Flames Defense

CheersMan

22 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Oliver Kylington is showing well at times. The way he skates and razzal dazzals in traffic with the puck at times reminds me of Scott Neidermayer and Erik Karlsson. Last evening vs Jets there were at least two occasions where he reminded me of such players. At 21.5yrs, the sky is the limit for this kid. With Hanifin, Valimaki, Andersson and now Kylington, our defence is shaping up nicely for natural progression within the Org as our veteran dmen age. I think our defense is in fine shape.  

He's making a case for keeping him over Valimaki.

His game is better defined at the pro level right now.

Not sure that he'll be a top pairing guy on this team, but he's playing smarter in limited minutes.

Smarter than Brodie (safer plays), more offensively aware, makes less glaring mistakes he can;t recover from.

Ras is so good with his stick that he doesn;t get exposed for slower skating.

If he could get in better shooting positions, he would create many more chances.

Get him on on the PP with someone like Neal or Janko to tip pucks and he would be gold.

Hanifin is still a work in progress.  I like his game overall.  He fits with Hammer.

He's a bit light on the puck at times, so he gives it away too often.

Defensievly, he's better than Dougie.  Smarter and takes less peanlties.

Gio is still a beast.  Get a little worried about his pinching at times, especially on the PP.

Overall, he's having a Norris season.

Part of that is thanks to Brodie.

Gio makes Brodie better, but it's also true in reverse.

Brodie is improving his defensive game, way better than last season.

Smart use of his stick.  Positioning over physical play, which is a stong point of his game.

Get's burnt puckwatching some times, but it's mostly trying to play bouncing pucks with his stick and not trapping it.

Overall, 6 solid everyday defensemen.  A 7th recoving.  A depth guy there just in case.  

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Gotta like the way the minutes are getting spread out amongst the dmen. No liabilities out there and no one getting worn out as we approach the playoffs.

1674bbb.jpg

Holy crap, Andersson playing almost as many minutes as Gio. More minutes than Hamonic or Hanifin. The coach has some serious trust in that guy. Love everything about that. And I remember people being so doubtful about him making it to the NHL this year (or even with the Flames) and this guy is already getting ready to take over some big minutes.

8 hours ago, Khrox said:

Holy crap, Andersson playing almost as many minutes as Gio. More minutes than Hamonic or Hanifin. The coach has some serious trust in that guy. Love everything about that. And I remember people being so doubtful about him making it to the NHL this year (or even with the Flames) and this guy is already getting ready to take over some big minutes.

And with PP and SH time also.

On 2018-12-28 at 9:15 AM, travel_dude said:

He's making a case for keeping him over Valimaki.

His game is better defined at the pro level right now.

Not sure that he'll be a top pairing guy on this team, but he's playing smarter in limited minutes.

Smarter than Brodie (safer plays), more offensively aware, makes less glaring mistakes he can;t recover from.

Ras is so good with his stick that he doesn;t get exposed for slower skating.

If he could get in better shooting positions, he would create many more chances.

Get him on on the PP with someone like Neal or Janko to tip pucks and he would be gold.

Hanifin is still a work in progress.  I like his game overall.  He fits with Hammer.

He's a bit light on the puck at times, so he gives it away too often.

Defensievly, he's better than Dougie.  Smarter and takes less peanlties.

Gio is still a beast.  Get a little worried about his pinching at times, especially on the PP.

Overall, he's having a Norris season.

Part of that is thanks to Brodie.

Gio makes Brodie better, but it's also true in reverse.

Brodie is improving his defensive game, way better than last season.

Smart use of his stick.  Positioning over physical play, which is a stong point of his game.

Get's burnt puckwatching some times, but it's mostly trying to play bouncing pucks with his stick and not trapping it.

Overall, 6 solid everyday defensemen.  A 7th recoving.  A depth guy there just in case.  

Blessed with defensive depth we didn’t even know we had. It’s almost like our secret weapon heading into the playoffs. I’ve become a “Fan”tenberg of Oscars over his last few games too! 

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Did Fanta play much PK in LA?

I honestly don't know but we didn't sign him for his offence. Both Brodie and Hanifin aren't noted for their defense. 

Fantenberg topped the pk minutes against the devils. I just find it interesting 

5 hours ago, Ward54 said:

I honestly don't know but we didn't sign him for his offence. Both Brodie and Hanifin aren't noted for their defense. 

Fantenberg topped the pk minutes against the devils. I just find it interesting 

I agree. Fantenberg has been a really good add as a stay at home D man. Excellent research by the Flames in bringing him in. He's very steady in our zone.

Considering we typically see adjustment periods with players on new teams, he seems to have just slid right in.

Our D depth is unreal. I wonder if we use someone at the draft table in a trade?

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I agree. Fantenberg has been a really good add as a stay at home D man. Excellent research by the Flames in bringing him in. He's very steady in our zone.

Considering we typically see adjustment periods with players on new teams, he seems to have just slid right in.

Our D depth is unreal. I wonder if we use someone at the draft table in a trade?

I love what he said in his first Fan interview, somewhere along the lines of, “hockey is hockey anywhere you play.” 

My guess is, get the puck, pass it up ice to the nearest outlet and go.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

There's a very good chance we re-sign Fanta.

Under-appreciated by LA perhaps.

Plays big, steady, excellent mentor for rookies.

Would like to see if he's also effectove on RD, since it's about our only "weakness" on D.

BT loves to make moves before the draft, so there's a good chance we see a move then, using someone like Brodie.

Gio is the ultimate mentor for our D.

He shows them what it takes to be a great player.

Fitness.  Attention to detail.  Showing up for practice ready.  

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There's a very good chance we re-sign Fanta.

Under-appreciated by LA perhaps.

Plays big, steady, excellent mentor for rookies.

Would like to see if he's also effectove on RD, since it's about our only "weakness" on D.

BT loves to make moves before the draft, so there's a good chance we see a move then, using someone like Brodie.

Gio is the ultimate mentor for our D.

He shows them what it takes to be a great player.

Fitness.  Attention to detail.  Showing up for practice ready.  

It's hard to say mentor. His NHL experience is limited. Although he's been at the pro level for 5 years between the SEL and the K.

I hope this pick up works for both sides.

Hopefully we're a better fit for him than LA was. It happens.

Again, this add at trade deadline looks like he was definitely a target.

Gives me a lot of faith in the homework from the org.

Say what you want about Burke, but he had an exit strategy and left us with a team builder.

No apologies needed, he got us the GM we needed.

Nice to watch BT growing into full autonomy and putting his stamp on this team.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

It's hard to say mentor. His NHL experience is limited. Although he's been at the pro level for 5 years between the SEL and the K.

I hope this pick up works for both sides.

Hopefully we're a better fit for him than LA was. It happens.

Again, this add at trade deadline looks like he was definitely a target.

Gives me a lot of faith in the homework from the org.

Say what you want about Burke, but he had an exit strategy and left us with a team builder.

No apologies needed, he got us the GM we needed.

Nice to watch BT growing into full autonomy and putting his stamp on this team.

Does he actually have full autonomy though? By the sounds of the Zucker no deal, it could be one that was ousted by our execs.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Ya Fanta is only 27 so still has some juice left.

I would move Hanifin and Brodie for a RHS C so can play 1A/1B with Monahan.  Hopefully, someone will bite on Hanifin.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I would move Hanifin and Brodie for a RHS C so can play 1A/1B with Monahan.  Hopefully, someone will bite on Hanifin.

The general comments hear and the GDT is that Hanifin sucks.

I get it.

Yet, last year Brodie and Hamonic sucked.

For all the games Hanifin has played, he still just a young guy.

Gio wasn;t even a full time NHL player at that age.

Unlike others, I think he has the room to grow as a player.

I do agree about Fanta.  He's really just starting to adapt.

Playing strongly.

If you are shipping out Brodie, then I hope you get a younger C/RW.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Are you sure that you're sure on Hanifin? Are you sure he doesn't need adjustment time, ala Hamonic last year?

He's young.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The general comments hear and the GDT is that Hanifin sucks.

I get it.

Yet, last year Brodie and Hamonic sucked.

For all the games Hanifin has played, he still just a young guy.

Gio wasn;t even a full time NHL player at that age.

Unlike others, I think he has the room to grow as a player.

I do agree about Fanta.  He's really just starting to adapt.

Playing strongly.

If you are shipping out Brodie, then I hope you get a younger C/RW.

If some people can't see the talent Hanifin possesses they have no clue about talent to begin with.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

If some people can't see the talent Hanifin possesses they have no clue about talent to begin with.

Same can be said in the opposite. He's looked as thick as a brick too often.

He sure doesn't look anything like where he was drafted. So he was overrated then....

19 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Same can be said in the opposite. He's looked as thick as a brick too often.

He sure doesn't look anything like where he was drafted. So he was overrated then....

I won't repeat myself for you but Hamilton was the same his first year here.

14 hours ago, DHT said:

We have to give Hanifin another season before we could properly assess him. He does sometime drive me crazy on his gaffs but not as much as Brodie's gaffs on my nerves.

There is no doubt Hanifin has to improve his thinking and defensive coverages.