Flames Acquire Michael Stone

JTech780

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, TrippinVdUb said:

After the first 5 game sample size, the return looks promising. Need to see more still but theres potential here to have found a suitable 4-5. 

From what I see, he keeps the game simple and makes the right plays. He squares guys up coming into the zone, angling them to the boards, and Brodie can take the puck afterwards. 

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

From what I see, he keeps the game simple and makes the right plays. He squares guys up coming into the zone, angling them to the boards, and Brodie can take the puck afterwards. 

If all he does is stabilize the pairing so Brodie can do his thing with confidence we win. I think BT has every intention of signing him back on after all the expansion draft is over. I would go 3 years at 3.75M and nail this down.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

If all he does is stabilize the pairing so Brodie can do his thing with confidence we win. I think BT has every intention of signing him back on after all the expansion draft is over. I would go 3 years at 3.75M and nail this down.

Yes, he seems to work well with Brodie and certainly adds a strength/physical element that Brodie doesn't have.  The other benefit is it also makes our 5-6D pairing better and allows Wideman to ride the pine.

33 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Yes, he seems to work well with Brodie and certainly adds a strength/physical element that Brodie doesn't have.  The other benefit is it also makes our 5-6D pairing better and allows Wideman to ride the pine.

The biggest plus of the deal.  We could have simply sat Wideman and gone with a lesser 3rd pair, but the coach felt that was too risky.

I like Stone, from what I have seen of him.  Adds the physical aspect we didn't have beyond Gio.  Engelland has that but can't also cover for Brodie as well.  Hope we sign him  in the off-season and we lose a player that we have many of.

• 3 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:42 PM, CheersMan said:

BT did not spend a 3rd rounder to acquire Stone for just 23 games this season.  He clearly sees Stone as a 2nd pairing dman moving beyond this season.

LV will have first crack at resigning him though because it makes little sense to sign him now then protect only 9 players rather than 11 for the expansion draft.

Stone will be looking for 4+ on a long term deal which is why ARI cut bait.  If Stone stays, that means every other team in the league will pass on his asking price, hence we will yet again have one of the most expensive #4 dman in the league, and that’s after the acquisition cost. 

The conditional 5th rounder we tossed in tells me there were other bidders as well but no one was willing to pay the extra price.

BB always said you don’t build teams from UFA’s because they are all over priced.  This is even worse, this is UFA, plus expansions draft, plus acquisition cost of a 3rd and conditional 5th rounder.

I would consider this trade a failure if BT is unable to retain the player beyond this season on a multi-year deal with a cap hit of < $3.5, while retaining our key forward players.  Time will tell.

I now consider this trade a WIN!  5 core dmen locked up for at least 3 yrs and all are movable assets if required.  Bravo!!

Archived