So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

Just now, JTech780 said:

Gillies hasn't shown he can be consistent in the AHL yet, he still haunting to work on and he won't get the playing time to work on them in the NHL. If you look at a guy like Matt Murray he played at an elite level for 2 years in the AHL before getting promoted. Gillies still has yet to show that, but this year is his first year as a pro more or less.

I think Rittich with the season he put together should get a good look as the back up next season. Leave Gilles developing in Stockton.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think Rittich with the season he put together should get a good look as the back up next season. Leave Gilles developing in Stockton.

That's probably even better, with Parsons as a back-up.  That would leave McDonald and Schneider in Glens Falls...  Just need to find a short-term #1 guy.  Or, work-wise, perhaps McDonald to back up Gillies and Parsons to lead Glens Falls?

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Moving Giordano is a "lose now to gain later" move.  Of course we won't get fair value anymore for Giordano but it's about keeping a clean cap in the future.  

I also do think we can get Duchene for Giordano after a horrible season Duchene had.  Duchene once put up 70-points and is only 26.

Guess I don't agree on the last point so why i'm not as keen to move him. Can't see them getting that much, but if they could that would change my opinion.

the other part for me is I legitimately think the Flames are a piece or two away from being a team capable of winning a few rounds. Are we willing to give that up to move Gio and maybe be better in another 2-3 years?

Just now, cross16 said:

Guess I don't agree on the last point so why i'm not as keen to move him. Can't see them getting that much, but if they could that would change my opinion.

the other part for me is I legitimately think the Flames are a piece or two away from being a team capable of winning a few rounds. Are we willing to give that up to move Gio and maybe be better in another 2-3 years?

Giordano is a big part of the glue with this team and not a piece you subtract for at least the next 2 years.

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

"Not ready" as in even as a back-up?  Most NHL starters nowadays get groomed to be a starter as a back-up first and i think that's the next progression for Gillies and it should happen as early as this next season.

Well in that case "not ready" and "best for the player" would probably contradict IMO. Could he come up and be the back up, maybe but is that what is best? I agree with JTech that Gilles is still fairly inconsistent in the A, which I dont' consider big deal given he missed an entire season, and the best way to get more consistent is to play.I don't like the idea of his playing schedule being that of a backup and think he needs to be the guy somewhere and play consistently. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Depends what we get for Giordano i guess.

we're not in "rebuild" mode anymore we are in "tinker" mode. Rebuilding teams work with the goal of making the playoffs. That should be a given for us going forward (as in , unacceptable not to)

Now we need to tweak what we have to develop a contender. the only way cap should be a consideration in moving a player is if we have something as good or better , cheaper,  in the system. So trading Gio now is a bad idea.. he's the glue that holds us together. 

Theres also a difference between going out with the purpose of moving a player , and willing to listen if a team asks.

As far as I'm concerned , the only current "dont even ask" players on this team are :

Monahan

Tkachuk

Gio

Brodie

Backlund

Frolik

Ferland

On the bubble(you'd really have to convince me to listen..then blow me away )

Bennett

Make the offer really appealing , I'll listen:

Johnny

Hamilton (eg sign Alzner and Shattenkirk, and I'm listening on Hamilton)

On the bubble (we'll shop him but the return has to make sense)

Brouwer

Please make me an offer 

Stajan

Bouma

Thats my guess as to where the teams thinking would be ..  

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Depends what we get for Giordano i guess.

That's the thing. This isn't the same situation as Iggy. We are a team heading in the right direction, whereas with Iggy we were heading in the wrong direction. The only questions for me are:

1. Can we get there while Gio is still contributing; and
  2. If we can't get there while Gio is still contributing, is his leadership and experience more valuable to the development of the flames than a trade?

I don't know the answer to either question, but I will say that Gio's story is more compelling than just about anyone else's. If there's one player you want your team to model itself after it's Gio. Just some thoughts.

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

But that's the point.  In 2 years, he will be worthless in a trade, and after that, completely untradeable until he retires.

Fact is you don't know that now, you are speculating in a time players are taking better care of themselves and playing longer effectively.

33 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

we're not in "rebuild" mode anymore we are in "tinker" mode. Rebuilding teams work with the goal of making the playoffs. That should be a given for us going forward (as in , unacceptable not to)

Now we need to tweak what we have to develop a contender. the only way cap should be a consideration in moving a player is if we have something as good or better , cheaper,  in the system. So trading Gio now is a bad idea.. he's the glue that holds us together. 

Theres also a difference between going out with the purpose of moving a player , and willing to listen if a team asks.

As far as I'm concerned , the only current "dont even ask" players on this team are :

Monahan

Tkachuk

Gio

Brodie

Backlund

Frolik

Ferland

On the bubble(you'd really have to convince me to listen..then blow me away )

Bennett

Make the offer really appealing , I'll listen:

Johnny

Hamilton (eg sign Alzner and Shattenkirk, and I'm listening on Hamilton)

On the bubble (we'll shop him but the return has to make sense)

Brouwer

Please make me an offer 

Stajan

Bouma

Thats my guess as to where the teams thinking would be ..  

I love the groupings.  I might disagree on a few guys, but a good way to describe the situation.

I'll give my two cents to this debate. On Gaudreau: It is not time to trade him. I actually thought he played decently in the playoffs despite not putting it up on the scoreboard. The Ducks couldn't touch him when he had the puck. During the season, he was one of the biggest forces during the winning streak, and he did this despite mid-season surgery. I don't buy into the 'he doesn't want to play out West rumours.' He signed a (long) contract here, he is being paid well, and he has some buddies on the team. Gaudreau is fine.

Instead, I want to focus on the possibility of trading Backlund. I know I'm going to be yelled at for it, but hear me out. He is a 28 year old in the last year of his contract. By the time he re-signs, he will be a 29 year old in line for a huge pay increase, this coming at a point in time where I believe that he has plateaued. His value is at the highest it ever has been, and I would argue that it is at the highest it will ever be. By resigning him, not only do we tighten our own cap, but it is not guaranteed that his production will continue at the same level. On top of that, all of the centre depth within the organization will be asked to either change position, or move on. In other words, he could handcuff our team in a number of ways. Normally, I would say that a piece like him is essential for a team like ours, both during the playoffs and the regular season. And, to be fair, his chemistry with Frolik/Tkachuk, his defensive play, and his work on the PK cannot be ignored. However, it is my belief that Jankowski is ready to step in his place. After all, way back when we drafted Jankowski, it was thought that he could be a good 3rd line centre. Now is his chance, especially with a 1st and 2nd line centre in Monahan and Bennett respectively. This is not to mention the fact that Jankowski put up very good numbers in Stockton this year, and also has some decent size. Why not take advantage of this? To do so, we can't have him as our 13th forward, nor can we put him as a 4th line LW. In my estimation, he needs to play 3rd line Centre. Why not take advantage of Backlund's high value and trade him while we can? Not denying Backlund's a good player, just saying that he might not be the best fit anymore.

On Giordano, as I've said in the past, and will continue to say, I would really consider trading him. He is not getting any younger, and it is clear that he has lost a bit of a step. I have made the comparison to Chara in the past, and I think it is still accurate: great when we signed him, but declining as he plays out his contract. I love Giordano, and I realize that he is our captain. But, like Backlund, maybe just doesn't quite fit in anymore? Also, a think Monahan would make a very good captain...

Of course, the question is, where do we trade these guys? I don't know exactly who would go where or for what, but I really like Kevin Hayes in New York (Gaudreau's former linemate in college). I think he would work very well on this team. Somewhere else to consider is Tampa Bay. If they can't afford one of their RFAs (Johnson, Palat etc...), maybe one of Calgary's players could entice them? What about Pittsburgh's pickle with Fleury? If he refuses to wave his NMC, Pittsburgh could lose Murray for nothing. Maybe they want to trade him instead? Many in this forum have talked about New Jersey and Carolina. Would either one part with a top player for Backlund/Giordano? Not saying that any of these will happen, I'm just saying that Calgary needs a tweak, and these players offer a great opportunity to do so.

I would target Murray hard, if at all possible.  We all know Pitts has to move one of the two goalies, because there is no way you can afford to lose Murray for nothing.  It would be expensive, but worth it IMO.  A trade could look something like

To Pit: Backlund/Bennett + Gilles + Draft Pick

To CGY: Murray

I agree that Backlund is at his peak value right now.  If we can't afford him long term, acquiring a proven top tier (and young) goalie would be a huge boon.  That said, Bennet may hold more value for the pens due to age, potential, and contract situation.

1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

I would target Murray hard, if at all possible.  We all know Pitts has to move one of the two goalies, because there is no way you can afford to lose Murray for nothing.  It would be expensive, but worth it IMO.  A trade could look something like

I agree that Backlund is at his peak value right now.  If we can't afford him long term, acquiring a proven top tier (and young) goalie would be a huge boon.  That said, Bennet may hold more value for the pens due to age, potential, and contract situation.

Based on Pittsburgh's laid back reaction to the whole situation , I think when it all shakes out we will find that Pittsburgh and LV have a side deal that lets Pittsburgh keep both. They just don't seem to be giving it much concern.. they know something 

1 hour ago, Bluejays524 said:

I'll give my two cents to this debate. On Gaudreau: It is not time to trade him. I actually thought he played decently in the playoffs despite not putting it up on the scoreboard. The Ducks couldn't touch him when he had the puck. During the season, he was one of the biggest forces during the winning streak, and he did this despite mid-season surgery. I don't buy into the 'he doesn't want to play out West rumours.' He signed a (long) contract here, he is being paid well, and he has some buddies on the team. Gaudreau is fine.

Instead, I want to focus on the possibility of trading Backlund. I know I'm going to be yelled at for it, but hear me out. He is a 28 year old in the last year of his contract. By the time he re-signs, he will be a 29 year old in line for a huge pay increase, this coming at a point in time where I believe that he has plateaued. His value is at the highest it ever has been, and I would argue that it is at the highest it will ever be. By resigning him, not only do we tighten our own cap, but it is not guaranteed that his production will continue at the same level. On top of that, all of the centre depth within the organization will be asked to either change position, or move on. In other words, he could handcuff our team in a number of ways. Normally, I would say that a piece like him is essential for a team like ours, both during the playoffs and the regular season. And, to be fair, his chemistry with Frolik/Tkachuk, his defensive play, and his work on the PK cannot be ignored. However, it is my belief that Jankowski is ready to step in his place. After all, way back when we drafted Jankowski, it was thought that he could be a good 3rd line centre. Now is his chance, especially with a 1st and 2nd line centre in Monahan and Bennett respectively. This is not to mention the fact that Jankowski put up very good numbers in Stockton this year, and also has some decent size. Why not take advantage of this? To do so, we can't have him as our 13th forward, nor can we put him as a 4th line LW. In my estimation, he needs to play 3rd line Centre. Why not take advantage of Backlund's high value and trade him while we can? Not denying Backlund's a good player, just saying that he might not be the best fit anymore.

On Giordano, as I've said in the past, and will continue to say, I would really consider trading him. He is not getting any younger, and it is clear that he has lost a bit of a step. I have made the comparison to Chara in the past, and I think it is still accurate: great when we signed him, but declining as he plays out his contract. I love Giordano, and I realize that he is our captain. But, like Backlund, maybe just doesn't quite fit in anymore? Also, a think Monahan would make a very good captain...

Of course, the question is, where do we trade these guys? I don't know exactly who would go where or for what, but I really like Kevin Hayes in New York (Gaudreau's former linemate in college). I think he would work very well on this team. Somewhere else to consider is Tampa Bay. If they can't afford one of their RFAs (Johnson, Palat etc...), maybe one of Calgary's players could entice them? What about Pittsburgh's pickle with Fleury? If he refuses to wave his NMC, Pittsburgh could lose Murray for nothing. Maybe they want to trade him instead? Many in this forum have talked about New Jersey and Carolina. Would either one part with a top player for Backlund/Giordano? Not saying that any of these will happen, I'm just saying that Calgary needs a tweak, and these players offer a great opportunity to do so.

I don't think there is any doubt Backlund is the best trade piece this team has right now. Is the time right ? Likely because his stock is high but we would be giving up a ton of experience. I think you go backwards for a period if you expect Bennett or Jankowski to take his place. BT will have to gauge trading him depending on what he wants for money.

This isn't going to be popular but here goes.

After watching the season we need something much bigger than rearranging the deck chairs in the bottom 6 or botton 4 D.

Available to trade should be a high value Gaudreau. He's not the superstar many of you claim but would bring a good return now (probably less in the future). I'd be looking @ scoring deprived teams like Carolina or Florida for a D Hanifin or Faulk from the 'Canes or an older 1 like Yandle or Demers from Florida. Either way we'd probably get an add.

Another is Gio since he still holds value. If we expect a Duchene we'd have to add as the 'Lanche want a young D so that's probably a no go but TML have a need so a Nylander or Kapanen might not be off the board.

Obviously we need goalie(s) but there I'd hold off to see who LV gets & try to swoop with picks/prospects & if nothing worth while shakes loose then look @ the UFAs.

We aren't as close to being constant contenders as we hoped.

3 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

After watching the season we need something much bigger than rearranging the deck chairs in the bottom 6 or botton 4 D.

Available to trade should be a high value Gaudreau. He's not the superstar many of you claim but would bring a good return now (probably less in the future). I'd be looking @ scoring deprived teams like Carolina or Florida for a D Hanifin or Faulk from the 'Canes or an older 1 like Yandle or Demers from Florida. Either way we'd probably get an add.

Another is Gio since he still holds value. If we expect a Duchene we'd have to add as the 'Lanche want a young D so that's probably a no go but TML have a need so a Nylander or Kapanen might not be off the board.

Obviously we need goalie(s) but there I'd hold off to see who LV gets & try to swoop with picks/prospects & if nothing worth while shakes loose then look @ the UFAs.

Yeah I wouldn't move Gaudreau for any of the defensemen listed. Hanifin and Faulk have some interest but the add would have to be sizable.

2 hours ago, ABC923 said:

I again struggle trading 3 or 4 players for 1.  Seriously, are we saying that Murray is worth 2 first rounders (both proven nhl'ers) a potential starter, and a draft pick?  Another first rounder perhaps?  The idea is to tweak the team and shore up the weakness, not deplete and start again.  I would be willing to do Backlund and Ritiich for Murray.

3 hours ago, Bluejays524 said:

I like your thinking for the LT and the short term i.e. Jankowski and bringing in some of our top prospects.  If you can get good value then it should be seriously considered.  Both are at their peaks but the team is still a couple years out.  I think its going to come down to the goalie situation.  If BT goes out and signs a stud lt, i.e. Bishop then keep these guys and make a run for ti for 2-3 years while they still have value.  If he waits for Gillies/Parsons and signs a ST stud (1-3 years) then it might be best to get younger while we can because that will fit better over the long term with the rest of the team.  

48 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I pretty much agree with you, we still have a ways to go and need to focus on a couple year out, not today.  For Duchene we could likely add one of our young D, and your other choices are fine, except the Yandle/Demers ideas, which I would steer away from.

Since you brought it up, and Gaudreau is essentially a Flyers kid growing up, who might they move to bring him in?  I can think of 2-3 guys who would be attractive as options coming back but since I don't follow Philly I'm not sure what they might be looking for/needing.

I love and hate watching Gaudreau play ( gives up the puck - then makes a good play   Makes a bad pass - makes an incredible pass  passes when he should have shot - makes a perfect pass for a goal)

It would be tough to see him traded but:

Gaudreau to NJD

NJD 1st (before lottery) and Schnider to Cal

We get our goalie and 5th over all or better is great trade bait or a great pick.

Gaudreau plays at home

I have nothing to add except this requires a lot of consternation.

First thing is sign your GM.

After that, it's very hard, for me, at least.

Obviously we need a goalie, but how much $$ and term are we ready to part with?

Is Bernier an option? Or does it have to be a big name signing? Would I take MAF over Bernier at extended term and $$? Probably not.

If we go with a $6mil Bishop, I'm fine with that.

But it also presents an issue with how much we can upgrade at D and F.

I believe we saw what 2 simple moves of inserting Stone and Bart did.

It didn't take a ton to improve how we play.

I feel the same about the F group. It doesn't take much, we just need a couple of the right type of players. Just 2, maybe 3.

Do you want Stajan at C or Nate Thompson? That type of thing. It would be awesome to get an Oshie, but maybe a Beleskey is more what you want to bring to your game plan.

We're not the '94 Rangers, you can't just buy what you want, we have to buy exactly what will work.

That is scary to me. Sign Bishop to 5x5 even, it HAS to work, because we're going down a rabbit-hole of all in on a goalie, and our past with goalies is not great.

I'd maybe, and like I said lot's of consternation, improve the forward group as a priority which would in turn help the backend more than just grabbing big names.

Sorry for the ramble, but it's not so easy as getting Bishop, Alzner and Oshie will solve our problems.

If it doesn't, we are royally screwed to the cap.

This off-season may seal our fate, for better or worse, or we just keep trying to take baby-steps.

I'm not even sure there's a right answer.

So let's get BT inked, and I'll criticize him from there! :lol:

10 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

I pretty much agree with you, we still have a ways to go and need to focus on a couple year out, not today.  For Duchene we could likely add one of our young D, and your other choices are fine, except the Yandle/Demers ideas, which I would steer away from.

Since you brought it up, and Gaudreau is essentially a Flyers kid growing up, who might they move to bring him in?  I can think of 2-3 guys who would be attractive as options coming back but since I don't follow Philly I'm not sure what they might be looking for/needing.

From the Flyers I'd be asking for 1 of Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim or Myers & Konecny. All but Ghost are on ELCs so $s wise we'd have to take back MacDonald @ $5 million x 3.

So basically a probable 1st pairing D (I'd ask Provorov but settle for any of the 4), Konecny (a pleasant surprise for me) as a top 6 C/LW minimum & a servicable D in MacDonald (Flyers really want to bring in more kids & remove the last of Homer's signings) for fan favorite Gaudreau.

With Gaudreau the Flyers add to the top 6 for a double pronged attack with Giroux, Simmonds, Vorachek & maybe Schenn & Filppula as the other 5.

Not a trade either can't live without but both get stronger. Thus, a hockey trade.

7 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

From the Flyers I'd be asking for 1 of Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim or Myers & Konecny. All but Ghost are on ELCs so $s wise we'd have to take back MacDonald @ $5 million x 3.

So basically a probable 1st pairing D (I'd ask Provorov but settle for any of the 4), Konecny (a pleasant surprise for me) as a top 6 C/LW minimum & a servicable D in MacDonald (Flyers really want to bring in more kids & remove the last of Homer's signings) for fan favorite Gaudreau.

With Gaudreau the Flyers add to the top 6 for a double pronged attack with Giroux, Simmonds, Vorachek & maybe Schenn & Filppula as the other 5.

Not a trade either can't live without but both get stronger. Thus, a hockey trade.

Just something to think about, I'd hate to be, say, a Konecny coming in here for Gaudreau, due to the massive weight of expectation.

I love Konecny's game, but he's a kid, as is Provorov. That is a ton of weight in a massively spotlighted trade.

But I would counter, Provorov AND Konecny for JG and considerations.

You guys are loaded at D and upgrade Konecny,

What says you ff, let's have a trade between you and I?

All of your teams are out and all of my teams are out, let's have some fun!!

Lighten the mood, lol.

4 hours ago, Bluejays524 said:

I'm totally onboard.

I know we're coming of a high of making the playoffs so the timing of saying we should trade our Captain, best forward, and unsung hero are going to be unpopular but it's a rational idea.

Gaudreau... But only for a stud goalie.  Price, Holtby, Brobovsky, etc.

Backlund I wanted to trade for Rakell last off season when Rakell was holding out.  If we feel Bennett is ready for second line minutes and Jankowski can fill into the bottom 6 at center, then Backlund is a guy I would move.  Plus great cap hit ups his trade value immensely.  I really don't want to sign him long term at $6-mil-per but that's what he will get.

Giordano, exactly.  The cliff comes for everyone moving into their mid-30s.  No one knows when the cliff comes but just to be safe...

Archived