2016 Free Agency

phoenix66

Annoying fanboy.  It's good to see some of these players with demons try to overcome them.  I'm not a big Gooch fan, but kodos for trying to straighten out.

Maybe he was hopeful. Was he 16 or 76?

Who knows.

He acknowledged his mistake and continued to post, and likely will again when the season starts.

This is my 2nd most hated trait, leaping at superiority.

My first is jumping all over someone whose English is not their language of choice...in case you were wondering.

I believe I was the first to lay into the kid for the gooch love.

I'm good with him.

I believe the board age is 14. So the adults have some responsibility to be responsible adults and be wary not to crush a fellow fan.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he was hopeful. Was he 16 or 76?

Who knows.

He acknowledged his mistake and continued to post, and likely will again when the season starts.

This is my 2nd most hated trait, leaping at superiority.

My first is jumping all over someone whose English is not their language of choice...in case you were wondering.

I believe I was the first to lay into the kid for the gooch love.

I'm good with him.

I believe the board age is 14. So the adults have some responsibility to be responsible adults and be wary not to crush a fellow fan.

Maybe he was.  He passed himself off as a longtime fan from the Sharks days.  What I found annoying was his diatribes in chat.  That and that he was not a Flames fan, just a Gooch fan.  For that, he took some abuse early on.  

I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi, but I try to let most of it go.  My pet peeves are there, their, they're, than, then and a few others. :)

So we give Higgins a PTO but let Versteeg go to the Oilers what is going on with this team? Why give a player that couldn't make with Van and has had his chance with Calgary allow a quality player like Vesteeg go to our nemesis up north whats wrong with that Picture some one please give me a solid reason for this type of reasoning?

So we give Higgins a PTO but let Versteeg go to the Oilers what is going on with this team? Why give a player that couldn't make with Van and has had his chance with Calgary allow a quality player like Vesteeg go to our nemesis up north whats wrong with that Picture some one please give me a solid reason for this type of reasoning?

I couldn't agree more.

I am all for second chances, but why give a plug like Higgins a shot? There are plenty of other free agents on the market who haven't snubbed the Flames in the past.

To me, this sets a bad precedent for the organization.  It shows that the team lacks a little self respect.  If a star player walks out I get wanting him back.  When a fourth liner walks out there is no need to give him a lifeline at the end of his career. 

Timing. End of discussion.

What do you mean timing they were both looking for a contract were they not? Both been looking all summer no?

Not true.  Higgins was in North America, while Versteeg signed in the Swiss league.  Versteeg only came back to NA after he couldn't pass the team physical.  Last week.  At that point, we had already signed Higgins to a PTO.  His failing of a physical fits the Oiler team culture.  He is only there because their newest draft pick may not be ready to play in the NHL this season.

Neither Versteeg nor Higgins is going to make this team so it's a non-issue.  Especially Higgins vying for a LW role.  Can't be serious after we buyout Raymond that we would want to try to add a similar player back.  That given the needless to say depth on LW from the youth: Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Shinkaruk, and even Klimchuk.  Complete head scratcher. 

Neither Versteeg nor Higgins is going to make this team so it's a non-issue.  Especially Higgins vying for a LW role.  Can't be serious after we buyout Raymond that we would want to try to add a similar player back.  That given the needless to say depth on LW from the youth: Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Shinkaruk, and even Klimchuk.  Complete head scratcher. 

We may be a little low on vets when the pre-season games start, especially the split-squad games.  Unless Higgins is pretty good, he isn't going to beat out guys like Shinkaruk or Tkachuk for compete level.  Janko probably has a better chance due to versatility.  Even Mangiapane is going to be better.  Low risk of getting a spot, so he is simply filling a body count.

I keep hearing lets trade Backs I don't get it he is a very good 200 ft player and is a player we count on to stop 1st and 2nd line forwards and does it pretty well. Why would we want to trade a player that can put a stop to top lines scoring and popping in a few as well. Why would we move JH from the Mono line when they have done nothing but produce points together. I am actually hoping to Bennett and Chucky play together for the start of the season I think there type of play will compliment each other.

As for as D goes I would much rather see Nak on this team than Russel Nak and Yoki I also think compliment each other. We are stuck with wides so might as well try and get him and Hamilton on the same page. We are also stuck with England and smid till season ends Russel is so good that even upchuck in the north won't sign him unless they are a team that is trying to clear money for him? We have a lot of up and coming D I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a D from 2015 draft take a spot plus we have Tspoon. We are set or stuck how ever you want to look at it Wides is a none touchable not because we won't trade him but because no one will touch him the Refs will have it out for him and he is going to get the box every chance thay get. He will be a detriment to any team he plays for from here on in JMO.    

I keep hearing lets trade Backs I don't get it he is a very good 200 ft player and is a player we count on to stop 1st and 2nd line forwards and does it pretty well. Why would we want to trade a player that can put a stop to top lines scoring and popping in a few as well. Why would we move JH from the Mono line when they have done nothing but produce points together. I am actually hoping to Bennett and Chucky play together for the start of the season I think there type of play will compliment each other.

As for as D goes I would much rather see Nak on this team than Russel Nak and Yoki I also think compliment each other. We are stuck with wides so might as well try and get him and Hamilton on the same page. We are also stuck with England and smid till season ends Russel is so good that even upchuck in the north won't sign him unless they are a team that is trying to clear money for him? We have a lot of up and coming D I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a D from 2015 draft take a spot plus we have Tspoon. We are set or stuck how ever you want to look at it Wides is a none touchable not because we won't trade him but because no one will touch him the Refs will have it out for him and he is going to get the box every chance thay get. He will be a detriment to any team he plays for from here on in JMO.    

1. Backs - I agree. It would have to be a very lopsided trade for flames or simply can't pass up the offer for me to trade away Backs. He is simply our best Frank J. Selke Trophy Candidate.
  2. D - I am not sure if the rumour about Russel waiting for an offer from Flames, or that offer waits for Flames to finalize the JH contract. I don't see Russel playing up north but I kind of wish he would. We know his weaknesses.. (ote * all of them)
  3. Wideman - If the refs are going to be out to get him then the NHL has a huge problem with our refs. They are supposed to be above these types of actions of showing favouritism or disfavour to players or teams.

I don't think Backlund is going anywhere until both Bennett and Jankowski are further along.

I hope they don't bring Russell back, it is time to advance Jokipakka and Wotherspoon with more NHL ice time.

Well DD I could and very possibly be very wrong but they are human and I'm sure they would like to leave a message to any player after him to think twice about touching them. I am very sure it will not be evident in there actions but I wouldn't be a bit surprised that Wides get a few more Penalties that possibly would not been called before.  

• 2 months later...

Not sure what's happened to Joe Colborne, but he is making his detractors look like geniuses right now.  After 20 games he has 3 goals (hat trick) and 1 assist.  Predictably his shooting % has regressed to career normals, but what is surprising is his lack of assist production and horrific faceoff percentage (41.7%).   He's on pace for the worst year of his career.  

30 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Not sure what's happened to Joe Colborne, but he is making his detractors look like geniuses right now.  After 20 games he has 3 goals (hat trick) and 1 assist.  Predictably his shooting % has regressed to career normals, but what is surprising is his lack of assist production and horrific faceoff percentage (41.7%).   He's on pace for the worst year of his career.  

3 goals in his first game and zero in the next 19.....

I thought he'd regress for sure but even I thought he'd still be decent. New coach, new system so that could be playing a part, Colorado really isn't playing all that well but sure am gald that Treliving passed and saw the underlying numbers. 

1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

Don't worry. As soon as the Avs are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, he's going to go on a 16-points in 12-games tear. I've already made notes to pick him up in my hockey pool in March... 

Archived