Is the Draft Lottery Fixed?

ABC923

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Draft Lottery Fixed?

We all know it is done behind closed doors in a very not transparent way.  Just wondering what everyone thinks.  On a related topic, who would have to win in order to prove in your mind that it was done fairly?  For example, if the oilers were to win again, I would actually argue it must have been done fairly because nobody likes Kevin Lowe and would not want to do him any more favours ;)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the lottery is totally fixed.

It will be interesting to see where the league wants McDavid to go.  Would they put him in a small market like Arizona or Buffalo?  Even if he succeeds in Arizona or Buffalo, it pales in comparison to success in a place like Toronto.  The leafs haven't had a marketable superstar there since Mat Sundin.  He could be the face of the Leafs franchise, an original six team, and most likely gets more global media coverage than Arizona or Buffalo.

Unless, the league believes the Leafs's market is already saturated and maxed out in potential.  So between Arizona, Buffalo, or Edmonton, the league could choose where McDavid would land.  Most likely Arizona to save their franchise.

Keep in mind, there are other teams in play.  Like, what if they rig the lottery for a team like LA or Philly?  That would translate into money.  Certainly, enough money worth rigging the whole thing for.

It is a game of chance. The best place for McDavid to save a franchise is ARZ. Buffalo will be fine with Eichel, TO is a joke all the time and requires no more media coverage. Really if McDavid does end up in EDM I will quit watching hockey, you can't keep feeding the bottom dwellers when they can't even arrange a 2 float parade.  

The results will be shown just prior to the Sat. game before the Pens & Rags.

I read somewhere that the thing is video taped with tapes available to all clubs. This year there will be a site available to media & fans.

If I find the article I'll post the link. If not hopefully they announce it during the release of the results.

In the meantime get your tinfoil hats on. :lol: Use 2 layers if neccessary.

I believe (but not confirmed of course) that the process is confirmed by Deloitte or some other audit firm.

If this is the case, I would say that it is legit. If not, then the results would be arguable at best, law suit material at worst. We are talking about "potential franchise prospects". Saying it is so doesn't convince billionaires.

When 10's of millions of dollars are at stake anything can happen. I want to see it live on national TV before I change my vote to NO.

The results will be shown just prior to the Sat. game before the Pens & Rags.

I read somewhere that the thing is video taped with tapes available to all clubs. This year there will be a site available to media & fans.

If I find the article I'll post the link. If not hopefully they announce it during the release of the results.

So is it a video tape of draw #1 or if the results are not what is wanted by the NHL draw#2 or #3 etc. What we are shown in a video tape is meaningless.

McDavid has already saved a sinking franchise in Erie.

So we need to determine what team benifits the NHL the most by drafting McDavid and we will have our lottery winner.

Ok, lets go through the conspiracy theory....

There are 14 GMs hoping for McDavid. Even 2% are 2%. McDavid is a resource that can provide financial success to a franchise.

If there would be a chance that this lottery is fake or the is not trustworthy, don't you think that the 13 GMs loosing McDavid wouldn't take respective action? The GMs are installing the system and all of them need to look for the financial success of the franchise as well.

With the way the NHL hypes and markets nearly everything it has in it's hands I am surprised that this annual event is not live. 

And that raises my suspicions of a stitch up.

I know nothing other than McDavids name and he can play some decent hockey.  is he a likely Lindros candidate that refuses to go somewhere?

When 10's of millions of dollars are at stake anything can happen. I want to see it live on national TV before I change my vote to NO.

So is it a video tape of draw #1 or if the results are not what is wanted by the NHL draw#2 or #3 etc. What we are shown in a video tape is meaningless.

McDavid has already saved a sinking franchise in Erie.

So we need to determine what team benifits the NHL the most by drafting McDavid and we will have our lottery winner.

Every team that wants to can have a rep @ the drawing.

The video will be available @ NHL.com after the announcement before game 2 of the Pens @ Rags.

How do they draw though?  The method is key because the lottery used to be done via a computer running random numbers.  Like what kind of rep are you going to send there to verify legitimacy of this randomness?  There could be a fix in the programming code that would take far too much effort and investigation to go through.

Do they reach into a clear see through glass and pick a lotto ball out of it?  But there will need to be thousands of balls in the glass jar.  And what about the NBA's "cold envelope" conspiracy?  Could the NHL have their "cold lotto ball" conspiracy?

Do they spin a wheel?  But what if there are weights and magnets installed to control the outcome of the spin?

If the whole episode is overseen by Deloitte, as was mentioned but not confirmed, none of your "fixing" parameters hold water peeps.

Add in all of these teams are insured, it's hard to imagine you'd be pulling fast ones in this day and age.

Threads like this get traction because we're ill-informed on the process, methinks.

How do they draw though?  The method is key because the lottery used to be done via a computer running random numbers.  Like what kind of rep are you going to send there to verify legitimacy of this randomness?  There could be a fix in the programming code that would take far too much effort and investigation to go through.

Do they reach into a clear see through glass and pick a lotto ball out of it?  But there will need to be thousands of balls in the glass jar.  And what about the NBA's "cold envelope" conspiracy?  Could the NHL have their "cold lotto ball" conspiracy?

Do they spin a wheel?  But what if there are weights and magnets installed to control the outcome of the spin?

When you buy a 6/49 ticket, do you worry about watching the exact drawing?  It used to be shown on a Quebec channel, and several lines of balls (1-9, 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49) were release into the tumbler.  After a random tiime, the door was open and they would start falling out one at a time until 7 numbers were released.

All of this was reviewed (audited if you like) by some firm that is independantly hired to be there.  I don't know if this method is still used, but the processes are verified.  There is no element of fixing that isn't certified.  We are talking about tens of millions of dollars.

If they devote that to mere money, then you have to have a little faith that teams would be demanding the same accountability for a "franchise changer".  Billionaires do not take that kind of thing lightly.

Normally, i would think there's no fixing that occurs.  But this is a McDavid year and that changes everything.

It's not going to be a group of billionaires bidding for the #1 pick and then the secret process gets leaked and the thing goes viral and erupts.  It's going to be one or two people like Gary Bettman on the NHL's side that weighs the benefit of fixing the lottery and then applies a slight of hand.

There is nothing wrong with you television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.

You are about to experience the awe & mystery that reaches from the inner mind to The Outer Limits.

There is a 5th dimention beyond that known to man. It is an area we call The Twilight Zone.

:lol:

What is with the massive permutation approach with 14 balls, pick 4, and determine winner?

I fully understand the simplicity of this approach but why not just have 1000 balls & assign the percentage of balls given the team lottery chances. I'm sure there exists a lottery ball machine that can handle a 1000 balls. :P

1  Buffalo Sabres 20.00% 200

2  Arizona Coyotes 13.50% 135

3  Edmonton Oilers 11.50% 115

4  Toronto Maple Leafs 9.50% 95

5  Carolina Hurricanes 8.50% 85

6  New Jersey Devils 7.50% 75

7  Philadelphia Flyers 6.50% 65

8  Columbus Blue Jackets 6.00% 60

9  San Jose Sharks 5.00% 50

10  Colorado Avalanche 3.50% 35

11  Florida Panthers 3.00% 30

12  Dallas Stars 2.50% 25

13  Los Angeles Kings 2.00% 20

14  Boston Bruins 1.00% 10

To determine the winner, the official lottery machine is loaded with 14 balls, each bearing one number, 1 to 14. The NHL Draft Lottery involves drawing one set of four numbers from the machine. One ball is expelled from the machine at a ten-second interval until four balls are discharged.

Without regard to the order the numbers are drawn, there are exactly 1,001 four-number combinations. Each of the 14 teams in the NHL Draft Lottery is assigned the number of combinations corresponding to the odds allocated to them by their regular-season finish (i.e., the team given a 20% chance to win the NHL Draft Lottery is represented by 200 of the 1,001 possible combinations, the team with a 13.5% chance is assigned 135 combinations, and so forth). One combination (11, 12, 13, 14) has been designated as a "re-draw," allowing for the division of exactly 1,000 combinations proportionately.

The part that needs to be fixed is not letting broadcasts drag out the simple announcement of a team name for a dang hour.

Especially when they're waiting to drop a puck for a game.

I'm glad it's not before 1 of our games.

Rather than adding drama they almost put me to sleep.

Oilers again. :rolleyes:

It's fing pathetic. How can one team get four first overall picks in six drafts? The NHL loses a lot of credibility on this one.

As for the Oilers, any success they have going forward is tainted. Any lack of success they have going forward is a joke. They are in a lose lose scenario now. Nobody will ever give them any respect. Not in this generation.

It's fing pathetic. How can one team get four first overall picks in six drafts? The NHL loses a lot of credibility on this one.

As for the Oilers, any success they have going forward is tainted. Any lack of success they have going forward is a joke. They are in a lose lose scenario now. Nobody will ever give them any respect. Not in this generation.

At least we know the draft isn't fixed. If it was, McDavid would have gone to the states.

Poor McDavid looked so crestfallen.

Archived