Sven Baertschi

JTech780

Where will Baertschi end up?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. N/A (Sorry I could't figure out how to clear the poll results)

2. 2. N/A (Sorry I could't figure out how to clear the poll results)

I think Sven goes and gets himself 55-60 points this season. 

I'm going to say he'll be a consistent 75-85 point player when he is around his peak, maybe a little more if one of the young centers develops extremely well, preferably Monahan.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he takes it to heart Sven becomes better.

I'm not as enamored of him as most so I'm not worried about Burke hurting his feelings. The talk only increases exectations. Now it's time to show he can actually do that.

He has talent but unless he shows heart all the talent in the world doesn't matter. Kent Nilsson was 1 of the most talented but only looked good in games he felt like it. You have to be in every game.

I really dont think this is a big deal. Burke stated that he saw some holes in his game, and gave an honest opinion. I really wouldnt say this is ripping him.

Hes a kid and gonna be a fine prospect. If theres problems with his game, work on it and help him improve. If he doesnt and we have to send him to Abby, then so be it.

Maybe this is the kick in the pants reality check the kid needs to get back on track, but in the long run Im sure he ll be fine.

I'm not really in a position, on this forum, to criticize anyone for being outspoken.

However, work is another story.   I'm not saying it's definitely right, or wrong.

I'm just saying that I think Baertschi should sue Burke for defamation, is all.

BURKE205_Oct1fb.jpg

Burke should sue you for defamation in regards to your post. 

Does Baertschi need a nudge to turn it up a notch?...   Sure, why not...   This is his big opportunity to shine...   and it is also in his best interest to take advantage of it...

Burke could have waited for a few games though...

Burke made a comment that in a market like Calgary you need to under promise and over deliver.  I think it is pretty clear that Feaster has been doing the opposite.  I think his comments about Baertschi are less about the player and more about the expectation.  Internally, externally, and with the player himself.  

Feaster needs to shut his pie hole.  Burke should help temper that.  

Huh?

remember he made a point of not accepting the Flames offer, when he was trying to prove that the defamation had affected his employability?   And how he made a point of how there were better opportunities he'd been passed over for?

His lawsuit very much so implicates his firing with the defamation, and the fact that he "settled" for Calgary with the defamation.

Then he comes here, and puts down our best prospects before he's even met everyone in the organization yet, and before Baertschi's even had a chance to play poorly in an actual NHL game.

Without getting fired, he has no real case.  that's why Hazel's not part of the suit, she's still employed and she weakens it.

And, I don't believe for a split second that he was fired over anything that happened on the internet.  Except maybe the nightly Leafs scores.

The Baertschi defamation was a joke.  But now that the jokes been killed and you've dragged the explanation out of me...

I feel it's actually the Flames fans that were defamed, if anyone.  And we're just nice enough to take it.

But he's not off to a very good start in my books.  For what it's worth.  If he manages to get us a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the draft, like he did with Vancouver once upon a time, then I'll have an instant change of heart, of course.  That is, if he doesn't follow that up by drafting a couple wimpy snovelling Europeans with those picks.

When I think of Burke, I think of a guy who used to make good trades (except for his last one).  The drama never helped him, however.   And it's never stopped following him.  

And Baertschi?  What?  Like, we haven't played an actual game yet.   Like what he says or hate it, there was no reason to say it publicly.  Like Baertschi didn't have enough distractions already.   There was absolutely nothing for a 20-year-old Baertschi or the Flames to gain from that at this stage of his career and at this stage of the season and at this stage of the rebuild.   Way too much Drama, imho.

I'm not really in a position, on this forum, to criticize anyone for being outspoken.

However, work is another story.   I'm not saying it's definitely right, or wrong.

I'm just saying that I think Baertschi should sue Burke for defamation, is all.

BURKE205_Oct1fb.jpg

http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/go/ProvincialCourt/Civil/CivilClaimProcess/BeforeYouSue/tabid/179/Default.aspx

You can not sue for defamation in Alberta.

Even if he could Baertschi would lose that case, as there is video evidence that points out that what Burke said is true.

I think what Burke is doing here is very similar to what happened with Kadri, and last season showed that Kadri is a better player for it.

Baertschi has till Cammalleri gets back to show that he heard what Burke had to say loud and clear, or else he will be playing a lot of the season in Abbotsford. If Cammalleri wasn't injured I don't think Baertschi would have made this team out of camp and from the games I seen he didn't deserve to stay with Calgary.

I think Baertschi can pull through this but I think he was starting to believe his own hype a little too much and he needed to be brought back down to earth. He might be Calgary's best prospect but that doesn't guarantee anything, you still have to put in the work and earn a spot, like Monahan has. 

remember he made a point of not accepting the Flames offer, when he was trying to prove that the defamation had affected his employability?   And how he made a point of how there were better opportunities he'd been passed over for?

His lawsuit very much so implicates his firing with the defamation, and the fact that he "settled" for Calgary with the defamation.

Then he comes here, and puts down our best prospects before he's even met everyone in the organization yet, and before Baertschi's even had a chance to play poorly in an actual NHL game.

Without getting fired, he has no real case.  that's why Hazel's not part of the suit, she's still employed and she weakens it.

And, I don't believe for a split second that he was fired over anything that happened on the internet.  Except maybe the nightly Leafs scores.

The Baertschi defamation was a joke.  But now that the jokes been killed and you've dragged the explanation out of me...

I feel it's actually the Flames fans that were defamed, if anyone.  And we're just nice enough to take it.

But he's not off to a very good start in my books.  For what it's worth.  If he manages to get us a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the draft, like he did with Vancouver once upon a time, then I'll have an instant change of heart, of course.  That is, if he doesn't follow that up by drafting a couple wimpy snovelling Europeans with those picks.

When I think of Burke, I think of a guy who used to make good trades (except for his last one).  The drama never helped him, however.   And it's never stopped following him.  

And Baertschi?  What?  Like, we haven't played an actual game yet.   Like what he says or hate it, there was no reason to say it publicly.  Like Baertschi didn't have enough distractions already.   There was absolutely nothing for a 20-year-old Baertschi or the Flames to gain from that at this stage of his career and at this stage of the season and at this stage of the rebuild.   Way too much Drama, imho.

Yeah way too much drama.  Not everything is a conspiracy.  A hockey boss called out a kid who needs to get his fire going, preseason, regular season, training camp, etc.  Plain and simple.

I applaud the man.

Feaster and Hartley acknowledged the same issues with Sven but sugar coated it. Sven got a wake up call last year, guess he needed another. We just got a taste of what maybe said in the locker room or behind close doors, you just got a taste, and some itty bitty feelings got hurt.

Everyone hated the country club attitude but when WE SEE from upper management that the BS for the past will not be tolerated, I applauded Burke. Nice to see that finally have some one with balls at the top that will enforce the teams motto.

Sven has offensive talent, absolutely no question there.

Sven gave Flames fans something to get excited about again, also no question.

Fans' desire to put Sven on a pedestal as "the second coming" was borne from the fans' hunger for something positive for this team.  This snowballed and got waaaaay out of hand.  The fuel to this fire was added by Feaster's public comments, or lack of addressing situations before they got out of control.

Burke has, justifiably, put his foot down in regards to Sven.  Yes, his comments are considered "brutal" in the era of PC-speak.  Yes, his comments are contradictory to the public's expectations, and are essentially a wet-blanket to everyone's hopes and dreams for Sven.

Burke has lit a fire under Sven.  It's up to Sven to either sulk and roast in the fire, or use the heat to prove Burke absolutely wrong and tear sh*t up this season.  If he sulks, he's not mentally ready for the bright lights of the big leagues.  If he busts his a$$ and proves Burke's comments dead-wrong, then he will become the superstar everyone wants him to be.

Burke's placed the burden of "show me" back on Sven, regardless if you agree or not with his method of delivery.

30-45 Really?!!?! He lacks a lot of experience and only has 25 NHL games under his belt. I don't understand all the hype around him feels like media has made him franchise player when his not at least not yet. Feels like his getting setup for failure.

I would be suprise if he breaks 30

Sven has offensive talent, absolutely no question there.

Sven gave Flames fans something to get excited about again, also no question.

Fans' desire to put Sven on a pedestal as "the second coming" was borne from the fans' hunger for something positive for this team.  This snowballed and got waaaaay out of hand.  The fuel to this fire was added by Feaster's public comments, or lack of addressing situations before they got out of control.

Burke has, justifiably, put his foot down in regards to Sven.  Yes, his comments are considered "brutal" in the era of PC-speak.  Yes, his comments are contradictory to the public's expectations, and are essentially a wet-blanket to everyone's hopes and dreams for Sven.

Burke has lit a fire under Sven.  It's up to Sven to either sulk and roast in the fire, or use the heat to prove Burke absolutely wrong and tear sh*t up this season.  If he sulks, he's not mentally ready for the bright lights of the big leagues.  If he busts his a$$ and proves Burke's comments dead-wrong, then he will become the superstar everyone wants him to be.

Burke's placed the burden of "show me" back on Sven, regardless if you agree or not with his method of delivery.

I don't really have any problems with the comments, since Sven's game was probably discussed by Burke, Feaster, and Hartley during training camp.  What I am not a fan of is having someone outside the coaching staff feeding them to the media.  If Ken King had said the same thing, he would have been roasted by everyone.  Burke's position is a little different from KK's old one, so it may not be a fair comparison.

Anyway, I hope that Sven is mature enough to rise above the storyline an prove he is a special kind of player.  Play him with Monahan and Galiardi (or Jones) and he should really shine, and help those two shine as well. 

I don't really have any problems with the comments, since Sven's game was probably discussed by Burke, Feaster, and Hartley during training camp.  What I am not a fan of is having someone outside the coaching staff feeding them to the media.  If Ken King had said the same thing, he would have been roasted by everyone.  Burke's position is a little different from KK's old one, so it may not be a fair comparison.

Anyway, I hope that Sven is mature enough to rise above the storyline an prove he is a special kind of player.  Play him with Monahan and Galiardi (or Jones) and he should really shine, and help those two shine as well. 

If King or Feaster had been the ones to say this, you are absolutely correct:  the media AND the public would be spitting nails right now.......but only because King and Feaster have a history of being soft, mushy, and often incorrect (or outright wrong) when it comes to speaking about players on this team.

Burke has no history with this team yet, but has history elsewhere.  He's always brash (so we expect it of him), and he's not often wrong (he's not always right, either, but he does have a decent track record), so we give him the benefit of his experience and let him make his mark on this team.

We may be at odds on how this was handled, but we both definitely agree that we want Sven to succeed.

Roger Millions had a couple tweets today on both the topics you brought up.

His first one was Sven commenting on what Burke said: "#Flames Sven baertschi says Burke's comments "they are good for me. When I guy like that says things, you had better listen."

His second one was on the line Sven might be playing on: "Baertschi and Sean Monahan on a line with David Jones. Very interested in how the kids respond. Monahan says he's nervous. #Flames"

I really like the look of that line tbh. Big bodied Jones to make some room/protect the younger two. Monahan for his defensive responsibility and great faceoff/puck possession ability, and Sven for his offensive talent. Could be a dangerous line.

If King or Feaster had been the ones to say this, you are absolutely correct:  the media AND the public would be spitting nails right now.......but only because King and Feaster have a history of being soft, mushy, and often incorrect (or outright wrong) when it comes to speaking about players on this team.

Burke has no history with this team yet, but has history elsewhere.  He's always brash (so we expect it of him), and he's not often wrong (he's not always right, either, but he does have a decent track record), so we give him the benefit of his experience and let him make his mark on this team.

We may be at odds on how this was handled, but we both definitely agree that we want Sven to succeed.

It's not that I think Burke is off base; I just don't want it to become a toxic atmosphere for guys like Johnny Hockey, Arnold, Gillies, Poirier, etc.  None of them are signed yet.  Keeping that stuuf out of the media is the best thing, in my mind anyway.  Johnny H has an uphill battle as it is, and doesn't need to have his family read or hear about an "honest" Burke assessment calling him crafty but not likely to make the team.  Point being - "read or hear about it".

It's not that I think Burke is off base; I just don't want it to become a toxic atmosphere for guys like Johnny Hockey, Arnold, Gillies, Poirier, etc.  None of them are signed yet.  Keeping that stuuf out of the media is the best thing, in my mind anyway.  Johnny H has an uphill battle as it is, and doesn't need to have his family read or hear about an "honest" Burke assessment calling him crafty but not likely to make the team.  Point being - "read or hear about it".

Definitely agree on the "toxic atmosphere" (nice description, BTW).  There is definitely a fine line between "tough love" and "disgruntled employees".

It's not that I think Burke is off base; I just don't want it to become a toxic atmosphere

Definitely agree on the "toxic atmosphere" (nice description, BTW).  There is definitely a fine line between "tough love" and "disgruntled employees".

This sums up my opinion on the situation as well...

I think its a little premature to be worried about it becoming a "toxic atmosphere" after a single press conference in which Burke called out a single player for showing a lack of commitment...

I'm pretty sure they are just warning against it, not as such saying that it's already present.  It takes a while for a toxic atmosphere to ensue.  I wouldn't read too much into it.

30-45 Really?!!?! He lacks a lot of experience and only has 25 NHL games under his belt. I don't understand all the hype around him feels like media has made him franchise player when his not at least not yet. Feels like his getting setup for failure.

I would be suprise if he breaks 30

Sven has 13 points from 25 games which is right on schedule for 30-45. It's a small sample size which includes a barren run and a purple patch but I think it is a pretty good indication he should break 30 if he plays a full year. If he gets decent minutes I think it's possible he could break 45. It's only a tiny increase in his current PPG. 

Archived