Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

During the game against STL, someone on SN mentioned how few shots we get from the point on the PP. We get a lot fewer shots from the point compared to when Hartley was the coach. I wonder if this is a coaching strategy. When it gets to the point, does GG preach that we shoot it along the boards to increase possession time in the offensive zone? Or, is it that the players are afraid to do so because of the risk of a turn over (which seems to happen too often)? With our defence, you would think that we would get a lot of scoring from the point. Gio and Stone have decent shots.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

During the game against STL, someone on SN mentioned how few shots we get from the point on the PP. We get a lot fewer shots from the point compared to when Hartley was the coach. I wonder if this is a coaching strategy. When it gets to the point, does GG preach that we shoot it along the boards to increase possession time in the offensive zone? Or, is it that the players are afraid to do so because of the risk of a turn over (which seems to happen too often)? With our defence, you would think that we would get a lot of scoring from the point. Gio and Stone have decent shots.

Ask Cameron (or ask Gully what the coach's system is).  They practice this stuff.  Some decisions are made during the game, which may or may not be the right move.  But that is about usage, not play.  

You could put Brodie in any situation, and he's going to do the exact same thing.  If that's what you want, they you don't talk to him and tell him what to do.  

I think the stat you were referring to was goal from the defense.  Nashville is tops.  That's because they shoot at the net and their play is based on that.  If they don't have a direct line, they aim for a stick to deflect or take a hot pass.  

As far as PK, Gully admitted the Brouwer mistake was something that was on the coaches.  I assume he meant that using him in that situation (having last change) was the mistake, but he did say that they were limiting entry better before and after that.  Brouwer went for the puck and didn't try to stop the player.  Other situations were different, so I can't tell you what exactly they changed.  

50 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I think we have to remember when BH was here a lot of our experience was with our defense not to mention a few including Wideman had some exceptional results. There is more experience and skill up front now to handle scoring opportunities and I think our defense are shooting the puck enough. They were all more involved in last night's game which was good to see.

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

I think it boils down to having Brodie on the 1st PP unit. He isn't a shooter, he doesn't have a very a good shot and when he does shoot 9 times out 10 he sends the puck into the shin pads of the forward covering him. With Gio taking over I think you will see more shots coming from the point. 

The PP with Brodie on the point was becoming predictable, everyone in the building knew he wasn't going to shoot, so that let the defenders fall back and take away the real threat in the slot, Monahan. With Gio shooting from the point it should open up Monahan in the slot a little more as teams will have to respect Gio's shot.

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

Pretty sure I seen a recent interview with GG (past week) where he was asked that question.  He said something to the effect that slappers from the point are low percentage scoring plays.  He shrugged it off as a poor hockey play which is not the reason of the recent struggles.  I'm guessing the dmen are told to shoot from the point only as a last resort.

30 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Pretty sure I seen a recent interview with GG (past week) where he was asked that question.  He said something to the effect that slappers from the point are low percentage scoring plays.  He shrugged it off as a poor hockey play which is not the reason of the recent struggles.  I'm guessing the dmen are told to shoot from the point only as a last resort.

I hope that he didn't say that.  Wideman taking a slapshot is low %.  Gio not hitting someone in the shins is a low %.  Spending 30 seconds passing it around without shooting is a low %.  2 foot passes when two defenders are playing agressively is low %.

For the 3v3 in OT, passing and possession is preferred.  We can play that to a T.  That's what makes our OT's so deadly.  You watch other team in OT and they are taking slapshots from the point, wristing it at the goalie, etc.  That works a lot less.

A passive PK opens up passing lanes.  It leads to chances ffrom the point.  An agressive PK means you have to be moving around to draw the player out of position.  That opens up shots from all over.  

The most annoying thing is we don't have a "Stamkos/Ovi/Tarasenko" waiting for the one-timer at the circle.  Or, at least we don't use that play.  Janko and Ferland would be ideal setting up for it, though we would need to buy Ferland sticks with a better flex/brake ratio.  :P

45 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think it boils down to having Brodie on the 1st PP unit. He isn't a shooter, he doesn't have a very a good shot and when he does shoot 9 times out 10 he sends the puck into the shin pads of the forward covering him. With Gio taking over I think you will see more shots coming from the point. 

Last night I counted 7 shots from the point from Geo(could have missed some!!) but 1 shot made it through to the goalie 1 was wide, 2 hit sticks and 3 shin pads. One was a near break away for STL. It is like he is waiting till everyone is ready for his shot before he executes.

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I hope that he didn't say that.  Wideman taking a slapshot is low %.  Gio not hitting someone in the shins is a low %.  Spending 30 seconds passing it around without shooting is a low %.  2 foot passes when two defenders are playing agressively is low %.

For the 3v3 in OT, passing and possession is preferred.  We can play that to a T.  That's what makes our OT's so deadly.  You watch other team in OT and they are taking slapshots from the point, wristing it at the goalie, etc.  That works a lot less.

A passive PK opens up passing lanes.  It leads to chances ffrom the point.  An agressive PK means you have to be moving around to draw the player out of position.  That opens up shots from all over.  

The most annoying thing is we don't have a "Stamkos/Ovi/Tarasenko" waiting for the one-timer at the circle.  Or, at least we don't use that play.  Janko and Ferland would be ideal setting up for it, though we would need to buy Ferland sticks with a better flex/brake ratio.  :P

Yes but when your game is based on reaching 3 vs 3 you are merely going for the 1 point. That doesn't help much especially if it's a game within the division.

IMO usually teams block or keep shots low % about 1/2 the time. But the adage that you can't score if you don't shoot holds. If 80 attempts become 35 shots on goal that the 'tender has to stop odds are some will go in. Playing keep away hoping for that ideal opening is very low %. Not every goal need be of the high light ilk. A lot of goals are of the dirty variety that go in off a body or stick (made me think of Hartnell where so many of his credited goals were bounced off his butt. :lol:).

17 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Yes but when your game is based on reaching 3 vs 3 you are merely going for the 1 point. That doesn't help much especially if it's a game within the division.

IMO usually teams block or keep shots low % about 1/2 the time. But the adage that you can't score if you don't shoot holds. If 80 attempts become 35 shots on goal that the 'tender has to stop odds are some will go in. Playing keep away hoping for that ideal opening is very low %. Not every goal need be of the high light ilk. A lot of goals are of the dirty variety that go in off a body or stick (made me think of Hartnell where so many of his credited goals were bounced off his butt. :lol:).

Yes, I was just commenting about only using a shot from the point as a last option.  I don't agree with it.  Regarding overtime, I hope to never hear Gully say again he wants the one point in the bag.  Reminds me of the days of playing to a tie.  Teams like NJ used to stop in the 2nd period if they had a tie.

Our PP and EN setup are beyond bad.  Player usage may constrain how we deploy it, but there has to be a better way.  Maybe design the PP and then fit the player in.  Or use the player strengths and design the play based on it.  I have to think that we have enough talent for putting the puck in the net to figure out some set-plays that have a chance of working.  I also believe that you need more than one trick in your bag to be able to use.  Not every team PK's the same.  You have to be able to read what is happening on the ice and adapt.  But what do I know.  I just like watching 'dat hockey stuff and see dem score dem goals.

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Agreed, we seem to look for the pretty goal, what about drive the net and punch a greasy one in. Most goals are scored with in 2-6 feet of the net. Must also add JH needs to come up with a better move than 5 hole on goalies. He is starting to look like the Paul Byron we had multiple breakaways 0 goals.

15 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Agreed, we seem to look for the pretty goal, what about drive the net and punch a greasy one in. Most goals are scored with in 2-6 feet of the net. Must also add JH needs to come up with a better move than 5 hole on goalies. He is starting to look like the Paul Byron we had multiple breakaways 0 goals.

I agree with shot choices.  He has a couple that are almost impossible to stop; backhand bar down and shoot blocker side.

He was being hooked, so I give him a break for not scoring.  If only the PP was effective, because his breakaways almost always result in a penalty.  

37 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Must also add JH needs to come up with a better move than 5 hole on goalies. He is starting to look like the Paul Byron we had multiple breakaways 0 goals.

Shakes head. We have seen JG score above the right goalie shoulder with a hand and a half opening. Ya he is deadly accurate when he shoots but he likes to Razzle Dazzle.

We reached the Christmas break, 44% of our season is behind us.  Here is where we stand in 10 categories;

Home Losses, 2nd 

Hits, 31st

Blocked Shots, 25th

PK, 25th

PP, 21st

GF, 20th

FOW%, 19th

PIM/GP, 10th

First Period Goals, 30th

Missed Shots, 1st

To summarize; We can’t win at home.  We avoid the physical game like the plaque and we’re afraid to block a shot.  Anemic PK but we like taking penalties.  PP is bottom 1/3 so is our scoring.  FOW is below league average.  We start the game slow and fall behind, then we expect our league leading missed shots to bail us out.  We are pretty good playing 3 on 3 but that’s not playoff hockey.  The results to date are not a recipe for playoff hockey.   

On May 3, 2016, Burke did an interview in Toronto, shortly after BH was fired.  He said he wanted a physical team, a big aggressive team, one with truculence.  A black and blue team that likes it rough, but plays the possession game.  He also wanted specialty teams to be minimum league average.  It doesn’t look like Burke is getting much under the Christmas tree this year.  I think grumpy is going to be knocking some turnips off the truck in the new year.  Maybe his turnip rolls too.

28 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

On May 3, 2016, Burke did an interview in Toronto, shortly after BH was fired.  He said he wanted a physical team, a big aggressive team, one with truculence.  A black and blue team that likes it rough, but plays the possession game.  He also wanted specialty teams to be minimum league average.  It doesn’t look like Burke is getting much under the Christmas tree this year.  I think grumpy is going to be knocking some turnips off the truck in the new year.  Maybe his turnip rolls too.

I think Burke has too many other things on the go to actually do his job of President of Hockey Operations for the Flames. To find the rotten turnip that is spoiling the whole box you need to start by removing the ones at the top.

10 hours ago, CheersMan said:

We reached the Christmas break, 44% of our season is behind us.  Here is where we stand in 10 categories;

Home Losses, 2nd 

Hits, 31st

Blocked Shots, 25th

PK, 25th

PP, 21st

GF, 20th

FOW%, 19th

PIM/GP, 10th

First Period Goals, 30th

Missed Shots, 1st

To summarize; We can’t win at home.  We avoid the physical game like the plaque and we’re afraid to block a shot.  Anemic PK but we like taking penalties.  PP is bottom 1/3 so is our scoring.  FOW is below league average.  We start the game slow and fall behind, then we expect our league leading missed shots to bail us out.  We are pretty good playing 3 on 3 but that’s not playoff hockey.  The results to date are not a recipe for playoff hockey.   

Political announcement... This is 100% why I am not a GG fan. This club is so far from the identity that was preached I don't know how Gully has a job

10 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Home Losses, 2nd 

Hits, 31st

Blocked Shots, 25th

PK, 25th

PP, 21st

GF, 20th

FOW%, 19th

PIM/GP, 10th

First Period Goals, 30th

Missed Shots, 1st

But we are on the right side of Corsi and all of those "advanced" stats. 

Hope you get my sarcasm... :P

12 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Home Losses, 2nd 

Hits, 31st

Blocked Shots, 25th

PK, 25th

PP, 21st

GF, 20th

FOW%, 19th

PIM/GP, 10th

First Period Goals, 30th

Missed Shots, 1st

Very good post

13 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Home Losses, 2nd 

Hits, 31st

Blocked Shots, 25th

PK, 25th

PP, 21st

GF, 20th

FOW%, 19th

PIM/GP, 10th

First Period Goals, 30th

Missed Shots, 1st

The Flames have too much talent to be doing that poorly without someone putting the wrong ingredients in the soup... 

Maybe Gulutzan should read this...

9d2782de0e65d91861a7373ad8b171e6.png

Maybe Gulutzan 

On 12/24/2017 at 0:47 PM, Carty said:

The Flames have too much talent to be doing that poorly without someone putting the wrong ingredients in the soup... 

Maybe Gulutzan 

Did you send him that for Christmas? ^_^

1 hour ago, Carty said:

I was going to, but I wasn't sure if he would like it because it didn't have a 'practice hitting the crossbar' chapter...

Does it have a section about practicing and trying the same things that don;t work for dozens of games?

AKA "The Rinse and Repeat Strategy". 

There's a pretty good writeup on the success of the Las Vegas Golden Knights here: https://thehockeywriters.com/the-vegas-golden-knights-a-true-underdog-story/

I can't pretend to have the first clue about what goes on behind closed doors, but I thought that this part was interesting about coaching, and Gerard Gallant. 

Pretty straightforward direction from Gallant, who admits his time as an assistant for Canada’s 2017 IIHF World Championship team helped better prepare him for the task at hand in Vegas. His approach has caused many to label him a player’s coach.

“After that experience of three weeks there with Team Canada and seeing how our team came together and the chemistry and the lines and all that, you don’t worry as much…for me, it’s about getting your chemistry, getting your leadership, and they’ll get their chemistry in their lines and their [defense] partners.”

Love. 

On December 24, 2017 at 0:47 PM, Carty said:

Maybe Gulutzan 

Unless it has pictures and movable stickers its above his capability

11 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

A bit lot disappointed. GG strategy for the last minute of the game was "Shoot everything at the net". Not a sign of a coach who has many answers.

RC on his time out was drawing up positions and placements. Such a contrast.

Cause one has a clue the other is clueless

Archived