I understand jjgallow's position, and I agree with him completely.  I think Andersson is the biggest wild card in the prospect pool.  In my opinion, he has NHL talent but AHL commitment.

Anderson was very good tonight. You guys are making a lot out of perception. Why don't you watch the games.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the Hate for this player ok hate is a little harsh but the way some talk about him is very disappointing. Wides in his prime was a great player on the D relied a pond hugely with his Junior team and in the earlier part of his career. There was a reason they grabbed Anderson before Kyl if they thought Anderson was so mediocre why would they grab him in the second 56 and Kyl 60? These scouts have many yrs experience in determining where these kids will project and were willing to let Kyl go by and grab Anderson yet we have ppl on the forums tring to say Anderson will be a AHLer for ever or never see the NHL. I know alot of these players never do make it but I think they got it right with Anderson can't wait to hear what the Haters will say then. He will become a NHLer in a Flames Jersey very soon.      

I don't get the Hate for this player ok hate is a little harsh but the way some talk about him is very disappointing. Wides in his prime was a great player on the D relied a pond hugely with his Junior team and in the earlier part of his career. There was a reason they grabbed Anderson before Kyl if they thought Anderson was so mediocre why would they grab him in the second 56 and Kyl 60? These scouts have many yrs experience in determining where these kids will project and were willing to let Kyl go by and grab Anderson yet we have ppl on the forums tring to say Anderson will be a AHLer for ever or never see the NHL. I know alot of these players never do make it but I think they got it right with Anderson can't wait to hear what the Haters will say then. He will become a NHLer in a Flames Jersey very soon.      

Easy zima, I don't think anyone is hating Andersson. If anything he may be a prime example of why they say it takes longer to develop a defenseman ready for NHL time. Many have to remember this is an age where weight and muscles are evolving with your frame and with today's training methods I wouldn't be to concerned. Andersson looked OK in this game with a flash of his talents on display.

The thing I want to know is how do you get "Shillington" out of Kylington, must be a Swedish thing. LOL

Easy zima, I don't think anyone is hating Andersson. If anything he may be a prime example of why they say it takes longer to develop a defenseman ready for NHL time. Many have to remember this is an age where weight and muscles are evolving with your frame and with today's training methods I wouldn't be to concerned. Andersson looked OK in this game with a flash of his talents on display.

The thing I want to know is how do you get "Shillington" out of Kylington, must be a Swedish thing. LOL

I thought Andersson looked like a vet out there.  Very little risky plays.  Some controlled risk.  Smart positioning and looking for the lane to the net.  He looks a bit more fit than last year.

Kylington's name is going to drive some announcers crazy.  Still some that can't pronounce Johnny Hockey's last name.

One thing I'm not liking is how Andersson is getting criticized by fans for still being the same weight as his draft despite being told to shape up. With what he has done, I don't see him being the same weight as the worst thing. He has turned that weight around though (basically turned bad weight/fat into good weight/muscle). He's even stated how he has hired a nutritionist, switched from eating 2-3 big meals a day to eating smaller meals but more often (likely in the range of 5-6 meals a day now). Seeing him on the ice, he has improved, but in the media scrums and stuff he looks slimmer (which would make sense if he has lost fat and gained muscle).

I still think he is going to be an NHL player, and while D-men take longer to develop, I see him in the NHL sooner rather than later.

• 2 months later...

According to Stockton he has 2 G and 8 A he is running neck and neck with Kyl got to love that I always thought they would play together on the bigs I'm hoping this will happen and not traded . you know keep 1 trade the other I know kyl is 2 A short but that can change in a blink of an eye. I am worried about Poirier never thought he would be out played by Klim to this point looks like Poir will not be long for this team. We know how B T does not resign a player if not going the right way. Like forwards more goals better play. Next season new picks and will need more openings. Sad but true.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Can anyone comment on Andersson's defensive game ? Would he be a good partner for Brodie next season ? Thoughts ?

I don't think so no. Being Brodie's D partner requires someone who can play around 20 mins a night and face top competition as well. Anderson's D game is Ok but not great and I definetly don't think its good enough to start playing 20 mins a night against top competition in the league. Also the other buzz on Anderson is what while he has improved his conditioning its still not where it needs to be so he is very inconsistent from game to game. 

YOur asking way too much to expect him to go from that to being Brodie's D partner. not saying he can't play in the NHL next year, personally still doubt it, but just emphasizing its a huge leap to play with Brodie. Those are tough minutes. 

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think so no. Being Brodie's D partner requires someone who can play around 20 mins a night and face top competition as well. Anderson's D game is Ok but not great and I definetly don't think its good enough to start playing 20 mins a night against top competition in the league. Also the other buzz on Anderson is what while he has improved his conditioning its still not where it needs to be so he is very inconsistent from game to game. 

YOur asking way too much to expect him to go from that to being Brodie's D partner. not saying he can't play in the NHL next year, personally still doubt it, but just emphasizing its a huge leap to play with Brodie. Those are tough minutes. 

If you are going to integrate Andersson in 2017/18, it would need to start at the 3rd pairing level.  Kulak/Andersson, Kylington/Andersson, Ollas-Mattsson/Andersson, Healey/Andersson would be where I would start if I was bringing him up to the team.

Saying that, we don't have a #4 d-man signed yet.  Maybe Stone will get re-signed.  Maybe they will look for scraps or a legit D-man in the summer. Maybe they will swap Brodie back to the RD spot and use a prospect as the #4D.   

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

THX cross for the input and I wouldn't dispute what you are saying could happen that he does another year in Stockton. Personally I am hoping BT resigns Stone and makes a trade for Schenn ARZ who has 1 year remaining on his contract.

59 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

THX cross for the input and I wouldn't dispute what you are saying could happen that he does another year in Stockton. Personally I am hoping BT resigns Stone and makes a trade for Schenn ARZ who has 1 year remaining on his contract.

I might be the only guy that thinks so, but I could actually see Ollas-Mattsson making the team, over trading for Schenn.  I am quite surprised that AOM is still only 20.  Schenn has looked 40 this last few months, but that might just be playing for ARI.  :D

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I might be the only guy that thinks so, but I could actually see Ollas-Mattsson making the team, over trading for Schenn.  I am quite surprised that AOM is still only 20.  Schenn has looked 40 this last few months, but that might just be playing for ARI.  :D

You could be right I don't know much about him. If we could use Stajan to get Schenn then we accomplish something we need to do IMO. I think Schenn could hold is own on the 3rd pairing and we as fans could put up with it for a year while AOM gets his feet on the ground here.

BT has talked about a few things recently that lead to even more questions:

- wants to bring back Engelland, possibly as an extra or 5/6 guy

- would like to find a #4, whether he feels Stone is that guy, afford him, or if he's even available

- would like 2 young guys on the team next year; didn't mention anyone, but you have to think it includes two of Kylington, Andersson, Kulak, Healey, possibly one of the pending RFA guys

- in the same breath, he talks about being ok with them tuminating in the AHL

- would like the AHL guys to force his hand

- may actually actively go after a #4 in trade or UFA marjet

The reason I talk about AOM is that he has played against men last season.  He's a defensive d-man.  He hits solidly.  I hope that he can make a transition to NHL ice this year, so he will be ready for the NHL next season camp.

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

BT has talked about a few things recently that lead to even more questions:

- wants to bring back Engelland, possibly as an extra or 5/6 guy

- would like to find a #4, whether he feels Stone is that guy, afford him, or if he's even available

- would like 2 young guys on the team next year; didn't mention anyone, but you have to think it includes two of Kylington, Andersson, Kulak, Healey, possibly one of the pending RFA guys

- in the same breath, he talks about being ok with them tuminating in the AHL

- would like the AHL guys to force his hand

- may actually actively go after a #4 in trade or UFA marjet

The reason I talk about AOM is that he has played against men last season.  He's a defensive d-man.  He hits solidly.  I hope that he can make a transition to NHL ice this year, so he will be ready for the NHL next season camp.

As a GM it is always good to have options however first and foremost his job is to improve the team and on ice performance. I think Stone is the type of partner Brodie needs in order to get the best from him, having said that Stone is nothing special. I definitely would over pay to keep him around.

Is AOM a RHS or LHS ? maybe he would be a good partner for Brodie.

I hate to think about what next year's team will do without a player such as Engelland around. Ferland isn't a fighter, Bouma isn't a fighter, we lose a real toughness if when he goes.

I do agree with the approach of having any player kicking the door down for an opportunity to the NHL team from Stockton. Kulak knocked on the door and gained some experience but of the other names I don't see where BT will be in a rush to have them up.

BTW the only way I would take Schenn into our scenario is if they take someone like Bouma or Stajan off our hands, BT can figure out the what else.

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

As a GM it is always good to have options however first and foremost his job is to improve the team and on ice performance. I think Stone is the type of partner Brodie needs in order to get the best from him, having said that Stone is nothing special. I definitely would over pay to keep him around.

Is AOM a RHS or LHS ? maybe he would be a good partner for Brodie.

I hate to think about what next year's team will do without a player such as Engelland around. Ferland isn't a fighter, Bouma isn't a fighter, we lose a real toughness if when he goes.

I do agree with the approach of having any player kicking the door down for an opportunity to the NHL team from Stockton. Kulak knocked on the door and gained some experience but of the other names I don't see where BT will be in a rush to have them up.

BTW the only way I would take Schenn into our scenario is if they take someone like Bouma or Stajan off our hands, BT can figure out the what else.

He's a lefty.  If BT was to move Brodie to RD, then he might be a good fit (style-wise) for Brodie.  I don't think he is quite ready for prime time yet. Could be wrong.  Stone has played okay in his time here, but I am not convinced yet that he is a #4.  Have not seen the offense from him, and I still see him making bad decisions on defense.  I like the way he plays though.  If Schenn was equivalent to that, then I would target him in the off-season (as you say, a trade of Bouma or something equivalent).

As far as keeping a fighter on the roster, that is tough to do.  Might as well just sign Bollig for that purpose and play him 6 minutes a night.  Maybe that is one of the reasons why BT wants to bring back Engelland.   

50 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He's a lefty.  If BT was to move Brodie to RD, then he might be a good fit (style-wise) for Brodie.  I don't think he is quite ready for prime time yet. Could be wrong.  Stone has played okay in his time here, but I am not convinced yet that he is a #4.  Have not seen the offense from him, and I still see him making bad decisions on defense.  I like the way he plays though.  If Schenn was equivalent to that, then I would target him in the off-season (as you say, a trade of Bouma or something equivalent).

As far as keeping a fighter on the roster, that is tough to do.  Might as well just sign Bollig for that purpose and play him 6 minutes a night.  Maybe that is one of the reasons why BT wants to bring back Engelland.   

Our D corp would look alot better if stone was playing bottom pairing mins with say engelland, and then bringing someone else in to play #4 next to brodie. I dont think id want to do that but someone like alzner would sure add some depth to our D corp if we were looking to spend money. If not someone like AOM might be a good fit going into next season depending how things go.

Archived