Flames Acquire Michael Stone

JTech780

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Who is going to give him term?

Max term he gets anywhere is probably 4 years, but I think 3 years is more likely. Plus after a down year this year he is looking at getting less than the $4m he is currently getting. 

His wife is from here, and the rumors going around is that he was looking at houses in Calgary earlier in the year. So i think he would come here on a somewhat of a hometown discount.

I am thinking it would cost something like 2-3 years at $2.5-3.5m

The Penguins just gave up a 2nd for soon to be 36 year old Ron Hainsey.

Yea im not sure either why anyone would be giving a stone a max term big money deal. I like the player and like the potential, but we arent talking a dougie hamilton deal here, where someone is going to want to commit 5 million plus to him long term, I would agree 3 years in the 2.5-3.5 million range is likely, maybe even less. If he performs well in this 22 game tryout, I would be satisfied to get him at 3 million for 3.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell me what do you think Vegas will be offering trying to produce a winning team sooner rather than later a RHS with a hitting reputation? It Might be tuff to turn down what im sure LV that would be Las Vegas  just so I don't confuses any one. Don't forget there is a new team in the NHL and they will want to put on a show and they will have money to burn.

6 minutes ago, zima said:

Tell me what do you think Vegas will be offering trying to produce a winning team sooner rather than later a RHS with a hitting reputation? It Might be tuff to turn down what im sure LV that would be Las Vegas  just so I don't confuses any one. Don't forget there is a new team in the NHL and they will want to put on a show and they will have money to burn.

There is going to be plenty of defense available in the expansion draft, I don't think they will be out there throwing big term, big money contracts at guys to get them to Vegas. I also think a team like Vegas and GM George McPhee will be targeting a guy like Karl Alzner in the UFA market.

Also CGY is short for Calgary not Cal, I think that is why it was confusing.

5 minutes ago, zima said:

LV has to live with the cap like everyone else so money to burn in the right places would be wise. This isn't McPhee's first rodeo and he is going to have a lot of players to chose from in this process.

I guess time will tell but they will need at lease 7-10 D just to start and they will need to fill a AHL club as well. I Myself am not sold on a player that has had knee and concision issues seems to always work out for the worst. But being not  as astute as most on the forum I will leave it to the knowledgeable and stop with the conjecture   

I guess time will tell but they will need at lease 7-10 D just to start and they will need to fill a AHL club as well. I Myself am not sold on a player that has had knee and concision issues seems to always work out for the worst. But being not  as astute as most on the forum I will leave it to the knowledgeable and stop with the conjecture   

I can't find anything about Michael Stone ever having a concussion, his brother Mark has had a couple.

I think there is too much focus on the extension piece as I don't think there is any guarantee Flames will sign him not do I think there will be a rush to sign him. Remember, Flames only gave up a 3rd in a weak draft so that to me speaks to the fact that not only does Stone not have great value across the league but the Flames paid a lesser price so if it doens't work out they are not really out a great asset. I think if Stone signs an extension its becuase he fits well here, plays better, and he signs for reasonable terms, and if that happens most should be happy with that.

Also I think its worth pointing out that if Vegas wants Stone that could help the Flames too. Anyone who Vegas signs as a UFA prior to the expansion draft counts as a selection off that teams roster. If Vegas likes Stone enough to give him term and $, they would probably do it during that period and then Stone counts as the Flames selection and they lose nothing else off their roster. 

Ok I guess you will have to take with a grain of salt considering where I read it here is the link

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=83165&blogger_id=202

scroll down to ( why I don't like the trade )

Yeah Todd Cordell is terrible, I don't think he actually watches the games, just waits for the stats report the next day.

I did find a site that said he did suffer a concussion earlier this year. 1 concussion isn't really a problem. A lot of players in the NHL will have at least 1 concussion in their career and I would suggest most will, even though I haven't done the research to confirm it.

Even at that bottom of the article he says that at the price they paid it isn't the end if the world if it doesn't work out.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think there is too much focus on the extension piece as I don't think there is any guarantee Flames will sign him not do I think there will be a rush to sign him. Remember, Flames only gave up a 3rd in a weak draft so that to me speaks to the fact that not only does Stone not have great value across the league but the Flames paid a lesser price so if it doens't work out they are not really out a great asset. I think if Stone signs an extension its becuase he fits well here, plays better, and he signs for reasonable terms, and if that happens most should be happy with that.

Also I think its worth pointing out that if Vegas wants Stone that could help the Flames too. Anyone who Vegas signs as a UFA prior to the expansion draft counts as a selection off that teams roster. If Vegas likes Stone enough to give him term and $, they would probably do it during that period and then Stone counts as the Flames selection and they lose nothing else off their roster. 

Considering that PITTS just deal a AHL pllayer and a 2nd for Hainsey (35 year old LD), the price for Stone was quite low.  Not saying Hainsey is garbage, but it's a big price to pay for that tier player.  CAR retained 1/2 but so what.

Auction for Wideman starts with a 3rd.

39 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Considering that PITTS just deal a AHL pllayer and a 2nd for Hainsey (35 year old LD), the price for Stone was quite low.  Not saying Hainsey is garbage, but it's a big price to pay for that tier player.  CAR retained 1/2 but so what.

Auction for Wideman starts with a 3rd.

I have 3 pucks and a bag of cheetos, but I can't take on any salary.:wacko:

3 minutes ago, zima said:

You guys don't think some one would grab Wides do you? I think most teams would be scared to take the Baggage that comes with him his ref problems come to mind. I know some don't see the Bios but there are some who do 

Common sense says no, but at the trade deadline common sense quite often goes out the window.

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think STone has been decent. Biggest thing for me is he isn't so turnover prone. He manages the puck well and makes safe plays. Playing beside Brodie I really think that's all you need. 

Thats the truth. I actually like having a steady defender back there, the only mistake I thought he made tonight was he pinched and the puck took a werid hop off the boards for a 2 on 1 going the other way, other then that a really solid game.

7 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Thats the truth. I actually like having a steady defender back there, the only mistake I thought he made tonight was he pinched and the puck took a werid hop off the boards for a 2 on 1 going the other way, other then that a really solid game.

I think the two acquisitions have really helped. We don't need Bartkowski to be great, just a 3rd pair guy who can play with Engelland, and Stone just needs to makeBrodie feel comfy.

On 2/21/2017 at 2:06 PM, travel_dude said:

We had terrible goalies last season and that had zero effect on the value of Dougie.  May have effected the stats.

The cries for trading away Dougie last year have pretty much disappeared this year(since playing with Gio). I would hard pressed to say that last years goalies did not have an affect on his value. Yes he struggled too, but the goalies were no help at all last year with an exception of a small period where Ramo got us into contention around Christmas.

boy I need to give Treliving a little more credit here. Picks up Stone for a 3rd and a conditional 5th. Since then you've seen Hainsey garner a 2nd round pick and now Brendan Smith just netted the Wings a 2nd and a 3rd with no conditions on him re signing (as of right now). You can argue those 2 are better than Stone, but to me it would be an argument only because i'm not sure you can definitively say they are better than Stone.

Stone was having the worst season of the 3 so probably carried the most "risk" but still, nice work by the Flames here. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

boy I need to give Treliving a little more credit here. Picks up Stone for a 3rd and a conditional 5th. Since then you've seen Hainsey garner a 2nd round pick and now Brendan Smith just netted the Wings a 2nd and a 3rd with no conditions on him re signing (as of right now). You can argue those 2 are better than Stone, but to me it would be an argument only because i'm not sure you can definitively say they are better than Stone.

Stone was having the worst season of the 3 so probably carried the most "risk" but still, nice work by the Flames here. 

Im really thinking that has something to do with BT making a deal before anyone else got in on the market.

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Teams look at stats, some more than others.  Stone's season was a failure in every measure, but on a bad team.  Think Schultz only worth a 3rd.  

What they overlooked (seemingly) was this being a down year.  BT knows a bit about the player and Maloney eve more.  Good deal regardless of the timing.

30 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Im really thinking that has something to do with BT making a deal before anyone else got in on the market.

I agree. I think its speaks to him being aggressive when he knows what he wants and not sitting back. That was the Feaster way. 

he just seems to have a really good pulse. He pulls the trigger on Hudler and then prices fell the next day but he waits on Russell and gets a haul. He really picks his spots well on trades. 

Archived