World Cup 2016

cccsberg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's no different than Crosby, for a comparison.

On a one up, JG isn't making Canada's team, perhaps ever.

Of course not, he's American. Without the NA team there's a good chance he's on this year's USA team.

And as far as the Crosby reference, NO it's not the same. Crosby is a proven winner, best player in the world, big time producer. McDavid is a big hype machine to date, none of those things. He has scored a lot in a limited first season. He could be great, or he could be Yakupov 2.0. Nothing is proven, and all the hype, Captaincy, etc is hugely presumptive that frankly hasn't even remotely fulfilled to date. Show me, then I'll believe you...

As for the lines, Putting Mcdavid with Mackinnon is a joke. McKinnon is one of the biggest puck hogs on the team. As the game proved, it was a dud. What is Mclelland thinking, now where does he go, everything is a mess. Mcdavid has done next to nothing, Gaudreau has looked good in multiple combos, McKinnon and Drouin pretty good, Schieffle good, Ekblad good, goalies good.... Big decisions to be made.

Of course not, he's American. Without the NA team there's a good chance he's on this year's USA team.

I fully understood that in my initial post.

I know he's American, for the love of all that is holy.

What I mean, if he's Canadian, he wouldn't make our national team anytime soon. If ever.

I'm thinking not ever.

Interesting a Czech team with a potential for jet lag beats NA.

Team NA vs more structured, better coached teams is looking like an uh-oh.

What I mean, if he's Canadian, he wouldn't make our national team anytime soon. If ever.

I'm thinking not ever.

Interesting a Czech team with a potential for jet lag beats NA.

Did you notice some of the poor play by the forwards without the puck?  Guy not being covered at all sneaks in close for an easy tap in.  I understand the logic of his NHL coach wanting to try him out in all scenarios, but McDavid is not very good shothanded.  He doesn't have to be.  There are players from structured teams that know how to PK.  Even Nuge would be better choice.

It's a throw-away game, but they should have been more concerned with building chemistry on what worked.  

Did you notice some of the poor play by the forwards without the puck?  Guy not being covered at all sneaks in close for an easy tap in.  I understand the logic of his NHL coach wanting to try him out in all scenarios, but McDavid is not very good shothanded.  He doesn't have to be.  There are players from structured teams that know how to PK.  Even Nuge would be better choice.

It's a throw-away game, but they should have been more concerned with building chemistry on what worked.  

Gaudreau-McDavid are a defensive disaster 5-on-5.

I'll say it again, Saad, Larkin, RNH, Scheifele, "should have added Galchenyuk" need to be the leaders.

It's McMellon's roster.

I think he took "showcase" literally...

I'll say it again, Saad, Larkin, RNH, Scheifele, "should have added Galchenyuk" need to be the leaders.

It's McMellon's roster.

That's funny, Johnny didn't play with McDavid except for a few shifts in the 3rd.  One was during a scoring play.  He wasn't on the ice for McDavid's gaffe.  Won't dispute who you think the leaders should be.  JT Miller should not be on this team.  Bennett would have been a far better choice.  

I found it funny that Johnny ended up with Nuge and Eichel.  Not much chemistry with Eichel.  Too bad Monahan wasn't able to play.

I ill give props to the goalie.  Still can't figure out how Johnny missed that tap in.

Wow, so Canada only beat Russian in OT and Europe beat Sweden pretty handily looking at the score. I don't know of they dominated but they put the puck in the net plenty.

So, maybe the pool with North America, Russia, Sweden, and Finland might be more contestable than first thought.

I'm thinking not ever.Interesting a Czech team with a potential for jet lag beats NA.

So you're telling me Patrick Kane wouldn't make Team Canada now, if ever? Doubtful, and thinking of Gaudreau in the future, if not even now you've got to be thinking Kane.

It's McMellon's roster.

Yup, Mcdavid as Captain and trying everything to make him go is a huge mistake. But, Oilers GM and coach, are we surprised?

So you're telling me Patrick Kane wouldn't make Team Canada now, if ever? Doubtful, and thinking of Gaudreau in the future, if not even now you've got to be thinking Kane.

Yup, Mcdavid as Captain and trying everything to make him go is a huge mistake. But, Oilers GM and coach, are we surprised?

It's funny how different coaches approach players.  Torts reduced the minutes of Patches for not being 100% involved.  McLellan talks about his star needing to be more selfish and stop asking permission to do stuff.  Funny comments about a leader.  

I'm content to sit back, watch some NHL style hockey in September and evaluate the play I see on the ice.  You want to be a leader? Show something - hit someone, stop a goal, carry a shift on your back like Iggy did in "The Shift".  I get that he is young, but if that is the excuse, then don't force the captain spot on him.  He might not be ready this year, not here not in the new arena. 

Easy on the Kane.

I'm saying Gaudreau, not Kane.

Altogether different things.

Where does that comparison come from?

Is this the same Team Europe that got their (.)s handed to them bt the Kiddie Korps (twice)? Then they beat Sweden & now have the USA back on their heels.

Slow starters or lurking in the weeds until games matter?

Torts amazes me yet again. 1st he uses Buff @ forward after 2 years excelling as a defence & now makes him a healthy scratch. Fonzie is an enigma & is costing the USA chances in a short unforgiving tourney.

Watching some of Team Europe and have to believe Ralph Kruger is going to get another coaching job if he wants it. He prepares, game plans and structures his teams too well to not get another shot. Impressed by Team Europe today.

As good a job as Team Europe did to win the game (all due credit to them), I still have to wonder where the USA team was. Did they think they (minus Quick) were playing tonight instead of this afternoon, because I'm not sure they showed up?

Is this the same Team Europe that got their (.)s handed to them bt the Kiddie Korps (twice)? Then they beat Sweden & now have the USA back on their heels.

Slow starters or lurking in the weeds until games matter?

Does make one wonder if Team NA is better then they're getting credit for with the two wins over them. 

Impressive domination of the Finns.  Johnny had at least 4 scoring chances.  MacKinnon's line looks dangerous almost every shift. Partyanko and Ghost both look like winners.  Ekblad less dominant on offense, but great defense.  Extended ice time hasn't really helped the top line get going offensively.  They did manage to get a PPG, which is necessary in this series.

Big test against the Ruskies tonight. 

As good a job as Team Europe did to win the game (all due credit to them), I still have to wonder where the USA team was. Did they think they (minus Quick) were playing tonight instead of this afternoon, because I'm not sure they showed up?

I think Team Europe deserves a lot of credit for that. They really slowed down the play in the neutral zone and I dont' think US was very preapred for that, and its a Torts coached team so you know they want to go North-south. 

I don't disagree Team USA didn't play their best hockey but I think alot of the credit should go to how Europe played. 

Impressive domination of the Finns. Johnny had at least 4 scoring chances. MacKinnon's line looks dangerous almost every shift. Partyanko and Ghost both look like winners. Ekblad less dominant on offense, but great defense. Extended ice time hasn't really helped the top line get going offensively. They did manage to get a PPG, which is necessary in this series.

Big test against the Ruskies tonight.

Top line didn't have extended play time. McDavid and Schiefele played just under 15 mins

Archived