Adam Fox

That's my opinion that's what I base it on if he doesn't sign at end of his hockey career this yr then I believe he will be traded by draft day coming up because he will not be committing to the Calgary Flames. Same as Hickey last yr no commitment no reason to keep him. I also Believe that they will allow him to use up 1 yr of his ELC to get him in the fold just like JH.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, zima said:

That's my opinion that's what I base it on if he doesn't sign at end of his hockey career this yr then I believe he will be traded by draft day coming up because he will not be committing to the Calgary Flames. Same as Hickey last yr no commitment no reason to keep him. I also Believe that they will allow him to use up 1 yr of his ELC to get him in the fold just like JH.

He has 2 years left of college.  They own his rights.  Hickey was a dud.  They opted to trade him because he was not as good as they originally thought.

I guess time will tell but I think if he doesn't sign this yr he will be traded. He is a huge asset that could bring us a good pick that could turn out to be usable next yr not a maybe in 2 yrs unless of course there silly enough to sign another college player. I hate those college signings they are to unpredictable in my mind.

2 hours ago, zima said:

I guess time will tell but I think if he doesn't sign this yr he will be traded. He is a huge asset that could bring us a good pick that could turn out to be usable next yr not a maybe in 2 yrs unless of course there silly enough to sign another college player. I hate those college signings they are to unpredictable in my mind.

The signing watch is on for sure. Get it done BT.

On 3/11/2018 at 11:18 PM, travel_dude said:

Wondering where you got that from.

Last I heard (last summer) he said he understands the blueline depth we have but wants to start off right, whether that means AHL or not.

I've never heard him say he wants to stay in college for 4 years. 

The source of it I can't completely remember, but some time during the summer I'm 100% sure I heard from somewhere that he intends to finish his time at Harvard.

Could have been from Francis, or during the world juniors, or from an interview...but I know it was from a reputable source.

I mean never say never, but I'm almost sure signing him at this point is pretty unlikely.

1 minute ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

The source of it I can't completely remember, but some time during the summer I'm 100% sure I heard from somewhere that he intends to finish his time at Harvard.

Could have been from Francis, or during the world juniors, or from an interview...but I know it was from a reputable source.

I mean never say never, but I'm almost sure signing him at this point is pretty unlikely.

And I remember reading his quote from the summer, where he said he understands the depth that Calgary has on the blueline, and that he understands that he may have to play in Stockton or wherever to start his pro career.

When you look at Harvard this season (barely a 500 team) and add to that losing some more depth (likely Donato), they will be a worse team next season.  Doesn't mean he won't finish out his degree there, but as far as playing on a losing team I think he may wish to sign while his trajectory is still pointing up.  

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

And I remember reading his quote from the summer, where he said he understands the depth that Calgary has on the blueline, and that he understands that he may have to play in Stockton or wherever to start his pro career.

When you look at Harvard this season (barely a 500 team) and add to that losing some more depth (likely Donato), they will be a worse team next season.  Doesn't mean he won't finish out his degree there, but as far as playing on a losing team I think he may wish to sign while his trajectory is still pointing up.  

Hmm, good point.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Don't think it will shock me if Fox stays. Could go either way and I have no facts here but I could easily see the Flames wanting to take their time with Fox so why no leave him in a spot he's comfortable in. I've liked how Fox's game has developed but there are still some wrinkles you want to see him iron out so I don't get the rush to put him in the lineup. Would probably be Fox's call but if he wants to go back I don't think i would push him otherwise. 

Looks like Donato Has already signed with Boston that might open Foxes eyes to see that its time to move on. I know Im always a glass half empty when it comes to our College picks I hate the fact that they can decide not to sign with there drafted team I also know it doesn't happen alot but it does happen. I would feel alot more at ease if Fox was signed. We are very shallow on picks BT has given up a ton of picks Since he has taken over some like lazar possibly a wash. But Harmanic and Hamilton are a big hit on prospects losing Fox would potentially hurt as well.

28 minutes ago, zima said:

Looks like Donato Has already signed with Boston that might open Foxes eyes to see that its time to move on. I know Im always a glass half empty when it comes to our College picks I hate the fact that they can decide not to sign with there drafted team I also know it doesn't happen alot but it does happen. I would feel alot more at ease if Fox was signed. We are very shallow on picks BT has given up a ton of picks Since he has taken over some like lazar possibly a wash. But Harmanic and Hamilton are a big hit on prospects losing Fox would potentially hurt as well.

The year Donato was drafted, we chose Mason MacDonald and Hunter Smith before Donato and Dvorak, two wasted picks IMHO.  Also passed on Point, Montour and Arvidson.  Donato may never amount to anything, but the other guys were total misses.  

It's pretty rare that a guy drafted that goes to college ever gets signed by a different team, unless that team chooses not to sign him.  There's really only a few high profile guys that ever sign elsewhere.  Vessey and Schultz, neither is that great.  Okay players.  Fox is a Flames pick.  I'm not that concerned about signing him right this second, but would like to get him in pro this year so he can take over from Ras.

We have plenty of D-men in the system.  Guys like Fox are rare, but he's really a QB D-man, not as much scoring on 5v5.  We could use that for sure.      

One hold up for the Adam Fox situation could be that we are at 49 contracts right now and if we sign Fox now that means we can't sign any other college UFA's this year. So if we wanted to target Max Veronneau for instance we would have to wait to sign Fox till later.

30 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

One hold up for the Adam Fox situation could be that we are at 49 contracts right now and if we sign Fox now that means we can't sign any other college UFA's this year. So if we wanted to target Max Veronneau for instance we would have to wait to sign Fox till later.

Fox may not view this as an option but you could always sign him to a contract that starts next year. Contract doesn't have to begin or count towards this year's contracts.

But that's contingent on Fox who may want to burn the year. Another issue is that if Fox does want to burn the year and start the clock the flames have to get him into a game but right now they are in a playoff race so is it realistic they can get him in a game? May be waiting to see what happens because if they were close down the stretch I don't think you want to be inserting a rookie dman fresh out of college, or killing a spot on the bench. 

Still have a hard time seeing the hold up being to burn the year though. Flames still have exclusive rights on him for 2 years and he's likely going to spend time in the A, something he even admitted, so i'm not sure the whole burn the year thing is a huge value add to Fox at this point. It would be next summer but I don't see it for this summer. I think whats far more likely right now is where do the Flames and Fox think is best for his development next year and I don't think that answer is very easy. 

3 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

With all of the departures, Fox may well be the best player on Harvard's roster next season.

He chose the easy route (in terms of hockey, cant imagine Harvard being easy) which also gives him the best options next year.  It was his choice.

Archived