Does any one here believe Fox's rights will still be own by us this coming yr? Also does Vali really have the ability to be playing in the NHL with us in the 2018-19 season? Who do the ppl on this forum believe will be the next Flame Goalie to be our go to guy in thee prospect pool?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, zima said:

Does any one here believe Fox's rights will still be own by us this coming yr? Also does Vali really have the ability to be playing in the NHL with us in the 2018-19 season? Who do the ppl on this forum believe will be the next Flame Goalie to be our go to guy in thee prospect pool?

Fox will be signed by the Flames by the end of this coming season.  That's a guess, but it makes less sense to trade his rights than develop him.  

Valimaki could be in the NHL this coming year, but that's just opinion.  They don't have to.  He's blue chip, and you don't blow that on a quick win.  

Saying that, he could walk into camp and blow the doors off.  He could be instantly better than Kulak.  As good a skater as Brodie.  Still think you need to take some time with him though.  

Tough call on the goalies.  Rittich is the most stable.  Showed he could win games in a limited role.  The organization LOVES Gillies.  Parsons is the guy they are waiting for.

Rittich will probably be the next backup, unless they trade for Grubauer or Saros.

Flames own Fox's right for 2 more years, this season and next and then he would be eligible for UFA if the Flames are not able to sign him. For what its worth, at the ticket holder meetings Treliving said it was a joint decision to send him back for another year of schooling and they felt it was best for his development. Apparently he showed no inclination that the Flames are at all concerned about Fox and there is a good relationships there.  I agree, I think he signs next summer and turns pro if not they'll probably deal him. 

I think Valamki will be a Flame by the end of the season yes. 

In terms of Kylington I'll wait and see more come training camp but so far what has been holding him back is decision making. IMO, his hockey sense is avg at best and he makes a lot of bad decision and poor reads. He is a risk/reward style dman so unless he has made improvmenet in that area I don't think he is on the same level as Rasmus. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Flames own Fox's right for 2 more years, this season and next and then he would be eligible for UFA if the Flames are not able to sign him. For what its worth, at the ticket holder meetings Treliving said it was a joint decision to send him back for another year of schooling and they felt it was best for his development. Apparently he showed no inclination that the Flames are at all concerned about Fox and there is a good relationships there.  I agree, I think he signs next summer and turns pro if not they'll probably deal him. 

I think Valamki will be a Flame by the end of the season yes. 

In terms of Kylington I'll wait and see more come training camp but so far what has been holding him back is decision making. IMO, his hockey sense is avg at best and he makes a lot of bad decision and poor reads. He is a risk/reward style dman so unless he has made improvmenet in that area I don't think he is on the same level as Rasmus. 

Everything I have heard and read about Kylington through the year, suggests that he has made major strides in his decision making ability, but that he still has work to do in that area. Hopefully he gets some time in the NHL this year.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Everything I have heard and read about Kylington through the year, suggests that he has made major strides in his decision making ability, but that he still has work to do in that area. Hopefully he gets some time in the NHL this year.

I would like to think that they are beginning to trust Kylington more and more.  Some feel he is just about NHL ready.  TBH, offensive players tend to make more risk/reward decisions, so it comes back on them more.  Honest question - do you feel that players like TJ, Hammy and Gio make those same choices and get burned at least once per game?   

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would like to think that they are beginning to trust Kylington more and more.  Some feel he is just about NHL ready.  TBH, offensive players tend to make more risk/reward decisions, so it comes back on them more.  Honest question - do you feel that players like TJ, Hammy and Gio make those same choices and get burned at least once per game?   

I think Brodie makes a few risky plays a game, he quite often tries to force picks into areas where there just isn't a play to be made. 

Hamilton has great offensive instincts and I don't worry about him with the puck, it's away from the puck and defensively that is worrisome. 

Giordano honestly is about as mistake free as it gets for defensemen, I think he has elite decision making ability. 

Right now Kylington is closer to Brodie than the other two and is probably going to be very similar to Brodie through his career.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I think Brodie makes a few risky plays a game, he quite often tries to force picks into areas where there just isn't a play to be made. 

Hamilton has great offensive instincts and I don't worry about him with the puck, it's away from the puck and defensively that is worrisome. 

Giordano honestly is about as mistake free as it gets for defensemen, I think he has elite decision making ability. 

Right now Kylington is closer to Brodie than the other two and is probably going to be very similar to Brodie through his career.

Pinching is where I see Gio making those mental mistakes.  Mostly, it's just a risky pinch that he misplay at the line.  Hammy does that occasionally.

I tend to agree with you on the Brodie comp, though.  

Other than maybe Nik LIndstrom, I don't think there is a Dman i've watched that does not make at least a couple risky plays a game. IN the old game you could get away with someone like Regher and let him play it safe but I don't think you can anymore. 

Mistakes happen and they should. IMO, if you are playing it too safe it's probably just as detrimental to your team as someone who takes too many risks. I personally think this D core played it too safe last year and it really hurt the team. 

47 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Other than maybe Nik LIndstrom, I don't think there is a Dman i've watched that does not make at least a couple risky plays a game. IN the old game you could get away with someone like Regher and let him play it safe but I don't think you can anymore. 

Mistakes happen and they should. IMO, if you are playing it too safe it's probably just as detrimental to your team as someone who takes too many risks. I personally think this D core played it too safe last year and it really hurt the team. 

A great example is Bouwmeester while he was here. Although he made less mistakes, it really hindered his offence and didn’t utilize 100% of his abilities by playing it safe.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:27 PM, zima said:

None of your questions are on topic in this thread.. Why do you always think that any college prospect we have will flee to any other team?(it is rare that they do this)..

I asked ppls opinion and why is it when I go off topic ppl go off on me but I have been on many threads where ppl go off topic and not a word is said ? I get Im not really welcome on this site the fact my team is the flames makes it tuff. Due to what seems to be a little Bios on this site I really have toi watch my Ps and Qs I have been on here for many yrs and still treated like a beginner on here. I have seen many topics where ppl go off topic including realstic trades I don't say anything because I know it would be a different story if I did. I have watch and read for most of a season with out joining in on the topics I think I will stick with just reading to much Drama with this Board for me any way. Enjoy your little click.

49 minutes ago, zima said:

I asked ppls opinion and why is it when I go off topic ppl go off on me but I have been on many threads where ppl go off topic and not a word is said ? I get Im not really welcome on this site the fact my team is the flames makes it tuff. Due to what seems to be a little Bios on this site I really have toi watch my Ps and Qs I have been on here for many yrs and still treated like a beginner on here. I have seen many topics where ppl go off topic including realstic trades I don't say anything because I know it would be a different story if I did. I have watch and read for most of a season with out joining in on the topics I think I will stick with just reading to much Drama with this Board for me any way. Enjoy your little click.

You couldn't be more wrong.

I believe Fox will sign with us. I think Valimaki has a good shot, but we need to clear a spot or 2. I think Rittich is our next goalie, he needs lots of reps to get consistency/used to playing a lot more. Some think he isn't athletic enough, I disagree. Now that he sees himself as the backup, I believe he'll work towards being reliable and take on more work. He has to work his butt off on conditioning this summer.

As for the rest, don't worry about it zima, don't take things personally on the internet. It's not actually real and you don't know the person on the other side of the screen.

Heck, sometimes you just catch a person in the wrong mood.

One of my favourite insults is, "have you even played hockey before? Do even know how to skate"?

My favourite response is, "No", even though it's not true.

So it isn't just you zima. A long time ago there was a new thread by a new poster that was hard to read with spelling errors and weird phrasing.

It was a full page responses mocking him. So I asked where he was from. He was from Sweden and apologized for his English. Then everyone apologized and it turned into a thread.

You don't know who is on the other side of that screen or what their story is, so just keep it light or make fun of each other.

I think we should trade Hamilton, people can call me an idiot for that, maybe they're right, it doesn't really matter.

On 6/10/2018 at 2:18 PM, zima said:

All I pointed out is that none of your statements and comments were on the topic of this thread, which is Rasmus Andersson. 

I have no bias against you.

I also just pointed out you say the same thing about every college prospect, in that they are going to flee to some other team. They don't very often. JH didn't when you said the same thing about him.. I don't recall if you said Janks would flee, but he flee didn't either. 

Yes I have a fear and it is a fear that can happen probably not but can. As far as going off point you should read some of your own threads for instance Goalie it went from goalies to Hamonic and D to Prospect. I know that is what it is I see that when it happens with others nothing is said but I do it and your all over me.

19 hours ago, zima said:

Yes I have a fear and it is a fear that can happen probably not but can. As far as going off point you should read some of your own threads for instance Goalie it went from goalies to Hamonic and D to Prospect. I know that is what it is I see that when it happens with others nothing is said but I do it and your all over me.

Try to stay on topic zima.:lol:

I'm looking forward to an effective Kulak-Andersson pairing next year. I think that'll be a nicely balanced pairing.

22 hours ago, zima said:

Zima, the Mods are here to steer topics back to what the thread is about.  There are only a few of us, and sometimes the threads get off track so easily that it's hard to get them back on track.  The discussion was about Ras and how he could possibly make the Flames.  

There is a topic about Fox, which you had stated your fear about losing him.  People responded.  One person called you on it.  Janko signed here.  Gaudreau signed here.  Bill Arnold signed here.  We traded a guy who would have signed here.  It's what they do.  If the GM has some kind of fear of losing him to FA in two years, then he will trade his rights before then.  It doesn't have to be discussed over and over in different threads.

Back to the topic.  You have any thoughts about Ras?  He's likely the next Flames prospect to make the NHL full time.

• 7 months later...

Hard to believe this topic has seen little air play since last summer.

I guess that proves he is no longer a prospect as much as an every day player.

The way he holds the line is worthy of 2nd pairing.

He's the empty net mater.

Need a goal with the net empty?

Send out the Ras.

Need some shots from the 2nd PP unit?

Send out the Ras.

I love that he also has taken it upon himself to take other players to task for trying to injure our players.

He's never going to be a Bennett type fighter, but he holds his own.

I would like to see him finish checks more often, but he rarely takes himself out of osition long enough to do so.

Keep up the good work Ras, and you will be getting more goals soon enough.

Keep firing pucks at the net.

Archived