Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

Frank Seravalli (@frank_seravalli) tweeted at 3:24 PM on Thu, Jun 23, 2016:

#Flames are beginning to interview asst coaches in BUF. Dave Cameron, Craig Berube and Dave Lowry among the candidates.

Jim Matheson (@NHLbyMatty) tweeted at 3:46 PM on Thu, Jun 23, 2016:

I'm hearing ex Jets' AHL coach Keith McCambridge as assistant coach with Gulatzan in Calgary

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is McCambridge that is a solid hire. Makes for a young staff which gives me some concern but I think all 3 are up and coming coaches and the veteran NHL coach market is picked pretty thin. 

Jets have had a real solid development system for a while and I think McCambridge deserves alot of credit for that. Results havn't been there in terms of wins/losses but growth has. 

Eric Francis (@EricFrancis) tweeted at 2:45 PM on Thu, Jun 23, 2016:

One of the names I'm hearing in terms of hiring a #Flames assistant coach is Tim Hunter, which would be a popular choice. #nhl

Maybe the candidates for assistant coaches will also be trying out at camp. LOL

Have been told the schedule and roster for Flames development camp will be coming out tomorrow. Spoiler Alert: It's next week at WinSport

Last I heard on the Assistant coach front was they interivewed/spoke with about 10-12 around the draft and hoped to have someone in place by Development camp. Can't remember who reported that. 

Craig Berube, who was rumored, took an AHL job so he is out. 

Roger Millions (@RogMillions) tweeted at 1:58 PM on Tue, Jul 05, 2016:

Interesting spectator at #Flames camp... Former Ottawa HC Dave Cameron... Candidate for Assistant Coach??

Roger Millions (@RogMillions) tweeted at 1:59 PM on Tue, Jul 05, 2016:

Cameron visiting with Brad Treliving and Brian Burke. #Flames

I don't mind Dave Cameron. Really good junior coach, and Senators were pretty good with him as an assistant to Maclean. Wasn't very good as a head coach, but not sure he was ready and the Senators really arn't that good a team IMO.

Not thrilled about Jerrard. I get he follows Gulutzan around but nothing about his record really jumps out at you. 

I'm confident with GG as the guy. Not confident with BT hiring of Huska 2 seasons ago. The farm team has taken a step back in development in my eyes. All the non qualifying offers this year for our farm team. I'm sure BT is just making room for other potential guys though.

I don't mind Dave Cameron. Really good junior coach, and Senators were pretty good with him as an assistant to Maclean. Wasn't very good as a head coach, but not sure he was ready and the Senators really arn't that good a team IMO.

Not thrilled about Jerrard. I get he follows Gulutzan around but nothing about his record really jumps out at you. 

just posted in the goaltending thread as well, but can probably attribute the new Stockton Goaltending coach to him as well. Played for him in Las Vegas,  but also the guy that helped develop Matt Murray and Hutton

Intersting to see what this means for Gelinas. Press release confirms they are adding these 2 guys to the staff alongside him but what is everyone roles?

I can't say I will be very impressed if Gelinas isnt on the bench in favor of these 2. Both of these hires are very meh and I happen to believe Gelinas is a pretty good coach so i'm not impressed if they are reducing his impact. 

Intersting to see what this means for Gelinas. Press release confirms they are adding these 2 guys to the staff alongside him but what is everyone roles?

I can't say I will be very impressed if Gelinas isnt on the bench in favor of these 2. Both of these hires are very meh and I happen to believe Gelinas is a pretty good coach so i'm not impressed if they are reducing his impact. 

Supposed to be assistant coaches, neither was hired as an associate.  

So apparantly Gutlutzan said the following:

Jerrard will coach Dmen and PK. In Utica their pK was 4th and 6th in the league last few years.

Cameron will coach PP. Gelinas to assist with both PP and forwards.

Gelinas to be upstairs. 

Pretty meh overal on this decision. Not great, not terrible althought I do think Cameron is a good coach, just not a head coach type. Don't love Gelinas leaving the bench. 

Jerrard will coach Dmen and PK. In Utica their pK was 4th and 6th in the league last few years.

Gelinas to be upstairs. 

Pretty meh overal on this decision. Not great, not terrible althought I do think Cameron is a good coach, just not a head coach type. Don't love Gelinas leaving the bench. 

actually I'm kind of Ok with him being upstairs, they did mention he would likely be down for the 3rd periods. The one upstairs is the one who sees the ice best , sees opportunities and tendencies . He becomes the most important guy when it comes to making between period adjustments

I went back to Gulutzan's time as head coach in Dallas to see if I could find out anything about the way he deploys players based on even strength ice. The ice time for the forwards broke down like this.

1st Line: 15-16min

2nd Line: 14-15min

3rd Line: 12-13min

4th Line: 9-11 min

He likes to roll all 4 lines pretty well, I also noticed that he likes to have a speedy 4th line.

The defense pairings ice time broke down like this

1st Pair: 17-18 min

2nd Pair: 16-17 min

3rd Pair: 16 min

Again rolling his pairings really evenly at even strength.

I expect we will see the 4th line and 3rd pairing out a little more than what we had seen under Hartley.

Gelinas to be upstairs. 

Translation,

Gulutzan has fired Gelinas from the bench.

Translation,

Gulutzan has fired Gelinas from the bench.

I see it as a promotion , see above.. the coaches on the bench are there for their specialty (PP- bench control , etc) being upstairs gives Gelinas bigger in game adjustment control and input. basically he becomes the coaches eyes for small things the team can exploit.

Its no different than an NFL coordinator being upstairs and sending down plays

I went back to Gulutzan's time as head coach in Dallas to see if I could find out anything about the way he deploys players based on even strength ice. The ice time for the forwards broke down like this.

1st Line: 15-16min

2nd Line: 14-15min

3rd Line: 12-13min

4th Line: 9-11 min

He likes to roll all 4 lines pretty well, I also noticed that he likes to have a speedy 4th line.

The defense pairings ice time broke down like this

1st Pair: 17-18 min

2nd Pair: 16-17 min

3rd Pair: 16 min

Again rolling his pairings really evenly at even strength.

I expect we will see the 4th line and 3rd pairing out a little more than what we had seen under Hartley.

Good breakdown.

But what were their teams like? .500 hockey teams. Did they have Dmen that could handle more minutes?

This assessment plays into Travel's theory that the 4th line needs a touch of skill to produce with those minutes.

Archived