• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, pencil him in on the right side D in Stockton?

Right beside Kylington....

The D is starting to get crowded over there in Stockton.  I hope that they do something with Wideman and Smid.  We have 6 possibly NHL players even without them.  Nak and Joki included in the 6.  Bring up Spoon and see if he can split games with Engelland.

Definite logjam until Engelland, Smid, and Wideman moved.

Calgary

Brodie (LD/RD) – Hamilton (RD)

Giordano (LD) – Wideman (RD)

Jokipakka (LD) – Engelland (LD/RD)

Extra: Smid (LD)

Stockton

*RFA Wotherspoon (LD) - *UFA Nakladal (RD)

Kylington (LD) – Andersson (RD)

Kulak (LD) – Morrison (RD)

Extras: Culkin (LD), Kanzig (LD), Sieloff (LD)

Potential signing: John Gilmour (LD)

* = assuming re-signed.

Calgary

Stockton

* = assuming re-signed.

I think Nakladal more than impressed Treliving.  He will get re-signed and play in Calgary, or at the very least, get a 1-way deal.  Spoon has increased his value and hasn't looked out of place at the NHL level.  Smid may be kept as part of the 25% salary exposed rule for an expansion.  

Gilmour will not get a NHL contract offer.  There is a chance that he gets an AHL deal.  One of Culkin, Kulak or Seiloff will get traded this summer.  Kanzig is a home-run only type player.  He will get his chance in the AHL to show he can play the game with pros.

One player that may make the jump this summer is Ollas-Mattsson.  His injury status made him fall off the radar a bit, but he seems ready to come over.

Calgary

Stockton

* = assuming re-signed.

I'm more inclined to this line up given who we have.

Brodano

Jokiham

Smid/Wide/Engell

If we could move some contracts I'd like

Bro-Dano

Joki-Ham

T-Spoon/Kulak-Engell/Nak

Leaving Stockton with (potentially)

Kulak/T-spoon-x

Ky-Sson

Kanzig/Culkin-Morrison

extra: Mattson

I'm not sure who to slot in at the #1 RD though. I don't want to throw Andersson to the wolves but Morrison isn't good enough probably. Might have to have Culkin or Kulak/T-spoon play the off side.

I'd certainly try Jokipakka with Hamilton for an extended test, so as to keep Giordano & Brodie together.

There'd be no disappointment from me if both Wotherspoon and Nakladal are re-signed and play in the NHL all season.

We need to pray that BT can perform those miracles (moving two of Engelland, Smid, & Wideman prior to the next season).

Worst case, we might have to wait one more year.

I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that Kulak spent some of his time in Stockton at RD.

Most definitely don't want Andersson thrown to the wolves right off the get go, start him on Stockton's 2nd or 3rd pairing, and let him percolate in the AHL for as long as is necessary.

I have a strong feeling that he will reach his potential upside (1st or 2nd pairing RD & PP) during his NHL career.

I look forward to seeing him pair up with Kylington, though I'm not sure if there is enough grit between the both of them.

But, if they can both skate and pass above average NHL skill level, grit may not be much of an issue.

If the Flames happen to choose LD Chychurn at #6 in the draft, I can envision him pairing with Andersson in 2 - 3 years.

I'm leaving Ollas-Mattsson and Rafikov out of my predictions, until they actually sign a contract and come overseas.

I'd certainly try Jokipakka with Hamilton for an extended test, so as to keep Giordano & Brodie together.

There'd be no disappointment from me if both Wotherspoon and Nakladal are re-signed and play in the NHL all season.

We need to pray that BT can perform those miracles (moving two of Engelland, Smid, & Wideman prior to the next season).

Worst case, we might have to wait one more year.

I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that Kulak spent some of his time in Stockton at RD.

Most definitely don't want Andersson thrown to the wolves right off the get go, start him on Stockton's 2nd or 3rd pairing, and let him percolate in the AHL for as long as is necessary.

I have a strong feeling that he will reach his potential upside (1st or 2nd pairing RD & PP) during his NHL career.

I look forward to seeing him pair up with Kylington, though I'm not sure if there is enough grit between the both of them.

But, if they can both skate and pass above average NHL skill level, grit may not be much of an issue.

If the Flames happen to choose LD Chychurn at #6 in the draft, I can envision him pairing with Andersson in 2 - 3 years.

I'm leaving Ollas-Mattsson and Rafikov out of my predictions, until they actually sign a contract and come overseas.

I kinda gave up on Rafikov myself.  He supposedly earned honors in the MHL this year, but he seems to me to have regressed a bit.

Still have high hopes for Ollas-Mattsson, though.  He fits a need of a heavy stay at home player.  What I saw of him left me thinking he could make the transition to NA easily.

I kinda gave up on Rafikov myself.  He supposedly earned honors in the MHL this year, but he seems to me to have regressed a bit.

Still have high hopes for Ollas-Mattsson, though.  He fits a need of a heavy stay at home player.  What I saw of him left me thinking he could make the transition to NA easily.

More or less agree.

Rafikov was Really good in the MHL playoffs this year, that should count for something.   I would not call it a regression.   But it wasn't the ideal improvement one would hope for, and he was bounced around a lot  (never good).  

If he has similar struggles next year, I'd be losing interest.  But I think it is also a real possibility that he bridges his MHL success to the KHL next year.   Or preferably North America.

Similar high hopes for Ollas-Mattson.    His biggest challenge.....is there room in the NHL for strictly Stay At Home defensemen?   I think so.   Not on the top lines anymore, but there's still room.    And, he still has time to improve his offense.

Back to Andersson.....could you look into changing the title of this thread to spell his name right?  

He's been especially impressive in the playoffs.

In a nutshell, I think the number one reason he was drafted so low and passed over his first year, is that people doubt he'll be able to make the transition from junior to professional, and have the same kind of success.

On that note, next year is going to be HUGE for him.   If he successfully makes that transition, he jumps to one of our absolute top prospects.

More or less agree.

Rafikov was Really good in the MHL playoffs this year, that should count for something.   I would not call it a regression.   But it wasn't the ideal improvement one would hope for, and he was bounced around a lot  (never good).  

If he has similar struggles next year, I'd be losing interest.  But I think it is also a real possibility that he bridges his MHL success to the KHL next year.   Or preferably North America.

Similar high hopes for Ollas-Mattson.    His biggest challenge.....is there room in the NHL for strictly Stay At Home defensemen?   I think so.   Not on the top lines anymore, but there's still room.    And, he still has time to improve his offense.

Back to Andersson.....could you look into changing the title of this thread to spell his name right?  

He's been especially impressive in the playoffs.

In a nutshell, I think the number one reason he was drafted so low and passed over his first year, is that people doubt he'll be able to make the transition from junior to professional, and have the same kind of success.

On that note, next year is going to be HUGE for him.   If he successfully makes that transition, he jumps to one of our absolute top prospects.

He wasent passed over, he was draft eligible for the first time last season im pretty sure. While I agree with you it was some to do with the transition from junior to pro, I think there was other issues. I have heard lots of rumors that he is out of shape, lacks intensity and has troubles on the defensive side of the puck. He has done a good job improving on all those things, hes not ready to play in the show but I think he should have a good showing next year in the AAA. 

Sorry lol....had a senior moment with regards to being passed over...was thinking of his partner in crime, Manga pane.

Anyway the rest all still applies....and I agree on all of the above....especially the defensive play. But none of it is damning at 19 years of age.

It's all perspective. Some see him as a shot in the dark. Others have him penciled in on the Flames top line. The truth is definitely in between.

Sorry lol....had a senior moment with regards to being passed over...was thinking of his partner in crime, Manga pane.

Anyway the rest all still applies....and I agree on all of the above....especially the defensive play. But none of it is damning at 19 years of age.

It's all perspective. Some see him as a shot in the dark. Others have him penciled in on the Flames top line. The truth is definitely in between.

The biggest problem with a kid out of junior is adapting to a pro life.  Nutrition, physical fitness, off-ice life, difficult schedule...

Between him and Kylington, there is a pair of top prospects.  Both are under 20 and have played pro outside of North America.  Both could join Sweden in WJC this year.  Both have shown high-end skills at an early age.

Development and opportunity will play a big role in what they become.  

EDIT - would go back and edit the topic name if I knew how.... :lol:

The biggest problem with a kid out of junior is adapting to a pro life.  Nutrition, physical fitness, off-ice life, difficult schedule...

Between him and Kylington, there is a pair of top prospects.  Both are under 20 and have played pro outside of North America.  Both could join Sweden in WJC this year.  Both have shown high-end skills at an early age.

.... :lol:

Kylington can but Andersson can't. Andersson turns 20 years old this year so his last year of eligibility for the World Juniors was 2016.

I think first of all what is being drafted in the 2nd round "so low". 2nd round is turning into a very good round for talent so I don't think anyone should be "knocked" for going in the 2nd round. Andersson also went in the 2nd in a draft tha was considered very wide open after the first 15 or so picks. It was a pick your flavour type of draft after that.

I think Andersson went in the 2nd because while skilled scouts had a lot of questions on him. You can see his skill in he offensive side of the ice but what about defensive? Plus there are a lot of games he seems to take off and not play as hard so is that a situation of him not being challenged or does he get bored or is he just a not into it? Then you had some question his weight and his conditioning too. Add it all up and that many questions means one teams will rank you lower than others.

I think Andersson went in the 2nd because while skilled scouts had a lot of questions on him. You can see his skill in he offensive side of the ice but what about defensive? Plus there are a lot of games he seems to take off and not play as hard so is that a situation of him not being challenged or does he get bored or is he just a not into it? Then you had some question his weight and his conditioning too. Add it all up and that many questions means one teams will rank you lower than others.

Yeah.   In terms of talent, he was just as good as any defenceman in the draft.  Maybe...even...the clear winner (in terms of talent).

Other areas were lacking (which he has improved on to an extent).   Some he can't completely change (frame, height).

Most, he can.   Size, strength, intensity, defence, consistency, attitude, etc., etc., etc.   But, he's human.  Just because we can do something, doesn't mean we do.   Just because I'm on a diet, doesn't mean I'm not eating a bag of potato chips right now.  Granted, I'm not being motivated by millions of dollars, fame, swooning women, and success, to not eat the potato chips.

There are very few High talent, low risk players.  And there are none, after the top 5-10 picks in any given draft.

After the top few picks, teams can either draft:

-medium talent with low-medium risk,

-or they can draft High talent, at high Risk.

Those are basically the  two choices (with a lot of variation).    The Flames did the right thing last year by drafting the High Talent.  It Doesn't mean they'll all turn out.   In fact it almost guarantees that LESS of them will turn out.      Because humans don't change easily.   Even when they want to.   But they CAN change.   And that hope is the basis for this drafting strategy.   A strictly offensive, low intensity player, CAN become a consistent, defensively responsible two way player.

What's basically NOT possible, is drafting a medium-skill player, and giving them more talent.    Unless the talent was already there, and completely looked over, which is extremely rare these days.   For too many years, the Flames drafted low-medium talent.   And, a good number of these players DID graduate to the NHL, which is expected.  This strategy SHOULD result in churning out MORE NHL players.  On the third, and fouth lines, unfortunately.   And that, is basically, what forced us to rebuild to begin with imho.

You HAVE to love Andersson's potential.  But we should NOT be chalking him in to our future roster.   If he makes it, it'll probably be in the top 4, yes.  But you have to draft a few Rasmus Anderssons to get one who will reach that potential.   I think it's a great pick, and I'm hopeful.  But not Expecting anything (yet).

Kylington is a unique situation.    Kylington's development reminds me a little bit of what happened to Backlund.   His talent recognized early....and his ability to play at a high level, capitalized early.   Except, instead of being that star player in junior, he was assigned to duller roles in more advanced leagues.   So, a player which would normally have been used to being the star of the league by now, has spent 3 years struggling to stay on teams.   I don't think this is a great way to develop a prospect.  But hopefully, it works out a bit better for defencemen than forwards (ie., Backlund).   It may very well increase his chances of making the NHL.   But likely hinders his chances of reaching his full star potential.

• 2 weeks later...

He's my favourite Flames prospect.

I'd love to see him work his way up to 2nd pairing + 2nd PP in the NHL.

I have him and Kylington tied, but for different reasons.  This may sound crazy, but I see them like this:

Andersson ===> Gio

Kylington   ===> Brodie

Maybe the Kylington/Brodie reference is weak, but I see the elite skating helping him to become more like Brodie; good offensive instincts, but can cover the ice in a pinch.  Needs work on his defensive positioning but he is just a pup.

Those are not totally unreasonable comparisons and projections for the future (4 - 5 years?).

I'd be ecstatic if they both reached their ceilings as Calgary Flames.

I'd be very happy if they just became our future 2nd pairing.

I'm not trying to say they become as good, just the mold I see them fitting.  I am hopeful that they can become 1/2 the players our top guys are.

To me Andersson reminds me of Dennis Wideman in every single way. I'm probably the biggest Wideman hater on the forums, so that probably tells you what I think of Andersson.

Kylington will be a Sami Vantanen type of player.

To me Andersson reminds me of Dennis Wideman in every single way. I'm probably the biggest Wideman hater on the forums, so that probably tells you what I think of Andersson.

Kylington will be a Sami Vantanen type of player.

Curious of what you thought of Gio back in his first year back in the NHL.

Here's Gio's scouting report....

History

In two seasons with Owen Sound of the OHL, Mark Giordano had 97 points (32G, 65A) in 133 games. In his rookie season he was named to both the OHL and CHL Rookie Team.  After signing with the Calgary Flames on July 6th/2004, Giordano was assigned to play the lock-out season for the AHL’s Lowell Lock Monsters, where he tallied 16 points in 66 games. His sophomore season in the AHL was relocated to Omaha where in 73 games he had a team leading 58 points (16G, 42A). He also made his debut with Calgary, cracking the lineup seven times and adding one assist.

2006-07: The Toronto born defenseman played 48 games with the Flames, tallying 15 points (7G, 8A). He was a steady  defenseman for the NHL’s 13th best team, but some new defensive acquisitions saw his playing time diminish.

2007-08: After failing to come to terms with the Flames on a new contract in the off-season, Giordano signed with the Russian club Dynamo Moscow where in 50 games he has chipped in 13 points (4G, 9A).

Talent Analysis

The 24-year-old defenseman is by no means the Flames biggest defenseman (6’, 203 lbs) but still plays very physical. A year playing in Russia should improve his skating ability and sharpen his passing and puck control skills. These are two areas which scouts say he was already formidable at.

Archived