2016 Free Agency

phoenix66

Didnt see a specific thread so felt it needed it.

Making a few assumptions as follows, I see the flames with about 5M in cap space;

14M Sean and Johnny

800k Ortio

800K Wotherspoon

3 M Colbourne

1.2 Jooris

1M Nakladl

Some of those may be high but anything less is gravy

I still believe we will move Wideman, but it wont be until after teams have missed out on players like Shattenkirk and Fowler, also to a degree Stamkos

As far as coming out of the gate on July 1, who could we be after? Much like Frolik last year

I can see us targeting Andrew Ladd. 30, made 2.9 last year.Hes a winner and a leader and still very productive. Excellent player to put with Bennett.

I think we could get him on a 4 to 5 year deal between 4-5, with the term I think the cost is affordable.most will likely offer more money but less term. He also obviously has a history in Calgary.

Not overly concerned about maxing out our cap since im still sure money is going to get moved

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didnt see a specific thread so felt it needed it.

Making a few assumptions as follows, I see the flames with about 5M in cap space;

14M Sean and Johnny

800k Ortio

800K Wotherspoon

3 M Colbourne

1.2 Jooris

1M Nakladl

Some of those may be high but anything less is gravy

I still believe we will move Wideman, but it wont be until after teams have missed out on players like Shattenkirk and Fowler, also to a degree Stamkos

As far as coming out of the gate on July 1, who could we be after? Much like Frolik last year

I can see us targeting Andrew Ladd. 30, made 2.9 last year.Hes a winner and a leader and still very productive. Excellent player to put with Bennett.

I think we could get him on a 4 to 5 year deal between 4-5, with the term I think the cost is affordable.most will likely offer more money but less term. He also obviously has a history in Calgary.

Not overly concerned about maxing out our cap since im still sure money is going to get moved

A winger is a winger for sure, but we keep hitting LHS LW players.  It's not as big a need as RW.  If you address anything in FA, it's an area of need.  Perhaps FF can elaborate on Ladd's ability to play on RW.  

Right now, the cap is more dire than not.  You can factor in movable contracts, but really can't spend above the cap unless you can buy out contracts.  You have to do that before July 1st.  Getting caught with too much salary and no trading partners will leave you screwed.

I like Ladd as a player, but I think he will get too much in FA, if CHI doesn;t re-sign him.  They paid a 1st and Dano for him.

Also have to point out that his actual salary was $4,5m, as WPG retained salary.

A winger is a winger for sure, but we keep hitting LHS LW players.  It's not as big a need as RW.  If you address anything in FA, it's an area of need.  Perhaps FF can elaborate on Ladd's ability to play on RW.  

Right now, the cap is more dire than not.  You can factor in movable contracts, but really can't spend above the cap unless you can buy out contracts.  You have to do that before July 1st.  Getting caught with too much salary and no trading partners will leave you screwed.

I like Ladd as a player, but I think he will get too much in FA, if CHI doesn;t re-sign him.  They paid a 1st and Dano for him.

Also have to point out that his actual salary was $4,5m, as WPG retained salary.

Thanks for the correction on the salary, that makes a big difference.

It was actually Bennetts LW I was looking at, but ya if he was already 4.5 then hes likely looking to get 6, unless somehow term can come into play. Changes the whole picture good chance no big name could be in our cards.

With the new coach, i no longer see Stajan and Raymond as buyout candidates so the biggest question mark now is Wideman.

Not a whole lot jumps out on UFA RW except maybe Brouwer, or I could see them looking at Chris Stewart to some degree

Thanks for the correction on the salary, that makes a big difference.

It was actually Bennetts LW I was looking at, but ya if he was already 4.5 then hes likely looking to get 6, unless somehow term can come into play. Changes the whole picture good chance no big name could be in our cards.

With the new coach, i no longer see Stajan and Raymond as buyout candidates so the biggest question mark now is Wideman.

Not a whole lot jumps out on UFA RW except maybe Brouwer, or I could see them looking at Chris Stewart to some degree

With the pressy on his hiring GG was specific in that he said the Flames have 4 D in top 10 scoring D.(I think he was referring to the previous year. He also said something about how many teams can fans actually name their top 4 or something like that. This indicates to me he likes Wideman and if he has a say that Wideman won't be going anywhere.

DMen who can move the puck and score points are at a all time premium  right now and all teams seem to want them, so Widemans fate could be different than what I perceive it to be.

Just my take on Wideman.

With the pressy on his hiring GG was specific in that he said the Flames have 4 D in top 10 scoring D.(I think he was referring to the previous year. He also said something about how many teams can fans actually name their top 4 or something like that. This indicates to me he likes Wideman and if he has a say that Wideman won't be going anywhere.

DMen who can move the puck and score points are at a all time premium  right now and all teams seem to want them, so Widemans fate could be different than what I perceive it to be.

Just my take on Wideman.

That thought did cross my mind, hence the question mark.. there is definitely a very real possibility what we have is our roster come opening day. Any moves could be internal.

New coach / new system / clean slate

Just my take on Wideman.

That is an interesting, persuasive interpretation of his thoughts. I never thought about it like that and I listened to that press conference. Perhaps GG is planning on making Wideman a project. I will look for more indications that this may be his intention. Thanks for the solid post deeds.

I myself am hoping we have a few kids that surpass some of our A's men or perhaps some of the A's men pushing for a spot in the NHL. With all the boys to men we have now there should be a couple that have become NHL worthy like Kulak or Arnold perhaps Jank. Problem with that is we need to grab something now due to the Free agent market starts now not in Nov so that is a conundrum. What you know I spelt that right first shot will wonders ever cease sad thing is I had to find out how to spell cease LOL.

That is an interesting, persuasive interpretation of his thoughts. I never thought about it like that and I listened to that press conference. Perhaps GG is planning on making Wideman a project. I will look for more indications that this may be his intention. Thanks for the solid post deeds.

At the end of the day im not sure it changes his Availability , but due to Elliots Cap hit , it eliminates the pressing need for him to be gone ASAP. Im about 110% sure hes not with us for the 2017-2018 season. I think he just may have become a TDL deal now

Where GG comes in , is he did state hes excited to have this D core to work with , and knowing that he sees more of a possession , fast transition style of defense this definitely is more in the wheelhouse of Wideman's skillset . We've seen what he can do , i think much of last seasons woe's . aside from goaltending and even that to a degree had to do with teams knowing how to play against us.

Same goes for Raymond.. he was about as effective in BH's system as Sven..but Sven is doing quite ok out in Van now, and from what I have read, GG was a major reason for that 

Just my take on Wideman.

If they keep him, he would likely be a TDL trade.  It would also necessitate a buyout somewhere else.  Raymond at a minimum. I'm not sure of Smid's status, but it appears that he won't be bought out.  He may opt to retire, but that will be closer to the season start.

Instead of moving Wideman, they could opt to trade Engelland.  His salary/term is no longer excessive, so he could get some takers.

The thing I find odd is the Flames being linked to players like Lucic and Stamkos (not recently).  The only way that happens is a major move of salary.  Wideman, Smid, and Raymond at least.

If we dip into FA without trades and buyouts, I hope they only look at a player like Stempniak for $1m.  It's a very reasonable risk to take on, since he could slide up and down, depending on prospects or roster players.

And then he woke up. LOL

The only thing holding up Wideman being moved is a dance partner, we have enough offense from the back end without him. Stajan is an unaffordable luxury that is holding back the introduction of better players to the roster, same for Raymond and Bollig.

BT should be trying to move these players anyway he can and with an eye for a good RW, if nothing is there take what you can get.

And then he woke up. LOL

The only thing holding up Wideman being moved is a dance partner, we have enough offense from the back end without him. Stajan is an unaffordable luxury that is holding back the introduction of better players to the roster, same for Raymond and Bollig.

BT should be trying to move these players anyway he can and with an eye for a good RW, if nothing is there take what you can get.

I dont think anybody is saying they are untradeable now, or that he will stop shopping them .. he will , he has to, he better .  Just that now hes back in the drivers seat as far as needing to move them . Only one i can see who may have had a stay of execution is Stajan , just because GG spoke of him by name. BUT , if he can be replaced with a similar vet/ leader type who's worth his current salary then BT I'm sure will jump on it .. hence why I was targeting Andrew Ladd.

Last week i thought we had 3-4 buyout candidates..now i dont think we have any 

And then he woke up. LOL

Wideman would be fine for the remaining year, if we didn't have two other RHS on the team.  BT is said to be signing Nak-daddy. So, as 3rd pairing options, we have Engelland, Wideman, Nakladal and Spoon.  That's is also assuming that Andersson and Kylington don't make the team out of camp.  A little crowded.

The trades have been coming slower than expected.  The mild cap increase is one part, but player demands eating up the cap are others.  Not to mention the NMC of Wideman and the NTC of Matty.

Whether the coach thinks players have a future or not, that is not important.  He is not the one paying the bills.  GG is going to spin the players up front so that there is no issue if they are still on the team come October.

If they keep him, he would likely be a TDL trade.  It would also necessitate a buyout somewhere else.  Raymond at a minimum. I'm not sure of Smid's status, but it appears that he won't be bought out.  He may opt to retire, but that will be closer to the season start.

Instead of moving Wideman, they could opt to trade Engelland.  His salary/term is no longer excessive, so he could get some takers.

The thing I find odd is the Flames being linked to players like Lucic and Stamkos (not recently).  The only way that happens is a major move of salary.  Wideman, Smid, and Raymond at least.

If we dip into FA without trades and buyouts, I hope they only look at a player like Stempniak for $1m.  It's a very reasonable risk to take on, since he could slide up and down, depending on prospects or roster players.

Agreed on Wideman .. likely TDL

Engelland has a history with GG, so i don't see him moving , in fact i see his role increasing .

Stempniak No .. teams keep moving on and we traded him for a reason .. he has one initial spurt of production and then he disappears

I see Raymond not being bought out for one major reason .. BT signed him.. no GM wants to go to his ownership to ask for $ to buy out a bad contract he himself gave out .I believe he will be given a solid shot at succeeding in GG's offense, and if not buried for the final year and not brought back..maybe flipped at TDL for a 7th

I do believe in GGs offense, he can be just as productive as Stempniak would. if not better ..BH needed his RW to force and bang into the zone, which is NOT Mason's game whatsoever .. but when you carry it in using speed and passing , that will be a better fit

I dont think anybody is saying they are untradeable now, or that he will stop shopping them .. he will , he has to, he better .  Just that now hes back in the drivers seat as far as needing to move them . Only one i can see who may have had a stay of execution is Stajan , just because GG spoke of him by name. BUT , if he can be replaced with a similar vet/ leader type who's worth his current salary then BT I'm sure will jump on it .. hence why I was targeting Andrew Ladd.

Last week i thought we had 3-4 buyout candidates..now i dont think we have any 

Ladd is seeking 6M and plays the wrong side as a forward for us, pass. If we could get Brouwer for 4.5M and 3 years we should do it. This is about the only real UFA I see as a target unless we go for Stamkos on RW. Yeah right. LOL

Ladd is seeking 6M and plays the wrong side as a forward for us, pass. If we could get Brouwer for 4.5M and 3 years we should do it. This is about the only real UFA I see as a target unless we go for Stamkos on RW. Yeah right. LOL

i agree the 6 is steep, and likely makes him unattainable.. but as for position , i was actually slotting him on the left with Bennett

Im not sure what Brouwer is looking for , but he just made 4.5 ab d i recall something about the Gm telling him to show his value in playoffs and they'd discuss his next contract .. not sure if 4.5 gets it done , but id definitely take it if it does

i agree the 6 is steep, and likely makes him unattainable.. but as for position , i was actually slotting him on the left with Bennett

Im not sure what Brouwer is looking for , but he just made 4.5 ab d i recall something about the Gm telling him to show his value in playoffs and they'd discuss his next contract .. not sure if 4.5 gets it done , but id definitely take it if it does

We all have to remember this is a rebuilding team not one trying to hit the SC homerun next season. I would like to see what Ferland can accomplish with Bennett this season before Tkachuk enters the following season. I would like to see some experienced placed with Gaudreau and Monahan on RW, they deserve the support. Brouwer made 3.7M last year I believe.

We all have to remember this is a rebuilding team not one trying to hit the SC homerun next season. I would like to see what Ferland can accomplish with Bennett this season before Tkachuk enters the following season. I would like to see some experienced placed with Gaudreau and Monahan on RW, they deserve the support. Brouwer made 3.7M last year I believe.

Thats one issue tho , the Talent available for RW  UFA is pretty slim this year . 

If we dont fill it internally the other best fit could be a Kris Versteeg.. also 30, but still pretty productive, tends to play well under pressure.. could be a good fit, but hes another one that just made 4.4, probably looking for a raise to at least 5.5

If we're keeping it low then Stewart may still be a target .. 

Perhaps FF can elaborate on Ladd's ability to play on RW.  

I've only seen Ladd play LW.

If he settles for $6 million it will likely be with the Hawks or Jets.

The Jets reportedly offered 6 x 6 so he'll see if that's still on the table (I think it is).

The Jets reportedly offered 6 x 6 so he'll see if that's still on the table (I think it is).

That is a lot for Ladd and how could WPG keep forking out the kind of doe they are to their player. Is Buck really worth 8M, I don't think so.

Oh well not our problem.

That is a lot for Ladd and how could WPG keep forking out the kind of dough they are to their player. Is Buck really worth 8M, I don't think so.

Oh well not our problem.

It depends on the offers. If the best are all south of 6 He'd probably just ask the Jets to match.

Winnipeg happens to have 1 of the smaller payrolls in the league. I'd rather pay Ladd $6 million rather than pay the same for an Eberle or RNH as 2 instances.

I hope you don't mind but I corrected what was likely an auto*correct. :)

I may be wrong but I seem to recall he said he'd take a discount and keep his current salary to re- sign in Chicago . Which in itself isn't likely to happen either 

How about signing Hudler again to play wing with Mony/Johnny?

He had one good year with the pair and one okay year.

Compare Hudler and Stempniak's most recent year for age, salary and stats.  Pretty close except for salary.  If the Flames want to get a former player back like that, they should choose Stempy.  I think Hudler is going to re-up with FLA.  Just an opinion.

In a weekend interview BT stated he has decided on his UFA/RFA/Buy-out candidates but they are not releasing that info yet.  It seems pretty clear they are hoping to make some trades this week from this list of guys before releasing them for nothing.  As I understand it the RFA qualifications have to be done by the 30th, and the Buy-outs by the 31st so we should be seeing where the team wants to go within three to four days.  I expect there will be some reasonable players on that list.

Qualifying offers are due by tomorrow, 27th, at 5 pm EST. I'm intrigued by that too because there has potential to be some intriguing names.

As far as free agency goes I'm not terrible interested in what is out there. I like teddy Purcell is you can get him for 1-2 years at around 3 mill or less. I also don't mind the idea of a veteran 4th line guy like Boyd Gordon, Chris Kelly or Vern Fiddler.

If they can get Al Montoya or Carter Hutton or a year or two at around a million or less than is something i would look at instead of Ortio.

Archived