Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Likely Bart gets the start if Brodie isn't able to go.

I'm not quoting that from a source, but I might as well be.  You know it's coming.

Can't use those precious callups on a D-man that deserves to be in the NHL.  Wouldn't play him anyway.

I almost puked when I heard Cassie talk about playing Glass over Hathway because he's a heavyweight.

It's like her brain is tuned into GG's.  

Next season.  Always next season.  Can the bunch and start over.  Don;t need Sigalet there to tell Smith how to play.  Don;t think he helped Rittich any.  

Putrid PP design.  If it's not working, why is the exact same tactics and plays used.  The PK has been okay.  Really bad at times.  But we need to have Brouwer and Stajan because they are the vets.  Anyway, just fuming a bit.  There's no way that the coaching staff gets off the hook for this season.   You could fire them all today and it wouldn't make the team any worse.       

Another thing that has me wondering ,   

If GG doesn't survive the Axe, (and i seriously don't see how he does ), and that "big name " doesnt happen ,   another name that is going to come up based on this teams connections and past history ..   What do we think of Dave Tippett?

Im not sure myself, he didn't have a whole lot of success there , but he was usually working with not a lot as well.. seemed to always get the best results out of what he had to work with .

If (when ) GG gets canned, he will likely be a frontrunner . based on his history with this management team .

Ras Andersson has been called up, so I would guess Brodie is out with a concussion or upper body ailment.

The hit was the cause.  Pretty easy to guess.

Now, the question that comes is when Ras gets the start, if at all.

Not a long flight to Phoenix, but he may not be there for game day skate, so no practice.

Well it's a new day and a new outlook. Really wish I could take my own advice and not post in angry frustration after a loss.

Nice to see Andersson get a call up, hopefully he slots in tonight.

BT really has his work cut out for him this offseason, should be interesting to watch.

If we could find a way to get some forward prospects I'd be happy. Camp will be interesting next year to see where guys are at.

I'm a big believer in prospects having really good summers and strengthening their potential. Including Bennett and Jankowski.

If ever there was a time we need some forward prospects to really go for it, they have to know there are spots available.

Just please BT, no more PTO's for plugs, give those to undrafted CHLers.

For the rest of the season, I hope we can play reckless abandon, because there is nothing to lose now but the system.

Let the kids have fun, pond hockey, whatever.

It's been a stressful season on us fans, imagine how they feel.

Like every other team, once that "make the playoffs" stress goes away, they play their best hockey. ARI's a good example of that.

2 years in a row now, they start lighting up the league when the weight is removed.

Am I off-base with this thought?

Move JOHNNY to RW??

I don't really see a downside to that. Or get Yakupov(yes, I'm serious). Just play him to his strengths. Nobody has yet, what is there to lose?

Johnny could feed him one timers all day.

Just don't put him down for atrocious D. You know that going in. Seems to me Iggy sucked at playing D and that didn't matter.

Everywhere Yak has been has been "hate your D, hate your D, hate your D".

He's a great skater and has a bomb. Not the smartest player or greatest vision. Just know what your getting and use what he is good at.

Lastly, pay Kruger big bucks, the only coach who knew how to use Yak, and pretty sure he has a bone to pick with the Oilers.

Justice served, karma smiling.

I've been wondering what's going on with the top line for awhile.  

They were scoring at a much higher rate, but then turned into an inconsistent line.

You could usually count on JH contributing 2 points in a game, usually assists.

Now, unless he scores a goal, you are lucky to get one goal from the top line, PP included.

If Monahan and Ferland are both injured, then why isn't Gaudreau playing minutes with Janko?

Why is it that his extra minutes are with Stajan or Backlund and Brouwer?  Neither are a recipe for anything.

Shore showed he is a capable player, yet he's not getting into games.  

Lazar seems to have decent enough hustle, but I rarely seem him get an actual scoring chance; it gets bobbled or he falls over.

Brouwer is not a replacement of any kind for Tkachuk and does not belong in the top 9.

Bart is not the answer to replace Brodie.

Maybe it's too late for the season, but why not try some different tactics.

Alternate Bennett with Gaudreau for half the game.

Insert Shore on the 3rd line.

Pick one of Hathaway or Lazar or Brouwer to play the 4th line.

Gaudreau/Bennett-Monahan-Ferland

Frolik-Backlund-Lazar

Bennett/Gaudreau-Janko-Shore

Versteeg-Stajan-Brouwer/Hathaway

Gio-Hamilton

Hamonic-Andersson

Kulak-Stone  

Ok, so it looks slightly different for tonight, but at least Bart is not playing.

Benneyy-Monahan-Gaudreau (sides played TBA)

Frolik-Backlund-Brouwer (at least they won't get matched against the top line of Keller)

Ferland-Janko-Stewart (swing for the fences I guess)

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Ok, so it looks slightly different for tonight, but at least Bart is not playing.

Benneyy-Monahan-Gaudreau (sides played TBA)

Frolik-Backlund-Brouwer (at least they won't get matched against the top line of Keller)

Ferland-Janko-Stewart (swing for the fences I guess)

Looks like Andersson will be the RD on the 3rd pair...

24 minutes ago, Carty said:

Looks like Andersson will be the RD on the 3rd pair...

Saw that.

It's not completely bad, though Stone is a big step down from the Brodie we curse nightly.

There's a good chance that the 3rd pair will get closer to 15 minutes of ice.  Kulak is just that good.  Very smart.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Or get Yakupov(yes, I'm serious). Just play him to his strengths. Nobody has yet, what is there to lose?

Johnny could feed him one timers all day.

Just don't put him down for atrocious D. You know that going in. Seems to me Iggy sucked at playing D and that didn't matter.

Everywhere Yak has been has been "hate your D, hate your D, hate your D".

He's a great skater and has a bomb. Not the smartest player or greatest vision. Just know what your getting and use what he is good at.

Lastly, pay Kruger big bucks, the only coach who knew how to use Yak, and pretty sure he has a bone to pick with the Oilers.

Justice served, karma smiling.

I am so for this on so many levels. It doesn't need to be Yakupov (but great example)

Baseball brings in Designated hitters and runners; Football designated RB's and WR's.

Offensive zone faceoffs you throw Yak in for the one timer (and then tell him to stop by the bench on your way to the def zone).

Good teams sub in face off centers.

But then GG "Let's not deviate from the path" since you think we are pointed in the right direction. LOL

Einstein quote. "Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution."

25 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

He has 96 more points left.

Phew, I thought the season was done.

Excellent decision making tonight.

Play Smith after he craps the bed in Vegas.  After all, he had a month off.

Play a 4th line player on the 2nd line.  Again.

Follow it up with the said 4th line player on the top PP unit.

Roll 4 lines.

Pull the goalie and throw out said player again.

Comedy of errors.

Ice the puck with zero pressure.

Don't dump the puck when you need to.

Switch out one player with a 4th liner.

Goalie plays so deep that he has zero chance to take away any angle.

Let's be the first team to fire the coaching staff.

No harm there.

Avoid the rush.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Roll 4 lines.

Comedy of errors.

No harm there.

Avoid the rush.

Why can we see this? Yet coaching staff is oblivious

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Roll 4 lines.

Comedy of errors.

No harm there.

Avoid the rush.

Hey! Come-on now! That said 4th line player is ALWAYS in the right spot. He’s the most positionally sound player on the team. 

Maybe I am missing something. I get our coach is trying to be positive but you have to ask your self this:

1) We ALWAYS play a team where the goalies are hot.

2) We out shoot our opponents and lose

3) We always play 25-30 minutes and than collapse

4) We get a lead going into a period and lose by 2-3 goals.

5) We get a PP and it ALWAYS provides more of a spark for the opposition than us.

6) We always role 4 lines no matter what the situation, even if certain players are playing better than others.

Our coach is an embarrassment and there are some on this roster that fit this category as well. Every presser is the same with GG, excuses excuses. Now I have been a advocate that GG needs to go and still stand by that, I am also going to advocate that BT now be removed form his duties as well. Its been 3 years and we are now IMHO worse than when he got here, he has been good with contracts but much like this team has been below average with the rest.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Roll 4 lines.

Comedy of errors.

No harm there.

Avoid the rush.

Brouwer was the best player on the ice. Gaudreau was the worst. Funny how it goes some nights eh.

If there was any question about whether or not Gulutzan was going to stay they've been answered with how the Flames have collapsed down the stretch. I don't recall a team every doing that and keeping their coach for the next season unless it's a rebuild which this obviously is not anymore. 

He'll be gone. 100% certainty IMO. If Treliving wants to keep him Burke and the owners will change his mind but even at this point I think Treliving would see the writing on the wall. 

That being said the key to this off-season will be to avoid the trap of blaming this all on coaching. Even though I think he needs to be let go I still do not believe coaching is the biggest issue plaguing this team. Need to ensure players are accountable for this too and IMO they need at least 1, probably 2 bigger trades that shake things up. 

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

If there was any question about whether or not Gulutzan was going to stay they've been answered with how the Flames have collapsed down the stretch. I don't recall a team every doing that and keeping their coach for the next season unless it's a rebuild which this obviously is not anymore. 

He'll be gone. 100% certainty IMO. If Treliving wants to keep him Burke and the owners will change his mind but even at this point I think Treliving would see the writing on the wall. 

It's sad and I hate to see it but they may all be dead men walking.  Tree may have the best chance of survival.  I can't see ownership allowing BB to swing any more axes.

1 minute ago, CheersMan said:

It's sad and I hate to see it but they may all be dead men walking.  Tree may have the best chance of survival.  I can't see ownership allowing BB to swing any more axes.

And you may be right, it's certainly a fear of mine as well. Really wish ownership by now would learn to butt out and realize they suck at running a hockey team but that seems like wishful thinking.

37 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Fingers crossed but would like to see BT survive and add PofHO's job to BT

Archived