Is the Draft Lottery Fixed?

ABC923

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Draft Lottery Fixed?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m also glad BUF did not win the lottery.  The management there did everything they could to strip that team down in hopes of finishing last.  Their ticket paying fans were even cheering for loses, what a disgrace.  It’s a shame Eichle is their consolation prize. 

Next year the NHL adds an additional lottery for pick #2.

I do think the NHL is extremely close to perfecting the drafting process.  Maybe all they need to do now is stipulate that no team can win the lottery more than 2 times within 5 years.

Well, this is pretty well the worst thing ever.  Pretty clear it wasn't rigged at least, barring some significant blackmail going on since Edmonton was just about the last place the league wanted McDavid.

Did some math by the way.  The collective odds for the oilers picking 1st, 1st, 1st, 7th, 3rd, 1st since 2010 amount to a little over 0.4% based on where they finished.  When you look at their odds of winning the draft lottery 3 times in that span, the odds drop to 0.214%.  

Perhaps the most depressing thing here is that McDavid could well be good enough to attract a couple free agents and pull the team into the playoffs next season.  Klown then gets to pretend he is some kind of genius for guiding the team out of the wilderness when he is in fact the dullest hockey mind in the game today.

I’m also glad BUF did not win the lottery.  The management there did everything they could to strip that team down in hopes of finishing last.  Their ticket paying fans were even cheering for loses, what a disgrace.  It’s a shame Eichle is their consolation prize. 

Next year the NHL adds an additional lottery for pick #2.

I do think the NHL is extremely close to perfecting the drafting process.  Maybe all they need to do now is stipulate that no team can win the lottery more than 2 times within 5 years.

Buffalo has been dead last the past 2 seasons, both times boardinged out of the #1 pick.

How fair is that?

Is it a practical joke? No, it's the NHL. We don't need practicality behind our jokes...

Really? You think Calgary is going to be competing for the first draft pick over the coming years?

:lol:

I think you should only be able to "win" a top three pick once every two years.

Yes, I think something like this is a good idea too or at least drop the team who had last years first overall to the 14th team's odds of just 1% for winning the next lottery - I am behind the idea that you should only get 1 first overall every 2-3 years... 

I would prefer that it be changed so that no team drafts 1st overall more than once in 5 years. I find it appalling that a team can suck for so long and still be rewarded year after year for said suckage.  IMHO it just proves that the system in place is flawed.

3 - 1st overall picks in 5 years with no improvement is an embarrassment to the team.  4 - 1st overall picks in 6 years is a joke and it's now the league that should be embarrassed. I am certainly enjoying the oiler boards though. They have a new supply of kool-aid to drink. And it gives Katzs' boys another 4-5 years of doing nothing to accomplish nothing. Well done!

Disgusting article on the front page of Sportsnet. I was hoping they were joking, but after reading it I found out they're not.

11082513_10155433316965532_3753284100599

^ The Laffs article? That's really strange...

It's the playoffs.  Five Canadian teams are in it and no Canadian in those five markets care about the Leafs right now.

So they HAVE TO write about the Leafs and post it on the front page just to be annoying.

There were suggestions that the draft pick be predetermined for all teams. Like each team is determined to have the no. 1 pick overall this year then the next to a different team then the next until you get to all the teams then do it all over again like a round robin.

This way there's no advantage to tanking as however you end up at the end of the season doesn't determine your place in the draft.

Of course I can see the pros and cons right away if the draft was done this way.

Why not a number of entries into the lottery that increases every year by a set amount based on your standings if you don't win?

I.e) last five places get five tickets, next five four, etc. Then someone wins the draft lotto, their count resets to zero, but the rest of the teams add the following year. So a team that was 28th one year and 24th the next, with no lotto win would have 9 tickets

The draft lotto is only part of the overall problem.  It rewards a #2 or #3 worse overall team by giving them a chance to grab the #1 spot.

The big problem is awarding any team in the bottom of the league a 1st overall.  I would be much more in favour of excluding a team that doesn't learn from its mistakes; Buffalo for so many years in the basement, EDM for racking up 4 in 6 years...

League parity is a falicy.  What we should have is a relegation.  You place last in the league, you can't compete the following year in the cup. Or the league bans TDL trades that strip a team down to the bones.  Buffalo did that so many years in a row.  EDM likes to say they didn't but did what they could to lose.

The real concern is punishing the teams in the middle

No. 

The real concern is the draft system creating hordes of fans like me who want their team to lose when they can't make the playoffs so that their team can draft a better prospect.  Take Buffalo this season for example.  There were reports over the final months of the season that Sabres fans in the Buffalo arena watching the game were cheering when the other team scores against them. This is wrong and the league should take full responsibility (because we know fans cannot take responsibility for themselves).

No. 

The real concern is the draft system creating hordes of fans like me who want their team to lose when they can't make the playoffs so that their team can draft a better prospect.  Take Buffalo this season for example.  There were reports over the final months of the season that Sabres fans in the Buffalo arena watching the game were cheering when the other team scores against them. This is wrong and the league should take full responsibility (because we know fans cannot take responsibility for themselves).

As Inigo Montoya said "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.".

:)

The best idea I heard was that the draft order is determined by who has the most points once they are eliminated from the playoffs. It still gives the worst teams the chance to get better, but instead losing, you are cheering for your team to win like you should.

You are never going to be able to control what a fan thinks so I don't think its the NHL responsibility to try and design a system based around the cheering patterns of fans. If a fan whats to cheer for losses so be it, because I can promise you not all fans would agree. Did I want high picks when the flames were rebuilding of course, did that ever stop me from cheering for them and celebrating goals, no. No systems is perfect

As Inigo Montoya said "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.".

:)

You're awesome FF Lol.  The Flames need more fans like you and less like me.

That said, this McDavid draft is a once in a generation opportunity and it's over and done with now (pending trades on draft day of course).  The Flames are also coming out of a rebuild so no more tanking.  It's time to grow the pieces we have and add to it as we build a championship caliber team.  No more tanking.  We're going to be on the same page moving forward from here on in.

You're awesome FF Lol.  The Flames need more fans like you and less like me.

That said, this McDavid draft is a once in a generation opportunity and it's over and done with now (pending trades on draft day of course).  The Flames are also coming out of a rebuild so no more tanking.  It's time to grow the pieces we have and add to it as we build a championship caliber team.  No more tanking.  We're going to be on the same page moving forward from here on in.

We are moving on, I see. Time to improve what we have and be a perennial playoff team. Interesting to see what happens with McDavid next year. The GM is giddy like a schoolgirl. I hope that Bob Nicholson fires the load of them and builds a proper management team. An I hope they hold back McDavid until he is ready.

Next year could have some stiff competition for Calder scoring. I suspect there is a name somewhere in the background that comes in and scores like crazy. I suspect he is a winger, though.

Archived