Hartley fired, who's the next coach?

MAC331

Who should be the next coach of the Calgary Flames?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next coach of the Calgary Flames?

• Bruce Boudreau
    • A veteran coach
    • A rookie coach
    • Promote from within
    • Darryl Sutter (if available)

I would like to see a younger coach that can grow with the team, coach's like Ray Edwards, Mark French, Travis Green, Trent Yawney. The way I am looking at this is we are where the Islanders/Lightning were a few years ago right on the cusp of being a playoff contender and needing that push to be a Cup contender. They hired Jack Capuano/Jon Cooper with no head coach experience in the NHL and he grew with the team. We have some young stars like they did, some good vets like they did now to me bringing in a young coach could bring us to where the Islanders/Lightning are today.

Some young coaches will produce but some need to be assistants longer at the NHL level. Experience is still key. The Flames don't want a potential coach, they want one who is known and expected to produce, similar to acquiring a known top level starter goalie rather than hoping an up and coming one will develop. It's never guaranteed but hopefully a little more than an educated guess. Younger and longer term is a good thing but you get the very best you can get regardless of age.

That might be rather long winded of me. I am now open to take shots :)

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some young coaches will produce but some need to be assistants longer at the NHL level. Experience is still key. The Flames don't want a potential coach, they want one who is known and expected to produce, similar to acquiring a known top level starter goalie rather than hoping an up and coming one will develop. It's never guaranteed but hopefully a little more than an educated guess. Younger and longer term is a good thing but you get the very best you can get regardless of age.

That might be rather long winded of me. I am now open to take shots :)

2 positions you want experience if you intend to win. Coach & goalie.

Some coaches can learn on the job (Hakstol this year) but I feel safer with a vet (or @ least a guy that put in time as assistant).

Agreed with all the Darryl Sutter votes. Great coach but made too many mistakes as GM.

Maybe you could add a poll. As an admin you could.

Those currently available & D Sutter with "if available" in brackets.

:)

Obviously we have to seperate what the public gets to hear, and the inside talk..but.. good interview with Burke. He staed him and BT have a detailed blueprint of the new coach qualities. Dont care if he's a vet, a rookue, currently an assistant or an AHL coach

He was also a bit more specific in saying "we have many players in the organization who were not used how we wanted them used"

Of what I can recall, he described them as wanting,

1) a brian burke blsck and blue team, physical, punishing with skill in the top 6

2) good stats for special teams. If we're bsd in one we better be top in the other

3) a team thst hangs onto the puck and doesn't give it up

Basically, he described Anaheim

He was quick to point out tho that its BT's hire..but they're on the same page with the blueprint

Who I think they will hire:

I'll have to ponder on it for awhile.

Will they hire from within?

Maybe. BT aquired Ryan Huska,  maybe but not sure he has built up his resume enough yet..

My longshot on who they might/should hire:

Guy Boucher, Dale Hawerchuk

Please God no:

Ron Wilson, Randy Carlyle or Marc Crawford

Who I think they will hire:

I'll have to ponder on it for awhile.

Will they hire from within?

Maybe. BT aquired Ryan Huska,  maybe but not sure he has built up his resume enough yet..

My longshot on who they might/should hire:

Guy Boucher, Dale Hawerchuk

Please God no:

Ron Wilson, Randy Carlyle or Marc Crawford

Agree with your no's.  Please stay away from them.

I think there are one or two more that will be looking for jobs come June.  Trotz is probably safe.  Hitch could be on his way out, but not interested.  Maybe Laviolette.  Probably some more from teams that missed the dance.

Obviously we have to seperate what the public gets to hear, and the inside talk..but.. good interview with Burke. He staed him and BT have a detailed blueprint of the new coach qualities. Dont care if he's a vet, a rookue, currently an assistant or an AHL coach

He was also a bit more specific in saying "we have many players in the organization who were not used how we wanted them used"

Of what I can recall, he described them as wanting,

1) a brian burke blsck and blue team, physical, punishing with skill in the top 6

2) good stats for special teams. If we're bsd in one we better be top in the other

3) a team thst hangs onto the puck and doesn't give it up

Basically, he described Anaheim

He was quick to point out tho that its BT's hire..but they're on the same page with the blueprint

Is that a Burke quote non verbatum, 'Dont care if he's a vet, a rookue, currently an assistant or an AHL coach'?

If so, I don't fully like that. Read Flyerfan52's commentary about 6 posts back.

I think Kevin Dinnen is going to get a look and he's already popped up on Twitter as being linked to the flames. Burke hired him in Anaheim as their AHL coach, he's coaches the tough "black and blue" style they want to play and he's coming out of a winning program where they preach a lot of what Treliving and Burke have talked about in terms of style of play.

I like him personally. He'd be worth interviewing for sure.

I think Kevin Dinnen is going to get a look and he's already popped up on Twitter as being linked to the flames. Burke hired him in Anaheim as their AHL coach, he's coaches the tough "black and blue" style they want to play and he's coming out of a winning program where they preach a lot of what Treliving and Burke have talked about in terms of style of play.

Kevin Dineen would be a great choice for this young group.

When I read that in an article earlier I wanted to throw up.

Might wanna look at your roster.

Is that a Burke quote non verbatum, 'Dont care if he's a vet, a rookue, currently an assistant or an AHL coach'?

If so, I don't fully like that. Read Flyerfan52's commentary about 6 posts back.

Yes it was. Aside from my bad typos of course..wow gotta start proofreading my posts better..lol

But yes, he was clear on that.. his statement was every hall of fame coach was a rookie coach once "because somebody gave them a chance"

Says all that matters is the blueprint, not their current level of experience. So they are open to all those possibilities

I like to look at the guys who learn under some of the best coaches in the game. 

Kevin Dineen is currently an assistant in Chicago, he was head coach of some pretty horrible Florida teams. His first year in Florida they went to the conference finals.

Jim Hiller is currently and assistant in Toronto and he followed Babcock from Detroit.

Jim Playfair has worked with Tippet for many years, I don't think he got a fair shake with his year as head coach in Calgary.

The whole "black and blue" concept is not odd looking at the current roster. Sure guys like Gaudreau are not physical but that is only a few guys on the team. When playing their game and doing it well, Bollig, Bennett, Bouma, Stajan, Ferland, Jooris, Giordano, Engelland, Smid, Hathaway are all physical, scrum it up guys. If you take the concept as puck possession then Colbourne, Frolik, Brodie and Backlund step right into the mix. Gaudreau, Monahan and Hamilton are skill based. I think the basics of this lineup when used properly is exactly a Burke risk team with a Treliving flair.

The want a team that puts forth full effort night in and night out. Just need a coach that can make it happen.

gary lawless (@garylawless) tweeted at 1:37 PM on Tue, May 03, 2016:

Calling around and keep hearing the name Kevin Dineen as a strong candidate for #nhlflames gig

I think Carlyle and Crawford are too similar to Hartley it would be a huge mistake to bring either of those guys in to coach.

The whole "black and blue" concept is not odd looking at the current roster. Sure guys like Gaudreau are not physical but that is only a few guys on the team. When playing their game and doing it well, Bollig, Bennett, Bouma, Stajan, Ferland, Jooris, Giordano, Engelland, Smid, Hathaway are all physical, scrum it up guys. If you take the concept as puck possession then Colbourne, Frolik, Brodie and Backlund step right into the mix. Gaudreau, Monahan and Hamilton are skill based. I think the basics of this lineup when used properly is exactly a Burke risk team with a Treliving flair.

The want a team that puts forth full effort night in and night out. Just need a coach that can make it happen.

Agreed, BT brought in possession players like Hamilton, and Hartley deployed them in a dump and chase system. Dougie in Boston proved he can make crisp passes. Etc. Engelland when given minutes was physical and showed he can drive a bit of an offensive rush.all in all, we have the horses to play the system. As successful as he is, every entry into the zone looks the same.... pass to Johnny, spinorama at the line, carry it in on the wing and a point shot on goal. If I can see it..then defenders sure can

As for candidates..

Boudreau and Sutter (if available) are the obvious sexy picks. With Boudreau my main concern is of course his playoffs and we rave about his special teams, but how much of that is Preston and Maclean?

Nelson, Dineen, Green,obviously deserve consideration for sure

One name came up, and it was curiius, but could be a dark horse..

Dallas Eakins

Before we laugh, lets remember he was set up for failure in Edmonton.we all saw Todds meltdown over coaching this team.

Eakins has been highly successful at every level except Edmonton, and is successful again now that hes left.

For the love of God his best defenseman were Justin Schultz and Andrew Ference

He preaches fitness, deploys a fast paced transition game. I think he coaches the game both BT and BB want to see and will give him the players he needs to do it.

Not saying hes a front runner but I wouldnt be against him as a candidate. You know hed be motivated to beat Edmonton each and every time:)

Agreed, BT brought in possession players like Hamilton, and Hartley deployed them in a dump and chase system. Dougie in Boston proved he can make crisp passes. Etc. Engelland when given minutes was physical and showed he can drive a bit of an offensive rush.all in all, we have the horses to play the system. As successful as he is, every entry into the zone looks the same.... pass to Johnny, spinorama at the line, carry it in on the wing and a point shot on goal. If I can see it..then defenders sure can

As for candidates..

Boudreau and Sutter (if available) are the obvious sexy picks. With Boudreau my main concern is of course his playoffs and we rave about his special teams, but how much of that is Preston and Maclean?

Nelson, Dineen, Green,obviously deserve consideration for sure

One name came up, and it was curiius, but could be a dark horse..

Dallas Eakins

Before we laugh, lets remember he was set up for failure in Edmonton.we all saw Todds meltdown over coaching this team.

Eakins has been highly successful at every level except Edmonton, and is successful again now that hes left.

For the love of God his best defenseman were Justin Schultz and Andrew Ference

He preaches fitness, deploys a fast paced transition game. I think he coaches the game both BT and BB want to see and will give him the players he needs to do it.

Not saying hes a front runner but I wouldnt be against him as a candidate. You know hed be motivated to beat Edmonton each and every time:)

Pass.

Swarm defense may work in junior or AHL hockey, but I think it would be a mistake in the NHL.  They had better players than Jultz trying to make it work, but couldn't.  

We don't need motivation to beat Edmonton; that's a given.  Bennett plays his heart out every time he saw McDavid.  The only time we lost to them was due to goaltending.

Archived