Travis Hamonic

Carty

Just now, travel_dude said:

I don't like the isea of losing a 1st rounder, but how much do you pay to get a top 4 these days.  Taylor Hall?  Backlund?  Eberle brought back a marginal top 6 player, and he should be worth at least a 1st and 2nd.  

The best part is that the Oiler fans will lose their crap about this.  Trade a top RW to the same team that traded us Hamonic.  They wanted him more than Russell.

Thats the way I look at it, we either go into next season with a marginal top 4 d man or we trade for someone like hamonic.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

How does that one play out if we make the playoffs.  Conditional 2nd for Smith...COnfused.

EDIT - We need to do something about the forward pool.  Unless Shink and Poirier step up big time, we have another year of not graduating forwards.  Ooops, forgot about Janko.  But still

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This deal allows Calgary to go young on the 3rd pairing. Kulak and Andersson with Bartkowski filling in.

Yeah at least one young guy should be there. And maybe a cheap veteran. Also means that Stone is not coming back unless he signs fo rmuch less.

Just now, cross16 said:

I think most people overrate the Flames prospect pool. It's  good but it's not great. If I had more faith in their ability to find undrafted free agents and recoup those picks I'd be more understanding but the flames have not been successful in this area. I think you also overrate how easy it is to get top 60 picks back. Unless the Flames want to deal a core member I don't think you will see those picks come back. 

I think Treliving is pushing his chips in too quickly here and I don't like that he is pushing chips in anyway. I don't believe you win a cup or contend for a long time dealing away this many picks. 

Thats fair. I dont think this is the end of the world though, definatly will affect us.

But with that top 4 we should be contending, If we dont theres a bigger issue.

1 minute ago, manu11 said:

Yeah, something doesn't add up unless that cond. pick for Smith was a 2019 pick.

The Smith one I understand was choice of 18 or 19,   so theyve now confirmed it wont be 18 (going to NYI now) and  in the NYI deal its 19 or 20.. so im guessing thats now saying if we miss the playoffs in 19, NYI gets it then .. if we make the playoffs they get it in 20

3 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Thats fair. I dont think this is the end of the world though, definatly will affect us.

But with that top 4 we should be contending, If we dont theres a bigger issue.

Its not the end of the world no, but it's a really big risk and one I'm just not convinced the organization was ready for. I'd feel much better about it if the price on smith wasn't so high too. 

Just now, phoenix66 said:

The Smith one I understand was choice of 18 or 19,   so theyve now confirmed it wont be 18 (going to NYI now) and  in the NYI deal its 19 or 20.. so im guessing thats now saying if we miss the playoffs in 19, NYI gets it then .. if we make the playoffs they get it in 20

Ok, that makes perfect sense.  If the 2nd is gone n 19 (Smith), then the pick goes to 2020.  Weird how the condition of makng the playoffs happens one year, while the pick moves to another.

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Its not the end of the world no, but it's a really big risk and one I'm just not convinced the organization was ready for. I'd feel much better about it if the price on smith wasn't so high too. 

The Smith one hurt more, in my opinion.  BY itself, the Hamonic trade is not so bad.  Combine the two makes them both look worse.

Saying that, I am pretty high on the player.  

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

was it though?

To get Raanta , AZ basically had to take on a bad contract  AND give up the #7 pick and a top D prospect.

Again , I love Raanta , but its unproven whether he can handle a starters load 

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

was it though?

To get Raanta , AZ basically had to take on a bad contract  AND give up the #7 pick and a top D prospect.

Again , I love Raanta , but its unproven whether he can handle a starters load 

It was. A good d prospect and a 2 round pick for an average 35 year old starting goalie is a high price. 

But there are other threads for this and we've already debated it. 

4 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Im more happy that tre was able to talk him down from 2 1st to 1st and a second

New York paid a 15th overall and a 2019 2nd rounder to allow NYI to protect Hamonic.  

We paid them 1 1st and one extra 2nd to take him.  Weird.

Archived