Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

686dd0e42f243f9d8e4cff46fefdc624.png

So we’re going to work as a tight 5-man unit, pressure the opposition in an attempt to get the puck back quickly, and we’re going to back check. Are these new ideas, were we not doing that before?

Under Hartley we weren't doing any of these. Hartley's defensive system was so unbelievably passive. There was zero pressure on the puck carrier, the system was all about keeping the puck to the outside and blocking the shot. The back check lacked purpose, guys just back to a position, there was very little puck retrieval.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to Calgary 1st off. I know very little of the new coach. He talks a good game, I agree with the idealism of playing fast and defending fast, do we have the players to do the role is my only concern. He talks high of Stajan and Engleland which is concerning, pretty sure speed is not part of his vocabulary.

I considered a new thread about this, but it's such a singular issue.

Perhaps Gulutzan/BT can find a way to address it.

It's been the haunting aspect of our game for years.

It affects possession numbers and has a big impact on the PP and PK.

If those stats aren't great, it's the very first thing to look at, yet it seems to always elude the extremely hard microscope it deserves.

Faceoffs.

Lose them on the PP, go fetch the puck out of your end. Lose them on the PK, goal against threat. Lose them 5-on-5, there goes your possession numbers.

We're going to need hot and heavy puck pursuit from our wingers right off the draw if we don't get consistently better at draws.

If those stats aren't great, it's the very first thing to look at, yet it seems to always elude the extremely hard microscope it deserves.

Faceoffs.

Lose them on the PP, go fetch the puck out of your end. Lose them on the PK, goal against threat. Lose them 5-on-5, there goes your possession numbers.

We're going to need hot and heavy puck pursuit from our wingers right off the draw if we don't get consistently better at draws.

In one of his many interviews yesterday, he did mention faceoffs as part of his regular practice topics. Also said powerplay was a top practice item as well. Said faceoffs are part of his "attack" practice which is usually where he starts each practice.

Welcome to Calgary 1st off. I know very little of the new coach. He talks a good game, I agree with the idealism of playing fast and defending fast, do we have the players to do the role is my only concern. He talks high of Stajan and Engleland which is concerning, pretty sure speed is not part of his vocabulary.

But veteran support is part of who they are. I think we see Stajan on LW with Backlund and Frolik which should be a very responsible line.

I think people are making too much out of his comments about Stajan and Engelland. It's the coaches job to coach the team he is given and right now he was given a team with Matt Stajan and Derek Engelland on the roster, both if whom happen to be veterans on the team and veterans are important on any team. I don't read anything into this comments other than he is going good to work with what he has.

Faceoffs.

I think your last point if the more crucial one, puck support off faceoffs. Personally I find people overrate the importance of faceoffs. While yes I too want to see the flames improve, there have been multiple people publish articles that show there is no tangible link between faceoffs and puck possession. Case in point the best faceoff team in the league last year was Arizona and they were the 3rd worst PK in the league. It's a short play and it's one play in a sequence so j think what is far more critical is how you are prepared to get the puck back when/if you lose a faceoff then actually winning the faceoff itself.

That's where I'm really hoping Gulutzan differs. Hartley was quicker to point to issues like faceoffs and shot blocking which I think ignore the real problem

So I was looking at who could be good assistant or associate coaches for Gulutzan and I came across Bruce Cassidy. Gulutzan mentioned that he wants coach who has strong special teams ability, well Cassidy has been the head coach for the Providence Bruins the last 5 seasons, he has run a top 10 PP in the AHL the last 4 seasons and the best PP in the AHL the last 2 seasons. He had the 2nd best PK in the AHL last year and has had a top 10 PK in 3 of his 5 seasons in Providence.

GG should see if Todd Reirdan can come on board? He ran Pittsburghs pp before and the Penguins were tops in the league while he was there. Reirdan probably only has an out clause for HC position though. Would make one heck of a coaching staff though. Cassidy would be a good choice though.

We need to find out who his hair stylist is..

Lol!!

Beaker? The muppets guy?

But veteran support is part of who they are. I think we see Stajan on LW with Backlund and Frolik which should be a very responsible line.

That line would lead in plus/minus for sure.

Every single coach at the NHL level coach the same way. The good ones know how to change the system on the fly as the game goes. When I played in the Ajhl if we lost offensive zone face off our 5 man line was to pressure in unison to get the puck back. I knew ( without a coaches discretion what I had to do) as a winger to pressure down low to make the D-man make a mistake. Coaching at NHL level is all about in game strategies on the fly. NHL players know their responsibilities and if they screw up good coaches take the brunt of it all. How many GMs make a coaching change and say to the public "This guy will take us far" It's all on the players.

Every single coach at the NHL level coach the same way. The good ones know how to change the system on the fly as the game goes. When I played in the Ajhl if we lost offensive zone face off our 5 man line was to pressure in unison to get the puck back. I knew ( without a coaches discretion what I had to do) as a winger to pressure down low to make the D-man make a mistake. Coaching at NHL level is all about in game strategies on the fly. NHL players know their responsibilities and if they screw up good coaches take the brunt of it all. How many GMs make a coaching change and say to the public "This guy will take us far" It's all on the players.

It is a collective effort, GM has to provide quality players, Coach has to introduce winning systems and style of play and the players have to execute with their performance.

Gulutzen also said that after he came from the Minors, the things that made him a successful coach in the minors didn't work in the NHL. It's the reason he stayed in the NHL as an assistant coach instead of going to coach in the minors again as a head coach, so that he'd get to see how the NHL team systems operate. 

So we’re going to work as a tight 5-man unit, pressure the opposition in an attempt to get the puck back quickly, and we’re going to back check.  Are these new ideas, were we not doing that before?

​--------

I’m not drinking the cool aid until I see results.  BH, BT and BB have always said “you can’t fall behind in this league, it’s just too hard to climb back into the race”, therefore results had better come quickly.  Anyways, I’m a Flame fan first, ill be supporting the new guy moving forward.

I think that's a fair comment. 

Were we not doing that before?  Not only that, what were the Canucks doing so well last season under Gulutzan's partial guidance if that's the hockey he wants to implement here?  

Were we not doing that before? Not only that, what were the Canucks doing so well last season under Gulutzan's partial guidance if that's the hockey he wants to implement here?

Assistant coaches administer the systems the head coach wants to play.

I get what you're saying, but no, we only played as a five man unit partially last year. It took until we were almost mathematically out of the playoffs to actually play as a team. They showed glimpses in a home winning streak, but didn't sustain it.

The last bit was also a response to Cheers...

Were we not doing that before?  Not only that, what were the Canucks doing so well last season under Gulutzan's partial guidance if that's the hockey he wants to implement here?  

I think I read somewhere he was in charge of the Nucks special teams.

I really liked a few of his comments.

On blocked shots: It is essential and players need to be willing to do it. But it isn't plan A. It is what you do when you failed to defend. This is a huge improvement over Hartleys block first mentality.

On analytics: A tool to challenge your bias. Coaches have certain styles they are attracted to while their are others they are not. I think this is important. Guys like Bouma gain coaches points because of the way they play, but the analytics show that he isn't getting results.

Archived