World Cup 2016

cccsberg

10 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Thank god that is over now we can get back to real hockey. 

This tournament was boring, the games didn't mean anything. At least there won't be another one for 4 years.

The faces of some of the players on the losing teams showed similar disappointment as if they had been eliminated in a playoff series...

I saw some intense hockey in some of the games I watched...    It sure looked like the games meant something to a good number of the players involved...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Carty said:

The faces of some of the players on the losing teams showed similar disappointment as if they had been eliminated in a playoff series...

I saw some intense hockey in some of the games I watched...    It sure looked like the games meant something to a good number of the players involved...

I have to agree. I understand certain critique of the trounament for sure and can see some of where JTech may be coming from but I don't think you can accuse this trounament of lacking in pasion. YOu don't score 2 goals in 2 mins with less than 5 to play if the game doesn't mean something to you. I was actually quite surprised form the get go of how many enthusiasm and competiveness there was from the players in this trounament. If it doens't mean anything to them well then they put on quite the show to hide it. Team Europe was crushed last night and looked like they had just lost at Stanley Cup final so im' not sure how you tell them the games didn't mean anything.

Having said that, I do agree that the trounament lacked a certain "appeal". I actually thought for the most part the quality of the hockey was excellent, especially the NA squad, and personally i'm a huge fan of both Team Europe and Team NA. I thougth in terms of the quality of hockey, having those 2 teams really increased it, but it did take away from giving the trounamnet a appeal for the fans. Even last night, that crowd was basicaly out of the game unitl Canada scored and for Game 1 it wasn't even a sell out. 

Be interesting to see how the league did financially on this one and what changes they want to make in the future. I personally think the concept of this trounament should remain an "exhibition of hockey" and a true best on best hockey trounament and not a nation vs nation trournament but we will have to see what NHL thinks. I know their US TV numbers for this were pretty bad, althought having the US play so poorly was a big part of that IMO. 

1 hour ago, Kulstad said:

As much as I'm happy Canada won, Canada didn't deserve this win.  Team Europe outplayed them every step of the way for the entire game.

The score at the end of the game said otherwise...   While I agree that Team Europe outplayed Canada for the first 40 min, Canada started to come to life in the 3rd, and owned the last few minutes to come ahead with the win...   The penalties to Kopitar and Doughty were both marginal, so that was a wash...   Halak should get a lot of credit for his performance as well...   That said, I also think that Team Europe deserved to be in in the final, they just lost to the better team...

3 hours ago, Kulstad said:

As much as I'm happy Canada won, Canada didn't deserve this win.  Team Europe outplayed them every step of the way for the entire game.

The Canadians appeared unmotivated.  They looked like a modest group of players that did only what they had to too win.  When the game started to matter, they took control.  Not surprised by Toews doing the leg work on the game winning goal.  That’s what he does in big games.

That's not how it appeared to me.  TE brought their A+ game: adjusted the man-high position with speed, amazing man-to-man coverage, always seemed to catch the Canadian D flat-footed, and won the foot-race to the puck more times than not.

Had this been a physical game (ie: played more like an NHL game), TC would have won this game hands-down.  To me, I got the impression that TC just felt like they just had to show up and they'd win....TE played like a team with nothing left to lose.

48 minutes ago, Kulstad said:

That's not how it appeared to me.  TE brought their A+ game: adjusted the man-high position with speed, amazing man-to-man coverage, always seemed to catch the Canadian D flat-footed, and won the foot-race to the puck more times than not.

Had this been a physical game (ie: played more like an NHL game), TC would have won this game hands-down.  To me, I got the impression that TC just felt like they just had to show up and they'd win....TE played like a team with nothing left to lose.

I agree with this.......and we won.

15 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Thank god that is over now we can get back to real hockey

This tournament was boring, the games didn't mean anything. At least there won't be another one for 4 years.

So you're saying you didn't watch any games. :( Your loss.

For the players the games meant something. Olympic wins don't matter in NHL standings either but ask any athlete if wearing his/her country's logo & winning a medal means something. Not just hockey, any sport. :unsure:

3 hours ago, CheersMan said:

The Canadians appeared unmotivated.  They looked like a modest group of players that did only what they had to too win.  When the game started to matter, they took control.  Not surprised by Toews doing the leg work on the game winning goal.  That’s what he does in big games.

According to the CBC & many sports sites TC won on the back of Crosby. Toews & the rest had 0 to do with it. Forget that when Canada is behind Toews alters the flow for a win.

Team Crosby won. :lol:

6 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

According to the CBC & many sports sites TC won on the back of Crosby. Toews & the rest had 0 to do with it. Forget that when Canada is behind Toews alters the flow for a win.

Team Crosby won. :lol:

The media loves to over hype the superstars or supposed superstars like crosby and mcdavid.

Im not saying they are bad players, but the media loves to blow players up way more then they deserve, all the talk about team north america was about mcdavid, and while he did show off his speed I wasent overly impressed by his game.

Archived