Flames Defense

CheersMan

47 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Where did Zaddy say he wasn't interested in signing an extension?

But to your point, there is something about the play and these kind of comments that disturb me.

Almost like there is a split between pro-Sutter and against.

That has a way of dividing a room, since you complain about a style then don't improve under a new one.

What I find odd is why they are reverting to some of the very ways that they used last year that didn't work.

The PP stagnation.  The weak zone entries.  The dump and chase.  F looking lost in the D-zone.

Did we not have a camp to iron this out?  

Everything that is happening now is basically exactly what I expected EXCEPT for one, important thing:

I expected it in January/February.

I thought they'd try and prove something after firing Sutter.   At least make some attempt to back their words up.

From the guys I expected that from:   Nothing.   Markstrom's had a few glimpses of hope.  I'll say that.  But outside of that...man oh man.   

If this is the honeymoon period, we should start looking at the 2024 top 10 pick list.

Please nobody ruin my day and tell me BT traded that away or something.

...btw to stay on topic, there are 7 D in the top 12  https://thehockeynews.com/news/2024-nhl-draft-rankings-the-first-watch-list.   A surprising number of Russian defencemen to mentor under Zadorov, our new captain.  Punt these guys and finish the rebuild around the net in one draft.  All we need is a fan donation address for buyouts.

35 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Everything that is happening now is basically exactly what I expected EXCEPT for one, important thing:

I expected it in January/February.

I thought they'd try and prove something after firing Sutter.   At least make some attempt to back their words up.

From the guys I expected that from:   Nothing.   Markstrom's had a few glimpses of hope.  I'll say that.  But outside of that...man oh man.   

If this is the honeymoon period, we should start looking at the 2024 top 10 pick list.

Please nobody ruin my day and tell me BT traded that away or something.

I think it's a bit of a struggle to break away from a certain structure to one implemented by a rookie coach.  The ones that hated Sutter's show would be skeptical to adopt one similar in approach.  That is not an excuse or valid reason, just a possible scenario.  I suspect there are player that don't want to take a shot to the shins and they are selling out.  Understandable but not a good enough reason.  

I look at the DET loss as a wake up call to playing slow.  Try may have been there, but don't try, do.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think it's a bit of a struggle to break away from a certain structure to one implemented by a rookie coach.  The ones that hated Sutter's show would be skeptical to adopt one similar in approach.  That is not an excuse or valid reason, just a possible scenario.  I suspect there are player that don't want to take a shot to the shins and they are selling out.  Understandable but not a good enough reason.  

I look at the DET loss as a wake up call to playing slow.  Try may have been there, but don't try, do.

they will get faster with age

4 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Osterle looked lost out there at times against the Rags.

surely Porier isn't going to be that much worse?  With Tanev metoring might be a good opportunity to bring him up.

We are lacking creativity out there.  At times, the only offensive threat starts with the D.

With no Ras and no Kylington, we are suffering.

13 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Osterle looked lost out there at times against the Rags.

surely Porier isn't going to be that much worse?  With Tanev metoring might be a good opportunity to bring him up.

Ya I don't know why Osterle is still in the NHL.  He simply doesn't play good Xs and O's.  Runs around too much and wanders out of the box.  I like Gilbert a lot more.  Gilbert keeps it's simple and doesn't try to do too much.   Gilbert will get beat by higher talent but Osterle beats himself.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Though news.  He's our top D prospect.  Hope this doesn't affect his development.

Him, Pelletier, Rozie, Honzek, Kylington...who else? Will we ever see good news again?

Can call up Solovyov, but I'd exercise caution personally and give him multiple practices first. Like Oesterle, it's the disadvantage of playing with players that you've never played with before and trying to adapt to their nuances.

Larkin and DeBrincat were outright awful together in preseason, for example. It takes time to understand the guy(s) that you're playing with.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Him, Pelletier, Rozie, Honzek, Kylington...who else? Will we ever see good news again?

Can call up Solovyov, but I'd exercise caution personally and give him multiple practices first. Like Oesterle, it's the disadvantage of playing with players that you've never played with before and trying to adapt to their nuances.

Larkin and DeBrincat were outright awful together in preseason, for example. It takes time to understand the guy(s) that you're playing with.

Cap makes it tough to call up Solovyov. Could put Rooney on IR but they likely want to save that just in case. 

I'm not really a fan of Oesterle and I don't really see what he's done well, even in pre-season when the Flames liked his game, but it is just while Rasmus is out. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Cap makes it tough to call up Solovyov. Could put Rooney on IR but they likely want to save that just in case. 

I'm not really a fan of Oesterle and I don't really see what he's done well, even in pre-season when the Flames liked his game, but it is just while Rasmus is out. 

It's a tough call, considering Oesterle and Gilbert were 7 and 8 on the depth chart prior to losing Kylington.  Personally, I am not enthused with any of the pairings I have seen to date, even prior to Ras being suspended.  With Kylington being out of the picture, and possibly not ever playing this season, the prospect of trading Hanifin would leave us gasping for air.  Not that Kylington was the solution or Hanifin is the greatest, but losing Hanifin to a trade would set us back quite a bit.  Would need to get back a D-man in any trade like that.  Sort of pointless unless the replacement is better but less experienced.

50 minutes ago, cross16 said:

See if the team confirms but I would strongly suspect this means Rooney is going to be placed on LTIR.  That is the obvious way to make this work within the cap. 

I think you are right.  I think Rooney's status recently showed him to be a longer time than initially suspected.  I suppose the benefit is that if he was health and we waived him, we would have some dead cap space.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think you are right.  I think Rooney's status recently showed him to be a longer time than initially suspected.  I suppose the benefit is that if he was health and we waived him, we would have some dead cap space.

They also didn't need the space so there was no point in putting Rooney on LTIR. 

Rooney was wearing a sling during the Bonfire (kick off party) so I think he was always going to be out long term.