Adam Fox

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎27 at 1:24 PM, rickross said:

At the end of the day there's no point ragging on Fox for his defensive game at this point...this kid is a great prospect in our pool no matter how we look at it. Yes he's offensive minded and gifted but he seems like a smart athlete that given time can learn to master the defensive side of the game. Guys like Karlsson or even the highly touted Shattenkirk aren't being praised for their defensive talent..but rather how productive they are offensively as D men. I'd agree id still peg Fox below Kylington and Andersson but lets not undermine the impact Fox is having at the collegiate level. In a few years time we could have one of the most mobile and offensively skilled set of core D men in our system of any team. 

Reading these posts it sounds like all these prospects have further development to take place, go figure. LOL

I see some really good qualities with all these players thus why I have faith in our defensemen pipeline being able to feed our needs for a while into the future.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Reading these posts it sounds like all these prospects have further development to take place, go figure. LOL

I see some really good qualities with all these players thus why I have faith in our defensemen pipeline being able to feed our needs for a while into the future.

I'm not quite that optimistic overall yet, but I Did sure like their 2017 draft.

Adam Fox shows tremendous potential.

I'm following Stepan Falkovsky too, their last pick (and a hail mary).     The guy has more goals than any other defenseman in the ECHL and it's not even close (even if it was close, everyone else is at least 2+ years older than him).

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?season=2016&leagueid=ECHL&pos=Defensemen&leagueteam=&teamname=&nation=&nationname=&age=&prospects=&order=G

Given that he's 6'7 and plays like it, there's obviously tremendous potential there if he can translate it even to the AHL.   

I am Really looking forward to seeing that guy in the Flames AHL system next year (hopefully).   He's been very successful transitioning out of junior, and give full credit to the Flames by making the good decision not to rush him, and give him premium ECHL minutes.    Now if he can make this next transition, we have ourselves a situation we want to have.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:34 PM, jjgallow said:

I'm not quite that optimistic overall yet, but I Did sure like their 2017 draft.

Adam Fox shows tremendous potential.

I'm following Stepan Falkovsky too, their last pick (and a hail mary).     The guy has more goals than any other defenseman in the ECHL and it's not even close (even if it was close, everyone else is at least 2+ years older than him).

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?season=2016&leagueid=ECHL&pos=Defensemen&leagueteam=&teamname=&nation=&nationname=&age=&prospects=&order=G

Given that he's 6'7 and plays like it, there's obviously tremendous potential there if he can translate it even to the AHL.   

I am Really looking forward to seeing that guy in the Flames AHL system next year (hopefully).   He's been very successful transitioning out of junior, and give full credit to the Flames by making the good decision not to rush him, and give him premium ECHL minutes.    Now if he can make this next transition, we have ourselves a situation we want to have.

So I am of the opinion that if Falkovsky makes it to the show, all those thrown away picks (Kanzig, Bruce, Smith) that people harp on Tre for are justified.

54 minutes ago, TrippinVdUb said:

So I am of the opinion that if Falkovsky makes it to the show, all those thrown away picks (Kanzig, Bruce, Smith) that people harp on Tre for are justified.

I would disagree with Kanzig and Bruce because neither of them ever demonstrated any kind of skill which would suggest they could have an impact at the NHL level.   While Falkovsky clearly did.    There is a big difference there, imho.   Blindly picking size, compared to picking players with size and high ceilings.

Hunter Smith, I understood.  He demonstrated a  high ceiling worthy of his draft position.   He wouldn't have been my pick, but understandable.   He may still turn out.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I would disagree with Kanzig and Bruce because neither of them ever demonstrated any kind of skill which would suggest they could have an impact at the NHL level.   While Falkovsky clearly did.    There is a big difference there, imho.   Blindly picking size, compared to picking players with size and high ceilings.

Hunter Smith, I understood.  He demonstrated a  high ceiling worthy of his draft position.   He wouldn't have been my pick, but understandable.   He may still turn out.

I don't fault BT for the picks. I wonder how many were Burke influenced.

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don't fault BT for the picks. I wonder how many were Burke influenced.

I don't really see the issue with taking a Chance on a couple big guys, was there a couple picks better maybe. But at this point taking those players isent the end of the world and who knows they are still very young

Kanzig was picked before both Burke and Treliving were here. 2013 draft 

Bruce is a 7th round pick and a guy with great size who can skate at this size. No real offence sure, but Complaining about that in the 7th round make no sense to me. 

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

Bruce is a 7th round pick and a guy with great size who can skate at this size. No real offence sure, but Complaining about that in the 7th round make no sense to me. 

Wasnt Burke then just signed on as president? I thought kanzig was at least a reaction to Burke's truculent ideology? 

10 hours ago, cross16 said:

IMHO, there is still a lot left in the 7th round.  Case in point, Stepan.   Sometimes it does require looking outside of the CHL, or at least, looking at players who are New to the CHL and still transitioning.   Sometimes it may require stepping out of your comfort zone.   And if this was the national speed skating league, I could see taking a flyer on Bruce.  But given that it's hockey, I just haven't seen a lot of success stories out of  adequate skating alone.  If any.   

I do agree, the 7th round isn't too much to get worked up about.  On the same hand, if there were ever a time for taking a risk on someone who could be amazing, why not then?   It's not like you can "play it safe" in round 7.    There is no such thing.  But I feel when they draft guys who appear that they might be adequate, they are doing just that.  And I don't get it.

23 hours ago, TrippinVdUb said:

Falkovsky is by far the big eye opener for this season and definitely should be positioned in Stockton for next season.

9 hours ago, jjgallow said:

IMHO, there is still a lot left in the 7th round.  Case in point, Stepan.   Sometimes it does require looking outside of the CHL, or at least, looking at players who are New to the CHL and still transitioning.   Sometimes it may require stepping out of your comfort zone.   And if this was the national speed skating league, I could see taking a flyer on Bruce.  But given that it's hockey, I just haven't seen a lot of success stories out of  adequate skating alone.  If any.   

I do agree, the 7th round isn't too much to get worked up about.  On the same hand, if there were ever a time for taking a risk on someone who could be amazing, why not then?   It's not like you can "play it safe" in round 7.    There is no such thing.  But I feel when they draft guys who appear that they might be adequate, they are doing just that.  And I don't get it.

Who would you rather have picked? its all about lottery tickets, its really about taking a chance on a guy who has some qualities you may like.

Falkovsky is a decent player. and I think the flames have done a good job of finding talent in the late rounds, but very few players after the 2nd round are going to be home run picks who make the league before 22. I dont think at this point we can say that kanzig, bruce, or smith will make the NHL or not, because we just dont know. 

2 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Who would you rather have picked? its all about lottery tickets, its really about taking a chance on a guy who has some qualities you may like.

Well since you asked, I think there were some incredible goalies who slid by in that draft.  

Veini Vehvilainen is one (and this year, Vladislav Sukhachyov slipped through).  Both are on the smaller side but incredibly talented.

You're right about the gamble to some degree.  In this case, you're gambling that the new equipment rules will make size more equitable for goalies.    If said statement were known to be true, they'd be first rounders.

I would disagree that it's a lottery.  I think the smart teams look for exceptional/elite talent, which even in the 7th round, can be had.    The complete package cannot be had past the first 10 picks of any draft.   But there is always that glimmer of light if you go look for it.   I find that a better use of the pick than the best available averageness.  Because by round 7, the "well rounded" players are long gone.  Losing strategy imho.

Anyway, I do think the Flames succeeded here with both Adam Fox and Folkovsky.  Both clearly have that glimmer of light, and various levels of other attributes which correlate to their respective draft positions.   I'd rather gamble on players like these, who have elite skills, but need to pick up areas that are lacking.   It's just a lot more probable than hoping for a player with well rounded abilities to develop eliteness.

7 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Well since you asked, I think there were some incredible goalies who slid by in that draft.  

Veini Vehvilainen is one (and this year, Vladislav Sukhachyov slipped through).  Both are on the smaller side but incredibly talented.

You're right about the gamble to some degree.  In this case, you're gambling that the new equipment rules will make size more equitable for goalies.    If said statement were known to be true, they'd be first rounders.

I would disagree that it's a lottery.  I think the smart teams look for exceptional/elite talent, which even in the 7th round, can be had.    The complete package cannot be had past the first 10 picks of any draft.   But there is always that glimmer of light if you go look for it.   I find that a better use of the pick than the best available averageness.  Because by round 7, the "well rounded" players are long gone.  Losing strategy imho.

Anyway, I do think the Flames succeeded here with both Adam Fox and Folkovsky.  Both clearly have that glimmer of light, and various levels of other attributes which correlate to their respective draft positions.   I'd rather gamble on players like these, who have elite skills, but need to pick up areas that are lacking.   It's just a lot more probable than hoping a player with well rounded abilities to develop eliteness.

I agree completely. Im just saying we arent going to hit on every pick and I dont think any team is going to draft every single guy with high end skill, you need to take a chance on some guys with size and skating ability. For example bruce is a good skater with size, and decent defensive skills, falkovsky is a great two way player with size, but his hockey sense might be a little lacking. 

It would be nice to take a chance on every guy with high end skill, but at the same time you do need guys who are more dependable and stand a good chance to make the show if say their skating improves as an example ie lance bouma.

Flames have arguably had better success in the later rounds than some of the earlier rounds. It's looking like they did very well nabbing Fox in the 3rd, and snagging Philips and Falkovsky later on. A lot of these drafts have been overhyping some of the early round prospects. There's always a few gems that emerge in those later rounds and the Flames have been lucky getting Brodie and Gaudreau to blossom into near elite players. 

I still have no clue where Lazar stands amongst our prospects so I'd be hesitant to guarantee him a spot playing with Bennett or centering his own line right now. Here's hoping we see good competition between Lazar, Janko and Klimchuk next training camp. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Too bad his team lost.  I hope he stays at Harvard for at least one or two more years.  

Me too.   And, I'm Really hoping, that he takes things up a notch next year.

His first year performance is extremely, extremely rare for US college, if not unheard of.   

The question is, has he plateaued, or will he come in next year even better?    

If he continues to improve, he will be looking at setting records and will quickly become one of our top prospects (or our top prospect).

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Me too.   And, I'm Really hoping, that he takes things up a notch next year.

His first year performance is extremely, extremely rare for US college, if not unheard of.   

The question is, has he plateaued, or will he come in next year even better?    

If he continues to improve, he will be looking at setting records and will quickly become one of our top prospects (or our top prospect).

The problem with this season that Harvard plays in the worst division in the NCAA.  So, he feasted on teams that weren't that good.

The only good thing is that he will be the guy next year.  He will have more responsibility, so he will have to be good in all aspects of the game.  Great environment to learn in.

Saves us burning a year, or playing him on a D-heavy AHL team.

On 4/8/2017 at 6:32 PM, travel_dude said:

The problem with this season that Harvard plays in the worst division in the NCAA.  So, he feasted on teams that weren't that good.

The only good thing is that he will be the guy next year.  He will have more responsibility, so he will have to be good in all aspects of the game.  Great environment to learn in.

Saves us burning a year, or playing him on a D-heavy AHL team.

Very true.  Although I woudn't necessarily call it a "problem", or use it to downplay his performance.  Just as much as he had some advantages, he was also a freshman, and an undersized one (for now) at that, as well as being a defenceman (we'd honestly have something to be excited about even if he was a forward).

It's still exceptional, it's still impressive.   But yes, the situation will be different next year and it will be up to him to see if he can build on it, or plateau.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So how many here actually believe Fox will sign with this team? I would love it if he did but with his rights only belonging to him in the future will we trade his rights or do we lose him in hopes of signing him? The way his credibility is climbing how many teams are already calling his management team offering them the world to sign with them? I know by rights teams are not allowed to but since when has that stopped teams from whispering in the little birdies ear. After losing Hickey im a little worried about our chances with Fox. 

Archived