Hartley fired, who's the next coach?

MAC331

Who should be the next coach of the Calgary Flames?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next coach of the Calgary Flames?

• Bruce Boudreau
    • A veteran coach
    • A rookie coach
    • Promote from within
    • Darryl Sutter (if available)

For what its worth:

Flames making big pitch for Boudreau. Offer already on table

67 retweets56 likes

Retweet

More

Having said that, he also goes on to say he doesn't think Boudreau will pick Calgary. Thinks Boudrea is either in Minnesota or Ottawa

Opinions on Lowry?

I liked him when he was around but I dont know much about him overall

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/whl-coach-of-the-year-dave-lowry-says-hes-ready-to-coach-at-nhl-level-378205401.html

Would make sense he would get a look. He is a very impressive Junior coach and has done a great job with 2 franchises now. He didn't quite get the success he wanted with the Hitmen but man where those teams fun to watch. Fast paced, up tempo, well structured and he seemed to be able to push the right buttons to get them going even in games where they weren't quite into it. That Hitmen team was one of the more dominant Junior teams i've ever seen, they lost 9 games all year..... I'll always remember Lowry in the 04 run being on the bench. He wasn't a regular in the lineup at the point but the guys had so much respect for him Sutter put him on the bench, I think that says alot about Lowry the person and leader. 

My only hesitation is when was the last time a junior coach went straight to the NHL and had success? At least Lowry was an assistant here so he has some knowledge of the NHL but to jump from head coach in WHL to NHL? I'm skeptical. Its traditionally been a huge jump to make and more fail than succeed. I'd rather see him behind an AHL bench for a season or two first. 

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank goodness Torts has a job. Need no speculation or suggestion of him coming here.

Columbus gave up a second round pick to get Torts. Face palm of the year.

Oh and it was reportedly to give Ryan Johansen a shake up. Then they trade Johansen afterwards. Double face palm.

I wish.

He'd still stress defense to a degree but look @ how he changed his style in Washington.

He coaches to his team's strengths.

Actually a good name to throw into the mix. His record looks good & there's a Flames connection.

I like what he did with them in the regular season.  I am stymied to understand what is wrong with Ovi right now.  I don't think Pittsburg is better than Washington.  Crysby has seemed to impact the officiating, although CBC/SN seems to complain about how much he is being hacked, tripped, X-checked.   Ovi looks lost out there.  Is that just Ovi, or is Trotz not getting the message to him?

I like what he did with them in the regular season.  I am stymied to understand what is wrong with Ovi right now.  I don't think Pittsburg is better than Washington.  Crysby has seemed to impact the officiating, although CBC/SN seems to complain about how much he is being hacked, tripped, X-checked.   Ovi looks lost out there.  Is that just Ovi, or is Trotz not getting the message to him?

That's just Ovi, they have tried a bunch of coaches with Ovi, and Trotz has probably gotten more out of him than any other coach, but at the end of the day Ovi isn't a winner. He is one of the greatest goal scorers the league has ever seen, but I wouldn't have him on my team, not if the goal is to win a Stanley Cup. 

Two names I am becoming more and more intrigued with are Travis Green and Nate Leeman. The Flames will have seen Nate Leeman first hand while they checked in on Gilles, Gilmour and Jankowski and I would have to assume they like the returns and development they have seen there. I think the success Dave Hakstol had in Philly this year tempers the whole fear around a coach making the jump from college to the Pros. If you are a good coach I don't think the level matters as much and in some ways I would argue a college coach would have an advantage. I don't think the grind them out hard checking from behind coaching works anymore so having someone who can related to college kids I think is closer to what today's pros are. 

Travis Green has been impressive where ever he has gone and the Canucks have seen some nice development out of guys in Utica. I personally feel this hire is going to be someone like these two and its not going to be a retread like Caryle, Crawford etc. More of the retreads out there I don't think the profile of what Treliving is after nor do they fit how he wants to work. I am expecting it to be a lesser name and someone that doens't have as much NHL experience. These are two guys that I think could be up and comers and that's the route I would go. I'm not impressed by any "veteran" candidate that is on the market right now.

I like Nate Leeman, he seems like a good communicator and Providence plays with a lot of pace.

I worry though that maybe it's too big of jump. College hockey is a lot different than pro hockey. They don't play as often in college, so when they do have a game these kids are like caged animals being set free, they absolutely fly and throw their bodies around. Pro hockey is a lot different.

I really like the idea that if they move on from Ryan Huska, that Nate Leeman be his replacement.

He's done so little in the post season with so much talent to work with in the past. I can't see him getting over the hump with the Flames no matter how much better our roster gets.

I wouldn't cry if he would up being the coach but wouldn't be thrilled either. I think he'd make the Flames better for sure, but I don't think he would get them over the hump.

We'll see. I suspected they would at least make an attempt but I also think if Boudreau has his pick between Ottawa- Minny or Flames I don't see the Flames being his number 1 pick. 

Columbus gave up a second round pick to get Torts. Face palm of the year.

Oh and it was reportedly to give Ryan Johansen a shake up. Then they trade Johansen afterwards. Double face palm.

Maybe RJ was shook up... so badly he demanded a trade. Stranger things have happened (like Torts trying to get into our locker room).

I like Nate Leeman, he seems like a good communicator and Providence plays with a lot of pace.

I worry though that maybe it's too big of jump. College hockey is a lot different than pro hockey. They don't play as often in college, so when they do have a game these kids are like caged animals being set free, they absolutely fly and throw their bodies around. Pro hockey is a lot different.

I really like the idea that if they move on from Ryan Huska, that Nate Leeman be his replacement.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Maybe have him or Lowery at the AHL level first. We could always promote from within later, but maybe they could help our prospect development.

Brad Treliving was asked about Ryan Huska by the Fan in terms of being a candidate. While I don't think he is a candidate Treliving did say he really likes him. i don't think Ryan Huska is going anywhere. 

Obviously the criteria for any new coaching staff will be the ability to employ the style of hockey management seeks, concentration on specialty team play and the ability to communicate well with this young core.

Looks like we can take Boudreau off the list, sounds like he's agreed to terms with the Wild! 4 yrs@$3Mill per season.

Well it's pretty obvious now that his firing had nothing to do with BH. According to any news source I saw, Calgary never even asked for permission to talk to him.i only saw Ottawa and Minnesota reported.

Burke did say they weren't rushing to one guy..even said if some names got hired while BT is away, oh well

I'm wondering if they might be eyeing John Stevens.. Or of the King's will even give permission. They told teams No last year

I am glad of that. He is off the list. We can pull him off of the poll now.

Is $3 Million a season kinda steep?

I am pretty sure that if you pull him off the poll it resets the count for all the other choices too. So leave him where he is would be my suggestion.

I may have to denounce my Flames fan-ship if we hire Carlyle. I never liked him in Toronto. He always sounded like a cancer in the media.

I think he is basically a hardass Hartley type. Works them hard BUT! Never had anything good to say about his players.

I may have to denounce my Flames fan-ship if we hire Carlyle. I never liked him in Toronto. He always sounded like a cancer in the media.

I think he is basically a hardass Hartley type. Works them hard BUT! Never had anything good to say about his players.

In a nut shell, dik.

I see and smell Burke all over this Carlyle interview.

Come on BT choose the man best for the job and don't get pressured into making the Flames a "boys club".

I'm going to repeat myself. I hope Burke's behind is moving along in a year or two.

I'm not a huge fan of Carlyle either..I just hope Burke doesn't try to hijack this pivotal decision. I could see Dineen getting a good look...especially with Brad Pascall having worked with Hockey Canada. Green out of Utica could be the type of coaching direction for the young core BT is looking for. Who knows maybe Marc Crawford is the new guy?

I am glad of that. He is off the list. We can pull him off of the poll now.

Is $3 Million a season kinda steep?

Entry level coaches supposedly earn roughly $700,000-$850,000 on their first contracts (unless you're Dave Hakstol who coached a North Dakota program that has better facilities than a lot of NHL teams and had very little need to leave), while more established names can earn upwards of $2 million; these are the big name coaches like Ken Hitchcock and Dave Tippett.

For reference, Todd McLellan got a 5 year, $15 million commitment from the Oilers with a similar reputation for getting it done to an exceptional extent in the regular season but coming up short in the playoffs. Boudreau is earning less than that per year, so all in all it's a very good price for a top 5 or top 10 coach depending on who you ask.

Quenneville is earning $6 million a year, and Babcock is earning $6.25 per, but beyond those guys nobody earns more than $3 million per year (which will change as the industry changes, we're going to see more and more high-level coaches being paid big money to do their jobs). So while Boudreau is steep now, I get the feeling that in a few years his contract will look very good (just like how player salaries coming out of the lockout after a few years aged very well).

Helpful resource: http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/nhl-head-coach-contracts-salaries/

In a nut shell, dik.

I'm going to repeat myself. I hope Burke's behind is moving along in a year or two.

I think we are just looking at due diligence here. Don't know much about the other guy but I agree Carlyle is not the coach that Burke and BT explained the blueprint is of. His team's aren't possession teams..black and blue, yes

I can see our top 3 as Dineen, Green and possibly Stevens if we can talk to him.

Burke made it clear it's BT's hire and he's not even in the country right now. He said that he and Conroy will scout and conduct some interviews while he was gone.

Another intriguing possibility is Torchetti..guy has done a good job as interim twice now and been passed over.

Archived