• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's looking really good. He actually had a more productive draft year than both Dougie Hamilton and Aaron Ekblad.

Offensivly yes...

Defensivly, not even close between the 3. Don't get me wrong I like Andersson but those 2 were far more accomplished in their draft years.

Offensivly yes...

Defensivly, not even close between the 3. Don't get me wrong I like Andersson but those 2 were far more accomplished in their draft years.

Ekblad was +7 in his draft year, with 53 points in 58 games.

Hamilton was +35 in his draft year with 58 points in 67 games.

Andersson was +14 in his draft year with 64 points in 67 games.

Not exactly a huge difference.  Andersson came out of Malmo in the Swedish Premier League.

Not exactly a huge difference.  Andersson came out of Malmo in the Swedish Premier League.

Agree, and Andersson looked very solid defensively in this year's training camp and pre-season.  The only thing I thought Ekblad had on either of them was he was a physically mature man early, while the other two I think are still getting there.

Agree, and Andersson looked very solid defensively in this year's training camp and pre-season.  The only thing I thought Ekblad had on either of them was he was a physically mature man early, while the other two I think are still getting there.

Ras was out of shape (supposedly) last year, but came in with a renewed vigor.  I don't want the guy fighting, but he is pretty solid for a young guy.

+/- is not a good comparable stat nor it is an effective way to judge someone's defensive accumen.

I'm not saying Andersson is a bad defender, just that he isn't in the calbire of Hamilton/Ekblad and he needs to work on his d zone coverage. Its "OK"  but not great.

+/- is not a good comparable stat nor it is an effective way to judge someone's defensive accumen.

I'm not saying Andersson is a bad defender, just that he isn't in the calbire of Hamilton/Ekblad and he needs to work on his d zone coverage. Its "OK"  but not great.

I haven't seen a lot of Ras, so I can't say his defense is good or bad.  Saw him in pre-season.  I also didn't see Ekblad or Hamilton in their draft years, so I can't really tell you how they compared.  

I don't mind Andersson, he has that calmness with the puck and high end hockey IQ that you come to expect from Swedish defenders. Really the only knock I have on him is his skating, it is average at best. I would be much more excited about him if he was a better skater.

I don't mind Andersson, he has that calmness with the puck and high end hockey IQ that you come to expect from Swedish defenders. Really the only knock I have on him is his skating, it is average at best. I would be much more excited about him if he was a better skater.

I disagree with this a whole lot. One of the best things about Andersson is his smooth skating. He doesn't have the explosive speed of Brodie, but his skating is very good.

I disagree with this a whole lot. One of the best things about Andersson is his smooth skating. He doesn't have the explosive speed of Brodie, but his skating is very good.

From what I have seen from Andersson, his skating reminds me a lot Wideman's and I think that will limit his potential at the NHL level.

I certainly would not put Andersson anywhere near Hanowski and Kanzig in terms of skating ability so no I definetly don't think its that bad and fo rme personally I dont' think its that bad at all. I remember when i saw Andersson for the first time I was expecting this awkward skater who would labor a bit around the ice (based on what I had heard) and I didn't see that. I think Andersson's top end speed needs a bit of work but in short areas (important for a dman) I think his skating is very good. He's pretty fluid on his edges so he can get around in space jsut fine, but I do agree that right now he doesnt' have the straight line ability to be a rush dman or something like that. Can improve over time though but I do agree if you are looking at a top end dman you want someone who has no skating concerns and while I don't hink Anderssons are as bad as people think, there are concerns.

He reminds me of Roman Hamrlik when he was here. Hammer was the last person you would want to bring the puck up the ice, but once he got into the defensive and offensive zones he was realy in his elements and his ability to see the ice meant he didn't really need to skate with the puck anyway. I see similar traits in Andersson.

I think Darnell Nurse set him straight on that one already.  Andersson will just stick to scoring goals from now on.

It was a mismatch for sure.  Nurse fought all the time in the OHL, while Anderson didn't.  

I forget though, was it Andersson or Hunter Smith?  I remember the Oiler troll going gaga over the exploding nose pic on Smith.

It was a mismatch for sure.  Nurse fought all the time in the OHL, while Anderson didn't.  

I forget though, was it Andersson or Hunter Smith?  I remember the Oiler troll going gaga over the exploding nose pic on Smith.

It was Andersson in the prospect tourney, but Smith in preseason.  I think Nurse had a target on him because of the beat down of Ras, I remember earlier before the Smith-Nurse bout Bollig had tried to get Nurse to go.

• 3 weeks later...

A little surprised that Andersson wasn't named to Sweden's WJC roster. Same with Oliver Kylington, Adam Ollas Mattsson was named to the preliminary roster though.

AOM is a lot bigger guy than our other two prospects, and is playing pro in Sweden.  He may fit the need better.  You might also say that we asked to get Kylington out of Sweden to play in NA.  May be some sour grapes there.  

Accoridng to Corey Proman (ESPN writer who covers prospects) he said the Swedes view Kylington and Andersson as more PP guys at this point and they felt they had that covered so no need to include them on the team. Sounds like its a fit thing more than anything else but Sweden's blueline is fairly deep their year too. 

Corey Pronman Retweeted Syphr

Gronborg (SWE coach) likes to have split on off and def dmen. Both are PP guys and the SWE pp is set.

Corey Pronman added,

Syphr @syphrtech
@coreypronman Any surprise that Kylington or Andersson didnt make the prelim roster?
0 retweets1 like

Retweet

More

Accoridng to Corey Proman (ESPN writer who covers prospects) he said the Swedes view Kylington and Andersson as more PP guys at this point and they felt they had that covered so no need to include them on the team. Sounds like its a fit thing more than anything else but Sweden's blueline is fairly deep their year too. 

Corey Pronman Retweeted Syphr

Gronborg (SWE coach) likes to have split on off and def dmen. Both are PP guys and the SWE pp is set.

Corey Pronman added,

Syphr @syphrtech
@coreypronman Any surprise that Kylington or Andersson didnt make the prelim roster?
0 retweets1 like

Retweet

More

If it was the final roster, I would get it.  

A little surprised they weren't considered for the preliminary.

If it was the final roster, I would get it.  

A little surprised they weren't considered for the preliminary.

Well keep in mind they arn't like Canada. they only took 8 dman so in all likelihood they will cut 1. they don't have as big a selection camp as Canada does.

The Scandanavia countries do this alot though, they don't necessarily take he best players they take the "right ones" and Sweden especially almost always favors defence over offence on their blueline. I'll be more concernd/upset if they arn't included next year. 

• 1 month later...

Watching Barrie play right now and during the pre game show they were saying that Andersson is currently playing at 220lbs. Treliving is at the game, I am guessing that he is going to sit down with Andersson at some point to drill into him the need to get his nutrition in check.

Watching Barrie play right now and during the pre game show they were saying that Andersson is currently playing at 220lbs. Treliving is at the game, I am guessing that he is going to sit down with Andersson at some point to drill into him the need to get his nutrition in check.

Is he struggling with his conditioning still? some guys can play at higher weights and be ok.

He is a guy that I would classify as having below average speed to begin with, so playing 10-20lbs over what he should play at isn't helping him any.

It's a little difficult to ask an 18 year old to manage their diets properly.  Once he turns pro, it shouldn't be an issue, nor should his conditioning.  He was a lot better in the summer, spending time with the trainers in CGY.

Archived