World Cup 2016

cccsberg

Can't find a thread for the World Cup, so here it is. Watching the NA-Europe match so far. As expected NA speed is very apparent and impacting the game in many ways, which is a big advantage for them. Overall it's pretty scrambled as guys try to build chemistry. Fairly impressed with their defensive zone coverage, which will stead them well if they can keep it up.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other observations:

Sweden looked very strong this morning, as did Russia. Panarin very strong for Russia.

Gaudreau probably best for NA after 2 periods, but many playing well.

Kind of disappointed McDavid named Captain, but with Chiarelli, McLellan and the hype, what else was expected? Think a more experienced guy would have been better.

Good place for it ccc, rather than int'l. It's mainly NHLers.

I've been trying to avoid this as a Sting fan, but Galchenyuk should be on NA. I'm not trying to be bias, but he's more solid on his skates than 1/2 the roster at least, can play C or power wing, or has a crushing shot. Of all these guys, he had one of the best 2nd half's last yr.

He potted 30/56 points.

That's a big miss. He can play NHL aggressive and I just don't see any of that on the roster. Fast, yes. But Team Europe is the worst team in the tournament due to, "who's your finishers?".

The leader of this group, imho, is RNH.

Being a non-Oiler fan, I was a little choked that they traded Hall instead of RNH.

Ultimately, I believe Larkin will be the guy. But how do you miss the Larkin-Galchenyuk pairing in an adult tourney?

Europe is going to get roasted by everyone. No pure scorers, really.

McDavid's skating set him apart from almost everyone on the ce.

Johnny Hockey seemed like he could only stickhandle in a bus shelter. LOL

Actually, for one or two shifts he looked to be the better LW for McDavid.

MacKinnon was a force; you see the power forward in him.

Eichel and Johnny seemed a mismatch.  Saad seemed like a fit with Johnny.

Drouin was good early on, but just doesn't seem like the right fit for the top line.

Overall, it was an okay game to watch.  More like watching a non-playoff team play a contender.  Europe will match up better against the older teams.  All I can say is Hockey on TV.  Yeaaah.

Good place for it ccc, rather than int'l. It's mainly NHLers.

I've been trying to avoid this as a Sting fan, but Galchenyuk should be on NA. I'm not trying to be bias, but he's more solid on his skates than 1/2 the roster at least, can play C or power wing, or has a crushing shot. Of all these guys, he had one of the best 2nd half's last yr.

He potted 30/56 points.

That's a big miss. He can play NHL aggressive and I just don't see any of that on the roster. Fast, yes. But Team Europe is the worst team in the tournament due to, "who's your finishers?".

The leader of this group, imho, is RNH.

Being a non-Oiler fan, I was a little choked that they traded Hall instead of RNH.

Ultimately, I believe Larkin will be the guy. But how do you miss the Larkin-Galchenyuk pairing in an adult tourney?

Europe is going to get roasted by everyone. No pure scorers, really.

If Europe doesn't Putin a much better effort then I'll agree with you. They had several chances tonight but not too dangerous.

Don't disagree with Galchenyuk, but there are lots of guys you could argue over. You are right about the physicality though, if the hitting amps up NA will be hard pressed.

Not sure about RNH, but possibly in conjunction with Couterier...

If Europe doesn't Putin a much better effort then I'll agree with you. They had several chances tonight but not too dangerous.

Don't disagree with Galchenyuk, but there are lots of guys you could argue over. You are right about the physicality though, if the hitting amps up NA will be hard pressed.

Actually after watching some videos from yesterday, RNH was pretty mature and impressive, which I think is what's needed for their leadership. McClelland's reasons for why he picked Mcdavid as Captain were pretty laughable. Oh well, that's past. I kind of feel sorry for Mcdavid being forced into things prematurely due to the hype over his skill.... Well, not too much, Flames fan after all.

I am a big fan of the NA team. My pick is a team Canada v NA final. NA will have growing pains for sure but I think they have the speed and firepower to make up for it.

Based on the 2 games I watched yesteray I think this is going to be a very good tournmanet, and alot of people are going to be eating their words for how much criticism this tournament has generated. 

McDavid's skating set him apart from almost everyone on the ce.

Johnny Hockey seemed like he could only stickhandle in a bus shelter. LOL

Actually, for one or two shifts he looked to be the better LW for McDavid.

MacKinnon was a force; you see the power forward in him.

Eichel and Johnny seemed a mismatch.  Saad seemed like a fit with Johnny.

Drouin was good early on, but just doesn't seem like the right fit for the top line.

Overall, it was an okay game to watch.  More like watching a non-playoff team play a contender.  Europe will match up better against the older teams.  All I can say is Hockey on TV.  Yeaaah.

There were points in the game where McDavid made me think "one of these things is not like the others".  His speed really stands out.  Not just his skating, but the way he makes decisions while going flat out.

MacKinnon isn't particularly large (6.0' / 195lb) but he sure plays like a big man.  I like his game.

I agree with your assessment of Eichel and JH; there didn't seem to be much chemistry there. 

There were points in the game where McDavid made me think "one of these things is not like the others".  His speed really stands out.  Not just his skating, but the way he makes decisions while going flat out.

MacKinnon isn't particularly large (6.0' / 195lb) but he sure plays like a big man.  I like his game.

I agree with your assessment of Eichel and JH; there didn't seem to be much chemistry there. 

McDavid's speed is a blessing and a curse for him.  Saw a few examples of where he was near the puck and a defender or two, and the next second he was alone.  Explosive speed.  The curse to that is that he is flat out in tight quarters.  Perfect ice and sharpened skates, that is not an issue.  His injury was a direct result of the speed and ice conditions.  No, Don Cherry, he wasn't mugged by two scrubs.  He hit a rut at full speed while changing direction.  I think he is going to have to be a bit less reckless in games this season.

JT Miller was injured in the game last night for a bit, but honestly I didn't even see him touch the puck more than once.  I think Larkin sitting was a big mistake.  Coach Todd has a luxury of playing styles to work with.  You could throw (almost) any three forwards together and have someting.  MacKinnon seems to be the best pure sniper out there, but it's hard to tell from one game.  Scheifele is pretty slick too, perhaps a bit under-rated by the MSM, who seem bent on talking about Matthews.

McDavid's speed is a blessing and a curse for him.  Saw a few examples of where he was near the puck and a defender or two, and the next second he was alone.  Explosive speed.  The curse to that is that he is flat out in tight quarters.  Perfect ice and sharpened skates, that is not an issue.  His injury was a direct result of the speed and ice conditions.  No, Don Cherry, he wasn't mugged by two scrubs.  He hit a rut at full speed while changing direction.  I think he is going to have to be a bit less reckless in games this season.

JT Miller was injured in the game last night for a bit, but honestly I didn't even see him touch the puck more than once.  I think Larkin sitting was a big mistake.  Coach Todd has a luxury of playing styles to work with.  You could throw (almost) any three forwards together and have someting.  MacKinnon seems to be the best pure sniper out there, but it's hard to tell from one game.  Scheifele is pretty slick too, perhaps a bit under-rated by the MSM, who seem bent on talking about Matthews.

You'll get your fill of Matthews in the coming years.  The Toronto Sports Media Machine will see to that.  Just consider all the articles about middle-of-the-packer Nazem Kadri you've had forced down your throat over the years.

I think you might be whistling past the graveyard with regard to McDavid.  As much as I hate the Oilers, I have to say that this guy is the real deal.  He'll be top six in scoring this year and for many years to come.  (And yet, Matthews will get twice the exposure in the MSM)   

You'll get your fill of Matthews in the coming years.  The Toronto Sports Media Machine will see to that.  Just consider all the articles about middle-of-the-packer Nazem Kadri you've had forced down your throat over the years.

I think you might be whistling past the graveyard with regard to McDavid.  As much as I hate the Oilers, I have to say that this guy is the real deal.  He'll be top six in scoring this year and for many years to come.  (And yet, Matthews will get twice the exposure in the MSM)   

I was just stating fact about McDavid.  Hall had the same issue in his first few years.  McD's a better player, obviously, but you can only avoid the Brent Burns/Big Buff players for so long going to the net at full speed.

It should be an interesting year for the Oilers.  Trying to move away from a run-and-gun offense to a balanced, speedy attack with defensive responsibility.  Moving out Hall for Larsson helps, but he wasn't the only issue.  I am interested to see what a full year of McDavid looks like.  45 games is a good indicator of what you can do, but it doesn't show what you can do day in, day out.   

I have to break down and admit I like Scheifele alot. I draw on a ton of comparison to Mony when both were jr.

Very smart players you know are going to burn you, just a matter of when.

Scheifele seems to be even more under the radar, but he's some kind of good.

I'd put Galchenyuk in their era too, and he looks like he's about to take over the Canadiens. Gally can take a lot more battery than those 2. How many times I watched Maata and Ceci try to contain Gally, only to see Gally get fed up with the crosschecks and drop them with 1 to 6 received.

Incredibly strong on his skates with dynamic O skills.

So dangerous when you need a goal, high slot, low slot, banging in the crease, playmaking.

Wish we had him!

I thought I would be more into this tournament, but it isn't even registering. Between work, baseball playoff drives, NFL season starting, NHL 17 coming out, Destiny updates, I just have zero interest left for the World Cup, especially exhibition games.

Agree, but it is just the first exhibition games. Canada-USA like a heavyweight slug-fest. Not much speed but a lot of talent circling and looking for openings for a quick strike.

Good to see the US beat Canada in the first scrimmage.

OMG is Canada some kind of going to kick the elbowing out of everyone in this tourney as things heat up.

Nobody, but nobody, is bothering Byfuglien though, holy intimidation factor lol.

During the first game Canada predominately took the route of whining about the physicality versus really getting into it.  I expect that may change tonight when the game is in Ottawa and Corey Perry gets into the line-up.

It definitely got nasty.  If I were an NHL GM, I wouldn't have gotten much sleep last night.

Yeah, a few injuries already in the first exhibition games.  Looks like this may be a rough and tumble World Cup as there are several bitter rivalries which will all come to the fore in the Preliminary Round games.

Not sure how NA and Europe will work out yet, but nobody will be wanting to get smoked by the upstart "kids" team.

Good to see the US beat Canada in the first scrimmage.

OMG is Canada some kind of going to kick the elbowing out of everyone in this tourney as things heat up.

Nobody, but nobody, is bothering Byfuglien though, holy intimidation factor lol.

An early wake up call. Expect the same or worse tonight. Teams still see Canada as the team to beat so gear up for them.

Danged Kesler is doing his job. I was swearing @ him even more than normal. :)

People do tend to avoid Big Buff. I've seen fairly large players try to run him & just bounce off. I'm glad he's a Jet rather than a Pengie or Orca.

An early wake up call. Expect the same or worse tonight. Teams still see Canada as the team to beat so gear up for them.

Danged Kesler is doing his job. I was swearing @ him even more than normal. :)

People do tend to avoid Big Buff. I've seen fairly large players try to run him & just bounce off. I'm glad he's a Jet rather than a Pengie or Orca.

I thought I knew that, but now I have a whole other level understanding. lol

Also from what I understand from some of his P.G. friends from jr, is he is way happier in Winnipeg than Chi, Atl or anywhere else for that matter, as it fits his outdoorsman lifestyle and is close to where he grew up.

None of the guys I know thought he would carry through with an NHL career, as he's way more into fishing and hunting.

I kind of thought with the background info that Winny would be the exact fit for him.

I've never been here or there re the Jets, but man they really have some players I like a lot for various reasons.

Byfuglien being one, as he just does it his way and knows what he wants out of it.

Archived