has one year in North America.  His defensive play has to improve a lot.  Plenty of time.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Don't overthink things.  Fox is starting his 2nd year in college at a ripe age of 19.  Still can play one more time in the WJC.  Besides, he's a lefty.   

I thought that is what this forum is all about making comments on what you think about Certain players and there future like you said he is not that far off to making Pro level and if he keeps playing the way he did this yr there will be many suitors making hard for a Canadian team to keep and Americana born kid. I hate the College agreement system

6 minutes ago, zima said:

It looks like we got some extra toughness back with Travis he will drop the gloves and he will show up great news.:) I should also menttion with these type of D depth it might be harder to convince Fox to sign in CGY he knows it will even be harder to break the depth chart we have now. But great trade bait but who knows by then Gio might need to retire and in comes Fox and the new kid on the block Vali. No matter you look at it now our D is chocker block full.

Fox is RHSD and we still have a huge need for depth here. Valimaki is a LHSD and will be a few years away at least but adds quality to the pipeline.

11 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Fox is RHSD and we still have a huge need for depth here. Valimaki is a LHSD and will be a few years away at least but adds quality to the pipeline.

My bad.  Thought he was LHS.  Oh well, he will compete with Andersson down the road, which isn;t a bad thing.  Two young guys with years away from reaching their potential.  Valimaki brings some competition to Kylington down the road.  

So look what a second round player brought to the NYI the use of him for yrs and then a 1st and 2  2nd rounder coming back Travis and a 4th. Not bad for a second rounder. Just goes to show when you give away those second rounder what they can become.

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Not impressed. That cost is too high and now the flames basically have no impact picks for 2-3 drafts in a row. 

Too mich. like the player but I do not like how many high picks he's dealt. Flames basically have to contend for a cup in the next 2-3 years and then they are in trouble again. 

The price in picks is high, granted, but disagree with your assessment.  Flames have a good half dozen top-level prospects coming out of the system in the next year or two, including their first rounder yesterday and only 2-3 obvious spots opening up from the current roster.  It's great to have options but you can only play so many guys.  What about that old adage the team that gets the best player wins?  ...or, quality for quantity?   Hamonic is a great player from what I've seen, fairly young and a great price.  He fills a BIG hole and should allow TJ to do his thing which makes the team even more dynamic.  He also plays tough, which the Flames were lacking, especially with the recent loss of Engelland to Vegas.  This should be a great deal and strengthen the Flames in many areas.

4 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

The price in picks is high, granted, but disagree with your assessment.  Flames have a good half dozen top-level prospects coming out of the system in the next year or two, including their first rounder yesterday and only 2-3 obvious spots opening up from the current roster.  It's great to have options but you can only play so many guys.  What about that old adage the team that gets the best player wins?  ...or, quality for quantity?   Hamonic is a great player from what I've seen, fairly young and a great price.  He fills a BIG hole and should allow TJ to do his thing which makes the team even more dynamic.  He also plays tough, which the Flames were lacking, especially with the recent loss of Engelland to Vegas.  This should be a great deal and strengthen the Flames in many areas.

Thats honestly what it looks like to me. The flames are 3 years away from needing to trade any of their top 4, as they all have contracts till then, and at that point hopefully one of the many D men is ready to step in. In terms of our forward group, we have lots of options and while none of them scream 1st line talent, I dont think its necessary in this day and age. Its nice to have elite talent, but its also good to have smart hockey players that can get up and down the ice, while being smart enough to be in the right place. As long as a guy can compliment bennett/tkachuk or mony/johnny, our top 6 should be set for years.

4 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

He was.

Great move by BT. We now have a D =/> than 2009.

For this trade & the selection of Valimaki I'd like to buy BT a beer or 12. :)

Welcome aboard Travis. You are officially 1 of this Flame fan's favorites on the team. :D

We should have a Flames fans session with BT and all get him a beer!

The hardest part of this trade for me to get over is the 2nd, 2nd round pick. The price may have been a tad steep at that point, but saying that this team is significantly better today than it was yesterday. Having two pairings that could be 1st pairings on a lot of teams in the NHL is a huge advantage for this team. Add to that the fact that we got Smith the other day and if he gives us slightly above average or higher goaltending (which I firmly believe he will) we should be considered contenders in the west. 

Bottom line for me is this trade helps this team in so many ways and he is here for 3 years on a value contract, this is a good trade for this team.

My biggest issue with Hamonic has always been his ability to stay healthy.  If he can, then we've got ourselves one of the best shut down D in the league.  

He's not a giant but he's got enough size to handle the big centers in the division/conference. When the Flames got Stone, Brodie's game improved 10 fold.  I think Hamonic can go beyond that with Brodie.

The price was high. Essentially Dougie Hamilton's price but if Hamonic can help us get to the final four, then the picks don't hurt as much.  

Plus, Hamonic is 26 and D take slower to mature which means we will still see Hamonic's best days ahead of us.

As others have said, I think that our depth of defensive prospects is definitely underrated. Our forward prospect group may not be as deep, but that is due to most of our top forwards already being in the NHL. Even with that our forward prospects are pretty good. I like the looks of our defensive prospect list below. I think that this takes the sting out of losing those picks a bit more.

Kulak

Andersson

Kylington

Fox

Valimaki

Falkovsky

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

My biggest issue with Hamonic has always been his ability to stay healthy.  If he can, then we've got ourselves one of the best shut down D in the league.  

He's not a giant but he's got enough size to handle the big centers in the division/conference. When the Flames got Stone, Brodie's game improved 10 fold.  I think Hamonic can go beyond that with Brodie.

The price was high. Essentially Dougie Hamilton's price but if Hamonic can help us get to the final four, then the picks don't hurt as much.  

Plus, Hamonic is 26 and D take slower to mature which means we will still see Hamonic's best days ahead of us.

The side benefit is that we got him over any other teams in the west.  Would rather not play against him 4-5 games per year.  Funny how the Oilers decided to avoid paying that cost and decided to go with the exact same players they ended the season with, except Sekera is now injured.  

Bottom line is we are now a tougher team to play against.   

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The side benefit is that we got him over any other teams in the west.  Would rather not play against him 4-5 games per year.  Funny how the Oilers decided to avoid paying that cost and decided to go with the exact same players they ended the season with, except Sekera is now injured.  

I really wanted the Flames to go after Adam Larsson when he was still with NJ.  He's turning into quite a tough and smart player to play against... I didn't realize the price to get him was going to be that high though.

So yes, pay the price so we don't have to deal with him as an Oiler.

28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We had better be. Oilers beat us in every game last season. That is unacceptable to me to let that happen again.

12 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

We had better be. Oilers beat us in every game last season. That is unacceptable to me to let that happen again.

I know hey.

Subtract Grossmann - less chance of being scored on in the opening minutes of a game.

Subtract Wideman - less chance of a penalty shot for McDavid.

28 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Don't forget our goal tending at the start was crap and we lucked out and got them 4 times very early in the season 2 back to back first 2 games hopefully Smith can remady that. I was so high on Elliott last yr and let down don't want to put all my eggs in the same basket so to speak if n you know what I mean

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I know hey.

Subtract Grossmann - less chance of being scored on in the opening minutes of a game.

Subtract Wideman - less chance of a penalty shot for McDavid.

I think that we played the oils early when we still didn't have our (you know what) together, nor did we drop Wideman to the curb yet. So the deal could've gotten us closer to them. 

I hope so!

28 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think that we played the oils early when we still didn't have our (you know what) together, nor did we drop Wideman to the curb yet. So the deal could've gotten us closer to them. 

I hope so!

Grossmann's giveaway in the 2nd minute of the Oilers' home opener was an epic fail.  

Wideman's penalty shot infraction was shortly after Johnny had been double hooked with no call.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Grossmann's giveaway in the 2nd minute of the Oilers' home opener was an epic fail.  

Wideman's penalty shot infraction was shortly after Johnny had been double hooked with no call.

Ya, I hope those calls start to even out. 

7 hours ago, zima said:

Here is a nice Piece on Travis

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=11915798

I'd seen it before & it just added to my respect for Travis. My Dad died just before I turned 5 & having someone like him would have been a Godsend. We not only gained a dang good defenseman but we gained a great person.

It's not mentioned in the clip why he wears the #3 but I'm happy to see on the Flames main page he'll continue to wear it. God bless.

From listening to Tre He was saying part of the reason he got Hamonic was it was to easy on the road to play match us against calgary in defence now that we have hamonic it is alot harder to play match up on the road cause you dont get last change like you do at home Just thought i would put that out there

Archived