Flames Acquire Michael Stone

JTech780

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JTech780 said:

Michael Stone acquired for a 2017 3rd and a conditional 2018 5th. Arizona is retaining half of his remaining salary. The condition on the 5th is if he re-signs in Calgary.

Solid trade and we didn't give up a whole lot for him.

I feel like I have wasted my whole morning. LOL just kidding. This is a very good move for now, good work BT.

Like this deal as I've been a fan of Stone for a while. Like the idea of getting him now too. He's having a bad year so you get the chance to see if it's related to the knee injury, Arizona as a team or is he just not as good as we thought. 

3rd in a weak draft is worth all of that for sure. 

OMG IT HAPPENED!!!!!

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Like this deal as I've been a Stone for a while. Like the idea of getting him now too. He's having a bad year so you get the chance to see if it's related to the knee injury, Arizona as a team or is he just not as good as we thought. 

3rd in a weak draft is worth all of that for sure. 

Plus the 50% retained..dahm

So with the aquisition of stone, how does everyone feel about our pairings going forward.

Im assuming engelland or wideman might be traded going forward but...

gio-hammy

brodie-stone

bart-wideman/engelland

That D corp looks better with the additions of bart and stone, im pretty happy. Hopefully we get some return on one of wideman/engelland.

I think they definetly acquired Stone to at least try and play him with Brodie. Hopefully it works out but nice thing (sort of I guess) is that with the season he Is having and the low acquisition cost he would be an option as a 5/6 guy too, even as a re sign. He won't garner much in FA is thats all he was traded for. 

Have to ask this since I've heard a few things about it.

If the Flames do not re-sign him, then he is available to LV in the exclusive window.  I have heard that this would be considered LV's pick from CGY.  However, if the Flames sign him prior to free agency (after the window), it could be considered circumvention?

Solid deal by Treliving, even better if he re-signs for reasonable money with us after the expansion draft.

He is really having a bad year, especially in the advanced stat section, but let's hope he is capable of that Nr.4 spot on D. Although I won't be too disappointed if he ends up as a solid Nr.5.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If the Flames do not re-sign him, then he is available to LV in the exclusive window.  I have heard that this would be considered LV's pick from CGY.  However, if the Flames sign him prior to free agency (after the window), it could be considered circumvention?

The league would have to prove that Calgary and Stone had a deal in place and waited till after the expansion draft to sign it. 

All Stone and his agent would have to say is that they wanted to test the market and see what else was out there, but they didn't receive any offers better than what Calgary had presented.

35 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That is an interesting point on the whole scenario. I dont know how the league would prove that, he could always say he was curious to see what las vegas has to offer like Jtech said.

Does this mean we have a trade in the works for Wideman or Engelland?

Have 8D all healthy.  All are waiver eligible.

No way we expose Bart-man, since we signed him to have a player to expose.  Too much risk in doing so.

Have 14F all healthy.  I believe that Bennett and Hathaway are the only waiver exempt player.

I guess it makes sense to waive Yokipakka, since the coach doesn't have much trust in him.  The safe play is Hathaway.  He can come back up in case of injury.

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

No way we expose Bart-man, since we signed him to have a player to expose.  Too much risk in doing so.

Have 14F all healthy.  I believe that Bennett and Hathaway are the only waiver exempt player.

I guess it makes sense to waive Yokipakka, since the coach doesn't have much trust in him.  The safe play is Hathaway.  He can come back up in case of injury.

I dont think so.

It seems to me there is a loophole? or I am I misunderstanding the way it is written.

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would just send Hathaway down right now and clear up the defense later.

26 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I dont think so.

It seems to me there is a loophole? or I am I misunderstanding the way it is written.

Sounds like a loophole to me.  Perhaps we can put Wideman in said loophole and tighten the string.

If I read it right, they can declare a player to be waived as non-roster, though the salary is still included.  Unfortunately this can;t be Wideman.  And Hathaway doesn;t require waivers. 

Good pick up by Treliving at the right price, and a good way to audition him without the obligation of a contract past this season...   I don't expect Stone to be a real game changer, but he could help plug a leak on the D... 

For those that didn't notice, in his 3rd season with the Hitmen, Stone had 19 goals and 42 assists along with a +43 (plus 13 points in 18 playoff games)...   In his 4th season he had 21 goals and 44 assists but dropped to a +4 (and added 20 points in 25 playoff games)...   Not saying that I expect him to produce any numbers approaching that, more just pointing out that he had a good run with the Hitmen...

Although this move is virtually for free, I'll take the wait and see.

I haven't watched him much, I always focus on Dvorak and Chychrun when I watch ARI.

But what I've noticed of him is slow and cumbersome.

That being said, if he can stay home and give Brodie more confident freedom I'd call him a good add.

The "take a step back" in me wonders if he'll be much of an upgrade on Wideman.

I am excited to see what he can bring, but I have very tempered expectations.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Sounds like a loophole to me.  Perhaps we can put Wideman in said loophole and tighten the string.

If I read it right, they can declare a player to be waived as non-roster, though the salary is still included.  Unfortunately this can;t be Wideman.  And Hathaway doesn;t require waivers. 

Not really a loophole, this has been around for a while. My assumption is they'll ask for the exemption (NHL can say no) until the trade deadline and the trade deadline will allow them to get under the active roster. 

Archived