Trade: Hudler to Florida

Heartbreaker

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sad to see Hudler go, but it was obviously a necessary step in the rebuild. If he's willing to re-sign at a reasonable amount, I'd be happy for him to come back for a couple seasons, but I think there are teams that are going to be able to offer him more than the Flames (and more term), so I see the chances of that happening as very low.

I think a 2nd and a 4th is a reasonable return for Hudler as a rental. If we're talking about Hudler from last season, then that's way too low, but let's keep in mind Hudler has had a pretty rough season this year, and has really only elevated his game over the last 20 games or so.

Also, for those comparing this to the Glencross deal, let's keep in mind that that deal was an absolute STEAL for the Flames (I would say almost on the same level as Berra for a 2nd). I even thought so when the trade was first made, but with the benefit of hindsight, it's even more obvious, considering Glencross was barely any use at all to Washington and now isn't even in the NHL.

Resigning Hudler would have cost $5mill plus, you aren't getting him $2.5mill not even close. He was probably asking for term as well 4+ years and I wouldn't sign him for that long.

I am sure Treliving would have taken a prospect of one was offered.

Bottom line is we got market value or a little above for what Hudler brings.

Agreed. He would have been tough to afford. While I could have justified that price tag if he had even come close to last year's numbers (20-25-45 or something), I'd have said sure. But give the drop-of of play, its a bit high risk, given he'd also want term. 

We had to ship him. That said, the return I think is a little low. Obviously BT will take the best offer he can get, but I'm surprised that was it. I'd honestly have sat on it another couple days to see if there could be some kind of package deal or bidding war to increase the return. 

But the extra second this year may give us some trade possibilities at the deadline like we pulled with Hamilton this year. 

Now the question is who plays with Sean and Johnny? and who gets the callup? 

Agreed. He would have been tough to afford. While I could have justified that price tag if he had even come close to last year's numbers (20-25-45 or something), I'd have said sure. But give the drop-of of play, its a bit high risk, given he'd also want term. 

We had to ship him. That said, the return I think is a little low. Obviously BT will take the best offer he can get, but I'm surprised that was it. I'd honestly have sat on it another couple days to see if there could be some kind of package deal or bidding war to increase the return. 

But the extra second this year may give us some trade possibilities at the deadline like we pulled with Hamilton this year. 

I would shift everyone up, put Frolik with JG and SM. Jones with Ferland and Bennett . Jooris with Backlund.

Resigning Hudler would have cost $5mill plus, you aren't getting him $2.5mill not even close. He was probably asking for term as well 4+ years and I wouldn't sign him for that long.

I am sure Treliving would have taken a prospect of one was offered.

Bottom line is we got market value or a little above for what Hudler brings.

Hudler is NOT a 5 mill plus player anymore, and doesn't have age on his side as a bargaining chip to warrant a long term deal.

I would have been totally fine to keep Huds another 3 years at 3.5 which I am sure he would have taken to stay with his boys in Johnny and Mony.

We can agree to disagree but we will be feeling this if we are in the midst of another bad season next year, going "man I really wish we had a top line still" because right now, we have left ourselves a big gap.

Waiting is a risky move, we waited till the offers improved on Cammalleri and they never did, so we lost him for nothing.

There are a lot of forwards on the market this year, Eriksson and Staal may or may not be on the market so teams were waiting on them. Boedkker seems like he is generating a lot of interest more so than Hudler was. I think we did very well.

I want to see Frolik on the top line.

I would call up Agostino myself, but I can see Hamilton or Shore fitting positional needs a bit more, especially if Jones gets moved.

Hudler is NOT a 5 mill plus player anymore, and doesn't have age on his side as a bargaining chip to warrant a long term deal.

I would have been totally fine to keep Huds another 3 years at 3.5 which I am sure he would have taken to stay with his boys in Johnny and Mony.

We can agree to disagree but we will be feeling this if we are in the midst of another bad season next year, going "man I really wish we had a top line still" because right now, we have left ourselves a big gap.

I can't agree with you and I'm sure Hudler and his agent don't agree with you either on his value. Hudler is worth 4.5M all day long but I have to guess he was asking for term and closer to 6M which the Flames said no too.

Obviously BT will take the best offer he can get, but I'm surprised that was it. I'd honestly have sat on it another couple days to see if there could be some kind of package deal or bidding war to increase the return. 

Not to imply that I'm saying something you don't already know, but the obvious risk there is that in the mean time other teams might make deals on other players they're looking at, and then we end up in a Cammalleri situation, where no one wants our guy (or is willing to give up enough for it to be worthwhile to us).

You are dreaming if you think he was going to take less to stay in Calgary.

We can always offer Hudler a 3 x 3.5 contract in the off-season (or whatever, feel free to insert your own numbers depending on what you think he's worth). Would he be less likely to sign it since we traded him? Probably a bit, yeah. But ultimately whether he takes it or not would depend on whether he gets better offers from other teams. Which would be the same case if we kept him until the end of the year (except then if he walks we get nothing for him).

In all likelihood this offseason will be Hudler's last chance to hit a big payday, and he will be swinging for the fences this offseason.

The only reason he came to Calgary in the first place is because we offered him more money than anyone else.

Plus we offered him more opportunity to have a bigger role to play to his potential. That potential has just been met and he can ask for more.

Not happy with this return.

Florida having a good season means that the 2nd round for Florida will turn into what, the 50th overall pick? 50th overall picks are not known to be career, impact players at the NHL level.

We needed a prospect in return.

Now, who fills that void on the top line and leadership in the room?

We don't have anybody who can fill what Jiri brought, I would have rather have just resigned him for 2-2.5 and let him finish off his career. The experts will tell you chemistry is hard to find, and Mony, Johnny, and Huds had chemistry.

Hudler will be a big loss with basically nothing of substance coming back.

Crazy talking.  IF you could have re-signed him for 2-2.5 they would have, or maybe they will this summer.  But reality is he is going to sign for much more....

Figured he'd get us atleast a 2nd rd pick, the 2018 4th Rd is something we could package in another deal. A little disappointed with the return considering he's coming off a 76pts Lady Bing trophy winning season but he's off the books. If we really think he can still help us we can try resigning him in the off season.

You are dreaming if you think he was going to take less to stay in Calgary.

It's called the ole "hometown discount" for a reason.

Players settle into a community, they have wives, kids going to schools, friends, teammates.

So yes, players do take less to stay somewhere where they have established some roots.

People are making Huds out to be so greedy, and from what I have learned about Huds in his time in Calgary, is that he seems like a genuinely good person who takes pride in his team and loved the leadership he provided to the kids.

But I could be wrong, maybe he does value money more than anything else.

Figured he'd get us atleast a 2nd rd pick, the 2018 4th Rd is something we could package in another deal. A little disappointed with the return considering he's coming off a 76pts Lady Bing trophy winning season but he's off the books. If we really think he can still help us we can try resigning him in the off season.

I don't think the Lady Byng trophy helps his value all that much, especially going into the playoffs. If you are a Byng winner there is this connotation that you aren't a hard guy to play against.

It's called the ole "hometown discount" for a reason.

Players settle into a community, they have wives, kids going to schools, friends, teammates.

So yes, players do take less to stay somewhere where they have established some roots.

People are making Huds out to be so greedy, and from what I have learned about Huds in his time in Calgary, is that he seems like a genuinely good person who takes pride in his team and loved the leadership he provided to the kids.

But I could be wrong, maybe he does value money more than anything else.

From everything I have heard about 95% of the players in the league, is that when looking for a new contract that they look for money and term first. If the money and term are close they might stay where they are.

$3.5mill isn't even close to what he will get on the open market, and I believe he will get a 4 year deal.

I don't think the Lady Byng trophy helps his value all that much, especially going into the playoffs. If you are a Byng winner there is this connotation that you aren't a hard guy to play against.

From everything I have heard about 95% of the players in the league, is that when looking for a new contract that they look for money and term first. If the money and term are close they might stay where they are.

$3.5mill isn't even close to what he will get on the open market, and I believe he will get a 4 year deal.

True he will likely get WAY overpaid on the open market, and watch his production when he isn't playing on a first line anymore, and isn't playing beside one of the most skilled guys in the world on a nightly basis in Johnny Hockey.

Not a fan of shipping Huds and thank him for his great contribution to the Flames he has been a class act

but if there was not going to  a deal the Flames could live with than we got some return after all it is a business but the human side of me think this sucks.

The Flames can always talk to him as a FA if they want him back.

I would shift everyone up, put Frolik with JG and SM. Jones with Ferland and Bennett . Jooris with Backlund.

I'm really hoping Jones will be gone by the TDL. We could get a decent return for him and he definitely does not have a future here. 

Frolik is the logical choice to move up but I'm liking Ferland-Bennett-Frolik as a potential future line, so I'd like to see development there. But that said, we don't really have another top 6 RW other than frolik at this point. 

Waiting is a risky move, we waited till the offers improved on Cammalleri and they never did, so we lost him for nothing.

There are a lot of forwards on the market this year, Eriksson and Staal may or may not be on the market so teams were waiting on them. Boedkker seems like he is generating a lot of interest more so than Hudler was. I think we did very well.

I want to see Frolik on the top line.

I would call up Agostino myself, but I can see Hamilton or Shore fitting positional needs a bit more, especially if Jones gets moved.

Fair point I keep forgetting how many more there are on the market this year compared to the last 2 or 3. Still, one of those situations where you can't help but wonder. 

I wonder if Agostino or Hamilton would be more ready for top 6 minutes. Shore is the logical bottom 6 callup as he's done that role well in the past. 

I'm really hoping Jones will be gone by the TDL. We could get a decent return for him and he definitely does not have a future here.

Frolik is the logical choice to move up but I'm liking Ferland-Bennett-Frolik as a potential future line, so I'd like to see development there. But that said, we don't really have another top 6 RW other than frolik at this point.

Fair point I keep forgetting how many more there are on the market this year compared to the last 2 or 3. Still, one of those situations where you can't help but wonder.

I wonder if Agostino or Hamilton would be more ready for top 6 minutes. Shore is the logical bottom 6 callup as he's done that role well in the past.

Agostino is leading Stockton in scoring, he is a LW.

Hartley in the past has been hesitant to put young guys in top 6 roles right away.

Archived