Trade: Sieloff for Chiasson

JTech780

Cameron, even in his short stint, seemed to develop a certain type. Diddn't seem to udnerstand you need to put players in certain situations or they won't help you. They tried to make Chiasson into a botton 6 two way and it ddin't work. In Dallas, Gulutzan got him in favorable offensive situation and favorable zone starts and it worked. Ottawa took a different appraoch and it didn't, so makes sense why Ottawa fans didn't like him, Keep in mind too he was considered a key piece of the Spezza return so I think some of the ire he got from Sens fans related to that. 

That's the main downside with Chiasson, he doesn't seem to be very good defensivly so if Flames want to get the most of out of them they will have to udnerstand how to use them. Decent upsdie if they do, and obviusly acquiring him to play for a previous coach should help. 

And like I said, I don't think Seiloff is an NHLer so that alone makes this trade worth while. At least Chiasson you know has an NHL skill set. 

I have to believe GG asked for Chiasson seeing our needs with RW. He could be a good fit with Bennett on RW and maybe we see Pribyl later in the year. With the announced non QO's and still ridding us of a few more contracts BT has his sights on someone for top line RW from UFA group.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to believe GG asked for Chiasson seeing our needs with RW. He could be a good fit with Bennett on RW and maybe we see Pribyl later in the year. With the announced non QO's and still ridding us of a few more contracts BT has his sights on someone for top line RW from UFA group.

Maybe.  Ottawa's GM spent time talking with BT on the draft floor, so you would have to think there was discussion.  Maybe about Ottawa having a guy available in Monday for a bargain price?

The Flames need guy like Chiasson that make under a million but might be able to play in your middle 6. I am not a huge fan of the player, but between him, Prybl, Shinkaruk, Ferland, etc hopefully you fill at least one spot.

It is infinitely better then overpaying for guys like Raymond, Colborne, Bouma, Stajan, Bollig, etc.

I either want my players to be great (Gaudreau, Monahan), serve a specific purpose like elite defensive play (Frolik, Backlund), be a kid fighting for a spot (Tkachuk), or be really cheap.

Treliving seems to have turned the page on overpaying for mediocre depth players. Thank god.

The Flames need guy like Chiasson that make under a million but might be able to play in your middle 6. I am not a huge fan of the player, but between him, Prybl, Shinkaruk, Ferland, etc hopefully you fill at least one spot.

It is infinitely better then overpaying for guys like Raymond, Colborne, Bouma, Stajan, Bollig, etc.

I either want my players to be great (Gaudreau, Monahan), serve a specific purpose like elite defensive play (Frolik, Backlund), be a kid fighting for a spot (Tkachuk), or be really cheap.

Treliving seems to have turned the page on overpaying for mediocre depth players. Thank god.

We are entering a different phase of building this team around a core now with at least some experience under their belts. when the players were brought in that many whine about they were needed and guess what, nobody was looking at Calgary as a great place to play like the are today. I think BT has had a good plan all along and has paid what was necessary to get us there. Dealing with excelerated growth by our youth has made some redundant faster than what was anticipated.

We are entering a different phase of building this team around a core now with at least some experience under their belts. when the players were brought in that many whine about they were needed and guess what, nobody was looking at Calgary as a great place to play like the are today. I think BT has had a good plan all along and has paid what was necessary to get us there. Dealing with excelerated growth by our youth has made some redundant faster than what was anticipated.

I understand that. But I think a big part of it was a rookie GM learning the ropes. There was zero reason to trade for Bollig because we had kids in the system that could cover the fourth line. There was zero reason to give Raymond a 3 year contract, he had to earn a 1 year on a PTO the year before. There was no reason to sign Bouma to a multi year deal, worst case they could have accepted arbitration and signed a 1 year.

But it's water under the bridge now. He is making smart move after smart move now and I am not all that worried about him continueing to overpay for depth.

I understand that. But I think a big part of it was a rookie GM learning the ropes. There was zero reason to trade for Bollig because we had kids in the system that could cover the fourth line. There was zero reason to give Raymond a 3 year contract, he had to earn a 1 year on a PTO the year before. There was no reason to sign Bouma to a multi year deal, worst case they could have accepted arbitration and signed a 1 year.

But it's water under the bridge now. He is making smart move after smart move now and I am not all that worried about him continueing to overpay for depth.

Let's go with that.

I have to believe GG asked for Chiasson seeing our needs with RW.

It happens quite often after a team gets a new coach.  Players follow them around. 

Obviously, Gulutzan was able to put Chiasson to good use in the past and believes he can resurrect his career.  Maybe there's a player or two out there who played under Gulutzan in either the Stars or Canucks organization that the Flames will sign come July 1st.  We might end up signing a Yannick Weber or Ronald Kenins type of thing.

I like this trade a lot. I mean, I enjoyed watching Seiloff destroy people with a hit but he was being passed by so many of our D prospects that he wasn't worth it (I mean, Kylington and Anderson are both ahead of him, as well as Nakladal, Kulak and Wotherspoon. Hell, Kanzig pretty much replaces him, with more size and better scoring than what Seiloff provided at a cheaper cost and is just as physical).

Chiasson has potential. If he never amounts to more than a bottom 6 role player, it's better than what we would get out of Seiloff, but with the right opportunity Chiasson could become a middle 6 (with a small chance of top 6) and second PP kind of guy. And I'm perfectly okay with that, especially since he is a natural RW, which we have a rather distinct lack of in our system. I won't pencil him in for top 6, but I think he still gets a shot next to both Bennett and Monahan throughout the season. Who knows, he could develop into exactly the guy we need with JG/Mony, or just a viable 3rd RW with Second (or even first) PP/Net Presence. The savings of less than 100k isn't huge, but he is a very cheap NHL asset we acquired for a player whose stay with the Flames was likely going to be ended soon anyways.

Sometimes it's the small trades that help the team more than the big trades. But both big and small, BT is nailing it right now.

Ottawa was pretty happy to get anything for Chiasson.  Sounds like he completely lost his confidence and they misused him.  He could still be useful to the Flames but I'm not counting on it.  My guess is that he'll end up as a bottom 6 guy with PK time.  I hope he turns into more than that but it's unlikely.

The fact that the Flames were able to move him for a player that was maybe 8-10th on the defense depth chart is good asset management.  That Treliving signed him to a 800k deal makes it better.

I always liked Sieloff and thought he may have been a decent middle/bottom pairing dman.  Hopefully his recovery continues and he can get his career back on track.

To me this trade is a win-win for both teams.

It happens quite often after a team gets a new coach.  Players follow them around. 

Obviously, Gulutzan was able to put Chiasson to good use in the past and believes he can resurrect his career.  Maybe there's a player or two out there who played under Gulutzan in either the Stars or Canucks organization that the Flames will sign come July 1st.  We might end up signing a Yannick Weber or Ronald Kenins type of thing.

You may laugh, but he is basically a replacement version of Colborne.  Scores about the same, except for Joe's 2015/16 unexpected bump.  Both are big players.  One makes $800k, the other now makes $2.5,.  

The reality is that we were using Colborne in a 3rd line role on his off-wing.  Chiasson is as risky as giving Joe a raise and hoping he can put up 20 goals this season.

You may laugh, but he is basically a replacement version of Colborne.  Scores about the same, except for Joe's 2015/16 unexpected bump.  Both are big players.  One makes $800k, the other now makes $2.5,.  

The reality is that we were using Colborne in a 3rd line role on his off-wing.  Chiasson is as risky as giving Joe a raise and hoping he can put up 20 goals this season.

Why was LW Colborne's off-wing, he shoots LH, if playing a wing it was where he should have been. The more one thinks about this Colborne was not going to be a fit at the assumed cost if the team is forced to hang onto Stajan, Wideman and Smid. The Flames sacrifice a year to take a chance on Chiasson at a very low cost with the player filling a natural RW position of need. Smart move.

Why was LW Colborne's off-wing, he shoots LH, if playing a wing it was where he should have been. The more one thinks about this Colborne was not going to be a fit at the assumed cost if the team is forced to hang onto Stajan, Wideman and Smid. The Flames sacrifice a year to take a chance on Chiasson at a very low cost with the player filling a natural RW position of need. Smart move.

Yea I feel like we avoided the Nystrom situation again. 

Colborne played a ton more on RW than LW.  He was used that way on the PP as well.  Replacing him with a RHS is good IMHO.

I am fine with moving on.  He would possibly get claimed if we had kept him anyway.  No way would they have protected him over Frolik, Ferland or anybody else we manage to get in a trade.

Colborne played a ton more on RW than LW.  He was used that way on the PP as well.  Replacing him with a RHS is good IMHO.

I am fine with moving on.  He would possibly get claimed if we had kept him anyway.  No way would they have protected him over Frolik, Ferland or anybody else we manage to get in a trade.

For lack of RWs he was used there but I digress. I agree we will soon have better answers for both our LW and RW and unless they could use Joe a C there was no place for him. You never know what the future holds, Colborne's new contract is for 2 years maybe we see him back here. The positive was there was progression in Joe's game and hopefully that continues for him.

For lack of RWs he was used there but I digress. I agree we will soon have better answers for both our LW and RW and unless they could use Joe a C there was no place for him. You never know what the future holds, Colborne's new contract is for 2 years maybe we see him back here. The positive was there was progression in Joe's game and hopefully that continues for him.

I don't begrudge the player improving his stats.  I would expect a regression on this team, had he signed.  I don't know if he really figured things out or just got a Backlund bump.

I don't begrudge the player improving his stats. I would expect a regression on this team, had he signed. I don't know if he really figured things out or just got a Backlund bump.

He produced with and without Backlund so thst isn't it. But I don't think he just figured things out. His shooting percentage was ridiculously high the final 24 games and NE nearly doubled his offensive production. That's coming down to earth, I can basically guarantee that.

The bottom line is that Joe Colborne was a negative on this team, for the most part, and not a true RW.

We need a true RW, and his -9, for the amount of minutes he played, stood out among the worst on the Flames.  But most of the others with this stat played significantly more minutes than him and at least had some kind of explanation.

I happen to believe his production is genuine.   I just don't care.   Wrong position.   Yes, he can still produce on RW.  No, he cannot play a complete game on RW.

The bottom line is that Joe Colborne was a negative on this team, for the most part, and not a true RW.

We need a true RW, and his -9, for the amount of minutes he played, stood out among the worst on the Flames.  But most of the others with this stat played significantly more minutes than him and at least had some kind of explanation.

I happen to believe his production is genuine.   I just don't care.   Wrong position.   Yes, he can still produce on RW.  No, he cannot play a complete game on RW.

I don't know that Colborne was a negative on this team at all, the bottom line was the didn't want to risk 3.5M our of arbitration for him. Eventually BT has to get these salaries into proper perspective so money is spent more effectively throughout the team.

• 2 months later...

In case anyone is missing Pat Sieloff he may be available soon. He rocked Clarke McCarthur with a pretty questionable hit in a scrimmage on the weekend and now McCarthur is out with a conucssion. Bobby Ryan, Chris Niel and others went after him several times throughout the scrimmage.

Was never a fan and even more happy he is gone now. 

Archived