Trade: Sieloff for Chiasson

JTech780

Calgary has traded Pat Seiloff to Ottawa for Alex Chiasson.

Solid pick up, Seiloff probably wasn't going to play for us anytime soon, so getting an NHL player is good value.

Chiasson had his best season under Gulutzan so maybe the coach can help Chiasson find his game again, because he has been trending down rather quickly.
Chiasson has also been signed to a one year deal.

[Mod Edit added link]

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators-trade-alex-chiasson-calgary-flames/

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calgary has traded Pat Seiloff to Ottawa for Alex Chiasson.

Solid pick up, Seiloff probably wasn't going to play for us anytime soon, so getting an NHL player is good value.

Chiasson had his best season under Gulutzan so maybe the coach can help Chiasson find his game again, because he has been trending down rather quickly.

Chiasson has also been signed to a one year deal.

Chiasson is a RW player that has seen some discussion. Like you say IF GG can rekindle his play to a good standard for us, this could go either way.

Chiasson is a RW player that has seen some discussion. Like you say IF GG can rekindle his play to a good standard for us, this could go either way.

Even if it doesn't work out the acquisition cost was very minimal, so I am quite pleased with the trade.

Even if it doesn't work out the acquisition cost was very minimal, so I am quite pleased with the trade.

We didn't really have any space in Stockton for Seiloff as it was.  He was in danger of not being qualified (due to contract limit). Solid deal for a player with the right attributes, even if the Sens fans hated his guts.

I don't mind the risk, espeiclaly considering I don't think Seiloff is going to play in the NHL so if they were going to pick up Chiasson i'm glad they swaped a contract out.

Chiasson has some upside but it worries me is a bit of a tweener. His numbers don't indicated he is a great defensive player, but if you use him in an offensive role there is some decent upside there. I do like the player and hopeflly the fit will work out, but i'm happy rolling the dice on a positon of weakness. I don't think there will be a fit here long term but worth the shot. 

I don't mind the risk, espeiclaly considering I don't think Seiloff is going to play in the NHL so if they were going to pick up Chiasson i'm glad they swaped a contract out.

Chiasson has some upside but it worries me is a bit of a tweener. His numbers don't indicated he is a great defensive player, but if you use him in an offensive role there is some decent upside there. I do like the player and hopeflly the fit will work out, but i'm happy rolling the dice on a positon of weakness. I don't think there will be a fit here long term but worth the shot. 

Compare him to Grant for value.  One player did well in the AHL and never scored in the NHL.  The other seems to be able to score somewhat in the NHL.  The two players were with $100k of each other.  Good low cost, low risk trade/signing..

Great trade.   A minor trade, but with the potential for a major role.

IMHO, Chiasson has the greater chance of being a core player on this team than Sieloff.

I believe we need defence, but we need Elite, top-line defence, preferably RHS.   I don't think Sieloff was ever going to fill that role.

RW, on the other hand, we are a bit more flexible in what we need.  

A big role player, or a core player, are both needed.    Chiasson should definitely be the first, with the potential to be the latter.

Great value, great move.

Only 3 seasons ago, Chiasson was the center piece in a trade for Jason Spezza.  Under Gulutzan, Chiasson looked like he was a budding 20-to-30-goal scorer with size and skill.  I don't know what happened in Ottawa but he was used more as a 3rd line checker and he fought from time to time.  I don't think he needs to fight.  He could play a power forward game and snipe in 20 to 25 goals in a scoring role in Calgary.  RHS RW with size.

Considering what Ottawa gave up to get Chiasson and then the Flames get him for Sieloff who's ceiling is nothing more than a bottom pairing hard hitting Dman with no offense, i think this trade is a steal.

even if the Sens fans hated his guts.

Cameron, even in his short stint, seemed to develop a certain type. Diddn't seem to udnerstand you need to put players in certain situations or they won't help you. They tried to make Chiasson into a botton 6 two way and it ddin't work. In Dallas, Gulutzan got him in favorable offensive situation and favorable zone starts and it worked. Ottawa took a different appraoch and it didn't, so makes sense why Ottawa fans didn't like him, Keep in mind too he was considered a key piece of the Spezza return so I think some of the ire he got from Sens fans related to that. 

That's the main downside with Chiasson, he doesn't seem to be very good defensivly so if Flames want to get the most of out of them they will have to udnerstand how to use them. Decent upsdie if they do, and obviusly acquiring him to play for a previous coach should help. 

And like I said, I don't think Seiloff is an NHLer so that alone makes this trade worth while. At least Chiasson you know has an NHL skill set. 

A big role player, or a core player, are both needed.    Chiasson should definitely be the first, with the potential to be the latter.

Great value, great move.

Great value, great move indeed.

That said, i don't think he's only a role player.  Instead of moving a LW like Colborne to the right side on that 2nd/3rd line, I think Chiasson is the perfect fit. I actually think we can comfortably let Colborne go via free agency now and not lose any sleep over it.

He's not the fastest player and not comfortable bringing the puck up the ice but if he's going to have Johnny or Bennett on his line, he doesn't need to carry the puck.  Just has to finish and get to the net... which he's good at.

Seeing as how Travel said you could throw anyone on the Monahan/Gaudreau line, go with Chiasson.

If he is big and has a bit of power forward in him, he could be a good fit.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Chiasson

this what I would try to start.

Agree with Peeps, he isn't a role player and in fact I think that was the problem in Ottawa. They tried to turn him into a role player and he isn't. He's like David Moss. He may be able to tap in 20 goals a year but outside of that he is basically replacement level. 

Seeing as how Travel said you could throw anyone on the Monahan/Gaudreau line, go with Chiasson.

If he is big and has a bit of power forward in him, he could be a good fit.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Chiasson

Not sure if Chiasson can keep up all season on the top line but what's great is Chiasson is a natural RW.  We don't have to throw a LW on that top line like Ferland or Colborne.  I think Chiasson on the 2nd line with Bennett is a good fit because Bennett loves to carry the puck and wants to play that cycle game around the net.  Chiasson gives Bennett size to work with.

I can't say I am a huge Chiasson fan. He isn't strong defensively and he doesn't have the offensive game to make up for it. Outside of size he doesn't offer anything we didn't get with someone like Jooris a year ago.

But I am fine with the trade. Sieloff was near the bottom of my prospect rankings and there is always the chance that Chiasson finds his offensive touch in Calgary. Low risk, low cost move.

As other's have already said, low cost, low risk signing. Especially for an 800K 1 year contract. He plays wwell we've fixed a RW hole, he doesn't, he gets sent down and eventually let go/trades. 

Having GG here should help since he knows about the guy and can help motivate him. 

Sounds like he's likely to be trialed on either Monahan or Bennett's line as RW. Fighting with Prybl and Poirier for those spots so far. So I'd say he probably has the edge of makig the roster. 

Sieloff was pretty much never going to play for the flames so its an upgrade for us or at absolute worst a neutral move. 

Eh, we didn't give up anything we'll miss for a player that might do better after the location change. Sometimes this new start trade of 2 players that didn't become what was hoped for (both were 2nd rounders) works.

Hopefully Chiasson works out but I'm not 1 penciling him in as RW with Gaudreau & Monahan. Let him prove some worth 1st.

We can hope he becomes that but for now he's a reclamation project.

Great value, great move indeed.

That said, i don't think he's only a role player.  Instead of moving a LW like Colborne to the right side on that 2nd/3rd line, I think Chiasson is the perfect fit. I actually think we can comfortably let Colborne go via free agency now and not lose any sleep over it.

He's not the fastest player and not comfortable bringing the puck up the ice but if he's going to have Johnny or Bennett on his line, he doesn't need to carry the puck.  Just has to finish and get to the net... which he's good at.

Totally agree.   We're starting to get the right pieces in the right places, rather than duct taping everything.

Eh, we didn't give up anything we'll miss for a player that might do better after the location change. Sometimes this new start trade of 2 players that didn't become what was hoped for (both were 2nd rounders) works.

Hopefully Chiasson works out but I'm not 1 penciling him in as RW with Gaudreau & Monahan. Let him prove some worth 1st.

We can hope he becomes that but for now he's a reclamation project.

I don't mean to pencil him in, but right now his competition for 1RW is....nonexistant. So I think its fair that based on current team availability he has a good chance at it.

Now whether or not he's good enough to STAY there is another matter. 

His nickname is "Toaster"...   After his sophomore year of high school, Chiasson left Quebec to study at Northwood School in Lake Placid, New York...  He did not speak English until he moved to the United States, knowing only the words "yes", "no", and "toaster", hence his nickname...    He has since become fluent...

We saved 0.094 because of this trade. Use it wisely BT.

Plus BT subtracted a weak link from a position of strength.

Plus BT made a position available for another D prospect.

Plus BT added an NHL quality RW'er to a position of weakness..............

All for and EL sized deal.

Gotta like it.

Archived