Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

Some of us have significant expectations for Treliving this summer. I would really like him to shore up the RW spot on the first line so that we can move a few players down the lineup.

Depends on your definiton of fit. Should we expect a top line RW, NO. Those guys don't tend to move often and i'm not seeing any available in FA so that is probably not a realistic get without making a bad deal. However I would say a top 6 forwrad who can play a few different roles is a very realistic get and I think its fair to hold Treliving accountable if someone like that isn't brought it.

More a question of what is the ideal fit. Does it have to be 1st line, can it be 3rd? Left hand vs right hand, goal scorer versus set up man etc. Many different ways that Treliving can short up his forward crop so I don't think it needs to be a top line option. For most of the season, the top line here was VERY good and it was the rest of the lineup letting them down. Completely reasonable approach to leave the top line alone and work on the rest of the lines in order to get better. 

• Like 1

On 2018-05-05 at 3:40 PM, conundrumed said:

I know for sure he was 1st line with Toews for a while, I'm just unclear on the bulk of his season.

Mangiapane's usage was retarded, he created a few chances right away, but you've got him with low talent anchors.

The terrible part of that is you put such low expectations on him, for him it's gotta look like little faith and he'll get little chance.

Which is what it was.

Peters seems to have a different attitude, at least from his comments like Anderson was a PP guy in the AHL so should be able to bring that, Brodie possible RD....   I’m hopeful that he gives guys a chance where they belong.  I guess the very first opportunity we’ll get to see him in any capacity will be development camp in July.  

36 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Peters seems to have a different attitude, at least from his comments like Anderson was a PP guy in the AHL so should be able to bring that, Brodie possible RD....   I’m hopeful that he gives guys a chance where they belong.  I guess the very first opportunity we’ll get to see him in any capacity will be development camp in July.  

I would think BP will be fast involved on his return to further analyse what is here now. Even though we are void of some first rounds of picks there could still be some wheeling and dealing to achieve heading into the draft. Every incoming coach will have positive comments about the players here but this doesn't mean all are keepers.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Depends on your definiton of fit. Should we expect a top line RW, NO. Those guys don't tend to move often and i'm not seeing any available in FA so that is probably not a realistic get without making a bad deal. However I would say a top 6 forwrad who can play a few different roles is a very realistic get and I think its fair to hold Treliving accountable if someone like that isn't brought it.

More a question of what is the ideal fit. Does it have to be 1st line, can it be 3rd? Left hand vs right hand, goal scorer versus set up man etc. Many different ways that Treliving can short up his forward crop so I don't think it needs to be a top line option. For most of the season, the top line here was VERY good and it was the rest of the lineup letting them down. Completely reasonable approach to leave the top line alone and work on the rest of the lines in order to get better. 

Well there's that possibility as well.  

I would say that a player that could play on the top line would be the best fit.  They could start on the 3rd line and solve that problem.  

Why I suggest that they have the ability to jump up is because Ferland struggled for part of the season, not just when Monahan went cold.

Sure they could go for a player like Derek Ryan, but that doesn't really do anything but replace a Hathaway or other.

I would prefer a C/RW to give us different looks.  Peters knows two players that could be a fit.  If he thinks they could, he might make that suggestion to BT.

One is a FA, while the other may be available for the right price.

With Dubas getting the Leafs GM job, many are speculating Mark Hunter won't stay and wants to leave. 

There isn't a natural fit here and I'm not sure how it could happen but that could be a coup of a hire for the Flames. One of the better talent evaluators in the league. 

• Like 2

I think one weakness of our front office right now, is that there isn't a guy outside of Button that is a scouting and drafting based guy. Treliving is a good GM, but as far as I know scouting isn't really his background, Conroy has done some scouting but is more being groomed to be a negotiator from what I can tell, Pascal is running the Heat and is more of a development type guy. 

Mark Hunter would be a great addition to the front office, I am just not sure how you get him here without giving him the AGM job that Conroy currently holds. 

I would take a long look at junior teams that have continued success and look at their GM's. I was going suggest Cam Russell of the Halifax Mooseheads as he keeps finding good talent in the import draft and has kept that team competitive for quite awhile now, but he just signed a 4 year extension to stay on as their GM. But I think that adding that type of guy could only bolster this team.

On 5/25/2018 at 10:47 AM, JTech780 said:

I think one weakness of our front office right now, is that there isn't a guy outside of Button that is a scouting and drafting based guy. Treliving is a good GM, but as far as I know scouting isn't really his background, Conroy has done some scouting but is more being groomed to be a negotiator from what I can tell, Pascal is running the Heat and is more of a development type guy. 

Mark Hunter would be a great addition to the front office, I am just not sure how you get him here without giving him the AGM job that Conroy currently holds. 

I would take a long look at junior teams that have continued success and look at their GM's. I was going suggest Cam Russell of the Halifax Mooseheads as he keeps finding good talent in the import draft and has kept that team competitive for quite awhile now, but he just signed a 4 year extension to stay on as their GM. But I think that adding that type of guy could only bolster this team.

When with Yotes he was in charge of their AHL team and scouted mercilessly. Whoever told you he does not know scouting or prospects did not know what they were talking about.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Who was our Euro head scout before?

I am not sure we had one. I don't think we have had a huge contingent of European acouts in the past. It seems like Treliving has identified this as an organizational weakness, and Look should help address it. Europe still seems to be the place where you are most likely going to find steals late in the draft, so expanding your scouting staff to see more European players just makes a lot of sense.

Small clarity note, Loob has been hired to head up European Pro scouting with a focus on Sweden. I'm sure they consult with him on the amateur side, but European Free agent signings sounds like it will be his primary focus. 

Best of my knowledge the Flames have never had a Head of European Pro Scouting before and i'm not actually sure they've had a dedicated European Pro Scout. They do have I believe 2 amateur European Scouts in Ari Haanpan and Bobbie Hagelin that are their European Amateur Scouts full time. 

Very good decision by the Flames to get Loob involved! As a former player and president of Farjestad he should have excellent connections/knowledge in northern Europe.

I remember several years ago, when Steinberg was still in charge of taking calls from fans after the games, he actually was one of the guys in the line. Steinberg was confused and thought that someone wanted to troll him, until another guy from the crew confirmed to him that he's speaking with the real Hakan Loob. Hilarious!

Was just cool to witness a former player calling in and showing he still follows the Flames. At that time he was also acting as the GM of Farjestad if I remember corrrectly.

I think we should have more than 2 European Scouts! If I go by their names, they have probably scouted Sweden and Finland for the most part. We should have one guy for Russia, one for the Czech Republic & Slovakia and maybe antoher for the Switzerland-Germany area!

15 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

One on one, yes.

The situation wasn't that. though.

Yeah it’s true. I guess every team has “there guy.” BP was BTs guy. But for me, this is where I feel like we patience can pay off. And a lot of things are starting to go back to how things used to be done that grew the mediocre. I am finding BT too hasty in some ways, and those decisions in those moments haven’t paid off. Until now it didn’t matter as much, but there’s higher expectations. As the expectations grow, so do mine and as does my criticism. 

Id have preferred he wait until the grass settled on all nhl playing. Even then there were grumbling Trotz would be available. 

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Yeah it’s true. I guess every team has “there guy.” BP was BTs guy. But for me, this is where I feel like we patience can pay off. And a lot of things are starting to go back to how things used to be done that grew the mediocre. I am finding BT too hasty in some ways, and those decisions in those moments haven’t paid off. Until now it didn’t matter as much, but there’s higher expectations. As the expectations grow, so do mine and as does my criticism. 

Id have preferred he wait until the grass settled on all nhl playing. Even then there were grumbling Trotz would be available. 

That assumes Trotz would want to come here and the Flames would pay a coach a top 5 salary (which is Trotz's request). History says they would not. What if Treliving waiting and got neither of them?

Personally, I don't think Trotz is the better coach. For me they are equal but also I don't think paying a coach that type of salary is worth it. 

• Like 1

Here's the thing. If we waited for someone like Trotz, we couldn't have gotten BP (BP exercised his out-clause in a contract, which in itself was just a 1-week window). If we waited, BP would still be in Carolina in some capacity.

7 minutes ago, Khrox said:

Here's the thing. If we waited for someone like Trotz, we couldn't have gotten BP (BP exercised his out-clause in a contract, which in itself was just a 1-week window). If we waited, BP would still be in Carolina in some capacity.

Yup.

That's understood.

We'd still be looking for a coach essentially.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It sounds like Trotz had a tough time away from his family during his time in WAS. So the question is, where is his family?  Where do they live?  If he wants to coach near home, is Calgary close enough?

His family was with him in DC. By most accounts this came down to money. 

32 minutes ago, cross16 said:

His family was with him in DC. By most accounts this came down to money. 

I heard his family had a tough time with him being in Washington during the Cup finals.  This was reported during the game.  Can't remember who it was.  Maybe fake news?  Anyways, doesn't matter now I guess.  Trotz says after consulting with his family that he would not return to coach the Caps.

I think he gets $6-mil-per in the open market.  His overall coaching record is impressive.