World Cup 2016

cccsberg

I thought I knew that, but now I have a whole other level understanding. lol

Also from what I understand from some of his P.G. friends from jr, is he is way happier in Winnipeg than Chi, Atl or anywhere else for that matter, as it fits his outdoorsman lifestyle and is close to where he grew up.

None of the guys I know thought he would carry through with an NHL career, as he's way more into fishing and hunting.

I kind of thought with the background info that Winny would be the exact fit for him.

I've never been here or there re the Jets, but man they really have some players I like a lot for various reasons.

Byfuglien being one, as he just does it his way and knows what he wants out of it.

1 of the guys I grew up with is now a helicopter pilot & has flown Buff to a few out of the way fishing spots.

George was always a big guy but Buff in the pics makes him look small. :)

So Doughty got an end of the 1st penalty for a 1-on-1 puck battle?

Hopefully the Kesler target continues, just as a bonus along the way lol.

Loving that part! Kesler has a target on his back.

Tavares usually doesn't play that physical but it seems they don't like Kesler much. :lol:

Let's Go Canada! I Am Canadian!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see Canada had something for Kesler and Oshie.

I think Getzlaf has looked spectacular in the 2 viewings so far, I wonder how we can even think of leaving Perry scratched atm.

Do you put Duchene with them, or put Marchant with them and really annoy the crap out of everyone lol.

Really enjoyed Tavares' game last night, and can't wait for Stammer to start showing that wicked release he seems to be hiding.

I'll do the lines I'd roll, but it's so flipping interchangeable lol

Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos

Couture-Toews-Thornton

Marchand-Bergeron-Giroux

Duchene-Getzlaf-Perry

Seguin

I'm keeping teammates together. Love how Thornton-Couture just know each other's traits.

How any roster could contain our 1st line is beyond me. After that, each line is aggressive skill.

Team Europe made things interesting. I was a little disappointed with Johnny's skills for the first 2 periods, but he seemed to get warmed up and his 2nd goal was pretty darn good.

You saw the little plays that work on a Flames team, but these guys aren't used to the quick passes like Monahan or Hudler were.

He still makes a few higher risk plays, but usually backs them up.  I'm not sure whether them need some more time, but they look on the verge of breaking out.  Not convinced Eichel is the best fit on that line, but at least he provides some faceoff ability.  Perhaps they should just play a natural RW on the top line.  

Overall, I think that the offense was more than fine.  The defensive work was a bit scrambly - too many two foot passes or one-handed taps that resulted in more zone time.  I thought Ekblad and Ghost were the best D, while Jones had a few good and bad shifts. Paryanko had some really good plays.  

You saw the little plays that work on a Flames team, but these guys aren't used to the quick passes like Monahan or Hudler were.

He still makes a few higher risk plays, but usually backs them up.  I'm not sure whether them need some more time, but they look on the verge of breaking out.  Not convinced Eichel is the best fit on that line, but at least he provides some faceoff ability.  Perhaps they should just play a natural RW on the top line.  

Overall, I think that the offense was more than fine.  The defensive work was a bit scrambly - too many two foot passes or one-handed taps that resulted in more zone time.  I thought Ekblad and Ghost were the best D, while Jones had a few good and bad shifts. Paryanko had some really good plays.  

I'd agree with the familiarization process. I'm not sure about Eichel on the top line either.

The question is, would another team capitalize on the mistakes more than Europe did (and they still got back into the game after the 5-1 start).

I'd agree with the familiarization process. I'm not sure about Eichel on the top line either.

The question is, would another team capitalize on the mistakes more than Europe did (and they still got back into the game after the 5-1 start).

You couldn't give Team C that much rope and not get hung.  I don't think it was one of Gibson's better games though.  

After it got to 3-0 the NA team definitely pulled back from really skating and pressing.  Personally I believe it was to keep from totally embarrassing Team Europe, and was probably a good idea.  After TE got it back to close they turned it on again and potted a couple more to put it away.  I thought this showed a lot of sportsmanship and definitely made the game more interesting.

The commentators were really focused on the fact that other teams are going to be a lot more structured, especially Finland and Sweden in their Group, and more physical, especially Canada and especially the USA if they make it to the Semis and we have no idea how NA will respond.  It still is highly debatable whether they will make it to the Semis and how far they can go.  

I have strong doubts about NA getting out of their pool. Only two teams come out of each pool, and I have a hard time believing NA can beat two of Finland, Russia and Sweden.

They're fun to watch though.  There's certainly more creativity than you see in a typical NHL game.  There's also some junior-ish free-lancing.

I've only caught 3 games so far (the 2 Canada/USA 1s & yesterday's NA/Europe) but am enjoying them.

When the round robin starts the gloves come off for real. TC vs USA on the 20th should be a rip-snorter (I always wanted to use that word :lol: ) given what we saw in the 2 exhibitions.

I have strong doubts about NA getting out of their pool. Only two teams come out of each pool, and I have a hard time believing NA can beat two of Finland, Russia and Sweden.

They're fun to watch though.  There's certainly more creativity than you see in a typical NHL game.  There's also some junior-ish free-lancing.

I agree on both points. The kiddie corps are fun to watch but are unlikely to beat 2 of those 3.

I've only caught 3 games so far (the 2 Canada/USA 1s & yesterday's NA/Europe) but am enjoying them.

When the round robin starts the gloves come off for real. TC vs USA on the 20th should be a rip-snorter (I always wanted to use that word :lol: ) given what we saw in the 2 exhibitions.

I agree on both points. The kiddie corps are fun to watch but are unlikely to beat 2 of those 3.

I think NA has a chance against Sweden and possibly Russia.  Russia is mostly a scoring threat, so NA will have to outscore them, much like an Oiler game from last year.  Murray could be a difference maker in a game like that.  Sweden is a good team, but I think aging players like the All-Nucks line will have some trouble against the speedy transition game.  They have an absolute killer defense, though.

I can speak to Finland's team, only saw some of their play so far.   

I don't think NA can beat Sweden but I can see them beating Russia and Finland. REally the only knock people have against NA is experience and personally I think experience is very overrated. I'm not really that impressed but either Finland or Russia so I don't see why NA won't be very competitive, and could easily beat, both of those teams. Sweden I thikn will be too tough for them.

All of this is assuming they get the same Matt Murray in the tournament that the Pens got in the playoffs. He'll face rubber playing behind their D. 

I don't think NA can beat Sweden but I can see them beating Russia and Finland. REally the only knock people have against NA is experience and personally I think experience is very overrated. I'm not really that impressed but either Finland or Russia so I don't see why NA won't be very competitive, and could easily beat, both of those teams. Sweden I thikn will be too tough for them.

All of this is assuming they get the same Matt Murray in the tournament that the Pens got in the playoffs. He'll face rubber playing behind their D.

If ANY team tries to out skate and outgun these guys they are in for a big surprise. The best way to beat them is either to intimidate with physicality, which the US/Finland could easily do, or smother them defensively or with great goaltending, which would be Canada's/Sweden's focus. I think they have a chance against everyone, but it's going to be tough. They are likely to see way different opposition than Team Europe so it remains to be seen if they can adapt and impose their will versus having to adapt to others.

I side with Starkers and I think ff.

I believe experience is overrated as you say, but I don't have to overrate it much.

The leg strength alone will keep NA off balance. You don't last 5 yrs in this league without it. Most players on most teams have done exactly that.

Europe is like the island of misfit toys.

The skill and target agenda is about to come real clear, real fast methinks.

Just can't see them outwitting vets, at the end of the day.

Can talk about Russian D all we like.

But neglect the forwards match up just fine.

The more I see the tone of the tourney, the less I like NA's chances.

The way I see it, the biggest weakness in Team NA's strength is that they're all so good but they don't have the chemistry yet. I saw a lot of great plays that were mistimed, thus, failing. If they can start connecting on those plays and be able to play with each other, they will be terrifying. That's the question for me. If they can, I think they have a good chance of getting out of the group. If they can't and other teams are able to capitalize on the turn overs from the botched plays, they will have to depend on their goaltending to have a chance.

I'm also curious to see how they play Russia a day after they play Finland. Will the contest against the Fins leave them a bit battered for Russia. In the same vein, will Sweden be a bit banged up after facing their rival Fins. If it's anything like the 1st exhibition... it could leave an opening for Team NA to pick off SWE.

The way I see it, the biggest weakness in Team NA's strength is that they're all so good but they don't have the chemistry yet. I saw a lot of great plays that were mistimed, thus, failing. If they can start connecting on those plays and be able to play with each other, they will be terrifying.

Not seeing it.

Funny how Team NA keeps trying to find chemistry for McDavid.  He will be playing on a line with MacKinnon and Drouin.  Maybe the coach should be trying to figure out who plays best with Johnny Hockey.  The MSM seems to feel that the only chance Team NA has is for McDavid to be scoring regularly.  I think they need to figure out who wins draws and who can play the best 2-way hockey and kill penalties.  And they need to reward players with ice time for good play.

Funny how Team NA keeps trying to find chemistry for McDavid.  He will be playing on a line with MacKinnon and Drouin.  Maybe the coach should be trying to figure out who plays best with Johnny Hockey.  The MSM seems to feel that the only chance Team NA has is for McDavid to be scoring regularly.  I think they need to figure out who wins draws and who can play the best 2-way hockey and kill penalties.  And they need to reward players with ice time for good play.

That's no different than Crosby, for a comparison.

On a one up, JG isn't making Canada's team, perhaps ever.

Archived