2016 Free Agency

phoenix66

Qualifying offers are due by tomorrow, 27th, at 5 pm EST. I'm intrigued by that too because there has potential to be some intriguing names.

As far as free agency goes I'm not terrible interested in what is out there. I like teddy Purcell is you can get him for 1-2 years at around 3 mill or less. I also don't mind the idea of a veteran 4th line guy like Boyd Gordon, Chris Kelly or Vern Fiddler.

If they can get Al Montoya or Carter Hutton or a year or two at around a million or less than is something i would look at instead of Ortio.

Purcell and Stempniak may be the best value buys this summer.  Wouldn't overpay for either.  Wouldn't over-term for Stempniak either.  Hutton is intriguing, since he played a 1b role a couple of years ago and posted a 0.910 SA% in 40 games.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately my dream top line RW Backes in very unrealistic!

If we have money to add a top6 winger, I still prefer David Perron.  If Anaheim can't re-sign him I think he brings the best package of age, scoring and grit. If his demands aren't to high, we could sign him to a Frolik like deal. He'd be a nice stop-gap for 2-3 years on the top line and could then slip back to Bennett's line on either wing.

I would also be ok with Troy Brouwer, if the price and term is right.

If the team decides to go with a back up in Free Agency, Jonas Enroth would be my favorite. I think he is looking at a place, where he can play more then 16 games a season.

And I'd be looking at a cheap veteran 4th line center like Stoll, Gordon or Gaustad on a 1 year deal.

Purcell and Stempniak may be the best value buys this summer.  Wouldn't overpay for either.  Wouldn't over-term for Stempniak either.  Hutton is intriguing, since he played a 1b role a couple of years ago and posted a 0.910 SA% in 40 games.

So did Ramo..

Id say if we do seriously walk from Ortio ( i dont think they will ) you go after a Zatkoff.. cheap , plays well .. and a final turn of the Vice on Rutherford :)

Ray Emery is also intriguing .. he always seems to do great as backup .. falls apart when he gets to be the #1

Id also still offer Bryz a PTO.. at his age , he cant be looking for a starters job .. 15-25 games a year could be a great insurance policy 

It depends on the offers. If the best are all south of 6 He'd probably just ask the Jets to match.

Winnipeg happens to have 1 of the smaller payrolls in the league. I'd rather pay Ladd $6 million rather than pay the same for an Eberle or RNH as 2 instances.

I hope you don't mind but I corrected what was likely an auto*correct. :)

He is definitely more than those two just for the way he plays the game. THX for saving me on the "dough" spelling. LOL

Don`t know how accurate these guys are, but they are saying CGY interested in Ladd.  Seems too pie in the sky for me.

https://twitter.com/TheHockeyPress

One of the tweets said, "per Eklund." How much credence do you put into a site that quotes Eklund?

Anything we know about Treliving is, he is going to talk to everyone and anyone who knows someone. So he is probably talking to Ladd.

One of the tweets said, "per Eklund." How much credence do you put into a site that quotes Eklund?

Anything we know about Treliving is, he is going to talk to everyone and anyone who knows someone. So he is probably talking to Ladd.

They cycle any rumors they hear.  

HB had us interested in MAF and Bishop as well as the asking price.  It`s the speculation and made up content that makes them a joke.  They report the same stuff Bobby Mac does.

Add to them Mike Richards. Great 2 way (like an extra D out there on special teams) & still re-establishing himself meaning we can get him short term & on the cheap). Versatile enough to play any forward position.

With Elliot as our supposed #1 either Hutton or Montoya would be a godsend as backup.

Add to them Mike Richards. Great 2 way (like an extra D out there on special teams) & still re-establishing himself meaning we can get him short term & on the cheap). Versatile enough to play any forward position.

With Elliot as our supposed #1 either Hutton or Montoya would be a godsend as backup.

The scoring seems to have dried up, but he plays a good defensive game.

There are probably some guys out there like Stempy that will be scrambling for jobs.  Find the best fit for our needs.

I'll pass on Richards. Have a soft spot for the guy but watching him in Washington he looked slow. I want the flames to play fast on all 4 lines.

Perron is another good name too and I like him as a fit on the RW. In hoping they can get a vet on a 1 or 2 year deal to give them some depth there km the top 6 with frolik.

The Flames need to add a top 6 winger. Preferably a RW. The savings in net make thst a possibility if we can clear a contract or two in trade or buyout.

Personally I don't see Treliving making a sexy pickup like Lucic, Eriksson, Ladd, Okposo, etc. I think you see something like Purcell, Stewart, Stempniak, Hudler, Perron, etc. Something on a low priced lower term contract.

That said, the Flames love Lucic so maybe they make a move there.

Don`t know how accurate these guys are, but they are saying CGY interested in Ladd.  Seems too pie in the sky for me.

https://twitter.com/TheHockeyPress

Ill save you a weeks worth of reading...

We're in on everybody

Every player wants to play for Toronto

Stamkos is leaning towards signing with.....everybody

Whoever we do sign will be the player (s) least suspected

:)

But its still fun to play the speculation game so we'll do it anyway:)

I don't think Hudler is going back to Florida. He really was not a good fit there and was basicaly invisible in the playoffs. 

Something to keep in mind for anyone shooting for the big FA like Okposo, Eriksson and even Lucic is the Flames have not confirmed publically that their policy is to not give out NMCs under any circumstances. At some of the season ticket holder meetings Treliving even confirmed they have lot out on at least 1 FA becuase they refused to give out a NMC. Limited NTCs they will do but they wil not give a full NMC.

May or may not cost them one of those guys, but traditionally it seems the top FAs on the market are after NMCs. 

I was looking in the Free Agents section thx no worries. he was having quite the season with MON if I recall which is what made me think of him for our RW. He is 27 years old and plays a fast paced game and can obviously score.

I still prefer Generalfanager.  They also have a protection tool that shows what each team has protected due to NMC's and what players are exempt.  

He had a hatty against us.  But that was a really bad game.  He has numbers in the same range of Bouma's and Jooris' career year, so you have to consider a salary and expectation of no more than that.  Certainly not $2.2m.

so we only have 3 hrs until QO's have to be in ..   aside from the obvious ones, (Johnny, Monahan, Wotherspoon, Colborne) 

if you had to predict a Surprise yes and a Surprise No. who would it be ?

I'll say Joni Ortio will NOT be qualified and Derek Grant WILL be qualified

I have only seen Tampa's offers so far. Blujus goes UFA. Definitely worth a tryout for someone, 3rd pairing upside RH with good size, projected as a first rounder if I remember correctly. Not sure how he's looked recently. Probably for a team with less young depth in AHL than us though...

Archived