Trade: Hudler to Florida

Heartbreaker

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to add the 2nd is in 2016 and the 4th is 2018.

Would have thought we could do better. GlenX went for a 2nd and a 3rd last year, and Huds is better imo. Plus given the haul Ladd brought, I would have pegged the value closer to two seconds or a 2nd and a prospect.

Hudler is a better playmaker, but Glencross had size and played a physical game, teams will pay a premium for those type players as it those type of players that make the difference in the playoffs.

My guess is with all the forwards on the market this year, that there just wasn't a huge demand for Hudler, so you take your best offer and move on.

Just to add the 2nd is in 2016 and the 4th is 2018.

Hudler is a better playmaker, but Glencross had size and played a physical game, teams will pay a premium for those type players as it those type of players that make the difference in the playoffs.

My guess is with all the forwards on the market this year, that there just wasn't a huge demand for Hudler, so you take your best offer and move on.

Saw that.  That's a strange pick to accept.  

I think the problem with Hudler too is he was really bad last year in the playoffs. I get he may have been hurt but the reality is the league is typically a what have you done lately. I don't think teams were every going to give you a first or a prospect for Hudler there is just too much risk. Also keep in mind up until the last month he has not been playing well

I get why they didn't do it but I really wish the flames would have moved him last offseason. I don't think he would have gone for a massive return but I think they could have got a roster player and a return that trumps what they just did. It's a real tough call though so I don't blame anyone and obviously I could be wrong and the return wouldn't have been much better than this.

I think the problem with Hudler too is he was really bad last year in the playoffs. I get he may have been hurt but the reality is the league is typically a what have you done lately. I don't think teams were every going to give you a first or a prospect for Hudler there is just too much risk. Also keep in mind up until the last month he has not been playing well

Keep gathering these picks and see what BT can turn them into later.

This is a reasonable return.  IMO, most playoff-bound teams are pretty set in their top 6 and are more likely to be looking for depth forwards.  (For instance, all of the other Flames forwards who are currently available -> Jones, Colborne, Jooris)

It wouldn't surprise me if someone picks up Jones.  He's a good 3rd/4th line winger who is defensively sound while having some offensive upside.  (Truth be told, Jones has always frustrated me.  When he has a bur under his saddle, he can be a pretty good power-forward.  He forechecks very aggressively and throws his body around.  Most of the time though, he plays a very vanilla game)

I hope some of the RWers in Stockton prick up their ears at this trade.  (I'm talking to you, Mr. Poirier)

I get why they didn't do it but I really wish the flames would have moved him last offseason. I don't think he would have gone for a massive return but I think they could have got a roster player and a return that trumps what they just did. It's a real tough call though so I don't blame anyone and obviously I could be wrong and the return wouldn't have been much better than this.

With the way he finished the season. BT had to believe Hudler would be a help to the team making the playoffs this year.  You don't want to take too many steps backward after a successful year.  Perhaps BT felt that missing Gio was the reason for the 2nd round loss.  Whatever.

Going to miss Hudler and his wacky interviews.  Hope they call up someone for a tryout now.  We are at 21 spots, with Russell included in that number.  6 healthy D-men (one injured due to be traded).  12 healthy forwards.  

CcP09jzW0AEGrgB.jpg

Not happy with this return.

Florida having a good season means that the 2nd round for Florida will turn into what, the 50th overall pick? 50th overall picks are not known to be career, impact players at the NHL level.

We needed a prospect in return.

Now, who fills that void on the top line and leadership in the room?

We don't have anybody who can fill what Jiri brought, I would have rather have just resigned him for 2-2.5 and let him finish off his career. The experts will tell you chemistry is hard to find, and Mony, Johnny, and Huds had chemistry.

Hudler will be a big loss with basically nothing of substance coming back.

Not happy with this return.

Florida having a good season means that the 2nd round for Florida will turn into what, the 50th overall pick? 50th overall picks are not known to be career, impact players at the NHL level.

We needed a prospect in return.

Now, who fills that void on the top line and leadership in the room?

We don't have anybody who can fill what Jiri brought, I would have rather have just resigned him for 2-2.5 and let him finish off his career. The experts will tell you chemistry is hard to find, and Mony, Johnny, and Huds had chemistry.

Hudler will be a big loss with basically nothing of substance coming back.

Resigning Hudler would have cost $5mill plus, you aren't getting him $2.5mill not even close. He was probably asking for term as well 4+ years and I wouldn't sign him for that long.

I am sure Treliving would have taken a prospect of one was offered.

Bottom line is we got market value or a little above for what Hudler brings.

wow that's what I call a kick in the teeth and it's not April first. We just traded probably our best point getter next to JH for a high second and a 4th in 2 yrs. Then Florida kicks us in the teeth by shipping him to Edmonchuck. I hope he resigns here next yr or we could be getting what we have been doing to Edmonchuck for so many yrs getting our but kicked. :wacko:

Gonna miss Huds!!! Was hoping we would have gotten a 1st for him but oh well. What # overall is the 2nd we get? Is it a early 2nd or a later one? If it is a later one then I think we could have done better.

It will determined by where Florida finishes in the regular season and playoffs.

wow that's what I call a kick in the teeth and it's not April first. We just traded probably our best point getter next to JH for a high second and a 4th in 2 yrs. Then Florida kicks us in the teeth by shipping him to Edmonchuck. I hope he resigns here next yr or we could be getting what we have doing to Edmonchuck for so many yrs getting our but kicked. :wacko:

They didn't trade him to Edmonton.

Archived