Sven Baertschi

JTech780

Where will Baertschi end up?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. N/A (Sorry I could't figure out how to clear the poll results)

2. 2. N/A (Sorry I could't figure out how to clear the poll results)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok better clear this up I guess he had a 7 game point streak that was in april that was the majority of his points he played 20 games so toke him most of his 20 games to produce 10 points and 7 of them in april hope that helps point out what I was trying to say so if he stays healthy and he stays in form of last yr he should finish with 40 points in 80 games if he stays healthy hopefully it was his first short yr and he can double his point perduction.

Ok better clear this up I guess he had a 7 game point streak that was in april that was the majority of his points he played 20 games so toke him most of his 20 games to produce 10 points and 7 of them in april hope that helps point out what I was trying to say so if he stays healthy and he stays in form of last yr he should finish with 40 points in 80 games if he stays healthy hopefully it was his first short yr and he can double his point perduction.

I actually agree with this zima.  I think 40 points for a healthy Baertschi is a fair projection, and he is certainly capable of a lot more points, or a lot less points than that, depending on his development.

I also expect more streaks.  He is shaping up to be a streaky player in his youth, and that's okay at his age.

so he's still available for the calder right??

Yep.  Due to games played.  He would probably need a good deal more than 40 to be in the mix, though.  MacKinnon seems to be guaranteed a spot with the Avs on opening night, so Sven will be in tough.  Hasn't even played a single PS game and Roy is already saying this.

Yep.  Due to games played.  He would probably need a good deal more than 40 to be in the mix, though.  MacKinnon seems to be guaranteed a spot with the Avs on opening night, so Sven will be in tough.  Hasn't even played a single PS game and Roy is already saying this.

I'm rooting for him and I think he's capable of it. :)

Can Mackinnon get more than 40?  Probably, but no guarantees there either.

I give Mackinnon better odds of getting 40 (they've both good decent odds of doing this),

But I give Baertschi better odds at getting 60.  It's not likely for either one, but Baertschi has that potential toolset now, while I think Mackinnon is another year before he's there.

I would love for Beartschi to emerge this year.   I really think he can do it, too.

If Baertschi continues with his lack of effort, he will be in Abbotsford this year. 

Woah....what's that....Baertschi's got two points in his first preseason game?  And a shootout goal?

What were you saying about something irrelevant before training camp even started?

Who knew this kid had talent?  Out of nowhere, I say!  Baertschi who?

Woah....what's that....Baertschi's got two points in his first preseason game?  And a shootout goal?

What were you saying about something irrelevant before training camp even started?

Hang on Mr SmartyPants.

Is he winning board battles? Puck battles?

Never doubted the O skills, but can he get tough enough is what I'm still waiting to see.

He can't expect to play the whole game in the open ice.

Hang on Mr SmartyPants.

Is he winning board battles? Puck battles?

Never doubted the O skills, but can he get tough enough is what I'm still waiting to see.

He can't expect to play the whole game in the open ice.

wait all you like, he's already on the Flame's roster.  guaranteed.

Did I make a post stating that all wars and famine had ended, and world peace had been achieved?

No I did not.   Be happy about a tremendous comeback, and that our top prospect is not in a rut, as some thought he might be, based on the junior series and possibly voodoo magic.

wait all you like, he's already on the Flame's roster.  guaranteed.

Did I make a post stating that all wars and famine had ended, and world peace had been achieved?

No I did not.   Be happy about a tremendous comeback, and that our top prospect is not in a rut, as some thought he might be, based on the junior series and possibly voodoo magic.

Agree with this totally.  He will be playing with players of his caliber so he should do fine.  I like how others complain about the scoring and effort in the rookie tourney, then he starts scoring and it becomes about board battles and other stuff.  Enjoy the scoring from him.

Agree with this totally.  He will be playing with players of his caliber so he should do fine.  I like how others complain about the scoring and effort in the rookie tourney, then he starts scoring and it becomes about board battles and other stuff.  Enjoy the scoring from him.

I was more about the lack of effort at the rookie camp. I thought as a (supposed) leader he should've/could've done more. I haven't doubted his offensive abilities. I am like Feaster on this one, in that it has to be consistent. The way he came out in the tournament was exactly how the Flames of recent years treated the season.

For me, what's the point of the tournament if it's just a bunch of kids playing shinny? I thought it was meant to showcase your skills and abilities to the organization you've been drafted by or are trying out for. I understand Sven doesn't have to showcase, but at the same time, he does have a lot to prove still in his ability to be a leader and so on. He said it himself, he wanted to be the next face of the franchise and be a leader. This was the perfecto opportunity to do that, and in my view, he didn't. 

I know that if he puts in the effort, he will get results. That's all I was ever questioning, was his lackluster effort and if it continues with the big club, he won't get anywhere. 

And JJ, I never said the kid never had talent. All I was ever questioning was the effort. 

^Yeah, I tend to agree.  Unless we fans want to see a return to heartless hockey, the key players have to be held accountable not just for the results but also for their effort.  If not, we will see a return to the "Country Club" atmosphere.  Baertschi is young and maybe the biggest hurdle a young player faces is consistency.  So, I'm not ready to write him off yet but I'm also not ready to give him a free pass. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Burke had a raving review about Baertschi today at the presser... Holes and attitude is his assessment.

Good.  The kid needed a swift kick in the arse with a frozen mukluk.  This lowers the fanbase's expecations of the kid, and SHOULD  drive Sven to compete harder. If Sven turns to sulking and in his play suffers, then he wasn't meant to be an NHL'er, plain and simple.  It was a great positional move by Burke to establish that the NHL nor the Calgary Flames aren't a country club.

Kadri didn't have the greatest opening season when playing with the leafs and took a little longer to develop.  Hopefully the young Swiss can do the same.

Baertschi has been overhyped since day one and I feel sorry for the kid. He's a fine prospect but he's not the saviour type and he has been touted as one. He is a solid prospect and nothing more yet were suppose to believe that he is this super prospect and it's because of his own organization. Interesting to hear Feaster say today he wished he could undo the call up that raised the expectations yet it was he who was touting that whole summer it would be the upset special if Baertschi didn't make their team. Once again Feaster talking without thinking gets himself into trouble and honestly from now on Burke should handle the media because Feaster sucks at it.

Baertschi has been overhyped since day one and I feel sorry for the kid. He's a fine prospect but he's not the saviour type and he has been touted as one. He is a solid prospect and nothing more yet were suppose to believe that he is this super prospect and it's because of his own organization. Interesting to hear Feaster say today he wished he could undo the call up that raised the expectations yet it was he who was touting that whole summer it would be the upset special if Baertschi didn't make their team. Once again Feaster talking without thinking gets himself into trouble and honestly from now on Burke should handle the media because Feaster sucks at it.

I would prefer that comments about a player be left to the coach and not the GM.  Hartley has a good working relationship with each player and knows what to say and what not to say.  All Feaster does is invite criticism when he speaks about player x.  If the coach does something different than what Feaster is saying, he looks out of touch.

Last season there was no training camp, so Sven didn't have the opportunity to show Hartley the best way to use him.  This year, there was more time to find out.  If Sven responds by lighting it up, Burke looks to be a genius for calling him out.

One thing with Burke he calls it as he sees it. Funny some have Sven as the next coming Burke calls him out. Feasters acknowledgement of how poor he handled Sven was good as well. After listening to them explain why Street and Smith still have roster spots was good to.

The hardest part of this for Sven is how he will react. I think there has been misunderstanding to what his role is on the club after listening to Burke.

lol, there isn't a game played in the season and all this bashing. Only regular season games matter, and after a few of them, you can start with the critics. I find it funny how people are acting as if his career is now in doubt and blabla. Very funny. He's a fine player and he'll be one of our best this season. This bashing has been ridiculous.

lol, there isn't a game played in the season and all this bashing. Only regular season games matter, and after a few of them, you can start with the critics. I find it funny how people are acting as if his career is now in doubt and blabla. Very funny. He's a fine player and he'll be one of our best this season. This bashing has been ridiculous.

THis.....

To me considering there was no preseason, and the fact the kid had a lot to deal last year with th e high expectations I think it is unfair to call sven out like that. He was the only rookie to have a 7 game point streak. He play a excellent job the last 15 games of the season. He was playing good defense and was pysical when he needed to be. HE was a leader when the young guns came up by leading with example on the ice and off the ice. Like louis23 said the season hasn't even started and Brian is eating sven alive. Mark my words this will either break sven or most likely push him to greatness in the long run. I'm not saying that he is going to get 777 points this year, but maybe this year he will get 45 then next year 60 then 80. He's already played a complete 2 way game preseason,  and put on 10 pounds over the summer to add weight to increase is defense, and physical presence. He's working on all 3 areas of the ice not just one. Maybe brain would be happier if we traded him to Toronto for  his buddy Jake Gardener .. Not impressed with Brain Burke's comments 

This.   We had much worse players than Baertschi in the preseason, many of which are still with the team.  

He's got 3 points in 4 games, and yes, there's some holes.   Who really cares?

Burke's comments were very odd, imho.   The context, and the audience, was unusual.

Personally, I think Burke is a smart man, and he has no intentions of being the guy that ruined Baertschi.

But in this case, he seems to have thrown a bit of a hazel mary, in the hopes of being the hero that saved Baertschi's career.   A gamble that could be described as riskier for the organization than it is for himself.

Hey, guess what has 25 million search results?

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=cr&ei=0GdKUurAJKWYyAGi8YDQBA#q=brian+burke+calls+out

Hmm.  Unsure what to think.

I have no problem with what Burke said. It's not like he questioned him as a player or as a prospect or that he doesn't have a bright future in fact I think he said the opposite. I took it as a challenge to a player to start living up to what he is capable of and to not take things for granted which is exactly what the organization has done with Sven to this point so it was nice to see someone challenge him rather than just roll out the red carpet like everyone else has done. Yes had respectable point numbers but in no way did he have a good preseason and especially not the type of pre season you would expect a player like him to have. I don't care how talented you are you have to come to preseason ready to work and on more than one occasion you would question that with Sven. It's all apart of development so I'm not worried nor am I putting him down but I personally think Burke was bang on

In the past Calgary, and Feaster in particular, have been guilty of over-inflating expectations of young players, for the fans, the media and the player themselves. I think this could be an exercise in managing those expectations which, in itself, is not a bad thing but the way he's done it with Baertschi is hardly likely to ease the pressure! He did something similar with Joe 'born-again Steckel' Colborne, albeit in a more subtle way. Not that Feaster's buying in just yet saying Sieloff will get recalled if Troy or Conny phones up and says he's dominating the AHL, we can't keep him down here anymore! The kid has zero pro games under his belt, the same number as Corban Knight whom he all but guaranteed a roster spot when he signed!

This.   We had much worse players than Baertschi in the preseason, many of which are still with the team.  

He's got 3 points in 4 games, and yes, there's some holes.   Who really cares?

Burke's comments were very odd, imho.   The context, and the audience, was unusual.

Personally, I think Burke is a smart man, and he has no intentions of being the guy that ruined Baertschi.

But in this case, he seems to have thrown a bit of a hazel mary, in the hopes of being the hero that saved Baertschi's career.   A gamble that could be described as riskier for the organization than it is for himself.

Hey, guess what has 25 million search results?

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=cr&ei=0GdKUurAJKWYyAGi8YDQBA#q=brian+burke+calls+out

Hmm.  Unsure what to think.

Imo I think if you ever call out a young player like that, you're in fault.  Sven was one of the steals of the draft, and if teams could rewind  he would have been picked in the top ten instead of the bottom 20. He put this team on the map again for young players, and was one of the reasons this fan base had something to be excited about. I think he's just not the kind of player that Burke would have drafted, and that's why he's beefing on sven. 

I thinking Burke is "beefing" on Sven because he's absolutely correct.  Sven shows flashes of brilliance and long stretches of appearing uninterested in the game, particularly in the neutral zone and defensive zone.  When talented players get babied and coddled they generally don't develop to their full extent. 

When Darryl Sutter was coaching here you didn't see any players get coddled.  Whether it was Iginla, Phaneuf, Ferrence, Donovan, Yelle, etc.  As a result, the team played a 200' game and were a pain in the arse to play against.  Teams didn't want to play the Flames because they knew that, even though they might win the game, they would have to work hard to do so and would likely pay a physical toll.  When Sutter was replaced as coach Iginla's defensive game went into the crapper and, eventually, the rest of the team (particularly the forwards) followed suit.  Another example is what Scotty Bowman did with Steve Yzerman.  Yzerman was an uber-talented, high-octane offensive star who couldn't find his defensive zone with a map, compass and GPS.  Bowman took over and made Yzerman into the complete player we remember his as.  That is when the Red Wings began their string of dominance which led to multiple Stanley Cups.

Sven is a talented player who will have success in the NHL.  But he's already developing some bad habits.  If Burke, Feaster and the coaching staff start working on his game he has the capability to be a very effective player in all facets of the game, and that ultimately leads to team success.  So, if Baertschi's feelings are hurt or his ego is a little bruised as a result of this public mini-lashing, so be it.  The country club in Flameland is over.  If the team wants to win and challenge for the Cup eventually this is the kind of culture that needs to be built from the inside.  I suspect that Baertschi will take this constructive criticism as it's meant rather than mope and sulk.  If he does, it will make him a better hockey player and will make the Flames a better hockey team.  If not, he'll be shipped out.

I thinking Burke is "beefing" on Sven because he's absolutely correct.  Sven shows flashes of brilliance and long stretches of appearing uninterested in the game, particularly in the neutral zone and defensive zone.  When talented players get babied and coddled they generally don't develop to their full extent. 

When Darryl Sutter was coaching here you didn't see any players get coddled.  Whether it was Iginla, Phaneuf, Ferrence, Donovan, Yelle, etc.  As a result, the team played a 200' game and were a pain in the arse to play against.  Teams didn't want to play the Flames because they knew that, even though they might win the game, they would have to work hard to do so and would likely pay a physical toll.  When Sutter was replaced as coach Iginla's defensive game went into the crapper and, eventually, the rest of the team (particularly the forwards) followed suit.  Another example is what Scotty Bowman did with Steve Yzerman.  Yzerman was an uber-talented, high-octane offensive star who couldn't find his defensive zone with a map, compass and GPS.  Bowman took over and made Yzerman into the complete player we remember his as.  That is when the Red Wings began their string of dominance which led to multiple Stanley Cups.

Sven is a talented player who will have success in the NHL.  But he's already developing some bad habits.  If Burke, Feaster and the coaching staff start working on his game he has the capability to be a very effective player in all facets of the game, and that ultimately leads to team success.  So, if Baertschi's feelings are hurt or his ego is a little bruised as a result of this public mini-lashing, so be it.  The country club in Flameland is over.  If the team wants to win and challenge for the Cup eventually this is the kind of culture that needs to be built from the inside.  I suspect that Baertschi will take this constructive criticism as it's meant rather than mope and sulk.  If he does, it will make him a better hockey player and will make the Flames a better hockey team.  If not, he'll be shipped out.

totally agree

With Sven's lack of "ambition" I'll call it this needed to be done. Maybe everyone has had their talk to him privately and it has come to this. Who knows but Sven himself.

In the poll I would have voted 0-30 but now will consider 30-45.

So thanks Burke for maybe an extra win this season.

Archived