It's a little difficult to ask an 18 year old to manage their diets properly.  Once he turns pro, it shouldn't be an issue, nor should his conditioning.  He was a lot better in the summer, spending time with the trainers in CGY.

That's the hope yes but doesn't always. Ryan Howse had first round talent yet basically ate his way out of an NHL job because usually if you don't care about your diet or your workout it's because you don't have a burning desire to play the game. Not saying that is the case with Andersson and I have read from more than one source at he did take that criticism to heat and has changed but I agree with Jtech that it is a reasonable fear at this point. Andersson is probably a first round pick if he was I better shape last year.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a little difficult to ask an 18 year old to manage their diets properly. Once he turns pro, it shouldn't be an issue, nor should his conditioning. He was a lot better in the summer, spending time with the trainers in CGY.

Yes and no. The guys that really want it, don't have that issue. It comes down to drive. I hope it clicks for him and he gets back on the right path.

Is there somewhere where he is reported as being out of shape?  Or is he bulked up from weight training?

John Shannon mentioned on the broadcast that flames had a meeting with Amdersson and asked him to get s bit more serious with the weight and fitness. I've also read elsewhere that fitness level and weigh issues were a big reason Andersson was drafted where he was. Some questioned his commitment.

John Shannon mentioned on the broadcast that flames had a meeting with Amdersson and asked him to get s bit more serious with the weight and fitness. I've also read elsewhere that fitness level and weigh issues were a big reason Andersson was drafted where he was. Some questioned his commitment.

When did they meet with him? Camp?

Don't we all gain 20 lbs over the holidays?

That's got to be pretty rough on the kid though.  Got told he can't have any more turkey.

Was told he isn't allowed to eat all the turkey.

I'm not overly concerned prior to him turning pro.  As long as he looks after his fitness level.  He wants to play hockey and made a big sacrifice to come to NA at the age of 18.  That's a good sign.  

I'm not overly concerned prior to him turning pro.  As long as he looks after his fitness level.  He wants to play hockey and made a big sacrifice to come to NA at the age of 18.  That's a good sign.  

I don't know what's worse, being told no turkey or being allowed to eat turkey but not with any gravy.

But ya, shades of Andrei Medvedev here.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=56755

Last registered at 6'-1" 249 lbs...

Actually, turkey would be good for him. High protein, low in carbs, and good value for the calorie intake.

Really, he would be told never to touch the taters again. Alliteration ho!

The only question I have is how much of that weight is muscle compared to fat. I'm 6'3" and 209 and I assure you Andersson cannot be fatter than I.

Actually, turkey would be good for him. High protein, low in carbs, and good value for the calorie intake.

Really, he would be told never to touch the taters again. Alliteration ho!

The only question I have is how much of that weight is muscle compared to fat. I'm 6'3" and 209 and I assure you Andersson cannot be fatter than I.

What!? I am 6'0" and weight 185-190lbs. I suspect that most people would characterize me as pretty trim. I don't look chunky until I hit around 205 or so. I would assume that at your height, that is a pretty normal weight dude. I compare my body type to my Black Labs. My boy is pretty trim, but there are a lot of inerds to him. If he runs straight at you and jumps, he is going to send you flying like Dino from the Flintstones (sorry, that is likely a rather old reference for ya).  :D

What!? I am 6'0" and weight 185-190lbs. I suspect that most people would characterize me as pretty trim. I don't look chunky until I hit around 205 or so. I would assume that at your height, that is a pretty normal weight dude. I compare my body type to my Black Labs. My boy is pretty trim, but there are a lot of inerds to him. If he runs straight at you and jumps, he is going to send you flying like Dino from the Flintstones (sorry, that is likely a rather old reference for ya).  :D

Body types and bone size have a big part in how big you look.  I am 6'4" and anywhere from 215-225 without looking the least bit fat. Small boned, so I look thin compared to others.  Not skinny at all, just narrow.  Kinda like Colborne, well maybe a bit smaller.

My body fat percentage is at 19%. That's not very low. I'd have to get to 15%-17% to be in the average category. I have love handles, my stomach sticks out quite a bit, and my buttocks are huge (and not from squats). Worst of all, I have manboobs, the biggest shame of my life.

No, I've watched a lot of Flintstones and Jetsons actually.

Body types and bone size have a big part in how big you look.  I am 6'4" and anywhere from 215-225 without looking the least bit fat. Small boned, so I look thin compared to others.  Not skinny at all, just narrow.  Kinda like Colborne, well maybe a bit smaller.

Aye. Unfortunately, I'm cursed with the worst body type--endomorph. Let me put it this way, in high school, the football coach tried to recruit me for the O-line despite me never having played. That was when I was actually semi-fit (and played JV and Varsity soccer). That should give you an idea of how much mass I have and muscle is not the majority of it (assuming we don't include water).

Anyway, I feel I've put us way off course. I intended to make a point that he could weigh a lot but be fit. I should've just pointed out that Monahan is 6"3' and weighs a lot (wasn't he 250 at the start of last season?). If I remember right and he was at 250, that would put him as grossly obese on the BMI scale but we all know he's not obese but a beast. If you want to discuss the subject of me, just send me a PM. Sorry mods!

ONly think i will add is there is "fit" and then there is "pro hockey player" fit and those 2 things are not the same thing. Even if he is carrying 10 extra pounds its going to make a difference in his game. 

I'm betting he is in good shape by normal person standards but is not "pro hockey player" shape and the Flames know in order to play in the NHL you need to be in "pro hockey player" shape. Again thought at 19 I don't think this is a huge concern unless it becomes year after year and we are having the same conversation. That's where the Flames got into the problem with Ryan Howse but from what i've read Anderson did shape up a bit after being told he had to. 

ONly think i will add is there is "fit" and then there is "pro hockey player" fit and those 2 things are not the same thing. Even if he is carrying 10 extra pounds its going to make a difference in his game. 

I'm betting he is in good shape by normal person standards but is not "pro hockey player" shape and the Flames know in order to play in the NHL you need to be in "pro hockey player" shape. Again thought at 19 I don't think this is a huge concern unless it becomes year after year and we are having the same conversation. That's where the Flames got into the problem with Ryan Howse but from what i've read Anderson did shape up a bit after being told he had to. 

True, but muscle does weight more than fat. If we had an idea of what his body fat percentage was, it would be much easier to tell if he was in good shape or athlete shape. If the BF% is above 13, I would be concerned. If it was at 13% that be fine. 10% should be what he's aiming for.

Of course, he also has to be able to get down the ice quickly so his cardio could be bad even if the BF% was good. Unlikely, but possible.

• 1 month later...

I also wrote a post on Andrew Mangiapane's game last night in his thread.

So as much as I was interested to see Mangiapane play with his scoring prowess, I also really wanted to see what the Flames have in Andersson. There was a lot of opportunity to see his defensive game with the amount of penalties Barrie took, and he is positionally sound in his own end. He won't demolish an opposing player with a crushing hit, but he did use his body to disrupt opponent cycles in the defensive zone. He seems to quarterback back there, communicating with his teammates and defensive partner about where he expected them to be when any miscues presented themselves, or to discuss defensive coverage situations. There were some defensive lapses that I would attribute to his defensive partner not being in the right position, because Andersson looked really comfortable in the defensive zone. Offensively, he has better instincts than I anticipated. He makes clean breakout passes, and can hit his teammates stick in flight with a nice saucer pass over opponents sticks. He never seemed out of control with the puck on his stick. He also showed great poise at the opposing team's blue line. Knowing when to back off, but also when he could hold the puck in and still make a play with only inches of space to work with. He had a few shifts where he either kept the puck in at the line or pinched to retrieve the puck and create a scoring chance by passing to a teammate. He made a wonderful move on one pinch but they didn't get a goal on the play. Corny as it may sound, after that exact play he ends up looking my way while frustrated they didn't get the goal, but I just gave him the thumbs up, and approving clap for that shift and wouldn't you know that he makes a similar play on his very next shift, streaks down the near boards around the defender, and fires a laser beam of a wrist shot top corner glove side (despite being a right shot) and celebrates in front of me and my kid on the near boards after what ended up being the game winning goal! Hence, the first star, as Barrie battled back from a 3-2 deficit early in the third period to win the game 5-3 (with an empty net goal by Scott, giving him his 2nd goal of the game - he was the 3rd star). An incredible game, and a fun night while checking out some good Flames prospects.

I do also want to mention The defenceman Murray on the Barrie Colts as well. He played a strong and almost flawless game. I haven't looked him up yet, but I'm curious who has his rights. He's not a big defenceman at all, but he was very physical and positionally sound the entire night... I thought it was worthy of one of the 3 stars for sure. He interviewed between the 2nd and 3rd period. He reminded me of Russell and Regher if you can imagine a pit bull who isn't all that big but makes physical contact with every opponent he challenges, and can make a great pass/control the puck in his own zone. Impressed with that one game I've seen him play.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this weekend was the end of the reg season. In 64 games played he managed to be the top defenseman in the OHL in points with 60 not bad. Thought he was going to beat his last yrs efforts but missed a few games and seemed to have stalled a bit but none the less did great for his second yr here in Canada. Concrat's Ras. Can't wait to see you in the Flaming C

• 2 weeks later...

Another great 5 game stint for Rasmus 2g 6a 8p 12 sog pretty darn good for a D-man. I would like to say we will see him very soon as a main stay wearing the Flaming C . Keep up the great work ;)

Pretty impressive in the playoffs.

If he kept this up for another couple rounds, I would be forced to upgrade my opinion on him significantly, and change my opinion of our D prospect situation altogether.

But....we're not likely to see that.  As I write this, the steelheads are taking game 7.

Not enough games to re-assess the player but leaves room for some pretty big optimism next year.   Or Can Stockton bring him up now?

Pretty impressive in the playoffs.

If he kept this up for another couple rounds, I would be forced to upgrade my opinion on him significantly, and change my opinion of our D prospect situation altogether.

But....we're not likely to see that.  As I write this, the steelheads are taking game 7.

Not enough games to re-assess the player but leaves room for some pretty big optimism next year.   Or Can Stockton bring him up now?

That was game 6 today. Game 7 will be played on Tuesday.

• 1 month later...

Archived