Flames Defense

CheersMan

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Kylington's return announcement coincides with Sutter's departure. Ironic?

Maloney met with Kylington last week, prior to the announcement.

His comments about Kyl coming back seem to cooincide more with the recent vids of him practicing.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Kylington's return announcement coincides with Sutter's departure. Ironic?

I feel like he's been dicked around so much and credit to him he kept with it. Maybe Sutter was the last straw, it was other coaches too.

23 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Our LD should be set for next season.

Hanifin

Zadorov

Kylington

All three will be pending UFAs.  Trade all three next TDL..  Hanifin should get a 1st + prospect + fringe NHLer.  Zadorov and Kylington should get 2nds... But possibly a 1st if they have a good season.

In 2024/25, our LD will be,

Poirier

Kuznetsov

Solovyov

Wouldn't miss a beat.

I believe Weegar and Z are both better on their off side.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I feel like he's been dicked around so much and credit to him he kept with it. Maybe Sutter was the last straw, it was other coaches too.

The logical counter to this narrative is Kylington was allowed to be placed on IR by the NHL so that has to imply an injury (presumably post-concussion problems).  If he was just feuding with Sutter and refused to report, then the NHL wouldn't have allowed him to be placed on IR.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

How so? He had a roster spot and was pegged as part of the defensive future of the team.  As a fan I find it strange/concerning that in this day and age there has been zero news (that Ive heard) concerning his absence. Someone is going extra hard to keep this under wraps.

52 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

I believe Weegar and Z are both better on their off side.

Ya Weegar - Tanev was good together.  But even Tanev should be traded if there's a market for him at the TDL.  RHS RD are hard to come by so therefore Weegar and Andersson has to play RD for long term's sake.

I also think Zadorov tops out as a 4/5/6 guy and cannot be trusted with top minutes.  I would keep Zadorov only if he stays under $4-mil long term.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

The logical counter to this narrative is Kylington was allowed to be placed on IR by the NHL so that has to imply an injury (presumably post-concussion problems).  If he was just feuding with Sutter and refused to report, then the NHL wouldn't have allowed him to be placed on IR.

mental health is still health. If it doesn't happen to be fully injury related, could be mental strain from injuries and other things. I get people don't like the idea that someone can be off due to mental health and think of it as a sort of weakness or stigmatize it. 

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

How so? He had a roster spot and was pegged as part of the defensive future of the team.  As a fan I find it strange/concerning that in this day and age there has been zero news (that Ive heard) concerning his absence. Someone is going extra hard to keep this under wraps.

for me, i think it is mental health, otherwise they'd have said it's just an injury. Whether it is suicidal or other, deep depression etc, I think it is mental health and why it is being kept quiet. 

what I don't get is why BT didn't use the cap space to improve the team in his absence. 

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

for me, i think it is mental health, otherwise they'd have said it's just an injury. Whether it is suicidal or other, deep depression etc, I think it is mental health and why it is being kept quiet. 

what I don't get is why BT didn't use the cap space to improve the team in his absence. 

I would think if it was mental health then the team and league especially would want it known that they are there for Kylington with player supports and programs. Especially if it could be eventually linked to concussion or head injury.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I would think if it was mental health then the team and league especially would want it known that they are there for Kylington with player supports and programs. Especially if it could be eventually linked to concussion or head injury.

I think that was pretty much confirmed in other feeds earlier.

Was player assistance, so it's not an arbitrary thing, it's known.

They won't discuss it outside the team and NHL reps needed.

I really don't car to know.  None of my business.

I just want him to be in a good place when he's here.

Whether it's family or other, just get to that place.

17 hours ago, The_People1 said:

To clarify he was not placed on IR. He was placed on "non roster" status which is a status used for players away from the team for reasons other than injury or illness. It functions the same as IR in that it frees up a roster spot but does not provide cap relief. 

You are permitted to appeal to the NHL if you feel the situation warrants LTIR/Cap space but it was never confirmed if the Flames did that, and it never ended up mattering as they never were i a position to exceed the cap

46 minutes ago, cross16 said:

To clarify he was not placed on IR. He was placed on "non roster" status which is a status used for players away from the team for reasons other than injury or illness. It functions the same as IR in that it frees up a roster spot but does not provide cap relief. 

You are permitted to appeal to the NHL if you feel the situation warrants LTIR/Cap space but it was never confirmed if the Flames did that, and it never ended up mattering as they never were i a position to exceed the cap

Oh interesting thanks.  He appeared on IR all season on capfriendly.

19 hours ago, robrob74 said:

It was Sutter who gave Kyl a chance by using him. He was dicked around by the previous coach (Ward) (Gully) much like Bennet was.

Although Bennet was given the opportunity, just never seemed to gel.

Seems like one of those players was going to flourish elsewhere.

Makes you wonder if we kept him under Sutter what might have been.

12 minutes ago, Otown72 said:

It was Sutter who gave Kyl a chance by using him. He was dicked around by the previous coach (Ward) (Gully) much like Bennet was.

Although Bennet was given the opportunity, just never seemed to gel.

Seems like one of those players was going to flourish elsewhere.

Makes you wonder if we kept him under Sutter what might have been.

Ya that Tkachuk - Bennett line is looking pretty good right about now.  Wish we didn't care about winning during a rebuild and traded Backlund to give Bennett the ice time to develop.  Things could've turned out differently.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Ya that Tkachuk - Bennett line is looking pretty good right about now.  Wish we didn't care about winning during a rebuild and traded Backlund to give Bennett the ice time to develop.  Things could've turned out differently.

Or had Sutter managed to provide opportunity, then maybe we would never have traded Bennett.  It was supposed to be a fresh start.  There wasn't anything remotely like that.  Maybe too late, but I never got the sense that Bennett had a chance under Sutter.

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Or had Sutter managed to provide opportunity, then maybe we would never have traded Bennett.  It was supposed to be a fresh start.  There wasn't anything remotely like that.  Maybe too late, but I never got the sense that Bennett had a chance under Sutter.

Well, Sutter wasn't the right hire for this team at that time.  He has no patience for a rebuild but we had players, like Bennett, who still needed time.

Now we have FLA's has beens.  FLA has Tkachuk - Bennett entering their primes and peaking at the right time.

I remember Sutter saying he was sad to see Bennet go wishing he had more time with him.

We were pretty deep at C 

With Lindy, Monny, Backlund Bennet.

Sutter had Monny on 4th line 

Sorry, kind of derailed the 'Flames D' thread 😆

• Like 1

Has anyone thought Hanifin and Andersson aren't very good at being actual defencemen or is it just me? I actually don't give a Satoshi Nakamoto how good a dman is on the rush or his bomb shot. I've lived through Dion Phaneuf.

Can you be a great dman first and that other stuff second? Because I'm not seeing it.

If I want to watch dmen constantly pushing their luck and giving up 2-on-1s, I can just watch the Sarnia Sting, honestly.

Just defend your zone, first and foremost. We play a heavy risk game at the offensive blueline. I've always felt that.

"Need the D to jump", yeah I get it. Don't need them always jumping. That's readable, odd man rush the other way when you lose that 50-50 game you're playing.

Just be a defencemen first, is all I ask.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Has anyone thought Hanifin and Andersson aren't very good at being actual defencemen or is it just me? I actually don't give a Satoshi Nakamoto how good a dman is on the rush or his bomb shot. I've lived through Dion Phaneuf.

Can you be a great dman first and that other stuff second? Because I'm not seeing it.

If I want to watch dmen constantly pushing their luck and giving up 2-on-1s, I can just watch the Sarnia Sting, honestly.

Just defend your zone, first and foremost. We play a heavy risk game at the offensive blueline. I've always felt that.

"Need the D to jump", yeah I get it. Don't need them always jumping. That's readable, odd man rush the other way when you lose that 50-50 game you're playing.

Just be a defencemen first, is all I ask.

Bang on man.  Countless 2-on-1s this season where it was basically a 2-on-0.  Opponents passed the puck right through our D and scored.  Cannot defend a 2-on-1 but still allow so many.

But here's my thoughts.  D usually smarten up after 28/29... We've seen it with some of the Flames previous D.  Wideman, Brodie, even Giordano... Started as offensive/hybrid D.  Eventually smartened up and became stud defensively.

Meanwhile, young stud defensive D rarely develop scoring later in their careers.

Hanifin has all the tools but he's mid-IQ. Anderson is smaller and less gifted but is smarter.  I think Anderson will get it eventually.  But he needs time.

Zadorov is already 28.  He's never going to get it.  So leaky.  Standing there in position but can't stop cross ice passes that go right through his legs.  Very average defending.

Tanev too old.  Seen him get beat where two years ago, he wouldn't have been.

Kylington missed a year with presumably brain injury.  He might never get back to his previous level.

Weegar has grown on me.  Most dependable D we have and still at a good age for another 4 years... (Contract is still bad but that's not the topic right now).  Weegar is what Anderson can become defensively.  Just give Anderson another 2 or 3 years.

On 5/4/2023 at 6:30 PM, The_People1 said:

Bang on man.  Countless 2-on-1s this season where it was basically a 2-on-0.  Opponents passed the puck right through our D and scored.  Cannot defend a 2-on-1 but still allow so many.

But here's my thoughts.  D usually smarten up after 28/29... We've seen it with some of the Flames previous D.  Wideman, Brodie, even Giordano... Started as offensive/hybrid D.  Eventually smartened up and became stud defensively.

Meanwhile, young stud defensive D rarely develop scoring later in their careers.

Hanifin has all the tools but he's mid-IQ. Anderson is smaller and less gifted but is smarter.  I think Anderson will get it eventually.  But he needs time.

Zadorov is already 28.  He's never going to get it.  So leaky.  Standing there in position but can't stop cross ice passes that go right through his legs.  Very average defending.

Tanev too old.  Seen him get beat where two years ago, he wouldn't have been.

Kylington missed a year with presumably brain injury.  He might never get back to his previous level.

Weegar has grown on me.  Most dependable D we have and still at a good age for another 4 years... (Contract is still bad but that's not the topic right now).  Weegar is what Anderson can become defensively.  Just give Anderson another 2 or 3 years.

Without getting into the Kylington thing I generally agree with most if this take.  And yeah.   I have knocked Weegar in here but it was really just the contract I was knocking.   He's a real D.

Let's just say, if we get a top D in the first round this draft, it would not be a bad thing.   Andersson is a bright spot but he's just one guy.  He projects to me like a very good 2nd liner that  has a chance of peaking onto the first line of an average team.   He good.

Any D we draft now will start to have a major impact in 5-7 years if they turn out.   And ultimately that is why we say 5-7 years for a rebuild.    That's the best way to get that caliber With team chemistry and decent contracts. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2023 at 5:37 PM, jjgallow said:

Without getting into the Kylington thing I generally agree with most if this take.  And yeah.   I have knocked Weegar in here but it was really just the contract I was knocking.   He's a real D.

Let's just say, if we get a top D in the first round this draft, it would not be a bad thing.   Andersson is a bright spot but he's just one guy.  He projects to me like a very good 2nd liner that  has a chance of peaking onto the first line of an average team.   He good.

Any D we draft now will start to have a major impact in 5-7 years if they turn out.   And ultimately that is why we say 5-7 years for a rebuild.    That's the best way to get that caliber With team chemistry and decent contracts. 

It seems most D we pick if they are noit pikeing in 4or5 yrs they trade them just look Kulak he just hit the NHL and they gave him away.

• 2 months later...