We are ̶A̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ a playoff bound team ̶?̶

CheersMan

1 hour ago, DHT said:

I agree. It should be a 3 points game for regulation win. Overtime winner get 2 and loser get 1 point. This is how it should be.

The standings wouldn't really change in that system we would still be behind Anaheim (104 points) and Edmonton (103 points), we would be at 100 points. I really don't see the point in going to that system. If they are going to make a change, which they won't, they should do away with points and go by wins. There would be a whole lot less OT games that way. Right now the system rewards teams for going to OT, it is actually in the best interest for every team to take every game to OT, that way you maximize your ability to accumulate points. The 3 point system might fix that a bit but not really enough.

If this is a sport where winning is the most important thing, they have a funny way of rewarding teams that win. We have more wins than Anaheim in the same amount of games and have the same amount of wins as Edmonton in the same amount of games but have won more in regulation than Edmonton. As far as winning goes we are the 2nd best team in the division, but sit 4th because the other two teams are better at losing than we are. 

I go on this rant every time it comes up and to be honest it drives me crazy whenever I look at the standings.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

The standings wouldn't really change in that system we would still be behind Anaheim (104 points) and Edmonton (103 points), we would be at 100 points. I really don't see the point in going to that system. If they are going to make a change, which they won't, they should do away with points and go by wins. There would be a whole lot less OT games that way. Right now the system rewards teams for going to OT, it is actually in the best interest for every team to take every game to OT, that way you maximize your ability to accumulate points. The 3 point system might fix that a bit but not really enough.

If this is a sport where winning is the most important thing, they have a funny way of rewarding teams that win. We have more wins than Anaheim in the same amount of games and have the same amount of wins as Edmonton in the same amount of games but have won more in regulation than Edmonton. As far as winning goes we are the 2nd best team in the division, but sit 4th because the other two teams are better at losing than we are. 

I go on this rant every time it comes up and to be honest it drives me crazy whenever I look at the standings.

I couldnt have said it better myself. I get why the NHL does it, its all well and good to make it look like everyone is really close/in the race. But at the same time its frustrating to me, that edmonton/anaheim have lost more in OT, so they are higher in the standings. Id like us to go to a system like the NBA, you win and youre in, thats it thats all. Loser points are such BS.

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I couldnt have said it better myself. I get why the NHL does it, its all well and good to make it look like everyone is really close/in the race. But at the same time its frustrating to me, that edmonton/anaheim have lost more in OT, so they are higher in the standings. Id like us to go to a system like the NBA, you win and youre in, thats it thats all. Loser points are such BS.

Myself, I would prefer that you win in regulation you get two.  Lose in OT you get nothing.  Remain tied after OT, you each get a point.  AT least it gives incentive for a team needing the two points.   I hate the skills competition.  

Just now, travel_dude said:

Myself, I would prefer that you win in regulation you get two.  Lose in OT you get nothing.  Remain tied after OT, you each get a point.  AT least it gives incentive for a team needing the two points.   I hate the skills competition.  

That would be good. I also heard the do away with the shoot out and expand the OT to 10 minutes.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I hated ties. Each game needs a winner and a loser. Both teams have 65 mins to win the game, if they can't get it done then we go to the shootout. 

35 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I hated ties. Each game needs a winner and a loser. Both teams have 65 mins to win the game, if they can't get it done then we go to the shootout. 

And I despise shootouts.  Hockey, soccer, whatever.  How did you enjoy Canada losing in international hockey in shooyouts?

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

And I despise shootouts.  Hockey, soccer, whatever.  How did you enjoy Canada losing in international hockey in shooyouts?

I never enjoy Canada losing, but the issue wasn't with the shootout. Both teams are playing under the same rules, so it's not like a shootout favors one team over another. I find the shootout exciting.

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The way the points system worked prior to messing with it for the sake of teams in the Sunbelt.

For me that tried & true remains the far superior real standings rather than the touchy feely points for every one way.

Returning to that would even help the rebuild via the ditch crowd.

To us purists a hard played tie > a sloppy game nobody seems anxious to win as the loser point is the main concern. Ever the OT now is a farce just slightly less stupid than the skill competition.

Games have always been worth 2 points. A tied game would go to OT until the WWII blackout came into play. When games ended in ties during the season points were split 1-1. But when playoffs came all ties became OT until there was a winner. Made for some late nights but the bleary eyes marked you as a diehard fan.

TG they haven't mandated shoot outs for playoffs. Losing a SC based on 1 lucky penalty shot would be as disgusting as the IIHF use of shootouts  to decide medals. I still get POed talking about Canada losing the Gold to Sweden on that Peter Forsberg shot.

Not to change the topic, but I just want to respond to the Name of this thread and say...

Hell yes , we are going to the playoffs. This is the best Flames team we have iced in a long, long time. I know its hard to believe, given how this season has gone but I think this road trip was the start to this group finaly putting it all together and playing up to there potential. This is going to be a fun race to the finish...

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I agree. I wouldn't mind going back to the no shootout method.

If it remains tied after OT then both teams get a loser point as they both failed to win the game.

As FF said, a hard-fought tie was just as enjoyable as a win sometimes.

59 minutes ago, TrippinVdUb said:

Not to change the topic, but I just want to respond to the Name of this thread and say...

Hell yes , we are going to the playoffs. This is the best Flames team we have iced in a long, long time. I know its hard to believe, given how this season has gone but I think this road trip was the start to this group finaly putting it all together and playing up to there potential. This is going to be a fun race to the finish...

If we punch a big hole in LA, everyone is going to start listening.:)

1 minute ago, Pyromancer said:

I agree. I wouldn't mind going back to the no shootout method.

If it remains tied after OT then both teams get a loser point as they both failed to win the game.

As FF said, a hard-fought tie was just as enjoyable as a win sometimes.

I think many thought that the tie was teams not playing any offense for fear of losing a single point.  But, those were the days of rampant holding, NJ traps, etc.  Not exactly what the game is today.  I am ok with the 3v3 hockey in OT, because at last it's hockey play.  The PS format is dumb because it rewards players like Eberle that float through games.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

If we punch a big hole in LA, everyone is going to start listening.:)

Keeping an eye on LA tonight.  Hope they leave it on the ice.  

I have been of the opinion that they would be in the playoffs since we started turning around our season in November/December.  January was a tough month, but we are back in the picture, in a strong way.  

43 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Unless it's an aberration, we were better than TBay, FLA and the Canes, who all have a lot to play for.

The argument, "taking the Flames lightly", maybe.

But I'm pretty sure that's over now.

Can we be dominant at home, remains to be seen...

We are beating the teams I thought would give us trouble on the road.  Our road record is better than I can remember it being in awhile.  Last year it was terrible and Johnny couldn't score.  This year JH struggled at home, but may actually have turned a corner.  Giving him a capable (for now), speedy winger has given him some confidence in his line mates.  And Ferland is creating some space for him.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We are beating the teams I thought would give us trouble on the road.  Our road record is better than I can remember it being in awhile.  Last year it was terrible and Johnny couldn't score.  This year JH struggled at home, but may actually have turned a corner.  Giving him a capable (for now), speedy winger has given him some confidence in his line mates.  And Ferland is creating some space for him.

I would like to see us simplify more at home. Sometimes the team can tend to get too pretty this year. I hope Ferland can keep it up. 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Keeping an eye on LA tonight.  Hope they leave it on the ice.  

I have been of the opinion that they would be in the playoffs since we started turning around our season in November/December.  January was a tough month, but we are back in the picture, in a strong way.  

They Lost in OT tonight. They're 5 back now. So tomorrow is a big "4 pointer." If we win, we are 7 up and they still have the game in hand. But it keeps us ahead.

Going to OT might have them tired for us tomorrow night. Let's up. Or do we play Wednesday? 

Big home stand here, I share a lot of your concerns with the Flames play at home...they seem to play with some complacency at home . Big pts up for grabs, 1 story line will be Elliot vs Bishop...I'm hoping Elliot continues his strong play, the guy deserves a shutout! You can never write off the Kings around this time of year and Sutter knows this rinks intricacies all too well. This will be a straight up playoff game.

LA has played better since Quick returned. Now they just took Minny to over time last night on a plane and fly to Calgary, I would assume they are tired.  We have won the last few but have not look like great doing it. Tonight's game is a winnable game but this team seems to fold like a 3 dollar tent when the pressure is on. I wouldn't say this is a must win but it is a personal statement game for this club. Curious to see which team shows up tonight!

Calgary is closer to Anaheim and Edmonton then LA is to us.  Plus LA has a tough schedule for the rest of the season and have went 3-6-1 in their last 10.  Sure the return of Quick and the acquisition of Bishop might help them. But goal tending hasn't been their problem.  They are top 5 in goals against and their goal tending has been strong.  Their issue is that they can't score.  

The only reason St Louis is still in the picture is their six game winning streak in February.  You could say the same about Calgary, except they followed it up with a three game losing skid (so far) and just traded one of their top players.  They are a team primed for a collapse.  Meanwhile Winnipeg is the only other team that is close and they aren't exactly making a push.  It is very unlikely they get back into the picture.  

A win again LA tonight would be huge for us.  But win or lose we are in great shape.  We just need to avoid a major collapse.  

2 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Calgary is closer to Anaheim and Edmonton then LA is to us.  Plus LA has a tough schedule for the rest of the season and have went 3-6-1 in their last 10.  Sure the return of Quick and the acquisition of Bishop might help them. But goal tending hasn't been their problem.  They are top 5 in goals against and their goal tending has been strong.  Their issue is that they can't score.  

The only reason St Louis is still in the picture is their six game winning streak in February.  You could say the same about Calgary, except they followed it up with a three game losing skid (so far) and just traded one of their top players.  They are a team primed for a collapse.  Meanwhile Winnipeg is the only other team that is close and they aren't exactly making a push.  It is very unlikely they get back into the picture.  

A win again LA tonight would be huge for us.  But win or lose we are in great shape.  We just need to avoid a major collapse.  

I agree, our team needs to keep concentrating on getting better. We have improved our defense group, we have some good line combinations producing and our goaltending could be getting hot at a good time. Go Flames Go

Archived