Adam Fox

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So DD I think this is the right forum for this conversation and I know I said I would not do any more on here due to the Bios but can't help myself. I hear from BT he had no intentions of signing according to Foxes Management Imagine that looks like it can happen even to Calgary.

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Got some bad news for you Zima.  We just drafted 2 players headed for US colleges.

The good new?

We can sign Fox if he stays in college for two more years and doesn;t sign with CAR upon leaving.

Really not sure what CAR is  thinking regarding acquiring Fox

Top prospect? Yes

But look at their blueline even if they trade Faulk

Slavin-Pesce

Fleury-Hamilton

Bean-TVR

That's a loaded blueline with lots of pieces that will be staying put for the foreseeable future.

Most likely we see a Vesey situation and he signs in NYR 2 years from now 

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Got some bad news for you Zima.  We just drafted 2 players headed for US colleges.

The good new?

We can sign Fox if he stays in college for two more years and doesn;t sign with CAR upon leaving.

Even better, we can sign Fox as a free agent and send him to New Jersey or Ottawa. I was going to say Edmonton, but that's just cruel.

Wow you guys are like a dog with a bone. BT did say that Fox management said Fox was not interested in playing in Canada. Hey you guys are comfortable with drafting us college players then all the power to you. In this case unless those kids all of a sudden become elite forwards in the next few yrs then yes they probably will sign with the flames that is if the Flames are even interested in signing them. Don't get me wrong I was so hoping Fox would come to Calgary but again when signing College kids it does become a crap shoot to bad most of you can't recognize that fact. I know Im far from hockey sensible but I do see a problem in the college drafting.Plus as most like to point out it is not a common issue but I like to point out it can be an issue and one that should be recognized whether you like to or not. 

2 minutes ago, zima said:

Wow you guys are like a dog with a bone. BT did say that Fox management said Fox was not interested in playing in Canada. Hey you guys are comfortable with drafting us college players then all the power to you. In this case unless those kids all of a sudden become elite forwards in the next few yrs then yes they probably will sign with the flames that is if the Flames are even interested in signing them. Don't get me wrong I was so hoping Fox would come to Calgary but again when signing College kids it does become a crap shoot to bad most of you can't recognize that fact. I know Im far from hockey sensible but I do see a problem in the college drafting.Plus as most like to point out it is not a common issue but I like to point out it can be an issue and one that should be recognized whether you like to or not. 

I think more people share your concerns than you think. If a team has the choice between two equally good players, and one is on college, most would go with the other player. Having said that, arguably our best player was drafted this way. There is risk no doubt. It sounds as though you were correct that Fox was a problem.

Trust me Im not happy with how it turned out like I said I would have loved to see fox here but I hope Hanifin becomes the new Hamilton or Fox I just don't know much about him and the Caroline forum don't seem to sad about the trade

42 minutes ago, zima said:

You worry too much about players that aren't signed.  In a year, would Fox say something different?  Who knows.

The point is, you draft the best player available.  You should talk to the player during the combine so you get a sense of character.

Any player that would limit their career by waiting an extra one or two years to have the chance of FA signing is risking a lot.

Sign a deal with you drafting team.  If things don;t work out, move along.

If you become a stid with that yeam, then you are worth a ton.

On the other hand, wait an extra 2 years for the chance to sign with any team.  You may not be any more special a player by then.  You may get signed by a team and end up in the AHL forever.  

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You worry too much about players that aren't signed.  In a year, would Fox say something different?  Who knows.

The point is, you draft the best player available.  You should talk to the player during the combine so you get a sense of character.

Any player that would limit their career by waiting an extra one or two years to have the chance of FA signing is risking a lot.

Sign a deal with you drafting team.  If things don;t work out, move along.

If you become a stid with that yeam, then you are worth a ton.

On the other hand, wait an extra 2 years for the chance to sign with any team.  You may not be any more special a player by then.  You may get signed by a team and end up in the AHL forever.  

Well put. The reality is that Fox was an unknown at this point. Treliving never actually said that he would not sign. I believe that he said something along the lines of "there were questions". As you said, was that questions about right now, next year, or ever? zima is correct that there are questions about college players. Each situation, however, is unique. At times, the risk is worth the reward.

Fox was a 3rd round pick that turned into a solid trade asset. You don't draft just for the players that make your team, you draft for organizational assets too. Flames were able to parlay a good pick in fox into an asset, which is not often the case for 3rd rounders.  

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Really not sure what CAR is  thinking regarding acquiring Fox

Top prospect? Yes

But look at their blueline even if they trade Faulk

Slavin-Pesce

Fleury-Hamilton

Bean-TVR

That's a loaded blueline with lots of pieces that will be staying put for the foreseeable future.

Most likely we see a Vesey situation and he signs in NYR 2 years from now 

I hope they don’t turn around and trade him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

• 9 months later...
38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:
qs0lYHhw_bigger.jpgJeff Cox @JeffCoxSports
FollowFollow @JeffCoxSports
More

Per multiple sources, Harvard junior D Adam Fox will return for senior season, opting not to sign with Carolina Hurricanes. Favors becoming free agent next summer. Great news for Crimson and college hockey as a whole.

What are the chances you'd sign with a team like ours?

Not good.

Not good like 1 in a hundred?

I'd say more like 1 in a million...

So you're telling me there is a chance?

Maybe there's still a chance he'd be a Flame? :P I don't think so. 

19 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

What are the chances you'd sign with a team like ours?

Not good.

Not good like 1 in a hundred?

I'd say more like 1 in a million...

So you're telling me there is a chance?

Maybe there's still a chance he'd be a Flame? :P I don't think so. 

He's living in BOS area.

Grew up in NY State.

If we have RD depth by the time he is ready to sign, then he would not even look at us.

Does he blow us off because we traded his rights?  Who knows.

NHL is all about opportunity and there are teams that will bend over backwards for him.

Rags took another castoff from us (John Gilmour).

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He's living in BOS area.

Grew up in NY State.

If we have RD depth by the time he is ready to sign, then he would not even look at us.

Does he blow us off because we traded his rights?  Who knows.

NHL is all about opportunity and there are teams that will bend over backwards for him.

Rags took another castoff from us (John Gilmour).

I definitely don’t think he’ll sign with us, just me being both Dumb and Dumber 😬

i could see going to an eastern team too. Not necessarily the Eastern Conference, but one in that area, kind of Chicago onwards.

I have never been a huge fan of Fox, he lacks size, skating ability, his play in his own end leaves a lot to be desired and his shot is average. He thinks the game very well, so he can mask some of those short comings, but I don't think he becomes anything more than a 3rd pairing guy. I don't think the talent matches the hype, so NY can have him, just like they got guys like Hayes and Vesey whose talent haven't matched their hype coming out of college.

42 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I have never been a huge fan of Fox, he lacks size, skating ability, his play in his own end leaves a lot to be desired and his shot is average. He thinks the game very well, so he can mask some of those short comings, but I don't think he becomes anything more than a 3rd pairing guy. I don't think the talent matches the hype, so NY can have him, just like they got guys like Hayes and Vesey whose talent haven't matched their hype coming out of college.

I think he could become a second pairing guy, but you might be correct about the hype. I was excited about him coming to Calgary. His refusal to play for Carolina is a real turn off though. 

4 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I think he could become a second pairing guy, but you might be correct about the hype. I was excited about him coming to Calgary. His refusal to play for Carolina is a real turn off though. 

I agree. 

I think it shows that you're not willing to commit or willing to work for your spot. I think if you think you're good enough, you'll be able to beat someone out for a spot. I think like any other player, their rights should have to be retained by their team for a year after college. They should have to earn their rights. 

For me, that move talks about their character. 

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I agree. 

I think it shows that you're not willing to commit or willing to work for your spot. I think if you think you're good enough, you'll be able to beat someone out for a spot. I think like any other player, their rights should have to be retained by their team for a year after college. They should have to earn their rights. 

For me, that move talks about their character. 

Would you say that if he turned around and said he really wanted to come to Calgary?

I get that he jilted the team that owned his rights.

Then again, he publically denied saying he wouldn't sign here.

I don't like the system that allows players to opt out of signing with their drafting team in general.

It happen with players coming out of junior, but that's only if the team doesn't manage to sign him.

Weird system.

I think he should have to sign a 2 year ELC at the minimum and then go UFA.

That would be fair to both sides.

At least more fair than the current system.

I don't think this loophole is that big of an issue. One player every other 2-3 years takes advantage of it, but how many players get drafted and the team decides to not sign the player, it works both ways. If a legit star player took advantage of the loophole it would be a bigger deal, but since it's mostly depth players that are doing it, I don't see it as a big deal. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I don't think this loophole is that big of an issue. One player every other 2-3 years takes advantage of it, but how many players get drafted and the team decides to not sign the player, it works both ways. If a legit star player took advantage of the loophole it would be a bigger deal, but since it's mostly depth players that are doing it, I don't see it as a big deal. 

100% agree. System already favors the team so does not make sense to me why they deserve more. If they have to sign with the team that drafted them, then that team should be required to give them a contract. That would be the only "fair" way to do it. 

Archived