Sven Baertschi

JTech780

Where will Baertschi end up?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. N/A (Sorry I could't figure out how to clear the poll results)

2. 2. N/A (Sorry I could't figure out how to clear the poll results)

I put him down for up to 45 pts. I am a pessimist who is happy if he reaches or exceeds expectations. :) A part of me thinks, the games he went on a streak were all meaningless games and teams were taking the Flames lightly. We'll see how it goes. 

I also put him down to 65points at his peak. This all depends on a lot of things. He's still developing. A part of me doesn't want to have those expectations. I know he's not Backlund, but I still think a lot of us on here have really high expectations of Backlund's ceiling. I hope they're right. I'd be happy if Backlund became a consistent 50+ point guy, and the same goes with Baertschi. Although, for me, 60+ would be great.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he can get 35 + this year is a solid year for him. The future I see him peaking at 45 to best 60. He will be a solid player but I don't see him in that elite category everyone else is wishing for. This team has a huge vacancy for that elite player and a true leader, each will be given a chance to prove themselves where it counts, the ice.

He kind of disappointed me last year. Baertschi came into camp complacent and thought the job was his. Management for the most part guaranteed he was going to be on the roster and it seemed to affect his play early. He had to go back to Abby. It's a good learning experience, but I didn't really like that.

From some of you guys, it sounds like he could have done a better job at Development Camp this year too. IS it due to the fact that there are other players now that are up to his ability though, therefore he doesn't stand out as much? Which would be a good thing.

It's due to the fact that he actually IS guaranteed a roster spot this year (unofficially), and his participation at the development camp meant literally nothing in terms of him making the team.   Compare that to other players, who were fighting for a roster spot or to prove themselves to the organization.  If we had put Cammy out there, it would have been the same thing.

He was more there as a mentor, and for other players to measure themselves up to.  And, for the fact that many of the players in development camp may be playing with Baertschi for the rest of their career, they were looking to establish chemistry.  There were, in fact, some players who took cheap shots on Baertschi, looking for attention.

Baertschi was quoted as saying his focus was main camp, not dev camp.

Personally, I thought he looked strong and physical.  I wasn't worried about how many points he put up.  We already know he can do that.  I liked the physicallity he brought, and that is one of the reasons I think he is going to emerge this year.

I think that it's quite possible that Baertschi could have his breakout year this season...

My biggest concern is that he's injured again this season.  The same goes for Backlund.  It seems these young Europeans are made of glass.  I just want one good season without injury from either of these players and see what they are actually made of in an 82 game schedule.

That is also of course if Hartley can get his sh*t together and stick with a line or 4 during the season.

My biggest concern is that he's injured again this season.  The same goes for Backlund.  It seems these young Europeans are made of glass.  I just want one good season without injury from either of these players and see what they are actually made of in an 82 game schedule.

665e424c6d04e578fa90a60a36c430bc.png

That is also of course if Hartley can get his sh*t together and stick with a line or 4 during the season.

Maybe I should email this to Hartley...

d8b74c166bef111a8a0bf125898f9f64.png

4d74e7c972a8e7b5304c7f0afaf58d20.png

Maybe I should email this to Hartley...

d8b74c166bef111a8a0bf125898f9f64.png

4d74e7c972a8e7b5304c7f0afaf58d20.png

I don't think he understands the definition of Chemistry.  Last year it was like he was some mad scientist trying to concoct some recipe for the "perfect line."  He didn't seem to find one, but when he finds that "perfect line" i'm sure he thinks it will come "ALIVE I TELL YOU.....ALIVE!!!!!   AHAHAHAHHAAH!!!!!"

2r5t25z.jpg

(It's really amazing what 5 minutes in PS and a few google images will do. :D)

However, for the best success of Baertschi and Backlund, they need to stick with line-mates they can both grow some chemistry with.  That's the best recipe for success, and turning Baertschi into the upper echelon scorer he projects to be.

If you want to see the same players on the same lines you are going to have to look elsewhere. It will only get worse this coming season compared to last.

We have way too many new players on the team that we(Hartley) needs to find out what they are capable of so expect lots of people shuffled up and down the lineup and lots of people playing with everyone.

Besides that  playing the same lines together isn't good strategy anymore, it just makes it easier for the other teams to match lines and checkers against us..

If you want to see the same players on the same lines you are going to have to look elsewhere. It will only get worse this coming season compared to last.

We have way too many new players on the team that we(Hartley) needs to find out what they are capable of so expect lots of people shuffled up and down the lineup and lots of people playing with everyone.

Besides that  playing the same lines together isn't good strategy anymore, it just makes it easier for the other teams to match lines and checkers against us..

I fully expect Hartley to mismatch the lines all year. It's his style, and no, I'm not a fan. 

Lines are always a chess match during games, and that's why lineups are made before hand, to counter the other team's arsenal.  But they need to be set before a game and adjusted, if need be, on the fly.

But I disagree that mixing lines is the best outcome.  Maybe once in a while during a game, but not every 2nd shift.  It doesn't bode well for chemistry with anyone.

In this case, it's Sven.

It's going to be a "character building" year.  

Sven will have to make the players around him better.  A LOT better.

If Cammy stays, I can see him switching to center this year.  Leaving a spot wide open for Baertschi on the first line.  Many possibilities, and Hartley will try them all.  Hopefully something works for Baertschi.

Or, it could be Sven and Horak, or Sven and Backlund.

If Sven didn't get caught with his head down so much, I'd say he should be the one going to center.  But that's unlikely.

I truly believe that he will emerge this year, although I cannot begin to guess what line combination will work the best.

Personally I find chemistry or line chemistry to be one of the ore overrated fan and message board topics and I don't personally believe in it that much because that concludes that night in and night out everyone on th at line is going to be at their best and warrant keeping? I think the goal is to find pairs and find guys that have good chemistry and then be able to rotate a third in there depending on the night and who is feeling it and if it happens to work as a unit great but don't stick with if its not working just because you think it could eventually I develop chemistry. I like Hartley in that regard hell stick with it if its working but if its not he's going to switch it up and I think most good coaches would too.

Therre were times at development camp where Baertschi completely took over be game or drill they were doing so I'm not concerned about it. Sure you so use hope he would do that all time but I can also see from his perspective it would be hard to really bring you best knowing your best is going to be needed later, not now.

Personally I find chemistry or line chemistry to be one of the ore overrated fan and message board topics and I don't personally believe in it that much because that concludes that night in and night out everyone on th at line is going to be at their best and warrant keeping?

I think the goal is to find pairs and find guys that have good chemistry

:unsure:

and then be able to rotate a third in there depending on the night and who is feeling it and if it happens to work as a unit great but don't stick with if its not working just because you think it could eventually I develop chemistry

I agree, and don't recall saying to never try new combinations...   It is a part of finding combinations that can develop chemistry...

. I like Hartley in that regard hell stick with it if its working but if its not he's going to switch it up and I think most good coaches would too.

It's just my opinion, but Hartley did too much juggling for my liking, and it seemed that sometimes even during a game that it was right after a combo of players or a line was looking like it was starting to gel...

I usually agree with you cross, but my observations have typically been that teams that have more chemistry tend to have more success...  

My opinion is partially based on countless hours of watching, much as I am sure that you do as well as it is self evident from your knowledge...   I also base it on the fact that over decades of playing different team sports including hockey, the teams that I have played on that were successful had what I would have to define as chemistry, as well as talent...   You might play a lot yourself, and with your knowledge base I would not be surprised...

I will agree that the word can be misused or taken out of context on fan or message boards though, but I just wanted to clarify my intentions for using it myself...

So I do believe that chemistry is quite important...   But I also agree and understand that it can be elusive to find, hence trying different combinations of players or changing up an entire line can be necessary...   It's just that to me, there were times when Hartley over did it...   Part of that could very well be that it's been a while since we had a true #1 center, especially when it came to getting a line together to play with Iginla...   Then add complications like at times it seemed like either Tangs had lost a step, or lost interest, or both...   Then there's Cammy, who got bounced around as well...   As you no doubt are aware, the list goes on and on...   Iggy has left the building, so that will no longer be an issue...

With the combined loss of Iggy, Kipper and JBo, the holes in this team will be that much more obvious...   So let's just hope that to Hartley and Feaster the solutions required are as well...

Personally I find chemistry or line chemistry to be one of the ore overrated fan and message board topics and I don't personally believe in it that much because that concludes that night in and night out everyone on th at line is going to be at their best and warrant keeping? I think the goal is to find pairs and find guys that have good chemistry and then be able to rotate a third in there depending on the night and who is feeling it and if it happens to work as a unit great but don't stick with if its not working just because you think it could eventually I develop chemistry. I like Hartley in that regard hell stick with it if its working but if its not he's going to switch it up and I think most good coaches would too.

So the game time approach is, "who's hot"?

Sounds like the seat of our pants approach...still.

You have a team of players and you know the players upside downside.

From game to game, if you don't have consistency in your lineup, you don't have consistency.

If it's a penalize/reward system, how do you temper ill feelings on the roster?

I get the odd adjustments, but 5x/period is just zero foresight into the overall lack of confidence on the roster.

It's quite a statement of confidence from Backlund last year returning from Sweden.

Funny it wasn't the Flames that instilled that in him.

We're getting younger, last thing I want to see is constant line demotions.

Best way to ruin them when they're young. GOTTA let them make their mistakes without a constant fear of reprisal via demotion.

Play your team, and avoid overhauling the lines every game.

Please.

Sven will have to make the players around him better.  A LOT better.

I just don't see Baertschi as being the guy that stirs the drink.  He seems more like a Robin to a Batman.  He's a very skilled, determined, solid player but I don't think he is, nor will be, "the man".  Therefore, to reach the point of being a point-per-game player he will need to play with quality (ie. #1 center) linemates.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good player with some quality potential, but not necessarily cut out to be the offensive catalyst for the team.  I think, without a true #1 C he tops out at a 50-60 point player and there's nothing wrong with that.

From game to game, if you don't have consistency in your lineup, you don't have consistency.

I get the odd adjustments, but 5x/period is just zero foresight into the overall lack of confidence on the roster.

It's quite a statement of confidence from Backlund last year returning from Sweden.

Best way to ruin them when they're young. GOTTA let them make their mistakes without a constant fear of reprisal via demotion.

Please.

Well Hartley did say when he was hired that he expected effort from his players and that they come prepared and in shape. He also said his teams were going to be the among the top in the league in fitness.

He mentioned that the effort they put forward would decide how much ice time he gave them. I don't see that as a detriment or some type of reprisal for mistakes. I think the coaching staff will be more lenient with erros as long as the player is learning from them and still putting in the effort.

I sort of agree with Cross on the chemistry thing at least for this coming season. The chemistry isn't so important for us right now but we do have to find out what the boys can do.

Please.

On backlund, he actually praised Hartley and the new coaching staff multiple times and did feel they were part of his confidence. I can't find the specific quote but he said something along the lines of how Hartley and his staff tell you like it is and send you back out there, where he didn't get the same treatment from Butter and co.

On backlund, he actually praised Hartley and the new coaching staff multiple times and did feel they were part of his confidence. I can't find the specific quote but he said something along the lines of how Hartley and his staff tell you like it is and send you back out there, where he didn't get the same treatment from Butter and co.

But that would post-date his return from Sweden, when he talked about pointing along with the stars of that league and feeling like he has to have the mindset that he's the best player on the ice when he's out there.

I loved hearing that from him, but it also got me wondering why he hasn't ever spoken that way before.

He talked about swagger, and that's the last thing I expected from him.

One of my concerns is that we tear prospects down, rather than build them up.

I sure want to see him have an 82 game season though, it's time. We can't afford continuous IR status every season.

I agree Baertschi needs to have some skills around him, and Backlund has his chance to step to the plate.

God I hope it works out...

• 1 month later...

I have already stated what I thought would be the end game for sven this yr in another thread so won't carry on here but will say from what I'm reading on this thread there are going to be some very disapponted ppl. I hope Im wrong and he is having a slow start but as far as what he has done last yr and in the propect games he hasn't showen me anything that proves him to me any more than a backlund type player pop in a few here and there.

I have already stated what I thought would be the end game for sven this yr in another thread so won't carry on here but will say from what I'm reading on this thread there are going to be some very disapponted ppl. I hope Im wrong and he is having a slow start but as far as what he has done last yr and in the propect games he hasn't showen me anything that proves him to me any more than a backlund type player pop in a few here and there.

Dude, are you going to start up another "Trade Baertschi" thread?  Check out his stats from the end of last season.  7 game point streak?  He has played one shortened season, and you want to compare him to a defensive centre who is just coming into his own as well?

zima,

Training camp hasn't even started yet.

First a 7 game point streak is just that a streak toke him awhile to produce that. As far as backlund goes when he first came here we were hoping for a more of a goal scorer not a back checker. Who knows maybe sven will be the savour of this team but he will need alot of support and I don't see much this yr but alot of growing pains and I can wait hoping for a first rounder # 1 pick we need some young strong talent to strengthen this team. Some of our later picks from the past might even surprise use maybe grundland has come into his own and ferland heres hoping. :unsure:

Archived