Trade: Hudler to Florida

Heartbreaker

Wish the return had been a little better, but maybe Treliving can use the 2nd as part of a trade package to get someone as an upgrade for one of the holes in the roster...

Hudler was a good character guy, and I'm sure he will be missed in the locker room, but the Flames have to start getting some size...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good trade. The Flames need to add some size to the top 6. We can't afford to do that and retail Hudler on a big contract. Remember the two trades last deadline gave us what we needed to acquire this off season.

Wish the return had been a little better, but maybe Treliving can use the 2nd as part of a trade package to get someone as an upgrade for one of the holes in the roster...

Hudler was a good character guy, and I'm sure he will be missed in the locker room, but the Flames have to start getting some size...

Agreed.  Hudler was skilled, but in a perfect world our #1RW should have size, speed and truculence as well.  The question is, who will that player be or who will grow into that position in relatively short order?

Agreed.  Hudler was skilled, but in a perfect world our #1RW should have size, speed and truculence as well.  The question is, who will that player be or who will grow into that position in relatively short order?

kind of ironic when you think of it.. we went years looking for a Center for Iggy..  now we are loaded with centers and looking for a RW to play with them :)

You never Know BB and BT might have a secret deal with Huds and he will be back next yr with a long term deal worth 4.5 and 5 yrs without a no trade clause. You never know and the term and amount is pour conjecture. here's hoping, I think he is a great mentor for those kids to men.

Are you saying we have a holes in the lineup?   :lol:

Pretty mixed feelings here.

Happy with the strategy.

Dissapointed with the return (but not surprised).

Raises the question of why we didn't trade him last year. Which we really should have. But that's a whole other debate.

Hmmm....

At the end of the day....

If we end up with Austin Matthews out of all this....it could still turn out to be a good trade.

Good trade.

Decent return on a rental that the Flames would not have been able to re-sign.

I hope that Trevling can also turn Russell & Jones into draft picks by the TDL.

Russell is looking for $4M + any speculation that Jones will take a huge pay decrease is just that.....speculation.

Im shocked people are disappointed with the return. Last year was a career year with highs hes never reached before and likely never will again. Huds is a 50 point 2nd liner not a first liner. He wasnt good in the playoffs last year and doesnt bring the size or grit you like to add for a playoff run. I think simply one 2nd would be a good deal but an extra pick on top makes this a great one.

Whatever our thoughts, just wanted to say that Hudler will be missed. Not only did he bring fantastic performance to this team, but his mentorship, leadership, and character will be sorely missed.

Thank you for everything Hudler, and best of luck!

Seconded. (About time we agree on something!)

I'll miss Hudler, he lacked size but you can't argue with his skill, especially when that 1st line was clicking. I was a bit disappointed with the return, I expected the 2nd Rd pick but seeing J Schultz trade net the Oilers a 3rd it stings a little when comparing what Hudler brings and Schultz doesn't. We'll see what the market returns if we end up trading Russell next

Whatever our thoughts, just wanted to say that Hudler will be missed. Not only did he bring fantastic performance to this team, but his mentorship, leadership, and character will be sorely missed.

Well said jj...

There is no conceivable way we get as good a player or teammate as Hudler with a 2nd or a 4th.  Sure, there is a chance we find a Gaudreau or Brodie, but that is so far down the road, and you don't get that experience or leadership in that range.  

I'm not against the trade or the return, but BT was concerned that the return might go down the closer we got to TDL.  He blinked first. but that is the way it goes.

Good luck to Jiri, a great pro, a funny guy and 1/3 of the best line in hockey in March 2015.  Hudreauahan will be missed.

In addition to being a highly skilled player who brought out the best of Monahan and JH, I enjoyed his qwerkiness.  Have to give credit to Jay Feaster for a good FA signing which isn't easy to do.

I don't hate this trade.  I think it had to be done as it was.  Any later, and his value would probable decrease to a 3rd or even the Flames management getting frustrated and losing him to free agency for nothing.  Pretty tough to get a 1st these days.

But I'd be more pissed off if I was an Oilers fan.  Essentially on paper, they traded a former 6th overall pick in 2007, for an 80th overall pick in 2016,

At least Huds was a free agent signing.  But all the best to him nonetheless.  Will always remember his Lady Byng speach while wearing no shoes.  Hudlarious!!!!

I don't hate this trade.  I think it had to be done as it was.  Any later, and his value would probable decrease to a 3rd or even the Flames management getting frustrated and losing him to free agency for nothing.  Pretty tough to get a 1st these days.

But I'd be more pissed off if I was an Oilers fan.  Essentially on paper, they traded a former 6th overall pick in 2007, for an 80th overall pick in 2016,

At least Huds was a free agent signing.  But all the best to him nonetheless.  Will always remember his Lady Byng speach while wearing no shoes.  Hudlarious!!!!

I think the Oiler's made out like bandits today.  Wasn't Purcell one of those guys advanced stats people loved a few years back?  The Oilers killed that logic in <2 years then flipped him for a low 3rd rounder.

I think the Oiler's made out like bandits today.  Wasn't Purcell one of those guys advanced stats people loved a few years back?  The Oilers killed that logic in <2 years then flipped him for a low 3rd rounder.

They made out like bandits by flipping Jultz for a 3rd. That alone makes them (Penguin) bandits.

...That's what I would say except they don't have a good record of non-first round picks. So the loot may turn out to be paper money.

Im shocked people are disappointed with the return. Last year was a career year with highs hes never reached before and likely never will again. Huds is a 50 point 2nd liner not a first liner. He wasnt good in the playoffs last year and doesnt bring the size or grit you like to add for a playoff run. I think simply one 2nd would be a good deal but an extra pick on top makes this a great one.

+1

I think those who are disappointed about the return feel we traded a 76-point Top 10 NHL scorer but unfortunately, the version of Hudler we traded is not that version.  Had we stuck to the rebuild and traded him at the TDL last year, we're probably talking a 1st round pick + prospect + roster player.  Or maybe even more since he had one more year remaining on his contract and it was a relatively cheap contract too.

Oh well.  I'm happy with a 2nd rounder.  To get a 4th too is a bonus.

+1

I think those who are disappointed about the return feel we traded a 76-point Top 10 NHL scorer but unfortunately, the version of Hudler we traded is not that version.  Had we stuck to the rebuild and traded him at the TDL last year, we're probably talking a 1st round pick + prospect + roster player.  Or maybe even more since he had one more year remaining on his contract and it was a relatively cheap contract too.

Oh well.  I'm happy with a 2nd rounder.  To get a 4th too is a bonus.

dc1ec7ddb72d65a2dbf63794d7fbceea.png

Pretty much the same return.  Is this underwhelming return for Huds or overwhelming return for Stemps?

Archived